* Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What is your favorite fruit/veggie to feed your birds?

quinoa
7%
cucumber
12%
strawberry
20%
carrot
12%
jalapeno
6%
sweet peppers
5%
corn
9%
grapes
13%
rice
8%
sprouts
8%

Total votes : 826

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby alouetta » Mon May 14, 2018 5:29 pm

hi all. my male tiel's hatchdate is later this month, and i've had him since he had yet to be weaned. (i hand fed him his formula) the majority of his life thus far has consisted of me constantly exposing him to fruits and veggies, putting them in his cage, and trying various techniques to coax him into eating it. he doesn't. naturally, i'm paranoid his kidneys will fail, so i have him on avian supplements i sprinkle in his food, and clay cal. however, im worried that isnt enough. he's on a mix of dr. harvey's cockatiel food, i suggest looking up the ingredients because they look great, and roudybush maintenance. are there any suggestions or tips on getting him to eat fruits and veggies? lmk.
alouetta

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Momoko-Chan » Tue May 15, 2018 2:55 am

I got two new members of the family! :3

So this is Flocke (flake in german, I kinda obviously meant a snowflake :D) doing the batbird:
Click for image

And this is Sora (japanese for sky):
Click for image

They are both such cute little birdies! Sora is very curious and plays with all the toys they have in their aviary. Flocke is a little bit calmer. They get along well with the other four :3
ImageImage
ImageImage
Shannah ~~~~~~~~ Solaris ~~~~~~~~~ Abby ~~~~~~~~ Cherry
Momoko-Chan

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mothmanofficial » Tue May 15, 2018 3:50 am

Marin wrote:
hi all. my male tiel's hatchdate is later this month, and i've had him since he had yet to be weaned. (i hand fed him his formula) the majority of his life thus far has consisted of me constantly exposing him to fruits and veggies, putting them in his cage, and trying various techniques to coax him into eating it. he doesn't. naturally, i'm paranoid his kidneys will fail, so i have him on avian supplements i sprinkle in his food, and clay cal. however, im worried that isnt enough. he's on a mix of dr. harvey's cockatiel food, i suggest looking up the ingredients because they look great, and roudybush maintenance. are there any suggestions or tips on getting him to eat fruits and veggies? lmk.

I am also struggling with this. I have found that sprinkling millet on it helps, and dehydrating veggies and putting them in their food works great.

╔══════════════════════════════╗
Ace | He/him| INFP | Avatar FAQ | Carrd
╚══════════════════════════════╝

╔═════════════════════════╗
My head is filled with bees and all of
them are playing the trombone feature
from Phantom Regiment's 2023 show
|Thanks for coming to my TED talk|

╚═════════════════════════╝

Mothmanofficial

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lexi. » Tue May 15, 2018 8:24 am

Hello. Yesterday I found my 2 conures mating. Though it's my dream to breed conures, I'm not sure what genders they are... do conures mate with the same sex? They also have a nestbox
Lexi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby alouetta » Tue May 15, 2018 12:54 pm

Sparkfire wrote:
Marin wrote:

I am also struggling with this. I have found that sprinkling millet on it helps, and dehydrating veggies and putting them in their food works great.

Alright, thanks so much! I'll definitely try that
alouetta

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sinensys » Tue May 15, 2018 12:59 pm

^^ have you tried "showing him" it's good? my tiel is pretty picky [he only likes sweet fruits, oddly], but i found that eating food, or even just pretending to, gets his interest and then he too wants to try it. just holding up to your mouth and making lip/mouth noises [gross, i know] and maybe it'll help? they're flock creatures, so they care what the rest do or think.

sinensys

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re:

Postby alouetta » Tue May 15, 2018 3:10 pm

abeyance wrote:
    ^^ have you tried "showing him" it's good? my tiel is pretty picky [he only likes sweet fruits, oddly], but i found that eating food, or even just pretending to, gets his interest and then he too wants to try it. just holding up to your mouth and making lip/mouth noises [gross, i know] and maybe it'll help? they're flock creatures, so they care what the rest do or think.

I actually have, and he grabs it and throws it behind him haha. He's incredibly stubborn
alouetta

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mothmanofficial » Tue May 15, 2018 11:17 pm

@marin
At least he tastes it that way. The biggest problem with them is that they usually do not know it is food, so getting it in the beaks, even just for a second, helps the process.

╔══════════════════════════════╗
Ace | He/him| INFP | Avatar FAQ | Carrd
╚══════════════════════════════╝

╔═════════════════════════╗
My head is filled with bees and all of
them are playing the trombone feature
from Phantom Regiment's 2023 show
|Thanks for coming to my TED talk|

╚═════════════════════════╝

Mothmanofficial

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Wed May 16, 2018 6:36 pm

Momoko-Chan wrote:I got two new members of the family! :3

So this is Flocke (flake in german, I kinda obviously meant a snowflake :D) doing the batbird:
Click for image

And this is Sora (japanese for sky):
Click for image

They are both such cute little birdies! Sora is very curious and plays with all the toys they have in their aviary. Flocke is a little bit calmer. They get along well with the other four :3
Oh, pretty! :.D
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ultimate writer. » Wed May 16, 2018 6:39 pm

I have four parrots! All are Indian Ringnecks
I named them Chito(M) , Nitu(F) , Pito(M) , Mitu(F)

All are pairs, but I have to admit
All my parrots are gaining weight,
ultimate writer.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me