Dog Owner Chat v3 ~Open!~

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dawg Owner Chat v3 ~Open!~

Postby Uchuujin » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:47 am

For those of you who've lost your doggies - what did you do with all their collars/scarves/clothes and stuff? Did you keep them? Donate them? Do something creative with them?

This week my 3 babies went down to 2. My 17 year old dog was showing all the symptoms of cancer and she was too old for the vets to really do anything about it, so we decided to put her down. I know it's still really soon but I'm trying to figure out what to do with all of her stuff, because it's upsetting me just to see it all lying around the house ; _ ; I need to decide whether to pack everything up and store it away/give it away or to do something else with it all.

I've never had a dog die because up until we got her we only ever fostered. We'd go through like a dozen dogs a year but never really saw any of them get old or sick. So these feelings are all so weird for me oTL

┏━━━━━━Image━━━━━━┓
Curently...
reading ★ No Stone Unturned
playing ★ Overwatch 2
watching ★ Tokyo Revengers
feeling ★ anxious
═══════════════════
about me || my characters
┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛
Uchuujin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:51 am

Took Chewie to the vet at noon and my sweet boy did fairly well! I mean he freaked in the car and decided he was a lap dog (hence the picture lol) and tried to eat a ton of people who were outside the car, but he did good in the vet!

I had to carry him in due to this rude old man who wouldn't move away from our car. (Then started bad mouthing Chewie to my mom.) He did fine in the vet room, barked at them a bit of course, but didn't continue trying to go after them or have a total melt down. Got his ear shaved and they cleaned it out, then sent us home with antibiotics and pain meds for the monster.

Now we are trying to hunt down the dog that attacked him to report them and hopefully make them pay the vet bill since their off leash dog attacked my two that were leashed.

Chew is down to one pound over his goal weight! Looking at him though, I think his goal was still a bit high. So I'm gonna have to decide if I want to bring him down another couple pounds or just leave it.
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby fairytale. » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:57 am

I kept the collar from one of my dogs, and then the tags on her tag "necklace" from another one of our dogs. I feel like the collar/tags are very symbolic. I also kept one of our dog's favorite toys and passed it on to my dog when I got him.
fairytale.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Angelus Gaston » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:57 am

I know what your going through it will be a week tomorrow since I had my boy Axel PTS after he became ill and it still hurts I havnt gone through one day with out crying.

I have his collar and lead hung up as they use to belong to my old GSD Sam I just cant bare to get rid of them.

I think its going to take along time to heal the wounds left and they will never fully heal but if you have things to remember them by it can help.

CharsArt WantedTradescredit
╔══════════════════════╗
We would do something
Sarcastic and witty with this but
We cant be bothered. We go by
Angelus One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh lover

╚══════════════════════╝
Angelus Gaston

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Day Of Silence » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:18 am

@Uchuujin
I am sorry for your loss.

@fallen.infinity
I don't think I'm allowed to vote twice, but good luck with whatever name you may choose!

@.Middy.
Glad to hear Chewy did good! He's such a handsome boy.

So my dad borrowed my friends scooter (the ones with motors), and we went to town to pick up some hamburger and meat bones (the later being for the dog). Apparently jut as we left, Epic slipped through the door and chased us down to the busy road. My two sisters chased her down till she finally turned back to them put a leash on her. It scarred me thinking about my dog on that road. We really need to work on recall and staying at the door (which she's been fairly good at, although I've never gone further then a few feet away when asking her to stay).
She loves the meat bone I gave her, and I really want to get to feeding her raw. There's a lady in town that makes raw dog food, but we're not entirely sure what she puts in it and we think we can do it cheaper by buying and preparing the stuff ourselves ( though more time).
Hopefully soon I can take over my mom's freezer with meat, organs and bones.

For those who feed raw, do you think it would work to (when we get there) feed epic some of the leftovers from vegetable and fruit juicing? It would be pureed but lack some of the juices.
Day Of Silence

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:58 am

Uchuujin wrote:For those of you who've lost your doggies - what did you do with all their collars/scarves/clothes and stuff? Did you keep them? Donate them? Do something creative with them?

This week my 3 babies went down to 2. My 17 year old dog was showing all the symptoms of cancer and she was too old for the vets to really do anything about it, so we decided to put her down. I know it's still really soon but I'm trying to figure out what to do with all of her stuff, because it's upsetting me just to see it all lying around the house ; _ ; I need to decide whether to pack everything up and store it away/give it away or to do something else with it all.

I've never had a dog die because up until we got her we only ever fostered. We'd go through like a dozen dogs a year but never really saw any of them get old or sick. So these feelings are all so weird for me oTL

We have a lot of Gumdrops stuff packed away. Some we donated, some we gave away on Freecycle. We went through the stuff not long ago looking for anything we could reuse for Chloe, which wasn't much, and got rid of a couple more things. Do what feels right for you. If you can't part with anything, or a lot, don't feel bad about it. If it's painful to deal with it now, pack things away and deal with it later.

I'm sorry for the loss of your dog.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Haagen-Daagen » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:09 pm

We buried Reno with his collar(He always acted upset when we took it off. It was as if he knew dogs with collars had families and strays didn't..) and his big kicker ball, because that was always his favorite toy and it just wouldn't have felt right to have the other dogs playing with it. We still have his patrol work harness, and my dad still has his hat from when Reno was his partner sitting on his dashboard in his truck. It's been almost three years since we lost our boy but it still feels like just yesterday he was running around the yard, watching everybody from the comfort of his bed, and making sure everyone in the room got his attention.(:

We still have Sally's license, and just reading the information on it always brings me a smile. My baby girl passed a few months before Reno did, at about fifteen. Her passing was easier for us to deal with, just because she was so much older than him and we had time to accept that her time was coming. Reno's loss took us all by surprise, as he had been so lively the day before. Save for some achy joints, and a bit of weight loss, he seemed perfectly normal.

Biscuit is about seventeen now(her birthday is uncertain) but she is still kicking. She has some weak hips and arthritis, and we are trying to get her weight to stabilize. She has had some trouble losing weight in the past, but recently she has lost weight. She's due for a vet visit, but at the moment she seems to be doing fine save for that and we aren't in any hurry.

Do you own characters designed by me? (old username is 4dogowner) PM me! I'd love to draw art of some of my older designs, free of charge. <3
Toyhou.se
"Being courageous isn't the same as being fearless; it is doing what's right even when you're scared to death."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds."
"You are never a failure until you begin blaming your mistakes on someone else."
"Joy is a fully loaded magazine and a puppy."
Haagen-Daagen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Temper » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:23 pm

fairytale,
I hope the litter works out for you! I've been feeling the same way, sort of.
I thought I found the PERFECT dog. He was three years old, advanced obedience titled, and titled in conformation. The owner wanted to re-home him because she realized four dogs were too much for her. (This lady was recommended by a silken breeder- they're all on the look out for older dogs for us!) I talked on the phone with her for a few hours. We thought he was the one, but she finally decided she couldn't bear to part with him. She does have a 21 month old who she can part with, but we're looking in to him because she hadn't really trained him and I need a dog that is biddable. If he isn't, then my search will continue.

.......... Image Krasivi Collies
...........Image Krasivi Trotters
...........Image Krasivi Euphorians
...........Image Krasivi Wolfhounds
...........Image Lone Bashkir Curlies
...........Image Andaluz Sport Horses

....................Image
Temper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Haagen-Daagen » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:06 pm

Huge photo dump of all four of the pups! If quoting please snip out any photos that you aren't directly replying to. C:

Eva takes such nice pictures! I did a short photoshoot with my goober girlie. Unfortunately gnats kept getting in her face because I made the mistake of doing it right as the sun was getting ready to set. XD
Image Image Image Image Image

Image Spikey enjoying his kennel bed.
Image "This is my private time. What do you want?"

My Biscuit baby. <33 Image
That is a benign tumor, by the way, perfectly harmless and isn't affecting her one way or another. It showed up pretty recently and our vet told us it may just be easier and less trouble for her if we didn't get it removed.
This was before I brushed her out for the day. Forgot to take more afterwards aha

Image Image Image Image
I'm working with Eva to get her down to a good weight, but do you guys think Deebee needs a bit of conditioning too? Could he do to lose a bit of weight and get more tuck? He's pretty muscular and lean, he has very little fat to him and his curly fur makes him look a bit bigger than he is. Image

Do you own characters designed by me? (old username is 4dogowner) PM me! I'd love to draw art of some of my older designs, free of charge. <3
Toyhou.se
"Being courageous isn't the same as being fearless; it is doing what's right even when you're scared to death."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds."
"You are never a failure until you begin blaming your mistakes on someone else."
"Joy is a fully loaded magazine and a puppy."
Haagen-Daagen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:18 pm

^ Beautiful pictures! I'm glad Biscuit's tumor is benign. I like the name Biscuit, it was our late dog's middle name.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me