LOCK? DELETE? OLD Rabbit Owners- NEW LINK INSIDE

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat!

Postby FuzzyThePunkCat » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:31 pm

Pleighh wrote:Hi, I have a few questions for you guys. I've never owned rabbits before, but I think they are lovely little creatures and I might have the opportunity to own one soon. I know the basics of rabbits, their diet and what they need to be happy and healthy, but I'd like to hear your opinions on these questions I have.
How are they as pets?
What is it like to own rabbits?
How often do they interact with you?
Is there anything specific I need to know I get a rabbit to house indoors?
And finally, how are Mini Rexes as pets? Do they have good personalities generally or what are some traits they have? Is there any difference between the Mini Rex and the regular Rex beside size?

Ok, that was a lot of questions, sorry ahaha. Thank you for taking the time to read this, have a lovely day! C:

They can be good pets if you are willing to take the time to care for the properly :3 They are very...."different".
They interact with you as much as you interact with them lol. Some rabbits are more social with people than others.
There is tons you'd need to know lol. Such as housing, you want to get a cage/pen that is AT LEAST big enough for the rabbit to stretch fully across three times and across the other way once, with it being higher than them standing all the way up on hind legs. Then there feeding, the bulk of their diet is hay (alfalfa for rabbits under 6 months, timothy for rabbits over 6 months). They also need an organic pellet food (Oxbow is best), but be sure to measure it out if they are over a year old. They also need daily veggies and fruits and treats should be minimal. Then there's maintenance, the cage/pen and litter box should be cleaned weekly. They need at least weekly brushing/deshedding and monthly nail clipping. Then there's exercise, they need at least 4 hours of free range time daily. The can also have outdoor time in a hutch, run, or supervised pen. They could also be walked on a harness and leash. Then, there's vet care. Like other animals, they need bi-annual check ups and they should be spayed or neutered at 6 months. I'm sure there's tons more lol.
I don't know about Rexes or Mini Rexes though, I own a Lionhead and a Holland Lop.

My aunt and uncle had to have their new mixed breed rabbit, Annie, put to sleep :( She broke her ack or something from what my dad said. They still have their Flemish Giant, Annabelle.
"I try twice as hard and I'm half as liked, but here they come again to jack my style."
In real life I have 4 dogs, 3 cats, 2 rabbits, 26 rats, 2 gerbils, 2 cockroaches, 1 turtle, 1 axolotl, and 8 fish.
ImageImageImageImageImage
FuzzyThePunkCat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:57 pm

I don't know much about breed personality traits, but our mini Rex is absolutely the sweetest thing! She loves cuddles and petting and is so calm and relaxed all the time.
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MacGyver » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:36 pm

Tennyson has come quite a ways from the shy bunny he was when he came here. Before he'd rather hide behind the desk or under the bed whenever someone came in the room.
Now, he'll follow certain family members (including myself) around the house, come running when you call him, crawl in your lap, and take food from you. ^^ He's still doesn't want to be pet, but that's okay. He's still a cutie pie. <3
He also bullies the dogs - it's ridiculous, but kind of funny; he has them cowed.
Image Image
████████████████████████ ███ ███ █████
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰

█████ ███ ███ ████████████████████████
▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪
Image Image Image Image Image
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
DIXIE INSTA ART

ɪ ᴀᴍ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴀᴅ ᴋᴇᴇᴘᴇʀ
HaruMakoNagisa
ReiRinMomo
SousukeNitori

CSCC Iwatobi Dog Chat

WIP
MacGyver

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Baby bunnies! » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:16 pm

Pleighh wrote:Hi, I have a few questions for you guys. I've never owned rabbits before, but I think they are lovely little creatures and I might have the opportunity to own one soon. I know the basics of rabbits, their diet and what they need to be happy and healthy, but I'd like to hear your opinions on these questions I have.
How are they as pets?
And finally, how are Mini Rexes as pets? Do they have good personalities generally or what are some traits they have? Is there any difference between the Mini Rex and the regular Rex beside size?

Ok, that was a lot of questions, sorry ahaha. Thank you for taking the time to read this, have a lovely day! C:

Rabbits can make great pets for most all people. The majority of rabbits are easy to handle.
Owning rabbits is fun! They are an interesting animal to have. Each have such different personalities. And there is never a dull moment with them around.
A rabbit's interaction with you depends on the rabbit, breed, and you. Some rabbits are quite social. Others lack the social aspect. I find that the giant breeds have a need for love and want to have a friend to keep them company. Smaller breeds can be bit more energetic and some are not as social. (Although I know that there a LOT of sweet kind small breeds. Often because of lots of handling and gentle treatment.)

You will need to rabbit proof a room or the entire house if you want you rabbits inside. Make wires inaccessible and put protection on furniture. Rabbits love to chew and dig! You will also need a cage for the rabbit's home base . this is where they can feel safe, eat, drink, and go poddy. Sizes depend on breed sizes. Floor type depends on the best choose for the rabbit.

Most of the mini rexes that I know are sweet, but there are are a couple that aren't super friendly (only because of genetic behavior or not much extra handling and atention.) Standard rexes aren't too much different than thebminis. However they will have more hock issues and will require more feed. All Rex rabbits are prone to sore hocks regardless of flooring due to their thin fur pads.

A lot of information on owning, raising, caring for rabbits here:
http://rabbitguide.weebly.com
Status/sayings: Life being consumed by rabbits and dancing.
Hi I am Baby bunnies! but you can call me BB
I love to do art. Before December 2014 all art that I did was with a mouse. I now work with a Bamboo tablet. Also please note that I expect something in return for customs, I put time into every piece.
I own rabbits! I love to show my rabbits and and have gotten many first place ribbons, a lot of Best of Breed, Best Opposite Breed, Best of Variety, & Best Opposite Variety awards. My rabbits have also gotten Reserve in Show and Best 6 class. I, personally, have gotten Reserve Champion and Grand Champion awards. I take part in Rabbit Royalty! If you have any questions about Rabbits then please ask and I shall answer as best that I can.
Info on how to properly raise rabbits and show them. Rabbit Blog
Rabbit Q&A ~ Baby bunnies! and teresa8oats

Image Image Image
Baby bunnies!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keletheryl » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:19 am

Alright, so I'm a bit worried.
Sandy (my bunny bun) was hopping around and doing whatever buns do while out of his hutch for the night, and it noticed that when he hops, what I'm assuming is his stomach, makes like a sloshing noise. Like waters filled in his stomach and is swishing around. Anybody have any idea what that could mean or had any similar experiences?
Not exactly sure what to put into google to ask... "Sloshing bunny stomach"?

Btw: not sure if this has to do with the problem but he's an old man, he's 9 years old.

╭━━━━━━━━╮
• Stamps •

╰━━━━━━━━╯
╭━━━━━━━━╮
• Credit •
NebulaWolf
╰━━━━━━━━╯
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╭━━━━━━━━━━━━━━╮
• Bio •
Hello! My name is Keletheryl. I love
all things fantasy or mythological. I
live in Canada, BC! I am an animal
lover and own lots of pets! See you
around!

╰━━━━━━━━━━━━━━╯

Keletheryl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Baby bunnies! » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:11 am

PastelMoose wrote:Alright, so I'm a bit worried.
Sandy (my bunny bun) was hopping around and doing whatever buns do while out of his hutch for the night, and it noticed that when he hops, what I'm assuming is his stomach, makes like a sloshing noise. Like waters filled in his stomach and is swishing around. Anybody have any idea what that could mean or had any similar experiences?

Btw: not sure if this has to do with the problem but he's an old man, he's 9 years old.

Sounds like Mucoid Enteritis to me. One of the many symptoms is sloshy gut.
Other symptoms may include:
Diarrhea
Soft stools with or without mucus
Bloated gut/ distended
Rough coat
Dull eyes
Decreasing or lack of appetite
Lethargy
Teeth grinding (sign of pain)

In older rabbits these symptoms may occur over a period of time. In younger rabbits, death can occur within 48 hours from when the diarrhea started.

Cause:
Stress (anything asociated to stress)
Lack of a nutritious diet
Lack of good fiber content
Introduction to a new bacteria
Bacterial overload

Treatment:
Pull the pellets (food) from his cage and replace it with grass hay. Not timothy, because that will not help diarrhea. Then purchase Probios (large and small animal probiotic) and sprinkle some on the hay. You may also give old fashioned oats.
The reason do pulling out the food and replacing it with hay is because the rabbit will need lots of fiber to help the gut move well and harden stools. Protein (in pellets) do not help in this case.
Also, you can give plantain and blackberry leaves.
Stop feeding fruits and veggies during the treatment time because sugars and extra waters is only feeding the diarrhea.
If there is diarrhea showing then put some eletrolits in the water.
Reduce stress

Of course you should consult with a rabbit savvy vet and figure their diagnosis. However, since the treatment plan I suggested does not include any medications and is just a diet change, I advise to start it before it is too late just in case. If the vet disagrees with this diagnosis and treatment plan, then gradually increase the pellet food. There will be no harm done.

Lots more info! (Includes a few photos.)
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_disease ... tis_en.htm

Hope this helps!
I love to do art. Before December 2014 all art that I did was with a mouse. I now work with a Bamboo tablet. Also please note that I expect something in return for customs, I put time into every piece.
I own rabbits! I love to show my rabbits and and have gotten many first place ribbons, a lot of Best of Breed, Best Opposite Breed, Best of Variety, & Best Opposite Variety awards. My rabbits have also gotten Reserve in Show and Best 6 class. I, personally, have gotten Reserve Champion and Grand Champion awards. I take part in Rabbit Royalty! If you have any questions about Rabbits then please ask and I shall answer as best that I can.

Image Image Image
Baby bunnies!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keletheryl » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:39 am

Baby bunnies! wrote:

Diarrhea
Bloated gut/ distended
Rough coat
Dull eyes
Lethargy

In older rabbits these symptoms may occur over a period of time. In younger rabbits, death can occur within 48 hours from when the diarrhea started.

Cause:
Bacterial overload

Treatment:
Pull the pellets (food) from his cage and replace it with grass hay. Not timothy, because that will not help diarrhea. Then purchase Probios (large and small animal probiotic) and sprinkle some on the hay. You may also give old fashioned oats.
The reason do pulling out the food and replacing it with hay is because the rabbit will need lots of fiber to help the gut move well and harden stools. Protein (in pellets) do not help in this case.
Stop feeding fruits and veggies during the treatment time because sugars and extra waters is only feeding the diarrhea.
Reduce stress

Of course you should consult with a rabbit savvy vet and figure their diagnosis. However, since the treatment plan I suggested does not include any medications and is just a diet change, I advise to start it before it is too late just in case. If the vet disagrees with this diagnosis and treatment plan, then gradually increase the pellet food. There will be no harm done.

Hope this helps!

I looked at the website and what you said and I think this actually might be what he's developing.

A few days ago I forgot he was out of his hutch and let my dog upstairs, she chased him all around the house with me screaming at her to stop as the poor thing is flinging himself down the stairs trying to get away from her. I finally managed to catch my dog, I put her in a door and found Sandy, picked him up and pet him until he stopped breathing really heavily.
Then the next night mom made the same mistake.
So that's two nights in a row of pure terror for him. And it says it's caused by stress, and I would say that is definitely two nights of stress.

But I looked at his stools and they look fine, but if diarrhea starts then I'll take him to the vet immediately

╭━━━━━━━━╮
• Stamps •

╰━━━━━━━━╯
╭━━━━━━━━╮
• Credit •
NebulaWolf
╰━━━━━━━━╯
╭━━━━━━━━━━━━━━╮
• Bio •
Hello! My name is Keletheryl. I love
all things fantasy or mythological. I
live in Canada, BC! I am an animal
lover and own lots of pets! See you
around!

╰━━━━━━━━━━━━━━╯

Keletheryl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Baby bunnies! » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:00 am

PastelMoose wrote:
Baby bunnies! wrote:

Diarrhea
Bloated gut/ distended
Rough coat
Dull eyes
Lethargy

Cause:
Bacterial overload

Treatment:
Reduce stress

Hope this helps!

I looked at the website and what you said and I think this actually might be what he's developing.

A few days ago I forgot he was out of his hutch and let my dog upstairs, she chased him all around the house with me screaming at her to stop as the poor thing is flinging himself down the stairs trying to get away from her. I finally managed to catch my dog, I put her in a door and found Sandy, picked him up and pet him until he stopped breathing really heavily.
Then the next night mom made the same mistake.
So that's two nights in a row of pure terror for him. And it says it's caused by stress, and I would say that is definitely two nights of stress.

But I looked at his stools and they look fine, but if diarrhea starts then I'll take him to the vet immediately

Aw poor guy.
Well I hope everything goes alright. I am so glad that you took the time to notice anything off and then ask about it.
That's a great quality in an animal owner.
Wishing Sandy good health and low to zero stress levels.

Image Image Image
Baby bunnies!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby thunderofthedrum » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:27 am

How are they as pets?

- I have quite enjoyed my rabbit as a pet. There was a time in the beginning where I was a bit stressed and not sure what to do because I didn't have any friends or family knowledgeable about rabbits so I was pretty much on my own. I had to learn through trial and error with cage size, exercise needs, and a lot more. There were times when I was frustrated with her behavior or the issue of cleaning out the litter tray of her cage in my cramped little bathroom where she lived, but progress was made. I did research and I upgraded her to a multi-level pen, introduced a litterbox, made sure she got more time to run around, tried out more objects for enrichment and and learned to budget better.

- What is it like to own any animal? Awesome, totally worth it, frustrating sometimes, etc. I am super happy I chose to get a rabbit and I'm super rabbit with the particular rabbit I ended up with! I adore her even though she is a little turd sometimes. ^__^ Sometimes I get so exasporated and lose my patience but hey, that's any pet.

- She wants to interact with me a lot. She is my only rabbit (indeed, my only pet at all), so I am her only buddy. Rabbits are social animals so she liked being stroked, she likes to lick me, lay beside me, snuggle with me, etc. She just likes having me nearby and she quite enjoys attention and treats!

- Don't underestimate how much space they need. I use C&C storage cube panels that are 14" by 14" and try to have a pen that's about 2x4 of those. Multiple levels is good because it gives them more space without taking up more of the room's floorspace and encourages a wider variety of muscle movements. No matter what though, they ought to have a good amount of run and play time every day in a room or the whole house/apartment/whatever, so that they can exercise and kick up their feet and explore new things and get into trouble! Keeping a rabbit in a cage all the time is like keeping someone in a little bedroom for their whole life - besides just the exercise factor, the mental stimulation of exploring and investigating is really important for mental health and happiness. Just be prepared - bunnies generally like to chew on stuff. Electrical cords, furniture, baseboards, and more. Mine has never gone after clothes or shoes luckily, but I keep cords out of reach and off the floor whenever possible and I try to not leave her unsupervised. If she has enough to mess with (things to crawl under, clothes to investigate, keys to fling, etc) then she likely won't chew on anything, plus I make sure she has something to chew on in her cage. And yes, my rabbit is back to a cage for the time being - she is living in my bedroom on carpet while I'm back at home with my parents for a bit so I bought her the biggest cage I could find. If she's on carpet for too long and gets bored she does have the potential to start pulling at it a little.

In addition to things to play with and chew on, make sure the rabbit has a hidey place. In the wild they burrow, so being in dark small spaces is totally fine to them. Mine loves to go under my bed, under my little velvet armchair, under the couch, behind the couch, etc. A cardboard box will work fine, or you can buy something at a petstore. My rabbit currently has something she can hide in and chew on, so that checks off two boxes at once, plus other options when she's loose in my room.

- My rabbit is a Mini Rex!! :3 She's lovely. My first bunny, well no idea what he was, but he wasn't a Mini Rex. My brother's, who we got at the same time as a buddy, WAS a Mini Rex. She didn't like being held but she was fine with being petted. And she turned out to be a good mom (because apparently mine was a male, who knew). But yes, my bunnykins is a Mini Rex and I have been quite happy with her, but I don't really have experience with other breeds and I picked her out based on her reaction to being held (AKA being okay with it, because I loved that my first bunny was cool with it). She's my little honeybun. So while I can't really say anything regarding the breed as a whole, I have had a fantastic experience with my little turd. She turned 6 this summer!
thunderofthedrum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cross My Hearts » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:42 am

AHHH haven't posted here in forever!
But my rabbit Louis is getting more used to people everyday. ❤️ We rescued him from an abusive family a while ago, and he would not come anywhere neer us. Now he eats his dinner on my lap everyday and let's me scratch his nose.
My amazing WMEs Heard art by PaigeyPies
Cross My Hearts

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me