Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby Star_Bun » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:14 pm

M A P L E S H A D E wrote:So I am breeding my Australian shepherd next year and thought I would ask if anyone knows any good tips?
If you don't agree with breeding dogs, please don't comment. I am breeding her to AKC requirements.
Thank you for any tips!

I don't know much about breeding dogs but I've seen a lot about "puppy culture" which is a training guide and whatnot for puppies that a lot of breeders use. It really helps socialize them and get them on the right track from the very start.
here's the website! https://shoppuppyculture.com
I think you have to buy the guides which is a downside but it's something that's worth considering.

███████████████
███████████████
███████████████

Hi ! I'm star_bun, but call me star < 3
I'm always open to PM's and making
new friends !
avi and signature art by
nervousdog

███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
Star_Bun

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blue_Aussie » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:23 pm

Sorry I meant that the AKC organization has breed standards, and she has all of the right traits and such. Sorry I worded that wrong! Mazie is currently 7 months, breeding age is during second heat, so next year ish. Thanks for the suggestion about that guide!
Blue_Aussie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eleutheromania » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:39 pm

You honestly can't tell a dog will be breedable by 7 months of age. They are still growing structurally. Plus, OFA hips etc cannot be processed until 2 years of age. Also as Trans asked, what titles/sport titles do you plan for her to earn and compete in. And has she been genetically tested? What are her faults and strong points in her structure that you can tell so far, what stud can compliment her and aid in correcting any structural faults. these are all things you should be asking before even deciding to breed a dog. Also, breeding on the second heat is not always the rule of thumb, especially if the dog is under two years and has no testing done. Other things you should be considering, an emergency vet, vet visits, the cost of an emergency c-section. signs of labor and what to do when a puppy isn't breathing, nursing, or even if mom is struggling with the labor. puppy shots, worming, rear dewclaw removal and docking of tails if that is decided.
eleutheromania

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Skysong » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:20 pm

Y’all, my aunt has three of the top 5 fastest GSD in the US.

Sasha Von Schattenhaus
Cymber von Schattenhaus
Alana von Schattenhaus

I think Alana was her other registered one. She has.... four girls now?
Two males, one neutered, one stud.

She’s spent her weekend at the FastCat event in the south eastern US.

Her first litter of puppies are mostly sold, too. ^^

And the male she bought for stud purposes passed his hip and elbow evaluation with flying colors. <3
Skysong

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mierose » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:23 pm

Skysong wrote:Y’all, my aunt has three of the top 5 fastest GSD in the US.

Sasha Von Schattenhaus
Cymber von Schattenhaus
Alana von Schattenhaus

I think Alana was her other registered one. She has.... four girls now?
Two males, one neutered, one stud.

She’s spent her weekend at the FastCat event in the south eastern US.

Her first litter of puppies are mostly sold, too. ^^

And the male she bought for stud purposes passed his hip and elbow evaluation with flying colors. <3

Quick question - is "Von" a common name part for GSDs? When I was first looking at dogs this summer, I wanted a GSD and found a rescue that specialized in adopting out GSDs and their mixes. All of them had "Von" in the name. I'm fairly curious as to whether or not that's a "thing" for the breed?
THE. SECRET. OF. LIFE. IS. TO. KEEP. LOOKING. UP

MickiJayGonny
KiffKnightDimi

Call me mier or rose | She/her | Lesbian | Sagittarius

Buttermilks

. .. .
mierose

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eleutheromania » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:25 pm

I think it just means from. Like their name and from that bloodline. I would guess skysong's aunt's bloodline is Schattenhaus. Though i'm not entirely sure.

That pretty cool that they ranked so high in Fastcat. Congrats to your aunt on that and her stud passing with flying colors.
eleutheromania

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blue_Aussie » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:49 pm

eleutheromania wrote:
    You honestly can't tell a dog will be breedable by 7 months of age. They are still growing structurally. Plus, OFA hips etc cannot be processed until 2 years of age. Also as Trans asked, what titles/sport titles do you plan for her to earn and compete in. And has she been genetically tested? What are her faults and strong points in her structure that you can tell so far, what stud can compliment her and aid in correcting any structural faults. these are all things you should be asking before even deciding to breed a dog. Also, breeding on the second heat is not always the rule of thumb, especially if the dog is under two years and has no testing done. Other things you should be considering, an emergency vet, vet visits, the cost of an emergency c-section. signs of labor and what to do when a puppy isn't breathing, nursing, or even if mom is struggling with the labor. puppy shots, worming, rear dewclaw removal and docking of tails if that is decided.

I have done research on this long before getting Mazie, I chose her to breed her. And I asked for any good tips not your lecture. I find it insulting that youo think im dumb actually.
Blue_Aussie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eleutheromania » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:52 pm

No one said you were dumb, you gave little information regarding the subject. everything said are things to look into when breeding a dog. Nor was i lecturing you. you asked for tips regarding breeding your dog, this is information and tips regarding the process of wanting and breeding your dog. there was no name-calling etc, this is just simple information.
eleutheromania

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:58 pm

Sweet, aussies were my breed for a long time! Do you have any photos? Stacked photos? Is she a working dog? Sports? Or confo?

I work pretty close with a few breeders, so I love seeing the entire process from young dog to possibly being bred.
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby shadow~wolf » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:59 pm

super excited for lucky's birthday, i'm planning it a week ahead. what do you all do for your dog's birthdays?
shadow~wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me