Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:43 am

I'm beginning to wonder if maybe it's the smell of his food that's putting my leopard gecko off? He'll act hungry when I walk by his tank, but as soon as I stick a bug in front of him, he'll sniff it and become disinterested. Anyone have any tips to make it smell more pleasant to him? Maybe there's something I can feed the bugs or coat them in that would help? All of his bugs are given things like apples, potatoes, etc. as food, then dusted with calcium powder.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

stinky bois~ (no more stinky?)

Postby vanilla grrl » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:54 pm

I have 2 stinky bois, they're 2 iguanas named pluto and zero, they're not in tip top condition (yet) considering I took them in from this lady who housed them together because she "didn't feel like getting another tank" only fed them kale because "it's the cheapest option" and didnt have UV light for them... Anyway when I got them they came in a 55 gallon tank with really stinky substrate and were covered in poo and stuck shed. So I cleaned out the tank, put down these puppy pad like liners and put zero in there. I got another tank and did the same and put pluto in it. Now they have proper heating and lighting. But the thing is they poo a lot and its reallly reallly stinky. I was wondering if there was anything I could use to as a substrate to neutralize the smell? (btw theyre very small so thats why theyre not in bigger tanks yet)
vanilla grrl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: stinky bois~ (no more stinky?)

Postby Targaryen » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:39 am

mintii min wrote:I have 2 stinky bois, they're 2 iguanas named pluto and zero, they're not in tip top condition (yet) considering I took them in from this lady who housed them together because she "didn't feel like getting another tank" only fed them kale because "it's the cheapest option" and didnt have UV light for them... Anyway when I got them they came in a 55 gallon tank with really stinky substrate and were covered in poo and stuck shed. So I cleaned out the tank, put down these puppy pad like liners and put zero in there. I got another tank and did the same and put pluto in it. Now they have proper heating and lighting. But the thing is they poo a lot and its reallly reallly stinky. I was wondering if there was anything I could use to as a substrate to neutralize the smell? (btw theyre very small so thats why theyre not in bigger tanks yet)

Any real substrate mix like coconut husk/coconut fibre/cypress mulch/top soil will be pretty good at hiding the odour and make spotcleaning easier
Targaryen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Motty » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:37 am

I don't get to own my own reptiles but I am always minding my friend's when they go out of town. But being in Australia they aren't that active yet as they are just coming out of torpor.
Motty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ZeroToInfinity » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:01 am

I have a Rainbow Uromastyx named Dragon. She always is walking around her enclosure but lately, she hasn't. I feed her but she doesn't eat. I don't know if something is wrong. Yesterday she was walking around, but I forgot to feed her! What should I do?
We're a system. We will most often sign off with who's fronting.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ZeroToInfinity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Salamandaa » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:04 pm

dino cat wrote:I have a Rainbow Uromastyx named Dragon. She always is walking around her enclosure but lately, she hasn't. I feed her but she doesn't eat. I don't know if something is wrong. Yesterday she was walking around, but I forgot to feed her! What should I do?

I'm not very familiar with this species, but how long has she not been eating? Have you tried offering her different foods to entice her?

Since she's female, sometimes things like hormone/temperature/season change can affect a lizard's behavior and may cause them to fast.

Most reptiles can go a while without eating, but you may want to seek out a vet's advice -- I don't want to tell you she's fine in case she isn't. Or join a reptile forum that has more experienced uromastyx keepers that you can talk to.

EDIT: I see you posted this a while ago, so hopefully she's doing better now, but my advice still stands to talk to either a vet or someone with experience if she's still not eating. Hope this helps ^^

My old username was Frostdragon
New username, new me! I like dinosaurs.
Salamandaa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ZeroToInfinity » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:13 am

Lizardian wrote:
dino cat wrote:I have a Rainbow Uromastyx named Dragon. She always is walking around her enclosure but lately, she hasn't. I feed her but she doesn't eat. I don't know if something is wrong. Yesterday she was walking around, but I forgot to feed her! What should I do?

I'm not very familiar with this species, but how long has she not been eating? Have you tried offering her different foods to entice her?

Since she's female, sometimes things like hormone/temperature/season change can affect a lizard's behavior and may cause them to fast.

Most reptiles can go a while without eating, but you may want to seek out a vet's advice -- I don't want to tell you she's fine in case she isn't. Or join a reptile forum that has more experienced uromastyx keepers that you can talk to.

EDIT: I see you posted this a while ago, so hopefully she's doing better now, but my advice still stands to talk to either a vet or someone with experience if she's still not eating. Hope this helps ^^

She did start eating when I started giving her cilantro. She started being more active and she is much healthier, but thank you! I bathed her and took her for a walk, then she started climbing in the cooler side of her enclosure before starting to bask again. She is doing great! She usually does hibernate for winter, but it is a little early for that.
We're a system. We will most often sign off with who's fronting.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ZeroToInfinity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Catsplat18 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:24 am

I am so in love with blue-tongue skinks. Does anyone here have one? I really, really want one but I'm still doing my research.
reload to see a new adopt from
my uma storage xx

never forget
summer 2018
she/they|| bi/pan/queer
♥️ reptiles, birds, arthropods ♥️ my carrd ♥️
♥️ occasional adopts ♥️ my CS collection goals ♥️
Catsplat18

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby theexileofkiem » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:21 am

Catsplat18 wrote:I am so in love with blue-tongue skinks. Does anyone here have one? I really, really want one but I'm still doing my research.

Aw man I want a northern blue tongue skink so bad!! Northerners don't need as much humidity as some of the other species (and are also typically less wild caught I think?) And I live in a dry place so that's probably what would work best for me out of the blues. But they are so many species of them and it's interesting to learn about them??? There's this guy I found on YouTube who makes great videos about them--he's actually a breeder that lives in my state. His username is ReptileMountain.TV
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
my kalons|my lux lacerti

I'm an artist for Lux
---
they|pagan|taken

theexileofkiem

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Catsplat18 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:53 am

theexileofkiem wrote:
Catsplat18 wrote:I am so in love with blue-tongue skinks. Does anyone here have one? I really, really want one but I'm still doing my research.

Aw man I want a northern blue tongue skink so bad!! Northerners don't need as much humidity as some of the other species (and are also typically less wild caught I think?) And I live in a dry place so that's probably what would work best for me out of the blues. But they are so many species of them and it's interesting to learn about them??? There's this guy I found on YouTube who makes great videos about them--he's actually a breeder that lives in my state. His username is ReptileMountain.TV

I love Halmaheras the most (assuming they're captive-bred), but Northerns are a close second and like you said, they're okay in drier areas, so I'll probably end up getting one of those, if I do get a skink. I'll check out the YouTuber you suggested!
reload to see a new adopt from
my uma storage xx

never forget
summer 2018
she/they|| bi/pan/queer
♥️ reptiles, birds, arthropods ♥️ my carrd ♥️
♥️ occasional adopts ♥️ my CS collection goals ♥️
Catsplat18

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery