The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby kay. » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:47 am

Anyone have any experience with chipmunks? Do NOT say they can't make good pets or I shouldn't get one, I will simply ignore you. I am not getting one anytime soon (hopefully next year after summer holidays). Done plenty of research (still doing more) and there is a responsible breeder nearby. Yes I will handle him/her every day for at least an hour, know what to feed it, be sure the dog can't get it, amuse it both mentally & physically and clean the cage out every 2/3 days.
kay.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ppig » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:52 am

Xena. wrote:
Anyone have any experience with chipmunks? Do NOT say they can't make good pets or I shouldn't get one, I will simply ignore you. I am not getting one anytime soon (hopefully next year after summer holidays). Done plenty of research (still doing more) and there is a responsible breeder nearby. Yes I will handle him/her every day for at least an hour, know what to feed it, be sure the dog can't get it, amuse it both mentally & physically and clean the cage out every 2/3 days.

I never knew chipmunks could be kept as pets. What are they like, as pets?
ppig

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kay. » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:00 am

BlackPersianSheep. wrote:
Xena. wrote:

From opinions of people who own them & guides I read so far, they are like toddlers that never grow up since you have to have a hawk eye on them all the time so they don't cause harm to themselves or your house. They're really bouncy, active & energetic, so as I said I will handle and take them out for at least an hour a day because they need that. They are pretty much like a squirrel, they eat fruit and veggies, and I need to research some more about what trees (so they can gnaw on them) they can eat and what nuts. They also have an instinct to dig so I'm guessing I'll buy a plant pot, put some soil into it and let them dig in it for a bit once a week. More for experienced owners around rodents (I owned rodents for 7 years, had; a mouse, a rat & 2 guinea pigs) since they are really rapid and aren't the sort of pet to cuddle with unless REALLY used to the owner.
kay.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby GummyKarp » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:01 am

The Great Escape. wrote:I have a huge problem.

I bred rats and now I have about 15-16 rats that no one wants. Not even pet stores.

The only thing I can suggest if you can't sell them as pets is to sell them as feeders. This may sound cruel but snakes have to eat too and as a previous owner of snakes it's not nearly as brutal as most people describe. I would get a hold of some snake breeders through craigslist and try your luck there.
GummyKarp

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ceratosaurus » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:17 am

Hello everyone! I own three hamsters, and will be getting a rabbit soon. If you guys want any pictures, I have some. ^^
ceratosaurus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Mad Girl » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:21 am

perspicacious. wrote:Hello everyone! I own three hamsters, and will be getting a rabbit soon. If you guys want any pictures, I have some. ^^

I would like to see, I love hamsters!
The Mad Girl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby windsorblue17 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:28 am

Sorry for the false information about hamsters! I will try to find a better article soon.
Very adorable, everyone.

Xena. wrote:
BlackPersianSheep. wrote:
Xena. wrote:[size=85]

From opinions of people who own them & guides I read so far, they are like toddlers that never grow up since you have to have a hawk eye on them all the time so they don't cause harm to themselves or your house. They're really bouncy, active & energetic, so as I said I will handle and take them out for at least an hour a day because they need that. They are pretty much like a squirrel, they eat fruit and veggies, and I need to research some more about what trees (so they can gnaw on them) they can eat and what nuts. They also have an instinct to dig so I'm guessing I'll buy a plant pot, put some soil into it and let them dig in it for a bit once a week. More for experienced owners around rodents (I owned rodents for 7 years, had; a mouse, a rat & 2 guinea pigs) since they are really rapid and aren't the sort of pet to cuddle with unless REALLY used to the owner.

I'm really curious: why a chipmunk? Why an exotic pet over one that's a lot less maintenance, legal everywhere, or even the same personality?
windsorblue17

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby GummyKarp » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:54 am

Xena. wrote:

I would be a little concerned about them not being domestic animals. There is also the unpreditability that comes along with having a wild pet. The breeder may be trying to domesticate them but it takes many many generations to do so and even then not every animal is meant to be a pet.

It sounds very interesting though and good luck to you if you do get one :thumbup:
GummyKarp

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Angelus Gaston » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:20 am

Thresher wrote:
Xena. wrote:

I would be a little concerned about them not being domestic animals. There is also the unpreditability that comes along with having a wild pet. The breeder may be trying to domesticate them but it takes many many generations to do so and even then not every animal is meant to be a pet.

It sounds very interesting though and good luck to you if you do get one :thumbup:

Having owned chipmunks you need a huge cage and I mean huge we had a nine foot leangh by six foot high out door cage.
They are not an apartment pet and not good for first time pets.
There skittish and really fast when frightened will bite when needed and can be pretty hard to tame.
They need longer than an hour out of the cage and will climb on everything and anything unless your willing to nail everything down things will be broken, they will also try and escape and can survive in the wild if they do.
Mental stimulation just isn't enough with munks unless they have plenty of space and company like rats and other rodents you need more than one we had four females and they were still loco handled daily plenty of space and stimulation they just arnt ment to be pets.

Not to sound harsh but why not just stick to rats or mice Chipmunks have no busyness being kept in small cages in a house or apartment not even in a well built cage in a yard. There not a tame rodent even when breed to.
CharsArt WantedTradescredit
╔══════════════════════╗
We would do something
Sarcastic and witty with this but
We cant be bothered. We go by
Angelus One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh lover

╚══════════════════════╝
Angelus Gaston

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bin child » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:57 am

I have never owned chipmunks either, but I do know that in the wild chipmunks are very hyper and active so you'd need a massive cage. If you're looking for an energetic pet, why not try chinchillas? :3
previously luminescent., just decided to change it up a bit! ^.^if you get the reference, you're a fantastic human c:
bin child

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me