Dog Owner Chat v4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby Saracirce » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:41 am

Mooshidog wrote:Ok my dog HATES getting her teeth brushed.

Any help with that ?

https://youtu.be/SfsUfaeeXKY Keep in mind that A) this dog is very familiar with this type of training so she catches on quicker then your dog probably will, B) this dog does not appear to already have a strong negative association with having her teeth brushed and C) training sessions need to be kept short and sweet. 5 to 10 minutes tops. ALWAYS end on a good note.
"Only ignorance! Only ignorance! How can you talk about only ignorance? Don't you know that it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness? - and which does the most mischief, heaven only knows. If people can say 'Oh! I did not know, I did not mean any harm,' they think it is all right."
~ Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
Saracirce

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dream~ » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:08 am

Marking! Also I decided to fill out the form below as I am actually researching for a new dog.

Have you had dogs before? What breeds? I live on a ranch, and we have always had dogs. My family used to breed rottweilers, but we don't anymore. We currently own a cavanese (havanese/cavalier cross), and Sunshine our great pyrnees/anatolian mix (maybe at least), Arctic a anatolian shepherd livestock guardian, and Duke our catahoula/pit mix. We have owned "Cow dogs" in the past which were mixes of mainly catahoula and some other breeds, that we used for rounding up cattle. I have lots of experience with dogs.
Are there any breeds that have already caught your eye? If so, why? I have considered many breeds, and I am still researching but some have stuck out more so then others. I personally would love to own a American Akita (Not only do I love their appearance, they seem to have wonderful personalities), Border Collies I have always loved, they are so smart and I love their personalities, Kooikerhondjes I have also been considering, I like their personalities and how they are a bit more laid back then BC's. I have recently been looking into Chinooks, and I really do like them a lot, but their temperaments do differ a lot per dog. I was looking at Beagles but I have made the decision that their personalities wouldn't match well. I love dogs that are affectionate, smart and easily trainable.
How much time a day do you have to devote to training your dog? Plenty of time! I plan to spend a lot of time training him/her.
What kind of grooming needs are you prepared to handle? Anything really... I would prefer a dog that doesn't shed loads, but I wouldn't make my overall decision based on this matter, and I can handle any grooming needed.
What kind of energy level are you looking for? I do not want a low energy dog, but I don't want a super high one either, probably somewhere in between medium-high.
What do you plan on doing with your dog? I am mostly looking for a companion, but I will train my dog and if I really want to I might do a sport... I may show sometime, not positive though.
What size dog are you wanting? This matter is a bit tough. My family travels a lot, so I'm not really looking for a huge dog, but at the same time I don't want a small dog, so medium I guess. Though I'm not looking specifically at size, I'm trying to find the best dog personality wise first, so I would look into large or small breeds possibly, especially if I think their personalities are a fit.
What age dog are you looking for? I would like to adopt a puppy, of course over seven weeks old... But I don't want a older dog as I fully intend to train it. I have considered adopting from a shelter, I will consider that.
What kind of livestyle do you live? Ah... Well I'm fairly active, as is the rest of my family. A typical day is slightly crazy :) but then some days are more relaxed. I don't want a dog that's constantly going to want to run in circles, I'd prefer one that'd be content to relax at some times.
Dream~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby shadow~wolf » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:41 am

Lucky sometimes guards his toys from the pup. Any way to fix this?

𝐬𝐡𝐚𝐝𝐨𝐰
𝑠𝘩𝑒/𝘩𝑒𝑟
═════
█████
─────

═════

───────────────────
hi! my name is shadow &
i am a dog enthusiast &
writer! artist, roleplayer.
pms open!!
═══════════
TH ✧ art ✧ link here ✧ ©
───────────────────

shadow~wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:49 am

Shadow~Wolf wrote:Lucky sometimes guards his toys from the pup. Any way to fix this?

Keep toys away from them when they are together would be the easiest.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:58 am

Dream~ wrote:Marking! Also I decided to fill out the form below as I am actually researching for a new dog.

Have you had dogs before? What breeds? I live on a ranch, and we have always had dogs. My family used to breed rottweilers, but we don't anymore. We currently own a cavanese (havanese/cavalier cross), and Sunshine our great pyrnees/anatolian mix (maybe at least), Arctic a anatolian shepherd livestock guardian, and Duke our catahoula/pit mix. We have owned "Cow dogs" in the past which were mixes of mainly catahoula and some other breeds, that we used for rounding up cattle. I have lots of experience with dogs.
Are there any breeds that have already caught your eye? If so, why? I have considered many breeds, and I am still researching but some have stuck out more so then others. I personally would love to own a American Akita (Not only do I love their appearance, they seem to have wonderful personalities), Border Collies I have always loved, they are so smart and I love their personalities, Kooikerhondjes I have also been considering, I like their personalities and how they are a bit more laid back then BC's. I have recently been looking into Chinooks, and I really do like them a lot, but their temperaments do differ a lot per dog. I was looking at Beagles but I have made the decision that their personalities wouldn't match well. I love dogs that are affectionate, smart and easily trainable.
How much time a day do you have to devote to training your dog? Plenty of time! I plan to spend a lot of time training him/her.
What kind of grooming needs are you prepared to handle? Anything really... I would prefer a dog that doesn't shed loads, but I wouldn't make my overall decision based on this matter, and I can handle any grooming needed.
What kind of energy level are you looking for? I do not want a low energy dog, but I don't want a super high one either, probably somewhere in between medium-high.
What do you plan on doing with your dog? I am mostly looking for a companion, but I will train my dog and if I really want to I might do a sport... I may show sometime, not positive though.
What size dog are you wanting? This matter is a bit tough. My family travels a lot, so I'm not really looking for a huge dog, but at the same time I don't want a small dog, so medium I guess. Though I'm not looking specifically at size, I'm trying to find the best dog personality wise first, so I would look into large or small breeds possibly, especially if I think their personalities are a fit.
What age dog are you looking for? I would like to adopt a puppy, of course over seven weeks old... But I don't want a older dog as I fully intend to train it. I have considered adopting from a shelter, I will consider that.
What kind of livestyle do you live? Ah... Well I'm fairly active, as is the rest of my family. A typical day is slightly crazy :) but then some days are more relaxed. I don't want a dog that's constantly going to want to run in circles, I'd prefer one that'd be content to relax at some times.

Since you're willing to consider adopting from a shelter I'd suggest looking at shelters/rescues and seeing which one(s) you'd want to work with. Many have waiting lists for specific breeds and/or may be able to find you a dog based on your requirements. For example you may think a breed or mix won't be for you but an individual dog may come in that matches what you want in a dog.

If just looking at breeds I wouldn't have considered a Chinese Crested, but based on other things I was looking for in a dog...age, sex, temperament, energy level, etc. Chloe was a perfect fit for me and my family. I found her on http://www.Petfinder.com
Last edited by Imzadi83 on Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby liv :) » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:58 am

Have you had dogs before? What breeds? Never have had a dog before.
Are there any breeds that have already caught your eye? If so, why? The Irish Setter has caught my eye, but mostly because I've taken plenty of different online quizzes on a dog breed that would be good for me. The majority said Irish Setter, which I found interesting. Of course, I'm not going to take a quiz seriously when it comes to finding the right dog so I'm hoping that at least a few members on here can recommend some good breeds.
How much time a day do you have to devote to training your dog? 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending on how busy I am that day.
What kind of grooming needs are you prepared to handle? I'd like a dog that doesn't need to be taken to a professional groomer in order to keep their coat in shape. I'd be willing to groom a dog every other day, if that's what it takes.
What kind of energy level are you looking for? I'd love to have a high energy dog that could spend hours outside playing while losing little energy. My ideal dog would be able to be kept busy by two short walks (10-30 minutes) a long walk (45 minutes - 1 hour and a half) plus extra playtime outside in the yard every day.
What do you plan on doing with your dog? I plan to do some training with it, teach it the basics and perhaps a few extra tricks. I'd want it to be a good hiking and jogging companion, too. I would love to travel with the dog, for example I'd want to be able to take it camping and to my family's cottage. I'd also like if the dog would like swimming.
What size dog are you wanting? I'd prefer a medium to large dog, around the size of a Border Collie.
What age dog are you looking for? Any age that is young enough to be trained.
What kind of livestyle do you live? (Active, couch potato etc) We are fairly active, but do tend to have a lot of time on our hands when hockey season isn't going on. My life is more relaxed than I'd like it to be, so if we ever got a dog then I would be 100% fine with making my lifestyle more active,
liv :)

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:01 am

Bahz❤Hockey wrote:Have you had dogs before? What breeds? Never have had a dog before.
Are there any breeds that have already caught your eye? If so, why? The Irish Setter has caught my eye, but mostly because I've taken plenty of different online quizzes on a dog breed that would be good for me. The majority said Irish Setter, which I found interesting. Of course, I'm not going to take a quiz seriously when it comes to finding the right dog so I'm hoping that at least a few members on here can recommend some good breeds.
How much time a day do you have to devote to training your dog? 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending on how busy I am that day.
What kind of grooming needs are you prepared to handle? I'd like a dog that doesn't need to be taken to a professional groomer in order to keep their coat in shape. I'd be willing to groom a dog every other day, if that's what it takes.
What kind of energy level are you looking for? I'd love to have a high energy dog that could spend hours outside playing while losing little energy. My ideal dog would be able to be kept busy by two short walks (10-30 minutes) a long walk (45 minutes - 1 hour and a half) plus extra playtime outside in the yard every day.
What do you plan on doing with your dog? I plan to do some training with it, teach it the basics and perhaps a few extra tricks. I'd want it to be a good hiking and jogging companion, too. I would love to travel with the dog, for example I'd want to be able to take it camping and to my family's cottage. I'd also like if the dog would like swimming.
What size dog are you wanting? I'd prefer a medium to large dog, around the size of a Border Collie.
What age dog are you looking for? Any age that is young enough to be trained.
What kind of livestyle do you live? (Active, couch potato etc) We are fairly active, but do tend to have a lot of time on our hands when hockey season isn't going on. My life is more relaxed than I'd like it to be, so if we ever got a dog then I would be 100% fine with making my lifestyle more active,

Actually based on that Irish Setters sound like a decent suggestion.
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blu Malinois » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:49 pm

As Middy has already mentioned, she came to visit and it was super fun! Izzy, Kes, Ace, and Charlie all had a great time on the hike and so did I. During the hike, Kes decided to be a goof and shoved her whole face into the water and just sat there for a few seconds, Charlie tried to avoid the water as much as possible, Izzy had fun rock hopping, and Ace was a dummy and was mouthing and drinking so much water and also ended up tossing around a huge tree root he found. We also ended up playing with the flirt pole with them as well! All of it was a really fun, awesome adventure and Ace slept like rock that night! :)

Last edited by Blu Malinois on Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blu Malinois

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MacGyver » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:41 pm

*new thread smell* Hi~, long time no post <3 Dropping a photo of Dixie here to mark the new thread! We haven't been up to a whole lot lately due to the weather. Dixie just can't handle the heat. :c
Image Image
████████████████████████ ███ ███ █████
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰

█████ ███ ███ ████████████████████████
▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪
Image Image Image Image Image
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
DIXIE INSTA ART

ɪ ᴀᴍ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴀᴅ ᴋᴇᴇᴘᴇʀ
HaruMakoNagisa
ReiRinMomo
SousukeNitori

CSCC Iwatobi Dog Chat

WIP
MacGyver

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lizbutt » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:57 pm

Not sure if you guys love to spoil your pooches eith collars or gear, but I just ordered from my favorite Etsy shop and should havr everything by the 21st of June. C:

PuddleJumperPups makes stunning collars, leashes and harnesses as well as accessories for those.

Val is getting a smaller collar that maxes out at 16 inches plus 3 larger ones that go from 16 to 26 inchs. Once the order is delivered, I'll take a ton of photos to share!

You can call me a L I Z B U T T

{coffee lover}
Sign: Gemini

My username use to be Carry.
Lizbutt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me