LOCK? DELETE? OLD Rabbit Owners- NEW LINK INSIDE

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat!

Postby тнє яανєи αвσνє ♁ » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:42 pm

Hi Everybody!

I got my first rabbit in march this year. Her name is Rexanne and she is a chocolate rex mini rabbit. She loves hopping around, and she loves craisins, raisins, grape nuts, and food pellets. She is full of energy and takes naps with me :). She loves me and my mom and also loves coming outside with us. She is friends with my dog, Nelly, a old black lab. I let her out of her cage every morning and take a tiny nap with her.

But i do have some problems. So, we potty trained her to go in a certain corner of her cage to go to the bathroom. She was doing really well untill she starting going everywhere. Does anybody have tips?
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
qυσтє тнє яανєи "иєνєямσяє."
Hello! I am The Raven Above.
You may call me Raven,
Sky, or my original name,
The Raven Above. I love
trading, Pm's, and answering
Questions. Feel free
To PM e about questions, though if you
want a better answer, better
tell the mods!

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
тнє яανєи αвσνє ♁

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ruberiot » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:47 am

Hey everyone! I just found this thread, and I have a question.

I have had rabbits for a relatively long time, and I just bought a velveteen lop from some friends. He has very bad chewing problems, and none of our rabbits have ever chewed on things that they knew not to. Does anyone know how to fix chewing? If he doesn't learn to quit, I won't keep him. I don't need or want a rabbit who chews up personal belongings.
ruberiot

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Baby bunnies! » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:12 am

☼Ѕύлљэam☼♀ wrote:But i do have some problems. So, we potty trained her to go in a certain corner of her cage to go to the bathroom. She was doing really well untill she starting going everywhere. Does anybody have tips?

If it is only turds and not urine, than she is most likely marking her territory. There is no true way to stop this habit because it is instinct. But you can try to retrain.

~*Toothless*~ wrote:Hey everyone! I just found this thread, and I have a question.

I have had rabbits for a relatively long time, and I just bought a velveteen lop from some friends. He has very bad chewing problems, and none of our rabbits have ever chewed on things that they knew not to. Does anyone know how to fix chewing? If he doesn't learn to quit, I won't keep him. I don't need or want a rabbit who chews up personal belongings.

Rabbits have teeth that never stop growing. Their front incisors grow at 3mm per week! Rabbits need things to gnaw on, so branches may help the chewing issue. Some rabbits will even chew where their 'territory/domain' is. Check his teeth to make sure that they are not too long, causing consistent chewing.
Status/sayings: Life being consumed by rabbits and dancing.
Hi I am Baby bunnies! but you can call me BB
I love to do art. Before December 2014 all art that I did was with a mouse. I now work with a Bamboo tablet. Also please note that I expect something in return for customs, I put time into every piece.
I own rabbits! I love to show my rabbits and and have gotten many first place ribbons, a lot of Best of Breed, Best Opposite Breed, Best of Variety, & Best Opposite Variety awards. My rabbits have also gotten Reserve in Show and Best 6 class. I, personally, have gotten Reserve Champion and Grand Champion awards. I take part in Rabbit Royalty! If you have any questions about Rabbits then please ask and I shall answer as best that I can.
Info on how to properly raise rabbits and show them. Rabbit Blog
Rabbit Q&A ~ Baby bunnies! and teresa8oats

Image Image Image
Baby bunnies!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ruberiot » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:40 am

Baby bunnies! wrote
Rabbits have teeth that never stop growing. Their front incisors grow at 3mm per week! Rabbits need things to gnaw on, so branches may help the chewing issue. Some rabbits will even chew where their 'territory/domain' is. Check his teeth to make sure that they are not too long, causing consistent chewing.

Wow! I knew their teeth never stopped growing, but I didn't know they grew that much.

I have checked his teeth the day before he chewed up my stuff, and they were perfect. I don't know what his issue is. Maybe it's because he hasn't been at out house very long.

Thanks for the tips on the branch thing, I will try that since we have plenty of unneeded branches lying around!
ruberiot

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:47 am

Some rabbits just chew more than others. Be happy he's keeping his teeth healthy! C; give him blocks of wood and apple twigs so he has something to chew instead of walls or furniture or whatever else you don't want him chewing on.
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ruberiot » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:48 am

PeachFuzz wrote:Some rabbits just chew more than others. Be happy he's keeping his teeth healthy! C; give him blocks of wood and apple twigs so he has something to chew instead of walls or furniture or whatever else you don't want him chewing on.

Okay, thanks for the tip! I will go find him some apple twigs here in a while.

EDIT: I picked him an apple twig fresh from the tree and he chewed it up! I'm glad he likes them. I also got him a hay cube from the main shed, and he also chewed it up. :) Thanks so much for the tip guys, Robin is staying! :)
Last edited by ruberiot on Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ruberiot

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Baby bunnies! » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:57 am

~*Toothless*~ wrote:
Baby bunnies! wrote

Wow! I knew their teeth never stopped growing, but I didn't know they grew that much.

I have checked his teeth the day before he chewed up my stuff, and they were perfect. I don't know what his issue is. Maybe it's because he hasn't been at out house very long.

Thanks for the tips on the branch thing, I will try that since we have plenty of unneeded branches lying around!

You are welcome! Wish you and your buns luck!

Some safe branches are:
Alder
Apple
Ash
Birch
Blueberry
Douglas fir
Maple
Poplar

Stay clear of:
Ceder
Stone fruit trees (Pear trees are okay if you cut and dry out the branches before giving.
Status/sayings: Life being consumed by rabbits and dancing.
Hi I am Baby bunnies! but you can call me BB
I love to do art. Before December 2014 all art that I did was with a mouse. I now work with a Bamboo tablet. Also please note that I expect something in return for customs, I put time into every piece.
I own rabbits! I love to show my rabbits and and have gotten many first place ribbons, a lot of Best of Breed, Best Opposite Breed, Best of Variety, & Best Opposite Variety awards. My rabbits have also gotten Reserve in Show and Best 6 class. I, personally, have gotten Reserve Champion and Grand Champion awards. I take part in Rabbit Royalty! If you have any questions about Rabbits then please ask and I shall answer as best that I can.
Info on how to properly raise rabbits and show them. Rabbit Blog
Rabbit Q&A ~ Baby bunnies! and teresa8oats

Image Image Image
Baby bunnies!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby King of Crows » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:26 am

Another River update!

She's feeling a lot better! Her nose cleared up overnight, and today she polished off half a bowl of rolled oats, fruit, and veggies. She's also drinking well, now, and moving a bit more.

We picked up some higher quality timothy pellets, and better quality timothy hay. I think the stress of changing weather might just be too much for my bun, so it looks like she's going to be a fully indoor rabbit, now!

I'll keep monitoring her weight and try some more mashed banana later. I noticed she's shedding a lot, so I'll also have to brush her more often to keep her from getting wool block.

Update x2;;
I brought River out to the kitchen this morning since she was up an about, and her indoor cage is pretty tiny, so I figured extra out time would be good. This is her first time being face to face with our Jack Russel Terrier, but he's known her by smell for the past five years, so he sniffed her over and was fine. River loves other animals, so she was completely alright with it. This was also the first time our new puppy got to meet her, and the puppy was very sweet and just sniffed her and lay down beside her. River probably would play with her, but just gets tired too quickly, right now.

Then we got her to eat some banana mash, spinach, and my sister took some of my cereal and gave it to her, which she scarfed up (though I wasn't too pleased about that).

Though her nose isn't runny right now, it's still pretty stuffy. Still trying to find something at home that I can give to her to making breathing easier on her.
Reality is subjective.
King of Crows

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FuzzyThePunkCat » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:06 pm

I took Lennox and Timber for a car ride outside of their carriers on Sunday. Lennox did good and so did Timber until she peed on my lap -.-

Timber had a pre-surgical exam on Monday. She is very healthy and she weighs 3.5 lbs. She will be spayed in a couple weeks.

She then peed all over her carrier and herself on the way home. I had to fill the tub up an inch or two, put her in and gently wash her paws, belly, and tail with dawn dish soap. Poor Timber.
"I try twice as hard and I'm half as liked, but here they come again to jack my style."
In real life I have 4 dogs, 3 cats, 2 rabbits, 26 rats, 2 gerbils, 2 cockroaches, 1 turtle, 1 axolotl, and 8 fish.
ImageImageImageImageImage
FuzzyThePunkCat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby libreeza » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:20 pm

Hi, I have a few questions for you guys. I've never owned rabbits before, but I think they are lovely little creatures and I might have the opportunity to own one soon. I know the basics of rabbits, their diet and what they need to be happy and healthy, but I'd like to hear your opinions on these questions I have.
How are they as pets?
What is it like to own rabbits?
How often do they interact with you?
Is there anything specific I need to know I get a rabbit to house indoors?
And finally, how are Mini Rexes as pets? Do they have good personalities generally or what are some traits they have? Is there any difference between the Mini Rex and the regular Rex beside size?

Ok, that was a lot of questions, sorry ahaha. Thank you for taking the time to read this, have a lovely day! C:
libreeza

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me