Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby Echo Revna » Sat May 19, 2018 7:17 am

Luzien wrote:he looks cute, what breed is he?

maybe one of this sniffing carpets, you can make them from natural wool stripes or such^^ or plastic bottles you put a hole on the middle and put a stick or rope through and treats inside then set it up on tiny wood fence post and let the puppy try to get the treats (did see this for dogs and goats)^^
there are some lovely do it yourself ideas out there :D

Thank you! He is an English Shepherd. They are pretty rare in our area, but anyway.

You mentioning the treat thing reminded me of something.... is it uncommon for a puppy to be not at all interested in treats? Nikita will drink milk, eat dry kibble, he even had a little bit of scrambled eggs. But he sticks his nose up at the treats.... I haven't had a puppy in years so to me this is pretty confusing....
Forever isn't long enough, I need you forever and a day,
in every lifetime and every universe, through every smile and tear,
by my side, not forever, but for eternity. - ➸

VET
Echo Revna

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Sat May 19, 2018 2:01 pm

A few of O’s tricks! Spin and leave it. She’s learning tons of new tricks, hopefully I can do a quick video one day of them! Maybe next time we visit my parents I’ll make her video us lol.

Bonus: Kes looking horribly sad that I’m working the puppy and not her 😂 they are both having to learn to stay quiet, calm and on a place or stay while I work the other. Both are doing really good though!

Tomorrow O and I are going to a big expo, fingers crossed we don’t run into too many rude dogs!

After her bath tonight! Such a goof
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby xXocea » Sat May 19, 2018 2:55 pm

GodmadeusallUnique wrote:
Luzien wrote:he looks cute, what breed is he?

maybe one of this sniffing carpets, you can make them from natural wool stripes or such^^ or plastic bottles you put a hole on the middle and put a stick or rope through and treats inside then set it up on tiny wood fence post and let the puppy try to get the treats (did see this for dogs and goats)^^
there are some lovely do it yourself ideas out there :D

Thank you! He is an English Shepherd. They are pretty rare in our area, but anyway.

You mentioning the treat thing reminded me of something.... is it uncommon for a puppy to be not at all interested in treats? Nikita will drink milk, eat dry kibble, he even had a little bit of scrambled eggs. But he sticks his nose up at the treats.... I haven't had a puppy in years so to me this is pretty confusing....

Some dogs just aren't food motivated. If your trying to train him try using toys as a reward instead of food. It might work better for him.
    Or it could just be the treat, maybe he doesn't like that specific one? Try to give him something else. You already said he likes kibble so maybe try training him with that. Set aside about a quarter (or more) of what you usually feed him in a day and use that as a treat. It has far less calories than a treat does and since he would've eaten it anyway through his meals you don't have to worry too much about him overeating and gaining weight.

@Middy
    Wow! You can really tell in that last pic how much O has grown! She's gorgeous.
xXocea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Echo Revna » Sun May 20, 2018 2:30 am

RebelliousWinter wrote:
    Some dogs just aren't food motivated. If your trying to train him try using toys as a reward instead of food. It might work better for him.
    Or it could just be the treat, maybe he doesn't like that specific one? Try to give him something else. You already said he likes kibble so maybe try training him with that. Set aside about a quarter (or more) of what you usually feed him in a day and use that as a treat. It has far less calories than a treat does and since he would've eaten it anyway through his meals you don't have to worry too much about him overeating and gaining weight.

Actually, the thing that motivates him the most is attention, toys work sometimes, but for the most part he just wants the attention, I imagine that will change a bit over time.
I do plan on trying some different kinds of treats, just haven't had a chance to go to the store in the last few days. And actually, he is a little bit under weight because he had too many siblings so we are working on getting him up to the perfect weight.
Forever isn't long enough, I need you forever and a day,
in every lifetime and every universe, through every smile and tear,
by my side, not forever, but for eternity. - ➸

VET
Echo Revna

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pangolin » Sun May 20, 2018 3:40 pm

@.Middy.
She's heckin cute. <3
I taught my puppy to spin one way then the other just for fun.
I assume she's a border collie? Her and my puppy(Sadie in my sig), look similar, even after a bath! But I'm p sure Sadie doesn't have any collie in her, she's too small.
{ Pangolin - Call Me Pan }
| Dexter | Honey | Sadie | Athena&Rhea | Rusty | Parker |
Pangolin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Mon May 21, 2018 10:33 am

My very happy Dog

cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby juliall » Mon May 21, 2018 6:04 pm

Left my dog with my fiance for the week while I am home visiting family. I sure miss her already :(
juliall

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ghostmaker » Mon May 21, 2018 11:58 pm

hi everyone!! i’m mochi c:

i have two dogs; a german shepherd and a puggle! the german shepherd is five and his name is raja, the puggle turns two in august and his name is timmy.

raja has anxiety + i wasn’t very old when we got him, so the things he knows are: sit, down, come, and rollover. again, it’s hard to get him to stay as he starts whining for us.

timmy is very motivated by food, so he’s a faster learner than raja, aha. he knows: sit, stay, and come. for some odd reason, whenever i tried to teach him down, he started to lower his front paws but then scoots back up to sitting if he gets too low.
ghostmaker

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Haagen-Daagen » Tue May 22, 2018 3:42 am

Say hello to our new girl Luna. ❤️
Attachments
1F8056A4-76E5-42D2-8B1F-4EF202F461CF.jpeg
1F8056A4-76E5-42D2-8B1F-4EF202F461CF.jpeg (116.58 KiB) Viewed 94 times
C90D7F6D-2055-4107-B15C-19D4A5CEBE9C.jpeg
C90D7F6D-2055-4107-B15C-19D4A5CEBE9C.jpeg (113.17 KiB) Viewed 94 times
BA1BDDBA-8587-4E83-AD77-8EC80EFD05BF.jpeg
BA1BDDBA-8587-4E83-AD77-8EC80EFD05BF.jpeg (113.37 KiB) Viewed 137 times
Last edited by Haagen-Daagen on Tue May 22, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Do you own characters designed by me? (old username is 4dogowner) PM me! I'd love to draw art of some of my older designs, free of charge. <3
Toyhou.se
"Being courageous isn't the same as being fearless; it is doing what's right even when you're scared to death."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds."
"You are never a failure until you begin blaming your mistakes on someone else."
"Joy is a fully loaded magazine and a puppy."
Haagen-Daagen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eff » Tue May 22, 2018 4:52 am

I took a break from CS and I'm back for my dogs. So, my youngest (we got him at 16 weeks in February) is currently being targeted by my eldest (there's only the two of them). He isn't violent or anything, but he keeps sniffing his rear end. Now, occasionally, this would be typical dog behaviour, as a greeting or trying to remember scents for a later date. But he is constantly doing it. My eldest (Pippin) has epilepsy and gathers ticks rather easily, such as shaking as though he is wet, or lifting his head and biting the air. We are worried because he keeps on doing it, for hours a day. He will stop had we make him.
Is it hormone change in the youngest (Atlas)? My mom was wondering if we should get him fixed (Pippin isn't fixed. Any high-emotion would cause a seizure, and so breeding isn't an option if we ever considered it) but I know there are a few cons and such in regards to that, isn't there?
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me