mods please close

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: SeaWorld and Marine Mammal Captivity

Postby Ginger~ » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:50 am

Also, if you support Seaworld, you also support other facilities they are associated with. Such as...

Mundo Marino. SeaWorld pays Mundo Marino to keep this beautiful orca in one of the most, if not the most deplorable conditions. Why? Because SeaWorld pays for Kshamenk‘s sperm. To capture him, Mundo Marino forced his family - deliberately- to strand/beach themselves. Mundo marino waited a little while then came in and pretended to rescue them. They let one go, and took the rest. All died soon after, leaving Kshamenk alone.

Seaworld also has bought dolphins from the dolphin drives in Taiji, Japan. (ever seen The Cove?)
G i n g e r ~

Hiya! I'm a teenage girl from the US. I'm pretty upbeat, and a complete nerd. I keep fish and a box turtle. I roleplay fairly often, and write, too!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ginger~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby oceanmando » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:17 am

Ginger~ wrote:Also, if you support Seaworld, you also support other facilities they are associated with. Such as...

Mundo Marino. SeaWorld pays Mundo Marino to keep this beautiful orca in one of the most, if not the most deplorable conditions. Why? Because SeaWorld pays for Kshamenk‘s sperm. To capture him, Mundo Marino forced his family - deliberately- to strand/beach themselves. Mundo marino waited a little while then came in and pretended to rescue them. They let one go, and took the rest. All died soon after, leaving Kshamenk alone.

Seaworld also has bought dolphins from the dolphin drives in Taiji, Japan. (ever seen The Cove?)

I know that SeaWorld has not bought dolphins from Japan. They're AZA accredited... you can't get that if you have Japan dolphins.
......Image
. Image
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
There comes a moment
in all of our lives
when we stop wondering
and begin to believe

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
oceanmando

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ginger~ » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:21 am

Very sorry, I believe they used to source their animals from dolphin drives but don't anymore.

However, Seaworld...

1) Still refuses to criticize facilities that buy animals from Taiji

2) Has taken or plans to take any direct action against the hunts themselves

(source)
G i n g e r ~

Hiya! I'm a teenage girl from the US. I'm pretty upbeat, and a complete nerd. I keep fish and a box turtle. I roleplay fairly often, and write, too!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ginger~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby raeganangel » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:27 am

Um, well, I don't want to get in a huge argument about this, but seaworld does seperate the families and I think that's sad...

source: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsan ... er-whales/
DragoncaveImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ςlเςк קlєครє!^^ ק๓ ๓є เŦ א๏ย ςlเςк,єคςђ ๏ภє คภ๔ เ'll ﻮเשє א๏ย ค קєt ๏г เtє๓ ๏ภ א๏ยг ฬเรђlเรt.
нι! ιм яαєgαиαиgєℓ! ι ∂σит υѕυαℓℓу яρ σи ѕυи∂αуѕ. ѕ¢нσσℓ ιѕ ѕтαятιиg fσя мє, ѕσ ι ωσит вє σи мυ¢н. ι нανє α тσи σf нσмєωσяк, ѕσ ι мιgнт вє вυѕу! ι ℓσνє ∂σ¢тσя ωнσ, тнє ѕєℓє¢тισи ѕєяιєѕ, ρєя¢у נα¢кѕσи αи∂ тнє σℓумριαиѕ, тнє нυиgєя gαмєѕ, нαяяу ρσттєя, ωαяяισя ¢αтѕ, αи∂ σи¢є υρσи α тιмє. ρм мє ιf уσυ нανє αи яρ ι мιgнт ℓιкє, σя ιf уσυ ωαит тσ ∂σ α 1χ1.
raeganangel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby What. » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:36 am

Ok, what some people need to realize is yes, these animals are in captivity, but that doesnt mean they arent 'happy' and they're 'bored' most of the animals seaworld has, were injured in the wild and rehabilitated.Due to the fact it takes so long for the injury to be fixed, they often cant be put back into the wild. And with all the problems like people hunting orcas in the wild, shortages of fish, they actually do live longer and healther at seaworld.Yes i support seaworld however i am aware that other companies do not have the same values of seaworld and do capture and force these animals into un-sutable habitats.Just because these people do, doesnt mean seaworld needs to deal with them.
What.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby NopesaurusRexx » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:00 pm

Taylorthehater wrote:Ok, what some people need to realize is yes, these animals are in captivity, but that doesnt mean they arent 'happy' and they're 'bored' most of the animals seaworld has, were injured in the wild and rehabilitated.Due to the fact it takes so long for the injury to be fixed, they often cant be put back into the wild. And with all the problems like people hunting orcas in the wild, shortages of fish, they actually do live longer and healther at seaworld.Yes i support seaworld however i am aware that other companies do not have the same values of seaworld and do capture and force these animals into un-sutable habitats.Just because these people do, doesnt mean seaworld needs to deal with them.

I'm pretty much on the same page as you. I do not support animals being taken out of the wild to be placed in captivity unless it's for medical rescue reasons, there are many stories of animals living fulfilling lives in captivity after being seriously injured. While there is many things about SeaWorld that could be improved, like the amount of space provided, they cannot and should not be able to release the orcas that were born in captivity. Because they were born in captivity, some of their natural instincts are gone and they will not be able to survive. Captivity is all they know and therefore, as long as they are provided with good care and space, they will be comfortable with where they are.

"You wanna make yourself useful?"
"Not particularly."

ALL PETS IN THE GROUPS MARKED TRADE GROUP ARE CURRENTLY FREE
NopesaurusRexx

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Animemice » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:48 am

I'm not against SeaWorld. The whales don't live as long in captivity, but remember that most of these guys were injured in the wild and SeaWorld rescued them. How do we know that their not happy? Sure, listen to what Peta has to say about SeaWorld, we don't even know if it's true. Besides, how come SeaWorld is bad and other aquariums aren't? Why do you give SeaWorld so much hate when other aquariums might be just as bad?

Ginger~ wrote:Also, if you support Seaworld, you also support other facilities they are associated with. Such as...

Just because I support SeaWorld doesn't mean I support Mundo Marino. Though that's horrible, how do we know exactly if SeaWorld pays for them to keep the orca?
Hi! I'm Animemice, but you can call me Mouse. I love horses and ride them in my spare time. I also love dogs! I love to read and write, and want to be an author someday! If you need a hug or just want to chat feel free to PM me, I promise I will reply <3
Animemice

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby interestingword » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:08 am

Having read through this thread, I've seen good points on both sides. Yes, Seaworld does take in injured animals to take care of, offering longer lifespans than the open ocean could. However, there's many things they don't do well, such as tank size. Here's what I can add on the subject.

First thing I can think of is the fireworks show. While it doesn't seem to occur daily, closer to once a week, it must be indescribably stressful! Considering they use echolocation to hunt, and so are extremely sensitive to noise, it's got to be terrifying for big explosions of light and sound going on above their heads.
-
The oldest known Killer whale is 103. The average lifespan for a Seaworld orca? About 9.
-
Many, if not all their orcas, exhibit injury. Ranging in severity from scars on their hide to full bite wounds, this is from being forced to spend 24/7 with their adopted pod. Since they cannot go and sulk in their own personal space, they're forced to attack, and several orcas have died from the stress and fighting. It's worth noting that this is rare, though.
-
Floppy dorsal fins. While not a sign of impending doom or anything of the like, it is a sign of either stress, age, or improper temperatures. It's found in the wild as well, mainly in elderly or sick individuals. What keeps the fin upright? Water pressure. These animals dive fairly deep (not incredibly deep tho), and the depth and pressure encourages the fin to stay upright. Excessively spending time at the surface or in shallow waters will cause the onset of this. A large amount of Seaworld killer whales exhibit floppy dorsal fins.
-
Tank size is the largest concern, and indeed it should be. In the wild, they do naturally swim between 75-100 miles per day. To translate that into tank terms, that's over one thousand laps around their concrete habitat, and an underwater treadmill isn't going to solve this problem.
-
Ever since it became illegal to collect wild orcas, Seaworld has been inbreeding their killer whales, leading to unhealthy and rarely alive calves. The few that do make it are removed from their mother at a young age in order to be trained for shows.

That's what I know for certain, anyway. Carry on.

actual birb

always happy to trade!

certified ttrpg enjoyer
ask me about GAMES
interestingword

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LUVR » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:11 pm

interestingword wrote: First thing I can think of is the fireworks show. While it doesn't seem to occur daily, closer to once a week, it must be indescribably stressful! Considering they use echolocation to hunt, and so are extremely sensitive to noise, it's got to be terrifying for big explosions of light and sound going on above their heads.
-
The oldest known Killer whale is 103. The average lifespan for a Seaworld orca? About 9.
-
Ever since it became illegal to collect wild orcas, Seaworld has been inbreeding their killer whales, leading to unhealthy and rarely alive calves. The few that do make it are removed from their mother at a young age in order to be trained for shows.

1. I don't understand why you're only bashing SeaWorld for their firework show. They're definitely not the only ones to blame. In fact, if you've ever done fireworks, you're just a guilty as them. Noise does not travel through water, so the whales do not hear the fireworks.

2. We have no proof that Granny is 103. When Granny and Ruffles were captured, it was assumed that Ruffles was Granny's son. (Later DNA tests proved that Granny is not Ruffle's mother. ) Therefore, Grabby was estimated to be about 50-60 years old. But since we know that that was not true, Granny could be anywhere from 60-90 years old, more then likely not over 100.

3. There is only one case of inbreeding and that was done completely by the whales naturally. SeaWorld has never AI'ed two related killer whales.

research before you speak.
゚・:*。 𝓛 。*:・゚

she/her | 20 | scorpio

"let me go, you can't hold on 2 a ghost."

゚・:*。 ☆ 。*:・゚
LUVR

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Transkitty » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:13 am

There is an inbred orca living at Seaworld currently. Her name is Nalani, and her father is also her brother. Just because Seaworld did not AI her mother does not excuse the fact that the mating happened. In the wild, orcas will travel away from their pods to mate, but in captivity they cannot do so. Therefore, Seaworld is still responsible for the inbred whales they have. I'll also leave this here.

Also, orcas communicate with one another through sound, as do most whale and dolphin species. There have also been cases of whales and dolphins beaching themselves after sonar tests. Saying that noise does not travel through water is dead wrong, and they definitely can hear the fireworks.

Now as for Granny's age, I'll just leave this here:
Click.
Maybe don't be so quick to accuse others of not doing any research when your statements are so easily proven wrong.
Transkitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me