Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby Cardinal » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:57 am

Shadow~Wolf wrote:

dang. today i was riding bikes with my friend and lucky, we took lucky around the back parking lot by the park i like to go to with lucky. we never take him in there since dogs aren't allowed in the park, just ride and walk around the parking lot. today, i had lucky off leash heeling by my bike. i told him "go sniff" which is a release command, telling him he can go do what he wants until i call him back or until he checks in again. i then saw a large doberman sprinting all the way from inside the park towards us. it was pretty far away so i called lucky back (he was close by), told him to lay down and held his collar. the doberman got to us, then it came up to lucky and sniffed him.

lucky was stiff and just stood there while the other dog sniffed him. the owner finally came over and got the dog
but didn't even say sorry or put the dog back on leash. ughhh. lucky usually growls at stranger dogs but he didn't this time,
i rewarded him and we sat there for a min. i am so tired of random dogs running up to us, especially when lucky is on leash
or is by my side/ under control. what can i do to deter the dogs that run to us? not sure what to try!

I really like those umbrellas that pop open suddenly when you hit the button. Cheap, lightweight/easy to carry on you, easy to desensitize your own dog to it at home, and the sudden noise and motion is usually enough to startle dogs that are even coming at you aggressively.. If it doesnt outright scare the approaching dog off you do now have a physical barrier to use to block your dog.
Honey, it's in the stars
And you're my everything from here to Mars
And every word I say I truly mean
Dear darling, I hope I'm being clear
'Cause there's no one like you on earth
That can be my universe

Cardinal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby General Chaos » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:10 am

Hello, If anyone remembers the story about Pie and Prince, (the Pitbull that attacked the Papillon.)

I need a bit of help. At first Pie did amazing with other dogs; but it seems like her fear has gotten worse? If that makes sense. Right after the attack she acted normal, running around and playing with other dogs like normal. Now if she even sees a dog, even if its a mile away, she freaks out.

Ive been working with her but toys and treats cant take her focus off dogs even in her sights. She just screams like shes in pain when she sees another dog. Ive tried everything from squeaky toys, training treats, and chicken to try to get her focus on me and not the dog. I can even stick the chicken infront of her face and its like its not even there. I do the 'look at me' trick to try to get her to look at me to get the treat but she wont even look at me for a second.

Note: when I do this training I know the other dog, its under control and usually in a relaxed laying position on the other side of an open field. But she cant even handle that.

Is it just hopeless at this point to have her socialize with dogs again? Is there anything I can do?
General Chaos

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Faybell » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:21 am

^ I can’t really offer any help but I’m so sorry to hear Pie is now scared of other dogs. I can’t say I really blame her for developing a fear but hopefully you can help her to overcome it.

Maybe you can ask the person who is training prince for advice?
Faybell

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:14 pm

≛☣ General Chaos ☣≛ wrote:
Hello, If anyone remembers the story about Pie and Prince, (the Pitbull that attacked the Papillon.)

I need a bit of help. At first Pie did amazing with other dogs; but it seems like her fear has gotten worse? If that makes sense. Right after the attack she acted normal, running around and playing with other dogs like normal. Now if she even sees a dog, even if its a mile away, she freaks out.

Ive been working with her but toys and treats cant take her focus off dogs even in her sights. She just screams like shes in pain when she sees another dog. Ive tried everything from squeaky toys, training treats, and chicken to try to get her focus on me and not the dog. I can even stick the chicken infront of her face and its like its not even there. I do the 'look at me' trick to try to get her to look at me to get the treat but she wont even look at me for a second.

Note: when I do this training I know the other dog, its under control and usually in a relaxed laying position on the other side of an open field. But she cant even handle that.

Is it just hopeless at this point to have her socialize with dogs again? Is there anything I can do?

What size is the other dog you're working with? If possible it might help to start out with dogs her size or smaller then work up to larger dogs.

The fact she won't take food and is getting that upset says to me she's over threshold. Can you take her further away from the other dog? Also you could try a few other behaviors beside just look at me, like a sit or even a little agility course. Or simply try parallel walking. Seeing the other dog moving but not paying attention to her (doing behaviors, agility, or just walking with it's attention on the owner) might help her better understand that the dog isn't interested in her.

Also treat wise have you tried peanut butter? Baby food? Duck? Canned sardines (packed in water) Steak? Carrots? Broccoli? Bannanas? Blueberries, strawberries, or raspberries? Whipped cream? Cheese? Unsalted un-buttered air popped popcorn? Shrimp? Crab? (be weary wish shellfish though as dogs can be allergic and too much can cause stomach upset) You may just have not found the right reward yet.

Make sure you're only upping one criteria at a time, for example if you intend to try and get an inch closer to the other dog make sure you're not doing this with a new dog that same session. If possible see if the other owner can lend/give you blanket with the dog's scent on it to introduce to your dog before they meet. Feed her meals/treats, give puzzle toys etc. on that blanket to help her assoicate the scent of the other dog with good things. Having already been exposed to the other dogs scent in a positive and non-threatening way may help calm her down.

Honestly at this point however I would recommend you look into, if you can, hiring a positive reinforcement based behaviorist and/or trainer to help you through this process. They may have access to other dogs as well as tips and tricks that I'm not aware of. Also having someone physically with you to help you out with Pie's handling may be of benefit. You might also want to talk to your vet. If she's developed PTSD from her previous experience you may need to consider putting her on some medication, at least temporarily, to calm her down so she is able to focus on training.

I wouldn't say it's hopeless to socialize her with other dogs, however you do need to be realistic about what she's been through and what she may be capable of going forward. Being attacked was clearly a traumatic experience for her and getting past that may take time, a lot of time. And she may never get to the point where she is 100% comfortable hanging out with other dogs. For a pet that shouldn't be too much of a problem and it should get to the point where it is manageable. However you may at some point have to consider that due to this experience she may now be unsuitable as a SD. I don't want to scare you, honestly I think it's too early to say and you both have a ways to go. Things could turn around and I wouldn't give up.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Soloee » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:18 pm

At the start of september there was a thing going around where I live where many dogs died really fast everyday from something unknown, and it was so scary! All dog owners tried to keep their dogs away from all other dogs. Luckily now they have found out that dogs can't get it from other dogs and the amount of dogs that die is decreasing. I still really wonder what the problem is, they don't think it is food and like I said earlier you can't get it from other dogs either. Rest in peace all dogs :( <3
┍━━━━━━━━━━━━━┑
sHi, I'm Soloee <3 I love to draw,
xlwatch Youtube and play games
xxlike cs. I actually started to
xxplay cs November 15th 2017.
wHope to see you around friend!
┕━━━━━━━━━━━━━━──┙

┍━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┑
xI am a picky trader, but that's because
LxxI find it hard to give away my pets.
lxxTrades are still welcome any time :)

┕━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┙
┍≫ ──━━ ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ━━── ≪┑
xxxDappervolkFlight RisingToyhouse
┕─━━━━━━━━━━━━─━━─┙

┍━━━━━━━━┑
bxx𝓢𝓸𝓵𝓸𝓮𝓮
xllShe/her • Norway
┕━━━━━━━━┙
┍━━━━━━━━┑
xl"It's a weird thing,
xxxxwe call it life"

┕━━━━━━━━┙
Soloee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ᴍᴀᴏᴄɪғᴇʀ » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:49 pm

Soloee wrote:At the start of september there was a thing going around where I live where many dogs died really fast everyday from something unknown, and it was so scary! All dog owners tried to keep their dogs away from all other dogs. Luckily now they have found out that dogs can't get it from other dogs and the amount of dogs that die is decreasing. I still really wonder what the problem is, they don't think it is food and like I said earlier you can't get it from other dogs either. Rest in peace all dogs :( <3

I read about that. They still haven't found what it is, or the info hasn't been released, but I believed they found it in some dog food? And I though they said they couldn't be certain if it was contagious or not, but it was only likely that it wasn't. I haven't found any articles about it since early Sept. but feel free to link me places or quote stuff if I'm being completely wrong.

There's currently a warning out here for a sudden increase in the cases of lungworm, with it being fatal to some.
      All the more reason for people to pick up their dog waste and practice good hygiene :p

maocifer#7930
    ╔ ◦ ◦ ════════════════════╗
    British Horticulturist and avid
    Wendigoon enthusiast who plays
    far too much Warframe than
    is good for my sleep schedule

╚════════════════════ ◦ ◦ ╝
    tradesflightrisinginsta
ᴍᴀᴏᴄɪғᴇʀ

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mierose » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:04 am

Kahlua's DNA results are back! Honestly, we were quite shocked that she had so little lab in her based on her color, fur texture, and affinity for water. It appears to be an odd mix when shown as numbers, but when you see her, she's just 100% adorable.
A photo of the girl herself: <3
THE. SECRET. OF. LIFE. IS. TO. KEEP. LOOKING. UP

MickiJayGonny
KiffKnightDimi

Call me mier or rose | She/her | Lesbian | Sagittarius

Buttermilks

. .. .
mierose

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blue_Aussie » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:14 am

So I am breeding my Australian shepherd next year and thought I would ask if anyone knows any good tips?
If you don't agree with breeding dogs, please don't comment. I am breeding her to AKC requirements.
Thank you for any tips!
Blue_Aussie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cardinal » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:23 am

M A P L E S H A D E wrote:So I am breeding my Australian shepherd next year and thought I would ask if anyone knows any good tips?
If you don't agree with breeding dogs, please don't comment. I am breeding her to AKC requirements.
Thank you for any tips!

I didnt know the AKC had breeding requirements, thats awesome! Is it a new program? What are some of the requirements they put in place? I've been out of the loop for a while but I know a few years ago people were hoping the AKC would be stricter with breeding abd registration.
Honey, it's in the stars
And you're my everything from here to Mars
And every word I say I truly mean
Dear darling, I hope I'm being clear
'Cause there's no one like you on earth
That can be my universe

Cardinal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Transkitty » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:32 am

M A P L E S H A D E wrote:So I am breeding my Australian shepherd next year and thought I would ask if anyone knows any good tips?
Thank you for any tips!

AKC requirements? The AKC doesn't have any kind of requirements. They're simply a registry, not an enforcement agency.

How old is your girl? What titles and health testing does she have?
Transkitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me