Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby sorroh » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:09 pm

eleutheromania wrote:
@marner ; if this is recent behavior, have you tried to figure out what occurred to cause it? it sounds like she’s uncomfortable with you guys moving around her while she’s sleeping or quite possibility startling her? i would also check with your vet if it’s out of the ordinary.

She has eye problems but according to the vet they're clearing up and she should be able to see a lot better now. That's the only thing we could really think of.
𝕷𝖎𝖑𝖎𝖙𝖍 | 𝕾𝖍𝖊/𝕳𝖊𝖗 | 𝕬𝖖𝖚𝖆𝖗𝖎𝖚𝖘
sorroh

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:22 pm

Captain Thomas Lasky wrote:I am just in shock of how much people lack in how the body works right now.

It makes me facepalm at the amount of lack of information. I mean if I get blood test it shows the nutrients and hormone lvls it's why they tell you not to eat before getting blood drawn as it effects the hormones in ones body. Since they can actually test for that in humans and dogs they can determine if a person/animsl has a balanced diet.

A blood test can prove iron deficiencies calcium deficies and all that indicating a not balanced diet.

This is sll I will say on that matter as it's time thd topic end.

You're right in that I misspoke and meant utilization when I said absorption. But I agree it's time for the topic to end. You agree with experts who recommend kibble, I agree with experts who recommend raw. Let's end it at that.

Marner wrote:
eleutheromania wrote:
@marner ; if this is recent behavior, have you tried to figure out what occurred to cause it? it sounds like she’s uncomfortable with you guys moving around her while she’s sleeping or quite possibility startling her? i would also check with your vet if it’s out of the ordinary.

She has eye problems but according to the vet they're clearing up and she should be able to see a lot better now. That's the only thing we could really think of.

Eye problems could easily be the culprit. It could also be sleep aggression, which is common in Greyhounds but usually goes away. Can you crate her? This might help her feel more secure that someone isn't going to sneak up on her. Also I could recommend that you try to let her know when you're approaching her when she is sleeping by calling out to her. For your other pets I would recommend putting bells on their collars so she can hear them coming. Speaking of hearing, is it possible she has some hearing loss?
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:10 pm

spent all day with a very sweet boxer. He's 14 yrs old and has problems with his right leg. He was so so sweet though. I love him to death. His name is also dog.. haha.
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:29 pm

Asking my dog to jump directly at my face teeth first probably wasn’t the smartest idea I’ve ever had but I didn’t die and got a fun photo so worth it 😂

O is working on dock diving ground work! Pushing off the dock, jumping for toys, etc! Can’t wait to get her on the dock again!

Meanwhile Kes is the same weirdo as always. I got off early today so I actually got to see her before dark which was nice lol. Normally we work at night and can never get photos! She just randomly dropped into this position and stayed there while I got a photo 😂 weird dog
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:33 pm

@.Middy. - That is one awesome action shot.
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 2008 dodge caliber » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:40 pm

Hi, first time posting on here, don't have a dog but my mom is planning on getting one. I have very limited knowledge on dogs being a cat person for my whole life, so I'm hoping to find some help.

Since me and my brother are planning to leave home and start our life soon, mom wants to get a dog to kind of replace us, I know it sounds bad, but she needs someone or something at home to keep her distracted. She's looking for a medium sized dog, one that doesn't bark a lot, doesn't need a lot of care but a lot of love. I'm not sure if there are any type of dog breeds that work better with cats than other breeds, but we're looking for those. We're not looking for a really noisy dog since she's a light sleeper and wakes up because of the smallest noises. And lastly, are there any tips on adopting dogs? Like any organizations that donate to a good cause?Any good organizations in New York state? I'm willing to drive four hours for a dog. Thanks for the help!

chuck
they/them
EST
9.15.20 | 2.15.22
taking semi-hiatus
--
full time student
replies are slow

x

2008 dodge caliber

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:57 pm

check out petfinder.com its a life saver!
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sorroh » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:05 pm

@Imzadi83
She has separation anxiety and sleeps on the floor next to someone's bed. We crated her when we first got her but now it's just another place to sleep all day, we rarely use it. She might have hearing problems, it honestly won't surprise me.
𝕷𝖎𝖑𝖎𝖙𝖍 | 𝕾𝖍𝖊/𝕳𝖊𝖗 | 𝕬𝖖𝖚𝖆𝖗𝖎𝖚𝖘
sorroh

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:21 pm

Northern Seal wrote:
Hi, first time posting on here, don't have a dog but my mom is planning on getting one. I have very limited knowledge on dogs being a cat person for my whole life, so I'm hoping to find some help.

Since me and my brother are planning to leave home and start our life soon, mom wants to get a dog to kind of replace us, I know it sounds bad, but she needs someone or something at home to keep her distracted. She's looking for a medium sized dog, one that doesn't bark a lot, doesn't need a lot of care but a lot of love. I'm not sure if there are any type of dog breeds that work better with cats than other breeds, but we're looking for those. We're not looking for a really noisy dog since she's a light sleeper and wakes up because of the smallest noises. And lastly, are there any tips on adopting dogs? Like any organizations that donate to a good cause?Any good organizations in New York state? I'm willing to drive four hours for a dog. Thanks for the help!

I agree with Keighan, Petfinder.com is how I found Chloe. I was looking for an adult, small, female; put that into the search engine and Chloe was actually the first that came up. I looked into more dogs then her, but she was a perfect fit as was the rescue she came from.

Besides looking for specific dogs check out rescues/shelters in general, you can do a search for local ones on Petfinder.com. Look at their policies and get a feel for if you want to work with them. Many rescues/shelters have waiting lists and if you tell them what you're looking for can contact you when a dog comes they think is a good match.

Right off the bat though for NY...
https://www.aspca.org/nyc/aspca-adoption-center-nyc
http://www.humanesocietyny.org/adoptions/
http://www.cnyspca.org/adopt-a-dog/
https://ny.bestfriends.org/?_ga=2.55609507.980450774.1553397335-339084644.1553397335

In general I'd stay away from hounds if she wants someone quiet but it can depend on the dog. If this is going to be her first dog I'd avoid a puppy. Many shelters/rescue cat test their dogs and most will note if a dog has previous experience living with a cat. Of course there's no guarantee, so proper a introduction and management are key.

If you're mom's willing I highly recommend fostering. It might help narrow down what your mom can/can't handle. Many shelters/rescues (most but not all) allow you to adopt a dog you're fostering and it would give her a chance to see how that dog fits into her lifestyle.

Also what's medium to you/your mom? What's too big/small?

Marner wrote:@Imzadi83
She has separation anxiety and sleeps on the floor next to someone's bed. We crated her when we first got her but now it's just another place to sleep all day, we rarely use it. She might have hearing problems, it honestly won't surprise me.

Hmmm...what about putting up a play pen to separate her off from the rest of the room? At least that would prevent the other dogs from getting too close. Do all the dogs sleep in the same room or could the other sleep somewhere else and you close the door or put up a baby gate in the doorway. I mean with humans you can instruct them to get out another side/end of the bed to not get within biting range, but it's not as easy to do with dogs.
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 2008 dodge caliber » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:33 pm

Imzadi83 wrote:
Northern Seal wrote:

I agree with Keighan, Petfinder.com is how I found Chloe. I was looking for an adult, small, female; put that into the search engine and Chloe was actually the first that came up. I looked into more dogs then her, but she was a perfect fit as was the rescue she came from.

Besides looking for specific dogs check out rescues/shelters in general, you can do a search for local ones on Petfinder.com. Look at their policies and get a feel for if you want to work with them. Many rescues/shelters have waiting lists and if you tell them what you're looking for can contact you when a dog comes they think is a good match.

Right off the bat though for NY...
https://www.aspca.org/nyc/aspca-adoption-center-nyc
http://www.humanesocietyny.org/adoptions/
http://www.cnyspca.org/adopt-a-dog/
https://ny.bestfriends.org/?_ga=2.55609507.980450774.1553397335-339084644.1553397335

In general I'd stay away from hounds if she wants someone quiet but it can depend on the dog. If this is going to be her first dog I'd avoid a puppy. Many shelters/rescue cat test their dogs and most will note if a dog has previous experience living with a cat. Of course there's no guarantee, so proper a introduction and management are key.

If you're mom's willing I highly recommend fostering. It might help narrow down what your mom can/can't handle. Many shelters/rescues (most but not all) allow you to adopt a dog you're fostering and it would give her a chance to see how that dog fits into her lifestyle.

Also what's medium to you/your mom? What's too big/small?

Thanks for the tips! I'll bring up fostering, but I'm afraid she'll get too attached haha. Well with my understanding and my mom's understanding, smaller sized dogs are more yappy as a stereotype, but like the smallest we're willing to go is a beagle/boston terrier. We live in a medium sized house, and a dog from a golden retriever is big. I have dog sat my friend's golden retriever and having him in our house, he kept on knocking over some stuff and he slept in the small hallway. Our first dog we had forever ago was a pitbull/boxer mix and I think we might look for another dog like him. Maybe not pitbull but close to that.
Thank you so much!

chuck
they/them
EST
9.15.20 | 2.15.22
taking semi-hiatus
--
full time student
replies are slow

x

2008 dodge caliber

My pets