mods please close

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: SeaWorld and Marine Mammal Captivity

Postby ღmeyheyjayღ » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:38 am

1. In the wild, orcas like to swim 100 miles or more in one day. They would have to swim 1000 laps around their NEW enclosures to get to that distance.
2. EVERY male orca in sea world has a collapsed dorsal fin. In the wild, that happens to less than 1% of orcas, and when it does happen, it is the sign of a sick or injured orca.
3. In the wild, orcas live from 30-50 years. The average age of death in sea world is 13.
4. No orca deaths have yet been of old age. None.

I am trying to be respectful, and this is why I personally think that orcas do not belong at seaworld. Thanks for reading!
ღmeyheyjayღ

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LUVR » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:01 am

meaj5 wrote:1. In the wild, orcas like to swim 100 miles or more in one day. They would have to swim 1000 laps around their NEW enclosures to get to that distance.
2. EVERY male orca in sea world has a collapsed dorsal fin. In the wild, that happens to less than 1% of orcas, and when it does happen, it is the sign of a sick or injured orca.

1. The only reason an orca would swim that much in the wild would be if they were starving and needed to find food.

2. Nakai, 13 years old, living at SeaWorld San Diego, has a perfectly straight dorsal fin. Makani, 2 years old, living at SeaWorld San Diego, has a straight dorsal fin.
゚・:*。 𝓛 。*:・゚

she/her | 20 | scorpio

"let me go, you can't hold on 2 a ghost."

゚・:*。 ☆ 。*:・゚
LUVR

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:06 am

0rca wrote:
meaj5 wrote:1. In the wild, orcas like to swim 100 miles or more in one day. They would have to swim 1000 laps around their NEW enclosures to get to that distance.

1. The only reason an orca would swim that much in the wild would be if they were starving and needed to find food.

2. Nakai, 13 years old, living at SeaWorld San Diego, has a perfectly straight dorsal fin. Makani, 2 years old, living at SeaWorld San Diego, has a straight dorsal fin.

But what about all the other orcas who DON'T have straight dorsal fins? Two orcas don't make up for the 20 or so others.
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:42 am

0rca wrote:

They'd still swim more than their tiny tank provides though, right? Just because it doesn't need to travel 100 miles in a day doesn't mean that 48 feet long and 12 feet deep (minimum size for killer whales) is a great size. Wouldn't it still be beneficial for them to have more space, deeper tanks, more stimulation etc? You don't need to travel further than the fridge/supermarket for food but you probably still enjoy going further outside occasionally. We know that Seaworld plans to build fancier tanks at double the size at some point and that's cool. But for an animal as massive and intelligent as a killer whale it doesn't seem all that much better than the ocean.
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Transkitty » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:59 am

PeachFuzz wrote:
0rca wrote:

But what about all the other orcas who DON'T have straight dorsal fins? Two orcas don't make up for the 20 or so others.

1. Nope. The only reason orcas swim hundreds of miles a day in the wild is because that's what they do. They do it to socialize and play as well as hunt. Not only when they're starving.
2. Their dorsal fins may be perfectly straight, but what about the others that aren't? Or what about the stereotypical behaviors that Makani displays, such as repeatedly beaching himself? Or the injury to Nakai's bottom jaw that was supposedly caused by him scraping it against the edge of the pool?
Transkitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby oceanmando » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:10 am

3. In the wild, orcas live from 30-50 years. The average age of death in sea world is 13.
4. No orca deaths have yet been of old age. None.

I am trying to be respectful, and this is why I personally think that orcas do not belong at seaworld. Thanks for reading!

1. In the wild, whales travel those long distances for food and enrichment, something SeaWorld provides 24/7
2. There are quite a few males with straight dorsals, like Nakai, Makani, Trua, ext.
3. You're taking whales that were not originally SeaWorld's into consideration. Out of the 37 whales that have died at SeaWorld, almost all of them were from other aquariums before SeaWorld. And, SeaWorld has quite a few whales nearing their life-expectancies, with some of them being Tilikum, Ulises, Corky, ect.
4. You don't just die of old age. A death is always caused by something
......Image
. Image
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
There comes a moment
in all of our lives
when we stop wondering
and begin to believe

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
oceanmando

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby serl » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:37 am

zoos and aquariums are fine (in van to my concern but not the whales). but sea world is a disgrace. whales should not be kept in small tanks like they have. very sad. lots of them are ill and dead. these babes should not be in these tanks. tilikum is easily identified as very sick as his dorsal fin is tipped over.

watch blackfish.
╔═════════════╗

kaia/serl
she | paper rad#2431
hi i'm serl <3 my special interest is
cats! currently, i'm hyperfixating on the
idolm@ster, touhou, and chicken
smoothie! i'm a big rhythm game fan
and i frequent my local arcade! i also
really love music <3 my favorite
genres are happy hardcore, denpa,
classic rock, mashcore, & vocal trance!

╚═════════════╝
serl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby oceanmando » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:48 am

mirandaa wrote:
zoos and aquariums are fine (in van to my concern but not the whales). but sea world is a disgrace. whales should not be kept in small tanks like they have. very sad. lots of them are ill and dead. these babes should not be in these tanks. tilikum is easily identified as very sick as his dorsal fin is tipped over.

no offence, but seaworld makes me sick. and some of it's fans. but i am not aiming at anybody.

SeaWorld has the largest facilities in the world, and they're about to double in size.
It is true that 37 whales have died at SeaWorld, but almost all of them (less than 5) were from other aquariums.
A collapsed dorsal signifies time spent at the surface, not sickness. Its causes by a lack of water pressure. Because Tilly spends so much time at the surface of the water doing shows, training, feeding, and enrichment time with trainers, his dorsal is collapsed. And the previous place he was in kept him in a tiny box at night, and he had no room to dive or swim around.
......Image
. Image
There comes a moment
in all of our lives
when we stop wondering
and begin to believe

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
oceanmando

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Grimace » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:27 am

AmberJewel wrote:
mirandaa wrote:

no offence, but seaworld makes me sick. and some of it's fans. but i am not aiming at anybody.

SeaWorld has the largest facilities in the world, and they're about to double in size.
It is true that 37 whales have died at SeaWorld, but almost all of them (less than 5) were from other aquariums.
A collapsed dorsal signifies time spent at the surface, not sickness. Its causes by a lack of water pressure. Because Tilly spends so much time at the surface of the water doing shows, training, feeding, and enrichment time with trainers, his dorsal is collapsed. And the previous place he was in kept him in a tiny box at night, and he had no room to dive or swim around.

Having the biggest/best facilities in the world means nothing though. That doesn't mean anything.
Some animals just straight up can't be kept in captivity properly. Kind of like you could get 10 million dollars and lead zoologists, but you still couldnt keep a wandering albatross happy in captivity.
Grimace

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby serl » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:43 am

I agree with Grimace.

some animals should not be held captive.
I like the Van Aquarium. They save the dolphins that are sick, they added a new False Killer Whale recently, very cute.
They do release them once they aren't sick and could be in the wild. One time they brought a member of JPod in.
Back to what I was saying,
Seaworld's animals don't die of old age, they live up to 30 years when wild ones live up to 80, but for Granny so far 104.
╔═════════════╗

kaia/serl
she | paper rad#2431
hi i'm serl <3 my special interest is
cats! currently, i'm hyperfixating on the
idolm@ster, touhou, and chicken
smoothie! i'm a big rhythm game fan
and i frequent my local arcade! i also
really love music <3 my favorite
genres are happy hardcore, denpa,
classic rock, mashcore, & vocal trance!

╚═════════════╝