LOCK? DELETE? OLD Rabbit Owners- NEW LINK INSIDE

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat!

Postby Barron » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:32 pm

ZORAGON wrote:Well guys as much as I hate to do this...I am retiring from rabbit breeding. :cry: I have over 20 rabbits and soon to have more as I have 2 does expecting at the end of this month. No one is forcing me to give up rabbit breeding but my family is going through hard times so I need to spend my money on more important things. Breeding rabbits is just a hobby for me I don't do it for the money and I know for a fact I shove out more money then I make on my bunnies but I enjoy them. However I must sell them all and I will make sure they go to good homes many of them will go as breeders. But there is one thing good coming out of it my mother says that when all the rabbits are gone I can get another cat and I do love cats :clap: and plus 1 cat cost A LOT less then taking care of 20 plus rabbits. :roll:

But I will still be on here to give out rabbit advice to fellow rabbit owners and breeders :thumbup:

I'm sorry to hear that. I know you helped me a lot with my rabbits, and I do hope you stay around and help others that are getting started. I understand where your coming from though, I put a ton of money into my rabbits and don't make much on my babies. I'm not in it for the money either though, I just love Holland Lops. I'm glad to hear you'll be able to get another cat though, that's very exciting XD

To me, horses and freedom are synonymous.

Barron 1986~2016
Barron

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FlynnEugene » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:56 am

my bunny waffles is driving me crazy... She really is. Waffles is a 3 month old mini lop. She is the sweetest thing ever, but I'm having issues with her and her litter box. I am not having issues with the training, I am having issues with her. So, I bought one of those litter boxes that are kind of triangle shaped, and they have a wire pan thing to put over it so the bunny doesn't eat their poop, or step in it or anything. Well, waffles will 1.) knock the litter box over and get it EVERYWHERE including on herself. Or 2.) think she is sitting in it ( she is) but her butt isn't and she pees in her cage, then hops out and gets it all over herself. And I mean she will roll in it, so I have had to bath her. ( don't worry she actually likes baths. They don't scare her and I use the proper products so don't talk to me about bathing her please)
So I changed her litter box to a bigger one, with no top part. She seems to like it better, but she is still getting really messy. I'm not too sure what to do, can someone help please.

ℂ𝕦𝕟𝕟𝕚𝕟𝕘

𝔸𝕞𝕓𝕚𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕦𝕤

ℝ𝕖𝕤𝕠𝕦𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕗𝕦𝕝𝕟𝕖𝕤𝕤

𝕊𝕙𝕣𝕖𝕨𝕕

𝔻𝕖𝕥𝕖𝕣𝕞𝕚𝕟𝕖𝕕

"𝒲𝑒 𝒮𝓁𝓎𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇𝒾𝓃𝓈 𝒶𝓇𝑒 𝒷𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒, 𝓎𝑒𝓈, 𝒷𝓊𝓉 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝓈𝓉𝓊𝓅𝒾𝒹. 𝐹𝑜𝓇 𝒾𝓃𝓈𝓉𝒶𝓃𝒸𝑒, 𝑔𝒾𝓋𝑒𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒸𝒽𝑜𝒾𝒸𝑒, 𝓌𝑒 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝒶𝓁𝓌𝒶𝓎𝓈 𝒸𝒽𝑜𝑜𝓈𝑒 𝓉𝑜 𝓈𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝑜𝓊𝓇 𝑜𝓌𝓃 𝓃𝑒𝒸𝓀𝓈."
FlynnEugene

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ZORAGON » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:11 pm

Barron wrote:
ZORAGON wrote:Well guys as much as I hate to do this...I am retiring from rabbit breeding. :cry: I have over 20 rabbits and soon to have more as I have 2 does expecting at the end of this month. No one is forcing me to give up rabbit breeding but my family is going through hard times so I need to spend my money on more important things. Breeding rabbits is just a hobby for me I don't do it for the money and I know for a fact I shove out more money then I make on my bunnies but I enjoy them. However I must sell them all and I will make sure they go to good homes many of them will go as breeders. But there is one thing good coming out of it my mother says that when all the rabbits are gone I can get another cat and I do love cats :clap: and plus 1 cat cost A LOT less then taking care of 20 plus rabbits. :roll:

But I will still be on here to give out rabbit advice to fellow rabbit owners and breeders :thumbup:

I'm sorry to hear that. I know you helped me a lot with my rabbits, and I do hope you stay around and help others that are getting started. I understand where your coming from though, I put a ton of money into my rabbits and don't make much on my babies. I'm not in it for the money either though, I just love Holland Lops. I'm glad to hear you'll be able to get another cat though, that's very exciting XD

Thanks that means alot :D I sold 8 rabbits and some cages today to a very rich couple who just began breeding rabbits. They told me that the rabbits will be going in a large barn with Air Conditioner. I'm sure they are going to a good home where they will be cared for. :D I still have over 20 rabbits to find homes for though...
ZORAGON

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Onew~ » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:21 pm

SVU~freak wrote:
my bunny waffles is driving me crazy... She really is. Waffles is a 3 month old mini lop. She is the sweetest thing ever, but I'm having issues with her and her litter box. I am not having issues with the training, I am having issues with her. So, I bought one of those litter boxes that are kind of triangle shaped, and they have a wire pan thing to put over it so the bunny doesn't eat their poop, or step in it or anything. Well, waffles will 1.) knock the litter box over and get it EVERYWHERE including on herself. Or 2.) think she is sitting in it ( she is) but her butt isn't and she pees in her cage, then hops out and gets it all over herself. And I mean she will roll in it, so I have had to bath her. ( don't worry she actually likes baths. They don't scare her and I use the proper products so don't talk to me about bathing her please)
So I changed her litter box to a bigger one, with no top part. She seems to like it better, but she is still getting really messy. I'm not too sure what to do, can someone help please.

Yeah, don't use those "corner boxes". I hear of a bunch of bun owners saying they work horrible and they complain about what is EXACTLY happening to you right now, most of those boxes are too small, anyways. Your rabbit should be able to lay down in her litter box(for size matters, or slightly smaller), but because she is young she will obviously grow, you'll probably want to get a bigger one than that unless you just want to upgrade litterboxes later on.

Image image source

Something the size of that. Even if your rabbit is a digger, you can always add a "litter screen" (includes pictures and other ideas too).

Make sure your bunny's litterbox is never really soiled and doesn't have a bad or strong ammonia scent to you. I would say it could be hormones, but hormones are a bit too early in a 3 month old bunny(it's usually 4-6 months).

Oh, and with the knocking the litterbox over, you can always get zipties, cut a hole in the litterbox, and tie it down.
Onew~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Clowesia » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:31 pm

So, last week I went to see a rabbit I had seen online
A fawn giant flemish boy ;u ;
There were two, and one of them had been sprayed on and the owner was freaking out thinking I'd think it was blood "it's not blood I assure you!"
I ended up going with the lighter or the two!
(The one that had been sprayed on, of course rofl)
Cost me $50 but so worth it~
I go to pick him up next week!
They were only 5-6 weeks when I saw them and they were already the same size, if not bigger, than a dwarf bun~
So excited, naming it after my favourite comic book character, Dog. :3

This is him 8D

You are my Senpai
    My only Senpai
    You give me dokis
    When seas are grey
    You'll never notice me
    But I still love you
    You're sugoi, kawaii desu ne~♥
Clowesia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Onew~ » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:54 pm

Clowesia wrote:
So, last week I went to see a rabbit I had seen online
A fawn giant flemish boy ;u ;
There were two, and one of them had been sprayed on and the owner was freaking out thinking I'd think it was blood "it's not blood I assure you!"
I ended up going with the lighter or the two!
(The one that had been sprayed on, of course rofl)
Cost me $50 but so worth it~
I go to pick him up next week!
They were only 5-6 weeks when I saw them and they were already the same size, if not bigger, than a dwarf bun~
So excited, naming it after my favourite comic book character, Dog. :3

This is him 8D

Oh my gosh, he's going to be the fuzziest, fluffiest, softest thing to touch ever! ;O;
Onew~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FlynnEugene » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:40 pm

Onew~ wrote:
SVU~freak wrote:

Yeah, don't use those "corner boxes". I hear of a bunch of bun owners saying they work horrible and they complain about what is EXACTLY happening to you right now, most of those boxes are too small, anyways. Your rabbit should be able to lay down in her litter box(for size matters, or slightly smaller), but because she is young she will obviously grow, you'll probably want to get a bigger one than that unless you just want to upgrade litterboxes later on.

Image image source

Something the size of that. Even if your rabbit is a digger, you can always add a "litter screen" (includes pictures and other ideas too).

Make sure your bunny's litterbox is never really soiled and doesn't have a bad or strong ammonia scent to you. I would say it could be hormones, but hormones are a bit too early in a 3 month old bunny(it's usually 4-6 months).

Oh, and with the knocking the litterbox over, you can always get zipties, cut a hole in the litterbox, and tie it down.

What kind of litter is the best to use? I have tried the clay based one, and I hated it!!! Then I tried some other one, didn't like it either. What type of litter would you recommend?

And I just bought her a litter box that size :)

ℂ𝕦𝕟𝕟𝕚𝕟𝕘

𝔸𝕞𝕓𝕚𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕦𝕤

ℝ𝕖𝕤𝕠𝕦𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕗𝕦𝕝𝕟𝕖𝕤𝕤

𝕊𝕙𝕣𝕖𝕨𝕕

𝔻𝕖𝕥𝕖𝕣𝕞𝕚𝕟𝕖𝕕

"𝒲𝑒 𝒮𝓁𝓎𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇𝒾𝓃𝓈 𝒶𝓇𝑒 𝒷𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒, 𝓎𝑒𝓈, 𝒷𝓊𝓉 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝓈𝓉𝓊𝓅𝒾𝒹. 𝐹𝑜𝓇 𝒾𝓃𝓈𝓉𝒶𝓃𝒸𝑒, 𝑔𝒾𝓋𝑒𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒸𝒽𝑜𝒾𝒸𝑒, 𝓌𝑒 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝒶𝓁𝓌𝒶𝓎𝓈 𝒸𝒽𝑜𝑜𝓈𝑒 𝓉𝑜 𝓈𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝑜𝓊𝓇 𝑜𝓌𝓃 𝓃𝑒𝒸𝓀𝓈."
FlynnEugene

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Onew~ » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:22 pm

SVU~freak wrote:
Onew~ wrote:
SVU~freak wrote:

Image image source

What kind of litter is the best to use? I have tried the clay based one, and I hated it!!! Then I tried some other one, didn't like it either. What type of litter would you recommend?

And I just bought her a litter box that size :)

Yes, never use clay litters or clumping litters - they are typically very dusty(can easily cause respiratory issues) and can be fatal if your bunny nibbles on them. Don't use pine/aspen/cedar shavings, either, if your bunny nibbles on them it can be bad, plus they have bad phenols in them. c:

Carefresh is a good litter but it may be a little bit expensive.

Yesterday's News is very popular around rabbit owners - I hear it is very absorbent, good with smell, etc. But unfortunately I couldn't find it around here and didn't want to go an extra ten minutes(it already takes 30 min to get into town) to a petstore where I could find it(so i've never tried it)

Your cheapest choice is probably compressed woodstove pellets like this. I used this for my bun's box. They're typically aspen, and as said before, contain phenols -- but, during the compressing process, these harmful phenols/gases are removed, and are therefore safe for your bunny(even for her if she nibbles out of curiosity). These pellets are also made in cat litter and large 30 pound bags(or at least in my area), but they're basically fuel pellets, and you can probably find them in the barbecue area of your store, just make sure they're only compressed pellets. When urinated on, the pellets turn into sawdust. Very good absorbency, okay odor control. ouo
Onew~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FlynnEugene » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:26 pm

Alright, I will look for some of that. I think right now I am trying the cedar stuff.... But I'll try and buy some other type.

ℂ𝕦𝕟𝕟𝕚𝕟𝕘

𝔸𝕞𝕓𝕚𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕦𝕤

ℝ𝕖𝕤𝕠𝕦𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕗𝕦𝕝𝕟𝕖𝕤𝕤

𝕊𝕙𝕣𝕖𝕨𝕕

𝔻𝕖𝕥𝕖𝕣𝕞𝕚𝕟𝕖𝕕

FlynnEugene

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rosalind » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:50 pm

I use the Carefresh for my bunny, and it is a bit pricey but super absorbent; I'm very happy with it. I don't have an area for a big litter box like that as my bubba has a cage and then gets play time, but changing the wood chips was always a big hassel for me.

Hi there, I'm Rosalind!
I used to be a General Helper
so if you are looking for any help send in a help ticket. CS's amazing team will help you!
I'm not very active anymore, although I occasionally pop on so replies to PMs and trades could be slow.

[Character Thread] [Fursona Thread]

ImageImageImageImageImage
Rosalind

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me