Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby .Middy. » Sat May 26, 2018 4:23 pm

His name is Screech! Like a Screech Owl since without ears he kinda looks like one lol. Not polydactyl, just has big paws lol. He’s a big guy in general though. I think he’s even bigger than Hawkeye but I’ll have to see once they meet and I can compare better lol.

The shelter said his story was. He was found as a stray and they adopted him out, the people returned him because they couldn’t afford him anymore. Then he was adopted out again but returned for getting into it with their kitten. (He doesn’t like rude kittens all up in his business so no kittens for me until he passes, or I’ll have to keep them apart until the kitten is grown and calmer lol) Somewhere in there he got really bad hematomas on his ears. So the shelter took him to the vet and they decided the best choice to stop his pain and fix him was to remove his ears. Who knows what his life was like before the shelter, but it’s been tough since he got there. Now he’s gonna be a spoiled boy for the rest of his life!

He got to go outside today for a photoshoot! He’s so confident, walked around the pen happily, wasn’t bothered by my neighbors dogs barking at him, etc. i really think he’s gonna be able to be harness trained, maybe some tricks, and I def want to try showing him!
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pathetic_aesthetic_ » Sun May 27, 2018 8:35 am

.Middy. wrote:Image

His name is Screech! Like a Screech Owl since without ears he kinda looks like one lol. Not polydactyl, just has big paws lol. He’s a big guy in general though. I think he’s even bigger than Hawkeye but I’ll have to see once they meet and I can compare better lol.

The shelter said his story was. He was found as a stray and they adopted him out, the people returned him because they couldn’t afford him anymore. Then he was adopted out again but returned for getting into it with their kitten. (He doesn’t like rude kittens all up in his business so no kittens for me until he passes, or I’ll have to keep them apart until the kitten is grown and calmer lol) Somewhere in there he got really bad hematomas on his ears. So the shelter took him to the vet and they decided the best choice to stop his pain and fix him was to remove his ears. Who knows what his life was like before the shelter, but it’s been tough since he got there. Now he’s gonna be a spoiled boy for the rest of his life!

He got to go outside today for a photoshoot! He’s so confident, walked around the pen happily, wasn’t bothered by my neighbors dogs barking at him, etc. i really think he’s gonna be able to be harness trained, maybe some tricks, and I def want to try showing him!

glad to hear he is doing so much better and found his forever home! i hope he makes you happy like you did to him (:
Pathetic_aesthetic_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Mon May 28, 2018 6:06 am

I've never heard of a service cat, that's super awesome! Just hope it doesn't go out in public. I've heard that cats can learn to respond to things such as anxiety and perform lpt (light pressure therapy) but I would feel as though it would be super uncomfortable for a cat to be out in public, And in most places it's illegal.

Also, it's hard to believe that Leo is 8 months old?? What happened to my teeny kitten, why is he a big kitten? Grrr.
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gizmutt » Wed May 30, 2018 11:11 am

So. For those of you who have dogs and cats how do you seperate the toys?

I may be taking in a dog for a good friend of mine in the near future ... but she is not exactly a small dog, and most cat toys are fairly small. I can imagine they’d be destroyed fairly quickly.

... that and the fact that one of my cats favorite toys in the entire world are partially blown balloons. I have never had problems with her trying to eat them once she eventually pops them, and her mouth is not big enough to swallow them when they are blown. A dog however could attempt to swallow them, and I imagine it’s be a pretty serious choking hazard.
So say goodbye to the old, and hello to that rainbow road ...
Gizmutt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Wed May 30, 2018 12:25 pm

Magnum Audibeliever wrote:So. For those of you who have dogs and cats how do you seperate the toys?

I may be taking in a dog for a good friend of mine in the near future ... but she is not exactly a small dog, and most cat toys are fairly small. I can imagine they’d be destroyed fairly quickly.

... that and the fact that one of my cats favorite toys in the entire world are partially blown balloons. I have never had problems with her trying to eat them once she eventually pops them, and her mouth is not big enough to swallow them when they are blown. A dog however could attempt to swallow them, and I imagine it’s be a pretty serious choking hazard.

I trained my dog to recognize which toys are hers and which are the cats', but I trained her to do that from puppyhood so it did take some time.

I think you should keep the cat toys in a separate room when the cats aren't playing with them, and keep the dog's toys where she'll be spending most of her time. Give her a firm "no" and tell her "drop it" if she gets a hold of any of the cats' toys, then reward her for doing so with one of her own toys. That should get it across to her what she should and shouldn't be playing with.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AtlasHyperion » Wed May 30, 2018 1:33 pm

My baby Margana passed away on Saturday, May 26th. She was old, we guessed 10-13, and had congenital heart disease and a failing liver, and the treatments are exact opposites - treat either one and the other organ fails. We were there with her when she went to sleep, and I know that now she's in a better place. I miss her a lot, and honestly I could care less if I find white hairs on all my clothes for the rest of my life. I miss her a lot, but I'm glad she's not suffering anymore, because she had fluid in her lungs and was struggling for air all the time. We're planning to make a shrine for her and scatter her ashes in all the places she loved to hang around outside, when everyone's back home at the same time.

In summary, I'm very sad she's gone and still mourning, but I'm so happy that she's not in pain and she can run around taunting our old dog Gracie and eat endless piles of tuna. I'll always miss her, but life moves on and I got a chance to say my goodbyes before it did.

And now, I think that when fall rolls around, we might welcome a new feline (or three) to the family. And we have so many happy memories - the time she followed us trick-or-treating for a few houses when my brother and I were young, all the times before she was ours when she howled at the back door until we let her in and fed her tuna - she walked into our house and stayed in our hearts.
atlas // they/them
if you ever need someone to talk to my dms are always open
stay safe, be kind, and have a great day!
AtlasHyperion

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Wed May 30, 2018 8:40 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss, Tankie <3 you did the right thing, and I'm sure Margana appreciates it <3
Keriae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

my kitten

Postby -Pumpkin- » Thu May 31, 2018 8:05 am

i got a cat like 4 days ago his name is binx an is biting my finger as i type he is 4 to six weeks and he likes to pounce on me if any of this has extra letters its because my cat is jumping on my computer :lol: :lol: :lol: lol
-Pumpkin-

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lunarsnow » Thu May 31, 2018 12:52 pm

Magnum Audibeliever wrote:So. For those of you who have dogs and cats how do you seperate the toys?

I've got the cat toybox set up in the safe room - which is my room with a baby gate across the door that cats can jump over but the dogs can't. If the toys end up out in the rest of the house where the dogs can access them, I just keep an extra eye on the dogs and exchange the cat toy with a dog toy if one of the dogs does manage to steal a cat toy (which does happen on occasion). If no one's going to be home then I put the loose cat toys away so the cats can't carry them around the house unsupervised.
Random cat spotlight <3
Lunarsnow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Naeco » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:03 am

Queenie! wrote:

I trained my dog to recognize which toys are hers and which are the cats', but I trained her to do that from puppyhood so it did take some time.

I think you should keep the cat toys in a separate room when the cats aren't playing with them, and keep the dog's toys where she'll be spending most of her time. Give her a firm "no" and tell her "drop it" if she gets a hold of any of the cats' toys, then reward her for doing so with one of her own toys. That should get it across to her what she should and shouldn't be playing with.

Do this and also get toys that are safe for both. I know of a good friend of mine that has three cats and two dogs. She has toys appropriate for all of them but the cats prefer the dog toys. :lol:
Links
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3303502
MainThingaMajiger

Pets

Maple Creek
Naeco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups