Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby CaveycaveeYT » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:28 pm

Im back!
But locked out of my old account as i cant remember any of my details -,-
So UPDATEEEE
Toffee's been sold to a nice boy named Oliver (Toffee broke my arm on the 22nd Feb 2013 - not mine, friends horse)
Joey is for sale (not mine)

I started loaning Monty for 6months but he was 23 so was very limited on what he could do, yet still managed to break my other arm on the 20th Dec 2013 xD

On my birthday (3rd jan) my parents told me we had Marco on loan!!! Marco is by Darco and over jumps EVERYTHINGxD
I'll get some pictures if i have time but school is taking over my life -,- GCSE's and what not :P
if you want to see videos i do have a youtube:) HERE
CaveycaveeYT

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby stirrupirons » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:59 pm

@Enchanted: No problem! :)

@Bareback Riding: I don't really ride bareback because the horses I ride are either green, pushy, or spooky, lol. And after breaking my collarbone I'd like to minimize all risks xD

@Wibeke: Glad you had fun on Harry! He sounds cool :) have fun with him during your quarter lease! so glad you get to lease him :)

@country.girl: Put some MTG at the base of his tail, it works wonders! and put it in a tail bag to prevent any further thinning :) for bonding, I like to just spend time grooming them, doing groundwork, and teaching them tricks. I broke my collarbone last April and when I couldn't ride, I round penned the OTTB I ride and we developed such a close bond because he started to really respect me and we had fun times together. I thought we had a bond before, but now it's 10x stronger :)

I will reply to everyone else and post about work tomorrow. I have to get up at 6 and head out to feed, wrap, and groom horses for my trainer since they've been staying in because of the weather, and she's going to a tack swap in the morning. :D
stirrupirons

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Harleen Quinzel » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:22 pm

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get my 17yr old Arabian to keep his head down and take a bit? I've tried having someone hold his head while I try to get the bit in, I tried to bait him with treats (that was my first failed attempt), I keep the bit in a heated office cleaned after every use, and covered in a rag to keep dust and dirt off, I've tried longing him to tire him out a little... My biggest problem is when I get the bit positioned in front of his muzzle, he clamps his teeth together and if I try to stick my thumb up in the back/side, he throws his head up high. I'm only 5'2", and I cant reach that high. And he won't stand still. Today it took a little over 15min of me following him around the indoor round pen to finally get him to bite the copper ring in the middle of the bit. Only then was I able to get it over his head. I REALLY need some advice. I don't want to have to be harsh with him, since I prefer to be patient and gentle a horse, instead of impatient and breaking one, but he's 17, been trained in Dressage and Huntseat, and we've had the dentist come out and file his teeth already. He does not have his wolf teeth. The only thing about him is he was very malnourished when we got him to the point where his nickname was Toothpick (his registered name is Ya Centaur, barn name Ozay). I'm not really sure what to do at this point with his bit. I ride him bit less a lot, but he needs a bit for the county fair competitions we plan to enter this summer
Harleen Quinzel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby psychodrama » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:33 pm

@Sassie.
IF you can hold his head down (By his nose) With the hand you hold the bridle in and give him a couple of treats with your free hand, when he takes them, put your fingers in the side of his mouth. If he doesn't open, pull back a little, he should open up, then put the bit in his mouth. This works with a really naughty little pony down my yard who does this, so hopefully combining it all should also work for you, luckily for me, my horse opens his mouth for the bit.
---

Anyway so I have Chester today as well as Casper *yay*. I used to look after Chester for a bit when he first moved here and the woman who was brining him on went on holiday for a bit. now his new owner is off on holiday, I have him again, hopefully he will be a good boy :).
Ive got dressage on Sunday with Casper, prelim 7 and I can already feel the stress. Dressage always stresses me out, ive done it loads but still, I am a lot more relaxed Showing.

Anyone else feel relaxed doing one type of competition and stressed doing another?
psychodrama

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Harleen Quinzel » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:05 am

@Casper Holding his head down is almost impossible, since he is MUCH stronger than I am. And I have tried using treats. a) he isn't too fond of them, and b) it was the first thing I tried. He won't let me put my fingers near the sides of his mouth either. That's when he throws his head
Harleen Quinzel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ξƞçɧαƞtєđ » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:34 am

@Rebel Love Song~ Thank you very much <3 You should see them when they are both actually clean-clean. When I wash out Sky's mane and tail, it is drop dead snow white. I'll have to post pics some other time though. xD

@Casper~ I've only shown twice since getting my boys, but I know what you mean. The first show, believe it or not, was less stressful then my last show because my first time, I didn't have time to think as I was running around trying to get everything in order. My second show, I had time to think about it and that is when the nerves started setting in. But when me and Sky first got into the arena, it seemed to all melt away and we did our very best, and I couldn't ask for anything more. Just imagine yourself practicing in your arena instead of picturing it as the real deal- as that is what helped me through as I do have terrible stage fright and normally almost pass out or have to jump to a quick end to rush to the bathroom so I don't end up getting sick in front of everyone. xD

@SassieC~ Sky had a problem taking the bit at first as well. Did you switch bits recently or do you know if he had any previous mouth issues or injuries? Sometimes it is just a respect issue as well. When I first got Sky, it would take me a good 10minutes to get him to finally take the bit and he is a 17hh horse and I'm only 5'4'' so there was no muscling or standing on my tiptoes to try to get it in. Try doing some basic ground work to get his manners in check. Doing that with Sky is why it takes less then 10 seconds to put the bit in now and he gladly lowers his head so I can actually reach the corners of his mouth, if I even have to as sometimes he'll open up his mouth as soon as I come over with the bridle before I can even think of putting my fingers in his mouth. xD
"тняσυgн αcтιση, α мαη вεcσмεs α нεяσ
тняσυgн dεαтн, α нεяσ вεcσмεs α ℓεgεηd
тняσυgн тιмε, α ℓεgεηd вεcσмεs α мүтн
αη∂ вү ℓεαяηιηg ғяσм тнε мүтн α мαη тαкεs αcтιση."
ξƞçɧαƞtєđ

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby country.girl » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:42 am

Thanks for the advice and welcomes everyone. I will be sure to try all if these things once the ground thaws and the snow melts. I get to go see her again tommorrow, so I am excited.

@enchanted - your horses are gorgeous! I love TNWHs, they are so beautiful.

Once I get back onto a computer I will try to get pictures up of my two.
There's something about the peace and quiet of a summer afternoon in the country...
country.girl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby scene_kid » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:29 am

@SassieC
could you try tying him up short in a head collar then putting the bridle on?
btw Mandy-Lou22 is soooo amazing wanna give her a massive hug
also thank you to Asura for giving me my dream pet
also thank you to AiraSkylar for giving be the 08 advent of my dreams
another thank you to ~Amberleaf~ who gave me 3 free rares!

scene_kid

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Harleen Quinzel » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:56 am

@scene_kid I always ride him with a halter on, but I /never/ put a bit in when a horse is tied up. Seen too many accidents happen
Harleen Quinzel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nocte Luna » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:22 am

I had a great lesson today, except all the horses were super fresh and didn't want to listen. But at least my horse (Smoochie) has gotten used to the heater at the back of the arena, she has been really hesitant to walk by it for the past few weeks.

And on a really exciting note, the barn owner said she's trying to get the horse I share leased over the summer, Hayes, back to the barn. I am so excited!
-hunters/equitation-great comet-
[29 gifts sent to other players-10 gifts sent to me-1 mutual gifting]
There is no such thing as random, there is always a probability of something, no matter how small or unlikely, happening.
Nocte Luna

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me