Poultry Lovers Club

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Which type of fowl is your favorite?

Standard Chicken
34%
Duck
15%
Geese
3%
Turkey
3%
Peafowl
4%
Pigeons
15%
Bantams
18%
Other
8%

Total votes : 473

Re: Poultry Lovers -- Chat Thread/Club

Postby spaceferrari » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:39 am

Thank you so much! I'll be sure to use those in my project. ^^ You guys are great. I'll definitely be using some of the breeds you mentioned! If I can get some good pictures or scan my sketchbook, I'll show you all some of my doodles. I think they're pretty good!
breonna taylor.
spaceferrari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MaineiacJay » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:45 am

so we have 2 brown egg layers right now, both big black marans/ameraucana. for like, a week and a half we werent getting any brown eggs, and these girls are every day layers. so we were like, what the heck??

finally the other day i see my blue egg layer (which happens to be one of the younger EEs! not one of the big girls like i suspected!) coming out from some long grass by a lilac tree so i go over there, and there is a nest of SIXTEEN brown eggs! GAH! so now i have to check that spot every day along with the nesting boxes in the coop. she is an afternoon layer so we cant lock her up in the coop until she lays. i am trying not to disturb that spot so hopefully if they decide to lay outside the coop, they keep that spot. i dont want them laying in the woods but its pretty much impossible to keep them in the pen until i can get the dog kennel i want and put a cover on it.

as for the doodles, id love to see them =) i like art. never drawn chickens though! was never real good with birds to begin with. im better with dogs =P

but i have taken some pictures of them :D

Birthday: July 13 | Anniversary: September 18
Welcoming our daughter 1/7/19 ❤
MaineiacJay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby skywarp. » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:06 am

I love chickens, they have some at a friend's house. They are such fun animals!
A person who loves Transformers, Star Wars, Portal, Ferrets, Animals, and Homestuck.
Working on learning Portuguese. :> PRONOUNCING!

Jack Noir.
Tumblr
skywarp.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby spaceferrari » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:03 am

Those are great photos! I can't ever get such good shots of my friend's birds; they're always moving! My photos always turn out blurry. As promised, here are some of my doodles:

Image Image

I had to take photos of them with my phone, so the quality is pretty poor. :\
breonna taylor.
spaceferrari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MaineiacJay » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:22 am

yeah, they are not easy animals to photograph! Toni, the second photo, she is my blue egg layer =D

those are pretty good for sketches. i cant sketch or doodle at all. its pretty sad and doesnt make a whole lot of sense, especially if you take in the fact that i draw pretty well! haha

i definitely have to work on my bird anatomy, it isnt very good at all :?
MaineiacJay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby spaceferrari » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:52 am

I love that! Drawing from life definitely helps to make things look more realistic. I've been observing and playing with my friend's chickens for a couple of years now as well as studying magazines ("Chickens" from Hobby Farm) and books. I also doodle on pretty much everything so I get plenty of practice. :3 Though my finished drawings do usually look better.
I have some pages of pencil drawings too; here's the good one:

My favorites are the chick and Spanish white-faced. ^^ I especially love drawing their feet!
These are all referenced from magazines, which is why they look better than the pen sketches, which are freehand.
I also tend to refine my pencil sketches until they look "right;" you can't do that with pens!
breonna taylor.
spaceferrari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gà. » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:21 am

I love those sketches! I love sketches, in general. I have the same style as you, too, so it makes me really love sketches, seeing all of the anatomy and such. :3 I even drew a really good ohiki last year, but I lost the drawing ;(
Love the magazine pictures, I really like the Sumatra (is that a Sumatra? )
Gà.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby spaceferrari » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:29 am

Gà. wrote:I love those sketches! I love sketches, in general. I have the same style as you, too, so it makes me really love sketches, seeing all of the anatomy and such. :3 I even drew a really good ohiki last year, but I lost the drawing ;(
Love the magazine pictures, I really like the Sumatra (is that a Sumatra? )

Thank you! I have another page, but I haven't scanned it since the drawings aren't as good.
Yes! Left to right, from top to bottom, I think they are: Sebright chick, Rhode Island Red hen, Spanish White-Face rooster, Sumatra rooster, hybrid hen, La Fleche rooster and Phoenix rooster.
breonna taylor.
spaceferrari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MaineiacJay » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:36 am

i know what a silkie/marans rooster looks like, and a silkie/ameraucana hen :thumbup:

but i dont think thats very helpful to you :?

moving the images of the mixes you were curious about to my post on the next page.
Last edited by MaineiacJay on Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
MaineiacJay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MaineiacJay » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:41 am

let me see if i can hunt down a pic. she belongs to my mom. i took care of her for a while until my mom got her coop up. ill add it to my post above if i can find it. but she looked more like an ameraucana with the brown feathers but she was small and had black skin and 5 toes

[MOVED FROM MY PREVIOUS POST so it was on the new page]

EDIT: Google to the rescue! i do NOT own these photos.

silkie X Mille Fleur
ImageImage

silkie/sebright cross

white silkie x buff silkie:
apparently white can be dominant or recessive and can hide other colors. so depending on the purity of your white bird you could get white chicks, buff chicks and possibly some partridge chicks.
Last edited by MaineiacJay on Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
MaineiacJay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me