Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby drift. » Thu May 17, 2018 3:42 am

Fostering this big handsome hunk. He's really well-mannered, but he's really stubborn when I give the command 'down'. He follows the command, just alot of vocal protest and he takes 5 minutes to get there. How would I encourage him, besides treats, and get him excited about it. Down is the only command he doesn't like, and the reason I say besides treats is that he still refuses even with a treat incentive.

drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Thu May 17, 2018 4:12 am

drift. wrote:Fostering this big handsome hunk. He's really well-mannered, but he's really stubborn when I give the command 'down'. He follows the command, just alot of vocal protest and he takes 5 minutes to get there. How would I encourage him, besides treats, and get him excited about it. Down is the only command he doesn't like, and the reason I say besides treats is that he still refuses even with a treat incentive.

How old is he? It is possible that laying down could be painful, does he seem to have problems laying down on his own, does it take him a while or vocalize then? Or could getting up from the position be a problem?

Also where are you asking him to down? It could be he doesn't like laying down on hard floors because it's uncomfortable for him. You could try softer flooring, a dog bed, or a mat to help.

If you've ruled out those problems I would suggest upping the value of the reward which could mean a higher value treat or another type of reward entirely. Also limit the amount of time you ask, don't ask for the 'down' ten times in a row for example. Other then that it's just a matter of ignoring the vocalizations and being consistent, then shortening the amount of time you wait for him to respond in order to receive the reward slowly by a second at a time to get him to respond quicker.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Naeco » Thu May 17, 2018 5:02 am

Imzadi83 wrote:
drift. wrote:Fostering this big handsome hunk. He's really well-mannered, but he's really stubborn when I give the command 'down'. He follows the command, just alot of vocal protest and he takes 5 minutes to get there. How would I encourage him, besides treats, and get him excited about it. Down is the only command he doesn't like, and the reason I say besides treats is that he still refuses even with a treat incentive.

How old is he? It is possible that laying down could be painful, does he seem to have problems laying down on his own, does it take him a while or vocalize then? Or could getting up from the position be a problem?

Also where are you asking him to down? It could be he doesn't like laying down on hard floors because it's uncomfortable for him. You could try softer flooring, a dog bed, or a mat to help.

If you've ruled out those problems I would suggest upping the value of the reward which could mean a higher value treat or another type of reward entirely. Also limit the amount of time you ask, don't ask for the 'down' ten times in a row for example. Other then that it's just a matter of ignoring the vocalizations and being consistent, then shortening the amount of time you wait for him to respond in order to receive the reward slowly by a second at a time to get him to respond quicker.

I would look into pain as well. Also, you mentioned fostering? Is it possible that his previous home beat/forced/abused him into performing certain actions or kicked when he laid down?
Links
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3303502
MainThingaMajiger

Pets

Maple Creek
Naeco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby drift. » Thu May 17, 2018 5:36 am

@Naeco
He was an owner surrender, very well taken care of. The dad's job moved and unfortunately, Bojak couldn't go with them. The family had three kids, and when he came in there were no scars bruises or cuts.

@Imzadi
I suppose I could try a mat, but I've tried on grass, carpet and tile. Anywhere I've decided to train, he resists. He's only 3, so I couldn't imagine it would be painful joints. I'll try amping up the treat as well as not give him morethan a minute to lie down. He enjoys it, I think. His tail is always wagging a mile a minute as I tell him 'down' and he barks back. He thinks it's our own little game I bet. I'll start there and try other things. I've been working on 'focus', so he takes his attention from his barking to me. It's not going so great, but he'll catch on.
drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Naeco » Thu May 17, 2018 6:22 am

drift. wrote:@Naeco
He was an owner surrender, very well taken care of. The dad's job moved and unfortunately, Bojak couldn't go with them. The family had three kids, and when he came in there were no scars bruises or cuts.

@Imzadi
I suppose I could try a mat, but I've tried on grass, carpet and tile. Anywhere I've decided to train, he resists. He's only 3, so I couldn't imagine it would be painful joints. I'll try amping up the treat as well as not give him morethan a minute to lie down. He enjoys it, I think. His tail is always wagging a mile a minute as I tell him 'down' and he barks back. He thinks it's our own little game I bet. I'll start there and try other things. I've been working on 'focus', so he takes his attention from his barking to me. It's not going so great, but he'll catch on.

Sounds like he just thinks it is a game then. :lol: Keep working with him then. Another option is to take a collar and pull it down until he "gives in" and then reward him big time. It is a bit forceful, but it sounds like he is trying to get away with it and that would teach him that he can't get away with refusing it. Of course, that option is up to you to use. I've used it on a few dogs that were stubborn and sassy and it worked out well.
Links
MainThingaMajiger

Pets

Maple Creek
Naeco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mintu1 » Thu May 17, 2018 6:27 am

drift. wrote:@Imzadi

Maybe you could try changing the command? The "down" command might mean barking and playtime for him. It might be something he developed in his previous family. Getting a new command could sort of reset that and teach him down all over but properly this time. If nothing else works I think it is worth a shot. I have had to change a command once for my dog because it started to mean something else for her (this was my fault for sure) and now she does the command perfectly only with a new word.
Mintu1

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Thu May 17, 2018 6:31 am

@ drift
could you maybe make a video where he trys to get down? there you really can see what is wrong.

and yes there young dogs who can be in pain from hurting joints ... also puppy who are so badly in muscle or bone or breeding, or livig in small cages when young or such ...or have hurting hip, leg, neck, back, paw or belly that they really cant or want to lie down, it could hurt to get down, or stand up after, some dogs only show little signs of it that you dont see when you dont know what to look for...it is sadly not only old dogs who have little or big pains, or he did grow to fast and is hurting a little, ..some a chiro can help you with, other pain meds or the right sport, massage.

maybe one can ask the old owner, if he did show it with them too....maybe it is really only playful and bad teaching..or a game...voice and you Body movement can say to him lets play :?:
when he really is healthy and you checked the whole body for pain (light touches and pushes) ...then maybe try not to talk when you want him down, stay silent, back straight shoulder back and give him the sign to do it, then he will not bark and maybe goes down when he was trained with sign for this, maybe... and maybe use the moment when he goes down to lie next to you or his bed to say down....and throw treat when he does it.
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Thu May 17, 2018 6:33 am

Naeco wrote:
drift. wrote:@Naeco

@Imzadi

Sounds like he just thinks it is a game then. :lol: Keep working with him then. Another option is to take a collar and pull it down until he "gives in" and then reward him big time. It is a bit forceful, but it sounds like he is trying to get away with it and that would teach him that he can't get away with refusing it. Of course, that option is up to you to use. I've used it on a few dogs that were stubborn and sassy and it worked out well.

I wouldn't recommend this technique, especially with a foster dog. Right now he thinks it's a game but if he's not comfortable with the force you put on his collar it could frighten him and your hand will be in a perfect position to get bit.

You can also try capturing the behavior as well. When you see he's going to lay down on his own say 'down' and then make a big deal of it when he does.

If he's taking more than a minute to lay down it may simply be that he wasn't taught this behavior correctly and you may need to go back and teach it to him like it was brand new. Sometimes changing the cue word can help as well.
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Naeco » Thu May 17, 2018 6:46 am

Imzadi83 wrote:-snip-

I wouldn't recommend this technique, especially with a foster dog. Right now he thinks it's a game but if he's not comfortable with the force you put on his collar it could frighten him and your hand will be in a perfect position to get bit.

You can also try capturing the behavior as well. When you see he's going to lay down on his own say 'down' and then make a big deal of it when he does.

If he's taking more than a minute to lay down it may simply be that he wasn't taught this behavior correctly and you may need to go back and teach it to him like it was brand new. Sometimes changing the cue word can help as well.

Well, it is sorta common sense that if the dog is showing any aggressive behaviors to any action that you are performing, to stop said action. I stated this as an option, not as a must do.

I will also suggest trying to say other commands that mean the same thing. Maybe "down" to him meant get off of something. Try "lay down", "lay", "settle", etc and see what he does.
Links
MainThingaMajiger

Pets

Maple Creek
Naeco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:28 am

nearly.witches wrote:
hello, my name is mel, and i have gone 16 years of my life
without a pet/dog, and animals are my fave things in the entire world.

so please

anyone and everyone feel free to send me pictures of your dogs. please.
thanks ;0;

Here's a picture of my little girl Chloe...

ImageDSC01757 by Gumireland, on Flickr
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me