Dog Owner Chat v3 ~Open!~

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dawg Owner Chat v3 ~Open!~

Postby Imzadi83 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:18 pm

Thinking Out Loud wrote:Help!
I'm a new puppy owner and my 11 week old border colliex bites hard. Its not just mouthing all the time, but when she gets playful, she gets to excited and bites, its not just missing her toy, she actually goes for me and bites my arms, legs, knees, hands, toes and anywhere in between, we've never been encouraging it like saying 'awww how cute' when she gently bites our fingers or something. Its getting stupidly hard and very annoying! We've tried the 'Ow' thing to try to stop it but it only makes her bark and shes usually a very quiet dog. We've also tried the leaving the hand or arm or whatever limp until shes bored of it (I didn't think this was a good idea but we'll try anything now) she didn't get bored and I felt it was only encouraging the action. We've also tried just shoving a toy into her mouth but she always comes back next time as strong as ever, please if anyone has any tips we're really in need!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c77--cCHPyU Here's a video on the subject. Make sure to stop playing with you puppy when she bites so she learns that biting=the fun stops. You have to be consistent and it will take time for her to catch on. Try a variety of toys. Make sure you provide her with chew toys, chewies, etc. Puppies teeth just like human infants and need something to chew on. You may have to try several until you find what she likes, and/or trying making them more appealing by smearing something tasty on them like peanut butter.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Claw. » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:52 am

I'm a new puppy owner and my 11 week old border colliex bites hard. Its not just mouthing all the time, but when she gets playful, she gets to excited and bites, its not just missing her toy, she actually goes for me and bites my arms, legs, knees, hands, toes and anywhere in between, we've never been encouraging it like saying 'awww how cute' when she gently bites our fingers or something. Its getting stupidly hard and very annoying! We've tried the 'Ow' thing to try to stop it but it only makes her bark and shes usually a very quiet dog. We've also tried the leaving the hand or arm or whatever limp until shes bored of it (I didn't think this was a good idea but we'll try anything now) she didn't get bored and I felt it was only encouraging the action. We've also tried just shoving a toy into her mouth but she always comes back next time as strong as ever, please if anyone has any tips we're really in need!

My cousins puppy, Lexi, is a lot like that, i found a way to stop her biting for the moment, i'm not sure if this sounds a bit silly but when they bite you whine like a dog so that they know that they've hurt you, then put them in a place alone and don't continue playing until they've fullly calmed down a full ten minuets at least. I whine when Lexi bites me and she sniffs me and licks me to make sure i'm okay, but since she's not my dog and there are a lot of children and spoily adults around it's hard to do the 'leave her alone' thing.
╔═════════════════════╗

Hi I'm Claw!
She/her pronouns
This sig is a w.i.p

xxx xxx xxx

╚═════════════════════╝
Claw.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Maisy and me » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:13 am

Claw. wrote:

My cousins puppy, Lexi, is a lot like that, i found a way to stop her biting for the moment, i'm not sure if this sounds a bit silly but when they bite you whine like a dog so that they know that they've hurt you, then put them in a place alone and don't continue playing until they've fullly calmed down a full ten minuets at least. I whine when Lexi bites me and she sniffs me and licks me to make sure i'm okay, but since she's not my dog and there are a lot of children and spoily adults around it's hard to do the 'leave her alone' thing.
Thank you for the tip but that's what makes her bark, I think she gets confused at the sound of another puppy (sorta) and begins to bark, but at the moment I think we will try a stern no then leave her alone,

Imzadi83 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c77--cCHPyU Here's a video on the subject. Make sure to stop playing with you puppy when she bites so she learns that biting=the fun stops. You have to be consistent and it will take time for her to catch on. Try a variety of toys. Make sure you provide her with chew toys, chewies, etc. Puppies teeth just like human infants and need something to chew on. You may have to try several until you find what she likes, and/or trying making them more appealing by smearing something tasty on them like peanut butter.
thank you again for the tip and video, I think it'll be useful! At the moment she's being a sweet sleeping angel, but my mum is having a meeting here where a lot of mums will be bringing toddlers and babies, I'm a bit worried about how she will react but I won't be taking my eyes off her and will be keeping her close at all times, but she needs to learn to be gentle with small children anyway, hopefully it's not to early though.
Hakuna Matata
Maisy and me

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bark! » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:14 pm

So a little while ago, our neighbors got a AKC boxer. He was perfectly healthy, Fawn in color, and as sweet as could be... Until they chained it up outside and left it to starve. The dog died of starvation a few weeks later. We called the local vet's office, animal control, local home-run shelters... but they wouldn't do anything to help the animal. They went a few weeks without any pets, besides the small dog inside, which they take seemingly great care of. Well, now they've got a weimaraner, Looks to be pure-blooded as well.... and he's slowly starving too. The dog broke it's stake today and came down to our house. It swear, it's one of the saddest sights, but yet the poor animal continues to be really sweet. It doesn't bark, it doesn't jump, only wants to shower everyone in licks and whines. We fed it some, as much as we could before they took it back up to their house and tied it again. We've called tons of different people, but yet noone seems to care. I have no clue what to do, seeing as I would take the dog up in a heartbeat, however we don't have room for another dog in our home. Any tips? advice? I feel horrible for not being able to do anything for the poor bby </3
𝐘𝐎𝐔'𝐋𝐋 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋 𝐁𝐄𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐎𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐑𝐎𝐖!
------- exo - adult - usa - gamer - artist -------
bark!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby wolfgirl2011 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:44 pm

Personally, I would try getting her a little more exercise. I know that not everyone has the luxury of going for hour long walks/runs and playing with their dog for hours a day-I certainly don't. However, because she's a puppy she will need more exercise to wear her down. If that doesn't work I would definitely encourage her to chew on the right things like bones, toys, etc. If it's getting to the point that none of that works, you could put some detterant on your hands/clothing. Usually vinegar or bitter apple spray works-they don't like the taste of it.

Becasue she is a Border Collie mix she may be trying to herd you. Generally those breeds are more mouthy than other breeds because of their herding instinct. Try giving her a job, like pulling a small cart and when she's old enough, agility, that will keep her brain stimulated and will make her feel like she has something to do. It will also tire her out.
Dreamies: Blue Rose Dog, Red Rose Dog, Rose PPS, Plains Zebra
Image Image
wolfgirl2011

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .muse. » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:16 pm

Last edited by .muse. on Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image ~*~ Muse ~ They/Them ~ Adult ~ Nerd ~*~ Image
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
.muse.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cardinal » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:28 pm

F l y - F r e e wrote:
So a little while ago, our neighbors got a AKC boxer. He was perfectly healthy, Fawn in color, and as sweet as could be... Until they chained it up outside and left it to starve. The dog died of starvation a few weeks later. We called the local vet's office, animal control, local home-run shelters... but they wouldn't do anything to help the animal. They went a few weeks without any pets, besides the small dog inside, which they take seemingly great care of. Well, now they've got a weimaraner, Looks to be pure-blooded as well.... and he's slowly starving too. The dog broke it's stake today and came down to our house. It swear, it's one of the saddest sights, but yet the poor animal continues to be really sweet. It doesn't bark, it doesn't jump, only wants to shower everyone in licks and whines. We fed it some, as much as we could before they took it back up to their house and tied it again. We've called tons of different people, but yet noone seems to care. I have no clue what to do, seeing as I would take the dog up in a heartbeat, however we don't have room for another dog in our home. Any tips? advice? I feel horrible for not being able to do anything for the poor bby </3

I'd take photographic evidence and start emailing local rescues and animal control with the photo's.
Honey, it's in the stars
And you're my everything from here to Mars
And every word I say I truly mean
Dear darling, I hope I'm being clear
'Cause there's no one like you on earth
That can be my universe

Cardinal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cardinal » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:27 pm

Cardinal wrote:
F l y - F r e e wrote:

I'd take photographic evidence and start emailing local rescues and animal control with the photo's.

@Edit: I feel like Juniper has gotten so out of shape. We really haven't done ANYTHING the last month or so. Very little walking and little play outside, its rained/stormed nearly every day and I have a horrible lightening phobia. Hoping drier days are on the horizon so we can get out and DO STUFF other than hang out in the yard. Blarg.

The muscle over her ribs is pretty much gone and her shoulders and butt are suffering. :/

Edit.. edit?: Blarg, meant to add on and not quote myself like a doofus. Dx
Honey, it's in the stars
And you're my everything from here to Mars
And every word I say I truly mean
Dear darling, I hope I'm being clear
'Cause there's no one like you on earth
That can be my universe

Cardinal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AthenaDawg » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:28 pm

My cousins dog got put down today ;.;

AthenaDawg

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:07 pm

My dog is officially a brat. He takes his pain meds (beef flavored) like a champ, but fights like crazy about taking his antibiotic!

I went out there today (after being bent over a table making shoes for 6 1/2 hrs) and cornered him with the fence, and the little brat acted like I was murdering him! My poor back was already hurting (from both the bending over the table, and from sleeping on a couch for a month) and the goofball dog knocked me back into the fence.

I managed to corner him again and at that point I was fed up with trying to be nice, so I opened his jaws and shoved my hand down there to drop the pill at the back of his throat.

After I make him swallow it, he takes off to go eat, stops about 5 ft away from me and barks at me before turning and going into the back shop to get fed. He's such a brat lol
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me