Snakes

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Snakes

Postby taurus ; » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:06 am

Some fairly recents of my baby boy<3 A few months back, at the growing rate of snakes, not much change between then and now.

'MAHM STOP SMOTHERING ME LET ME DOWN SO I CN EXPLOREE....what happens when I put him down....

Khaa is his name but I never call him that, his many nicknames include' 'lil boy' 'big boy' 'noodleboy' baby boy' LMAO MY SNAKE'S NAME IS PRACTICALLY BOY
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby -sMiLe- » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:16 am

I would love to have a snake, but sadly my boyfriend does not like snakes lol. Although I might just have to convince him.. Ill settle for a little hog nose or a sand boa, they're some of my favorites anyways.
Although I would love love love a ball python I don't think he'd be for it lol.
ρєт σƒ тнє мσηтн ♥

accomplishments wrote:12/7 ♦ 1200 dogs in my collection!!!
12/14 ♦ 1400 dogs in my collection!!!
7/15 ♦ 1600 dogs in my collection!!!
-sMiLe-

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ! honeysuckle ! » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:17 am

-sMiLe- wrote:
I would love to have a snake, but sadly my boyfriend does not like snakes lol. Although I might just have to convince him.. Ill settle for a little hog nose or a sand boa, they're some of my favorites anyways.

Good luck with your convincing :) If you do get one make sure to share a picture!
! honeysuckle !

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby -sMiLe- » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:01 pm

tuttifrutti000 wrote:
-sMiLe- wrote:

Good luck with your convincing :) If you do get one make sure to share a picture!

oh for sure! no worries there haha. I really want a little hog nose. they're so docile and friendly.
ρєт σƒ тнє мσηтн ♥

-sMiLe-

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Last Raven » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:09 pm

-sMiLe- wrote:

This is why my future man must be ok with snakes. He doesn't have to love them but at least tolerate them. I own 3 ball pythons and they are too precious to me to ever get rid of them.
──-────────────────────
raven|she|adult
────────────────────-──
███░█████████████████ █
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
███░█████████████████ █
──-────────────────────
hi! i’m a long time player
who loves to hoard chameleons
and anything else that tickles my fancy.
i am a huge nerd and love to cosplay!

────────────────────-──
███░█████████████████ █
███░█████████████ █
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
──-───────────────
coding credit pascal
collection dream

ImageImageImage
───────────────-──
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
───────────────-──
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
───────────────-──
███░█████████████ █
The Last Raven

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby -sMiLe- » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:46 am

The Last Raven wrote:This is why my future man must be ok with snakes. He doesn't have to love them but at least tolerate them. I own 3 ball pythons and they are too precious to me to ever get rid of them.

I totally understand that haha. I think my boyfriend will be more than willing to tolerate a small snake. Just not huge ones. Lol, either way I'm getting a snake idc what he says, I'll be nice and promise him nothing bigger than a ball python though just so he's pleased as well. :lol:

EDIT: actually the more research I do I really would love a Blood Python. They don't get extremely long, they're more girthy than log. Which I like, they don't seem very difficult to care for. I could build an enclosure on my own and have it just the way I want it to, I read they only eat every 2 weeks or so due to their slow metabolism and I feel like my boyfriend would put up with it. It'll just take a little more convicing than a little Hog Nose or a Sand Boa lol.
ρєт σƒ тнє мσηтн ♥

-sMiLe-

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:30 am

-sMiLe- wrote:
The Last Raven wrote:This is why my future man must be ok with snakes. He doesn't have to love them but at least tolerate them. I own 3 ball pythons and they are too precious to me to ever get rid of them.

I totally understand that haha. I think my boyfriend will be more than willing to tolerate a small snake. Just not huge ones. Lol, either way I'm getting a snake idc what he says, I'll be nice and promise him nothing bigger than a ball python though just so he's pleased as well. :lol:

EDIT: actually the more research I do I really would love a Blood Python. They don't get extremely long, they're more girthy than log. Which I like, they don't seem very difficult to care for. I could build an enclosure on my own and have it just the way I want it to, I read they only eat every 2 weeks or so due to their slow metabolism and I feel like my boyfriend would put up with it. It'll just take a little more convicing than a little Hog Nose or a Sand Boa lol.

Blood pythons are really for more experienced owners, they are known for their reputation as a temperamental and flighty species. Babies are really nippy and it's very common for adult bloods to have an attitude. Bloods have a lot of power behind their bites, so a bite from a blood can do a lot more damage, compared to a hoggie or a sand boa. Also, they are a big snake, adults can get up to 6lbs and weigh up to 20lbs or more. They are also very vocal, lots of hissing, huffing/puffing, which can be scary for a first time owner.

That being said, its always good for people getting onto snakes to start with a small, easy to care for species. Nothing against the blood python, they are actually my fav. species of python, and I can't wait for the day that I can own one!!
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kivr & fireflii » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:06 pm

I don't know if you could convince someone who doesn't like snakes to get a hognose. :P Easy to care for, but they're HUGE bluffers. Hiss, flail around, flatten themselves, pretend to strike, and even play dead (if they're stressed enough). At least enough to scare new keepers the first few times. I find it amusing (and if you like them, you probably would, too), but for trying to convince someone that doesn't like snakes in the first place? lol Might be better with a corn or ball python going that route. Both have a lot of affordable morph options to choose from. Kenyan sand boa would be great, too. :) Maybe show him that video of the little sand boa in the mini-turtle sandbox to convince him? :P If you can convince him to go to a reptile expo with you, exposure helps people realize that snakes aren't so bad (especially the baby ball pythons, they'll be the most likely snake to just curl up out of stress from the expo rather than wiggle around or nip).
-fireflii
kivr centers | fireflii signs
kivr & fireflii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby -sMiLe- » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:32 am

winter & fireflii wrote:I don't know if you could convince someone who doesn't like snakes to get a hognose. :P Easy to care for, but they're HUGE bluffers. Hiss, flail around, flatten themselves, pretend to strike, and even play dead (if they're stressed enough). At least enough to scare new keepers the first few times. I find it amusing (and if you like them, you probably would, too), but for trying to convince someone that doesn't like snakes in the first place? lol Might be better with a corn or ball python going that route. Both have a lot of affordable morph options to choose from. Kenyan sand boa would be great, too. :) Maybe show him that video of the little sand boa in the mini-turtle sandbox to convince him? :P If you can convince him to go to a reptile expo with you, exposure helps people realize that snakes aren't so bad (especially the baby ball pythons, they'll be the most likely snake to just curl up out of stress from the expo rather than wiggle around or nip).
-fireflii

that's true, i also would prefer a ball python over a corn or sand boa, i've just heard that corn snakes are very fidgety & Id like a snake that i could just chill out with yaknow haha. i might end up getting a ball python and build an enclosure for that instead. since they don't get too big and they're easy going.

halogen. wrote:
-sMiLe- wrote:

Blood pythons are really for more experienced owners, they are known for their reputation as a temperamental and flighty species. Babies are really nippy and it's very common for adult bloods to have an attitude. Bloods have a lot of power behind their bites, so a bite from a blood can do a lot more damage, compared to a hoggie or a sand boa. Also, they are a big snake, adults can get up to 6lbs and weigh up to 20lbs or more. They are also very vocal, lots of hissing, huffing/puffing, which can be scary for a first time owner.

That being said, its always good for people getting onto snakes to start with a small, easy to care for species. Nothing against the blood python, they are actually my fav. species of python, and I can't wait for the day that I can own one!!

I love blood pythons and I didn't know they were for more experienced reptile keepers, I may look into a Ball Python or a little Sand Boa. I just have always loved the bigger snakes since they're usually more docile but I guess Ill see when that time comes haha
ρєт σƒ тнє мσηтн ♥

-sMiLe-

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:49 am

Hey guys, what are some of your favorite species of wild snake? I haven't put much study into snakes, but I still think they're so cool, especially with those little vestigial legs...imagine their early ancestors and how they must've looked!
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me