LOCK? DELETE? OLD Rabbit Owners- NEW LINK INSIDE

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat!

Postby PeachFuzz » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:47 am

I think what they are saying is that a rabbit can't be on any moving vehicle for more than thirty straight minutes. They need need intervals of a few hours to recuperate.

check out this - http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-12/to-f ... o-fly.html
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Mean Kitty » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:57 am

People travel all the time in moving vehicles such as a van with all kinds of animals for hours and they do fine. =/

And I'll make sure to get pictures soon _breezy_star_! x3 None of them are marked real well, though one of the blacks I rather like. Them harlequins, so hard to get the markings right. xD But they're still adorable anyways, a few more days and they should be out of the nest box hopping around more, so that's when I'll get pics. ;3

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mods: My nieces are Kaylee197 and Rosie197. We sometimes share an IP.
The Mean Kitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:00 am

A plane is different than a van though^^
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FlynnEugene » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:03 am

Currently we live in New York and our summer house is in New Mexico. Waffles goes everywhere with me, idk if you saw my pervious post but she goes in the car with me and stuff. It will be a lot easier to fly out to NM then drive. So I am positive Waffles will be fine in the plane with me. As for our other animals, they are going to be on a special airline that is designed just for pets and it takes breaks and people are always catering to them. They are never alone in a hot sweaty place. It's air conditioned and they are checked up on :) It is really awesome! It's a bit on the pricey side, but my mom was willing to pay. Thanks for the concern though, I have read the before cause I always like stalk house rabbit society and stuff which is why I am not taking Simba on the flight with me. We figured he would be better off on the pet airline.

ℂ𝕦𝕟𝕟𝕚𝕟𝕘

𝔸𝕞𝕓𝕚𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕦𝕤

ℝ𝕖𝕤𝕠𝕦𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕗𝕦𝕝𝕟𝕖𝕤𝕤

𝕊𝕙𝕣𝕖𝕨𝕕

𝔻𝕖𝕥𝕖𝕣𝕞𝕚𝕟𝕖𝕕

"𝒲𝑒 𝒮𝓁𝓎𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇𝒾𝓃𝓈 𝒶𝓇𝑒 𝒷𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒, 𝓎𝑒𝓈, 𝒷𝓊𝓉 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝓈𝓉𝓊𝓅𝒾𝒹. 𝐹𝑜𝓇 𝒾𝓃𝓈𝓉𝒶𝓃𝒸𝑒, 𝑔𝒾𝓋𝑒𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒸𝒽𝑜𝒾𝒸𝑒, 𝓌𝑒 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝒶𝓁𝓌𝒶𝓎𝓈 𝒸𝒽𝑜𝑜𝓈𝑒 𝓉𝑜 𝓈𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝑜𝓊𝓇 𝑜𝓌𝓃 𝓃𝑒𝒸𝓀𝓈."
FlynnEugene

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby thunderofthedrum » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:50 am

greenbunny1998 wrote:
Ella Bear wrote:I should look into Waffles being a therapy rabbit, I bet she would be awesome at it. She is such a sweet loving girl, and she is pretty good with people. I mean obviously her and I have a great relationship, I just don't know how she would do if other people picked her up. She is usually okay with my mom picking her up, but sometimes she doesn't like it.. She does love to snuggle and be around humans! It's just the whole being picked up part, I don't blame her though, considering she is a prey animal :p Wednesday she will be on a plane with me, I am sure she will do fine but I am still kind of worried. My mom and I are going out to our summer house and of course we take our pets with us. The dogs and my rabbit Simba are all going on a special pet plane and meeting us their, whereas Waffles will be on the plane with me as my "Carry on"

You can't leave a rabbit or any thing that moves for too long because they'll get scared then die unless you stop the vehicle or what ever for every 30 minutes for a few hours.

I have not heard of this. I have driven three hours with my rabbit. I realise animals are sensitive and experience things like plane rides rarely if ever and that they can be completely overwhelmed and stressed by it. However, in the case of Ella Bear, there aren't many options to get her pets to her other house without it taking a week.

It's also just knowing your bunny and what kind of experiences they have done well with so far. I don't know that I would fly with my rabbit, but Waffles has experienced a lot and handled it like a champ from what I've heard. My bunny does fine in the car but I know she doesn't particularly like it and won't eat while the car is moving.

Yes, rabbits are delicate - I've seen juvenile cottontail bunnies brought in because people thought they were orphaned infants and they were doomed simply from the stress of being caught, taken in the car, and brought to the wildlife rescue center. It was too much for them to handle and they can die from it. That said, a pet is exposed to more things. If a rabbit has been exposed to other animals, car rides, stores, being handled by other people, etc, then it's not unreasonable to consider flying as an option.

The link is great and I do like that website, but even that page describes how it depends on the bunny. A lot of what is written there has great advice on how to handle a bunny traveling by plane, actually.
thunderofthedrum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FlynnEugene » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:49 pm

I agree^^ I have travled multiple times with all of my animals ( dogs and bunnies) and we have never stopped every 30 minutes to give them a break. They tend to do fine, it's just what they are exposed to. I would never hurt my bunnies or put them in a situation where I felt like it wasn't okay for them. :D That's why I chose to put Simba on that special pet flight thing. Waffles is probably better off with me than without me, she would probably die without me ( literally) because she would be so scared that I wasn't there with her in her new surroundings and stuff. My other animals are fine, but Waffles will be a lot calmer riding in a plane with me rather than me leaving her at home for 2 months ( with a sitter) or letting her ride in the pet plane :)

ℂ𝕦𝕟𝕟𝕚𝕟𝕘

𝔸𝕞𝕓𝕚𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕦𝕤

ℝ𝕖𝕤𝕠𝕦𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕗𝕦𝕝𝕟𝕖𝕤𝕤

𝕊𝕙𝕣𝕖𝕨𝕕

𝔻𝕖𝕥𝕖𝕣𝕞𝕚𝕟𝕖𝕕

"𝒲𝑒 𝒮𝓁𝓎𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇𝒾𝓃𝓈 𝒶𝓇𝑒 𝒷𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒, 𝓎𝑒𝓈, 𝒷𝓊𝓉 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝓈𝓉𝓊𝓅𝒾𝒹. 𝐹𝑜𝓇 𝒾𝓃𝓈𝓉𝒶𝓃𝒸𝑒, 𝑔𝒾𝓋𝑒𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒸𝒽𝑜𝒾𝒸𝑒, 𝓌𝑒 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝒶𝓁𝓌𝒶𝓎𝓈 𝒸𝒽𝑜𝑜𝓈𝑒 𝓉𝑜 𝓈𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝑜𝓊𝓇 𝑜𝓌𝓃 𝓃𝑒𝒸𝓀𝓈."
FlynnEugene

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .: pop 101 :. » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:23 pm

Question.

If a dutch and mini rex were bred, would their baby be able to have dutch markings, yet still have that soft rex fur? thank you!
.: pop 101 :.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DaniVik » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:37 am

Hello!
Has anybody experiences with rabbit coat genetics?

A friend and me are planning to bred our rabbits and we just want to know which colours we could get.... can anybody help us? The rabbits are not purebreed, so they don't have to be homozygous...

DOE: Pina, black (solid)
mother: harlequin with dutch markings, blue eyes
father: blue (solid)

BUCK: Kovu, broken magpie with sallandar markings
mother: Nala, broken tort
father: "Lilly" (lol, the owners tought he is a doe), magpie (he carries the genetical information for "blue eyes", because he has a son with blue eyes)

So, can anybody help us?
Image & Kiano
DaniVik

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gimme_the_pie » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:45 am

Heeeey! :D
It's sooo nice to see other rabbit lovers out there!
I live in South Africa and I have a netherland dwarf named Pancake and a Jersey woolly named fudge. Pancake and Fudge had a litter of 3 bunnies and I am so happy that they are so healthy because most first litters do not survive. The babies names are Koi, Dave and smudge and their eyes opened just a few days ago. Pancake got snipped so that he could not produce any more babies, is it natural for him to act a bit unlike himself?
(PS: I LOVE RABBITS!)
I've quit cs
gimme_the_pie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby _breezy_star_ » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:02 am

CECP wrote:Question.

If a dutch and mini rex were bred, would their baby be able to have dutch markings, yet still have that soft rex fur? thank you!

I am pretty sure that the rex coat is a recessive gene. That means BOTH parents need to have the gene to pass it on and have babies with rex coats. So that would mean that you would have to breed one of the babies back to a rex coated rabbit to have rex coated babies. And then of course the dutch markings are never promised. lol You can breed two perfectly marked dutch and get the weirdest of things. So you just never know.

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
🐶 Ginger . Brody
🐱 Kieran . Delaney . Ian
🐭 Dorian
🐰 Beau . Davey . Juniper . Sorren

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes