Poultry Lovers Club

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Which type of fowl is your favorite?

Standard Chicken
34%
Duck
15%
Geese
3%
Turkey
3%
Peafowl
4%
Pigeons
15%
Bantams
18%
Other
8%

Total votes : 473

Re: Poultry Lovers -- Chat Thread/Club

Postby claypigeon » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:50 pm

I'm a little bummed right now, two nights ago one of our chickens died. We have a very small flock of three so they all mean so much to us. Sadly, it was Sasha our cream legbar. She was incredibly nervous ( even though our other H chickens are very very tame) but was always a great layer and was really beautiful. We have no idea how she died, it was a shock. She was only two.

We did give her a "funeral" mostly just us burrying her and putting flowers on her grave.
I'm sorry Sasha <3 I hope your in a good place baby.

hi!
clay★ she/her
i have many classes, work and no time. ((so please be patient w me !!)
electric guitar connoisseur. dead head and led head
pm me if you need to talk or just want a friend !!
If I owe you an unfinished commission I never did from years ago, which I did often bc I was a horrible little gremlin, please just let me know : )
johnny says stay cool
claypigeon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:24 pm

Funsized wrote:I'm a little bummed right now, two nights ago one of our chickens died. We have a very small flock of three so they all mean so much to us. Sadly, it was Sasha our cream legbar. She was incredibly nervous ( even though our other H chickens are very very tame) but was always a great layer and was really beautiful. We have no idea how she died, it was a shock. She was only two.

We did give her a "funeral" mostly just us burrying her and putting flowers on her grave.

Aw, I'm sorry. I had to bury one of our unnamed chicks today. Just think, she probably had a great chicken life <3
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby JonTheWizard » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:43 am

Username: That Bunny Girl
Why are you joining: I have four pet Ducks and four pet Chickens. I love them dearly!! I'm going to get more once my coop is finished.
Favorite poultry bird: I cant choose! Probably ducks, only because they have the best personalitys!!
Other: I have:
2 Pekin ducks(Male and Female) named Duckie and Quackquack
2 Muscovy Ducks(Male and Female) named Le quack and Lucky duck
1 Belgian D'Uccle hen named Chick-O-Stick
1 Silkie hen named Tuesday
1 Mix hen named Cricket
1 Cornish cross hen named Chicklet
JonTheWizard

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 'Possum » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:47 am

Funsized wrote:I'm a little bummed right now, two nights ago one of our chickens died. We have a very small flock of three so they all mean so much to us. Sadly, it was Sasha our cream legbar. She was incredibly nervous ( even though our other H chickens are very very tame) but was always a great layer and was really beautiful. We have no idea how she died, it was a shock. She was only two.

Awwww! Sorry for your loss. It's always frustrating and and when one dies. Especially when it's out of the blue like that.
Chickens tend to do that though. Just up and die for no apparent reason. I guess it's part of being a prey animal. They hide any illness so well. By the time we take notice, they're gone. :(
'Possum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vertigo » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:28 am

I'd like everyone to meet Latte, our young and one of the newest additions to our flock, the salmon faverolle! She's definitely my favorite, besides my blue silkie, and has one of the biggest chicken personalities I have seen yet. Always talkin' and squakin'. P.S, she just started laying last week!

Funsized -- Oh dear, I'm so sorry for your loss! Unfortunately,- like Possum has stated - chickens are one of the many animals that can just die out of the blue, for no apparent reason. However, there are several things it might have been. But, Without performing a necropsy, it's impossible to know given that a thorough external examination disclosed no obvious causes. Chickens or really any poultry, are extremely well at disguising illness, therefor, death can come notoriously suddenly. Perhaps your hen had an internal injury that you guys weren't aware of? My creamleg bar is extremely sweet, though very fragile. It's almost as if the slighest peck could send her in the wrong way! Did you get her from MyPetChicken by any chance?
vertigo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:55 am

Hello
i have a question for chicken owner here :D
What would you say is the best layer and a more calm chicken under the small ones, healthy too?
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vertigo » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:04 am

Luzien wrote:Hello
      i have a question for chicken owner here :D
      What would you say is the best layer and a more calm chicken under the small ones, healthy too?

My suggestion would definitely be a Buff Orpington. This breed is an above average layer, and has a wonderful production rate of large brown eggs. They're known to be friendly - despite their large size - and they are an excellent beginner chicken. If you plan to raise chicks, the Orpington is a very good brooder, and will be an excellent mother. Though, because of their docile nature, other birds may peck on them.
vertigo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 'Possum » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:17 am

Agreed. Excellent layers of very nice eggs. Super cuddly and mellow.
Another equally good choice is their cousin the Australorp. Basically, a black Australian version of the Orpingtons.

My White Leghorn lays far better but she is an exception to the rule with their personality. They tend to be high strung and flighty. Also, her eggs tend to be very thin shelled now that she's getting older (gonna be 4 in March). She lays daily but probably half end up crushed by the other hens.
Last edited by 'Possum on Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
'Possum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:20 pm

Thank you very much for the answer :D
buff Orpington, interesting, they look nice and calm.
yes we did think about getting some, but still not sure. it would be only same calm breed and only around 4 or so birds, as they will need enough space (a small group will no be a problem?).
Docile is good as we cant use flighty nervous birds because of our dogs.

austalorp look nice too, they say in wiki that they are docile too, and they are not so large....^^
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Roadhog » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:26 pm

RIP my one polish rooster-Tesla. tbh I feel upset about him dying. On one hand he was a really nice chicken, not 'friendly' (Mostly skitter-ish wouldn't let you pet him.) and a good chicken, but then on the other I couldn't have any other roosters then the two I had,(AND quick note, I only have (Had) 14 chickens, 4 roos, 10 hens, if you want to keep 4 roosters, and it's never good to keep that many in a small coop. It was fine for a few months... The one new-er roo (From July- regular bantam cochin) is fine, Frizz is fine, and Pablo, but my dad said he found Tesla dead, 'pecked to death' as he said. I thought that stupid cat came again and hurt him, (There's been a rogue cat wandering. It hasn't harmed any of my chickens ever, but I jumped to the conclusion that it did.) Until my mom told me about Tesla.
Sorry, I just felt the need to talk about this somewhere.
Rest in peace buddy :,<
not accepting pms right now unless I add you to my friends list.
finally quitting. I've told myself I'll quit soon, and I never did, but I finally feel like I should quit. Still keeping my characters/deviantart though. I've wanted to quit for a long long time, but I'm doing it.
Nobody on here talks with me , is friends, and I try to chat on the FR thread but nobody responds much.
Quitting CS and flightrising.

All my fr dragons/stuff went to one of my real life best friends, so don't ask for my FR stuff.
Roadhog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me