LOCK? DELETE? OLD Rabbit Owners- NEW LINK INSIDE

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat!

Postby thunderofthedrum » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:32 am

Sleipnir wrote:Excuse the double-post.

So I'm a breeder, yeah? I'm planning to go to Nationals in Texas this year, except the nurse who was caring for the first guy has Ebola and her dog, which they are not putting down, could carry it. Dogs can be asymptomatic characters. It spreads about like the flu...

I have about five rabbits I wanna take. Thoughts? I'm trying to decide if I ought to stay home.

Have they discussed what species are known to carry it?
And where are the Nationals in Texas?
Ultimately it could already have spread, who knows. There is really no right answer.
thunderofthedrum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sleipnir » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:40 am

No, not as well as I can tell. But Nationals are in Fort Worth. The nurse went in very early as well as I know; it should be alright. City people don't show rabbits for the most part. But I dunno, we're going to send in the entry and if hraka hits the fan we'll just scratch it and stay home.
Sleipnir

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _breezy_star_ » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:34 am

Sleipnir wrote:No, not as well as I can tell. But Nationals are in Fort Worth. The nurse went in very early as well as I know; it should be alright. City people don't show rabbits for the most part. But I dunno, we're going to send in the entry and if hraka hits the fan we'll just scratch it and stay home.

There has been lots of talk about it on the ARBA Facebook page.
I think most people aren't worried about it. I don't know what to think, but I didn't plan on going anyway. lol

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
🐶 Ginger . Brody
🐱 Kieran . Delaney . Ian
🐭 Dorian
🐰 Beau . Davey . Juniper . Sorren

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Daisywolf14 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:04 pm

So exitced! This Thursday is the first meeting for my 4H clubs new rabbit project! I'm also a little nervous since I am the teen leader.
Does anyone have any tips on being a teen leader?
"I love rabbits, cavies, goats, horses, steer, swine, poultry, dogs and cats"

Daisywolf14

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Baby bunnies! » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:58 pm

Daisywolf14 wrote:So exitced! This Thursday is the first meeting for my 4H clubs new rabbit project! I'm also a little nervous since I am the teen leader.
Does anyone have any tips on being a teen leader?

Yep! I am have been a teen leader so I will PM you advice and tips.

Also
_breezy_star_ wrote:
Sleipnir wrote:No, not as well as I can tell. But Nationals are in Fort Worth. The nurse went in very early as well as I know; it should be alright. City people don't show rabbits for the most part. But I dunno, we're going to send in the entry and if hraka hits the fan we'll just scratch it and stay home.

There has been lots of talk about it on the ARBA Facebook page.
I think most people aren't worried about it. I don't know what to think, but I didn't plan on going anyway. lol

I did some research for you about the ebola virus. The likely hood of catching it is low. It is harder to catch then the common cold or flu. The virus can not live long in water (like a couple mins) and does not last long in the air. Bodily fluids is the most common/(almost) only way it could spread. Meaning the person would have to cough on your face in order for you to maybe become infected. Blood, urine, saliva, and sweat are other bodily fluids that would carry the virus. So don't shake anyone hands there. xD
The nurse's dog would have to slobber, kiss, or bite something to truly spread the disease (if the dog has it).
So in all technicalities you should be okay. Just wash hands frequently, stay away from coughing, and try not to shake many hands. And at your hotel (or wherever you stay) wash your face every morn and night.
Status/sayings: Life being consumed by rabbits and dancing.
Hi I am Baby bunnies! but you can call me BB
I love to do art. Before December 2014 all art that I did was with a mouse. I now work with a Bamboo tablet. Also please note that I expect something in return for customs, I put time into every piece.
I own rabbits! I love to show my rabbits and and have gotten many first place ribbons, a lot of Best of Breed, Best Opposite Breed, Best of Variety, & Best Opposite Variety awards. My rabbits have also gotten Reserve in Show and Best 6 class. I, personally, have gotten Reserve Champion and Grand Champion awards. I take part in Rabbit Royalty! If you have any questions about Rabbits then please ask and I shall answer as best that I can.
Info on how to properly raise rabbits and show them. Rabbit Blog
Rabbit Q&A ~ Baby bunnies! and teresa8oats

Image Image Image
Baby bunnies!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Daisywolf14 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:42 am

So the meeting went fantastic I have a few pepole that would like holland lops from me and the others are looking around for what breed they like only one currently has a rabbit lion head mix.
So yup and I've got a show tomorrow so wish me luck
"I love rabbits, cavies, goats, horses, steer, swine, poultry, dogs and cats"

Daisywolf14

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SvetlanaLove » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:58 am

Hiya guys. I have a Black New Zealand white/ Half lop rabbit named Dusk.
I got her through my Animal Care course, where we can take home pets for free, and I picked her up out of her cage on the first day of my course and something clicked with me. I said to myself `this is my rabbit. I love her' and I asked and begged my mother to let me take her home and eventually I was able to. Previously I had never been largely interested in rabbits but when I cuddled her for the first time I realised I really wanted one, only her. She has quite a personality as she is always running around her play pen and she has a good connection with my other pets (3 chickens and 1 cat). Dusk likes stormy weather and, much like my cat, runs around with excitement in the rain. I love my girl so very much, I was so happy that I was allowed to take her home and adore this little one, who is not so little anymore. Here is a photo I got of her on the first day I bought her home at just over a month old. Here
I am open to trades! My only rule is that if you cancel, that you send a message with the cancellation and tell me why you did so,
SvetlanaLove

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby dori. » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:12 am

Somethings up with Snowy....
As I last posted, Snowy was getting better, she got over her fears of people around her. But yesterday, I walked into the bunny shed, Dash ran up to me. Snowy sat in her cage, staring at me for a while. She looked okay, came up to her and she ran away. I was totally excepting that to happen, only she just kept backing and backing away from me. I came out of the shed, she sat there for a few minutes, then just acted like normal, and was eating with Dash, running about, drinking fine.
Maybe something happened, something's scared her?.

Dash is fine though, silly bun has her spring coat, but it's not even winter here yet. She's usually dark brown this time of the year, but she's very light brown (about the colour of a biscuit stick). She tried to get on me yesterday, only she found out she couldn't get any further than the height of the plastic chair.
ImageImage
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xx hi i'm doris and
xx i'm 100% Meme Trash

xxImage
xxImage
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx
dori.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SvetlanaLove » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:28 am

I think the best thing you can do is speak calmly to her, go up slowly with your hand reached out so she can smell your hand. The more confident she get that your good and not bad, you can raise the level from smelling, to patting and eventually to picking her up. This will take some time but it has always worked for me.
Show her that your a good human and you wont hurt her. Just like you would when meeting a new dog.
I dont know why she is scared but at my course we have two rabbits who were not very trusting of humans but I have tried to get them to be better trusting of us through pats, smells and eventually a daily cuddle.
I am open to trades! My only rule is that if you cancel, that you send a message with the cancellation and tell me why you did so,
SvetlanaLove

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby dori. » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:52 am

SvetlanaLove wrote:I think the best thing you can do is speak calmly to her, go up slowly with your hand reached out so she can smell your hand. The more confident she get that your good and not bad, you can raise the level from smelling, to patting and eventually to picking her up. This will take some time but it has always worked for me.
Show her that your a good human and you wont hurt her. Just like you would when meeting a new dog.
I dont know why she is scared but at my course we have two rabbits who were not very trusting of humans but I have tried to get them to be better trusting of us through pats, smells and eventually a daily cuddle.

Yeah, I've been doing that, and she was getting better day by day. I'll get there, I know we will ^^.
We're not actaully sure why she is scared, but it may be because she was born under the bunny shed with her siblings, and we couldn't catch her for a good 6 weeks, she had no human contact, if we approached her she'd run back to Dash and so would her siblings.
ImageImage
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xx hi i'm doris and
xx i'm 100% Meme Trash

xxImage
xxImage
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx
dori.

My pets
My items
My wishlist