LOCK? DELETE? OLD Rabbit Owners- NEW LINK INSIDE

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat!

Postby PeachFuzz » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:36 am

@pleighh
Just letting you know; wire bottom cages are a no-no! It will hurt the rabbit''s feet and they can end up with Soar Hocks. Solid bottoms are much better for the bunny.
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Baby bunnies! » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:13 am

PeachFuzz wrote:@pleighh
Just letting you know; wire bottom cages are a no-no! It will hurt the rabbit''s feet and they can end up with Soar Hocks. Solid bottoms are much better for the bunny.

Just pointing out two sides to a story.
Wire cages can prevent diseases because it is more sanitary due to the fact that the bun isn't in contact with it's feces. However Rex rabbits and giants will always do better in a solid floor cage. But other rabbits shouldn't get sore hocks at all if properly cared for. Rabbits can get sore hocks in solid floor cages or carpeted cages if they sit in their urine. (Urin burns)
EZ mats are great fr those who want as sanitary, easy to clean mat for any rabbit on wire. Any rabbit I've 7 pounds needs a mat so that they have the choice to use it.

So it is a mater of breed, weight, grooming, cleaning, and how well the owner takes care of the rabbit and it's living space.

Everyone has opinions. No right or wrong answers as long as it ends up on a happy healthy rabbit.
Status/sayings: Life being consumed by rabbits and dancing.
Hi I am Baby bunnies! but you can call me BB
I love to do art. Before December 2014 all art that I did was with a mouse. I now work with a Bamboo tablet. Also please note that I expect something in return for customs, I put time into every piece.
I own rabbits! I love to show my rabbits and and have gotten many first place ribbons, a lot of Best of Breed, Best Opposite Breed, Best of Variety, & Best Opposite Variety awards. My rabbits have also gotten Reserve in Show and Best 6 class. I, personally, have gotten Reserve Champion and Grand Champion awards. I take part in Rabbit Royalty! If you have any questions about Rabbits then please ask and I shall answer as best that I can.
Info on how to properly raise rabbits and show them. Rabbit Blog
Rabbit Q&A ~ Baby bunnies! and teresa8oats

Image Image Image
Baby bunnies!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:55 am

Think about what it would feel like to live on metal bars. It's not comfortable. I've seen the feet of rabbits who live on metal cage bottoms all their life, and quite often their feet are in bad shape.
It's not natural for rabbits to live on metal. Their feet are not designed for that.
If you clean the cage often enough there should be no problem with sanitation, especially if the rabbit is litter-trained.
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ruberiot » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:16 am

PeachFuzz wrote:Think about what it would feel like to live on metal bars. It's not comfortable. I've seen the feet of rabbits who live on metal cage bottoms all their life, and quite often their feet are in bad shape.
It's not natural for rabbits to live on metal. Their feet are not designed for that.
If you clean the cage often enough there should be no problem with sanitation, especially if the rabbit is litter-trained.

All of our rabbits have metal bottomed cages. we give them tiles to sit on so they don't get hock sores. I personally feel metal cages are the better choice, mainly because box floors make it easier for the rabbit to sit in its own waste. If you give them a tile or a litter box, (some of our rabbits don't use the bathroom in them), you usually prevent sore feet. (I'm not saying they automatically lay in it, it's just easier for it to happen.)I don't even see why it matters? I am dropping this discussion now. end of conversation.
Last edited by ruberiot on Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
ruberiot

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby thunderofthedrum » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:31 pm

I never liked metal wire bottoms for cages and hutches - I have seen how it can rub the fur off their feet. However, those were in cases where the rabbits had no solid areas as alternatives. I do see the benefits of wire bottom but to be honest I don't think it's necessary - they typically pick a corner to potty in so it shouldn't be too difficult to use something like a litterbox - it's not like a solid bottom automatically means they are laying in their urine and feces.

My rabbit currently has a large, solid-bottom cage with a litterbox in one corner, and is on carpet and tile during her free time.

I think.. when people keep rabbit outdoors, they often have many or don't want to be cleaning the cages/hutches every day, and that plays into it perhaps? My outdoor bunnies met awful ends due to living outside, so Kenna just gets outside time in a pen to get some sunshine and grass and a change of scenery to keep things interesting. I'm not into having a lot of them - I'd rather keep it down to one or two and makes sure it gets lots of love and attention and playtime, with enrichment and mental stimulation.

I'd be up for potentially raising some meat rabbits one day though, and those would be kept outside. Wouldn't be for at LEAST another five years though, so I haven't put much thought into it yet.
thunderofthedrum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Baby bunnies! » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:48 pm

There are lots of options, and non are truly wrong as long as the rabbit is healthy and happy.
If the rabbit isn't healthy or happy with its living situation then something should be changed. I know that there are lots of rabbits that aren't being treated right and sure, they might be in wire cages. But that does not mean that all rabbits in wire cages are being mistreated.
It is sort of like closing your eyes to not see something cause of the bad things that you had seen in the past. You won't realize the good things in life till you open your eyes.
And think of a pencile. A pencils can't misspell something, only the person with the pencils can. A pecile can't do something right or wrong, the person can though.
Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

Could we maybe drop this discussion so that it doesn't turn into an argument?
Status/sayings: Life being consumed by rabbits and dancing.
Hi I am Baby bunnies! but you can call me BB
I love to do art. Before December 2014 all art that I did was with a mouse. I now work with a Bamboo tablet. Also please note that I expect something in return for customs, I put time into every piece.
I own rabbits! I love to show my rabbits and and have gotten many first place ribbons, a lot of Best of Breed, Best Opposite Breed, Best of Variety, & Best Opposite Variety awards. My rabbits have also gotten Reserve in Show and Best 6 class. I, personally, have gotten Reserve Champion and Grand Champion awards. I take part in Rabbit Royalty! If you have any questions about Rabbits then please ask and I shall answer as best that I can.
Info on how to properly raise rabbits and show them. Rabbit Blog
Rabbit Q&A ~ Baby bunnies! and teresa8oats

Image Image Image
Baby bunnies!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lincoln » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:41 pm

HI! i am new to this subject. i have 4 rabbits.... 2 dutch, one netherland dwarf and, one holland lop baby who is quite new...
Names of rabbits.
Sooty: Grey dutch
Calvin: Chocolate dutch
P Boo: Black otter netherland dwarf.
Angie: Broken white and mouse holland lop.
I do rabbit 4H! Please look into it!. PS could i be a member? THX Seabub.
Lincoln

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lincoln » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:47 pm

Thunderofthedrum, The thing your describing ( The rabbits fur on its feet getting rubbed off,) is called sore hocks. And it can be prevented. just make sure that your rabbit has something to sit on... like: a square of cardboard, a little bin sort of like a litter box, a tile. BTW if any of you have any questions about rabbit health and diseases, and are unsure, PM me. i do 4H so i know a lot of diseases and cures.
Lincoln

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lincoln » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:51 pm

He might've just drank a lot of water. Don't be to worried. ;)
Lincoln

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _breezy_star_ » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:37 pm

Welcome to the thread, seabub! I was in 4-H for 9 years. :D Fun times! I added you and your rabbits to the first post.

Which reminds me... if you aren't up, please send me a message! I can add you then. I sometimes miss posts with names and rabbits that need to be added. :3

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
🐶 Ginger . Brody
🐱 Kieran . Delaney . Ian
🐭 Dorian
🐰 Beau . Davey . Juniper . Sorren

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes