* Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What is your favorite fruit/veggie to feed your birds?

quinoa
7%
cucumber
12%
strawberry
20%
carrot
12%
jalapeno
6%
sweet peppers
5%
corn
9%
grapes
13%
rice
8%
sprouts
8%

Total votes : 826

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby Mothmanofficial » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:46 am

@skittish
Thanks. She seems to be kind of ok, I am worried she might also be sick though because they were living in the same cage. Now that everything is sanitized, it is really just a waiting game to see if she is sick. Obviously, I do not want to bring in another bird so soon as well. For a month there will be no new bird, then I will either sell her or buy her a new mate. If I buy a new bird, he/she (I have not decided if I will be getting a boy or girl) will need to be quarantined as well, but I can put the new bird in the room beside where my hen lives and leave the door open so they can hear each other.

╔══════════════════════════════╗
Ace | He/him| INFP | Avatar FAQ | Carrd
╚══════════════════════════════╝

╔═════════════════════════╗
My head is filled with bees and all of
them are playing the trombone feature
from Phantom Regiment's 2023 show
|Thanks for coming to my TED talk|

╚═════════════════════════╝

Mothmanofficial

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spearow » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:49 pm

Hey all, I've never posted here before. I could really use some advice from experienced bird owners.

My mother's female cockatiel just laid down and passed away, and her mate is having a crisis. The pair have had three clutches of successful hatchlings before. I own two of the male offspring that are about six years old.

I know all birds are different but how well do you think the grieving male would adjust to his sons being places in his pen? If it will help him, I would be more than happy to place them together. They're social birds and he is really upset, but they're also smart and he will obviously know his sons aren't his mate.

Any suggestions? I feel awful that little female bird was so sweet.
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
xx
xxxImage
xx
xxx
❥ Trade me?
xxstatus: tired
x x
xxtradesisolistoAuction
xx➵ Looking for wishlist!
Spearow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby EliTheDinoKid » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:51 pm

EliWeel wrote:Okay, so I've had my Parakeet for 5 months now, and he doesn't want to touch me. He'll eat millet I'm holding as long as I'm holding it out to him. I've put my hand in his cage almost every day and tried getting him to step up, but he almost never lets me touch him. Granted, there have been times where I didn't put my hand in his cage for a couple weeks. Also, a couple months ago, my mother was worried about his nails getting too long and tried speeding up the "bonding process" by chasing him around the cage with her hand. Before she did this, he was starting to warm up to me a little bit, but after he was back to the way he was when we got him. I'm fairly sure this made him more uncomfortable around me. But we got him a special perch that trims his nails and he loves it.

There was a time when I had food in my hand and he was trying everything he could to get the food, but not touch my hand. He would climb on the cage around my hand and right in front of my face, around my hand, and leaned as far as he could, but he still was not able to get the food. The other day, I was holding is food bowl and he was standing on the edge of the bowl. I moved up from under him and he let me touch his foot and stomach. Although he did fly away and come back a couple times when I touched him too much.

I'm wondering if there is anything I'm doing wrong or if there is anything I can do to increase our bond and get him to trust me. I'll try anything but taking him out of his cage. Also, I was planning on getting another parakeet soon. Is this a good idea? Or should I wait until Quinn (my bird) can step up? Could really use the help Thanks.
EliTheDinoKid

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lexi. » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:58 pm

Re-applying

Username: Lexi.
How many birds do you own? : 2 conures, 25 budgies, 1 cockatiel
How long have you had them?: Ive owned birds for like 8 years
What brings you to the bird chat?: Birds...
Lexi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:49 pm

Spearow wrote:Hey all, I've never posted here before. I could really use some advice from experienced bird owners.

My mother's female cockatiel just laid down and passed away, and her mate is having a crisis. The pair have had three clutches of successful hatchlings before. I own two of the male offspring that are about six years old.

I know all birds are different but how well do you think the grieving male would adjust to his sons being places in his pen? If it will help him, I would be more than happy to place them together. They're social birds and he is really upset, but they're also smart and he will obviously know his sons aren't his mate.

Any suggestions? I feel awful that little female bird was so sweet.

when the aviary is large enough for all three, you could try it,...you can try to put them in asap and hope for the best, or try to bring them together slowly with two cages next to each other.... but the best would be when you could let them to together in a room that is safe and all three dont know with perches to sit on and maybe food...so it will be a new place for all of them, and change all toys and perches in the aviary to new places and make it look new...so all can start a new way.

@
EliWeel »

Okay, so I've had my Parakeet for 5 months now, and he doesn't want to touch me. He'll eat millet I'm holding as long as I'm holding it out to him. I've put my hand in his cage almost every day and tried getting him to step up, but he almost never lets me touch him. Granted, there have been times where I didn't put my hand in his cage for a couple weeks. Also, a couple months ago, my mother was worried about his nails getting too long and tried speeding up the "bonding process" by chasing him around the cage with her hand. Before she did this, he was starting to warm up to me a little bit, but after he was back to the way he was when we got him. I'm fairly sure this made him more uncomfortable around me. But we got him a special perch that trims his nails and he loves it.

There was a time when I had food in my hand and he was trying everything he could to get the food, but not touch my hand. He would climb on the cage around my hand and right in front of my face, around my hand, and leaned as far as he could, but he still was not able to get the food. The other day, I was holding is food bowl and he was standing on the edge of the bowl. I moved up from under him and he let me touch his foot and stomach. Although he did fly away and come back a couple times when I touched him too much.

I'm wondering if there is anything I'm doing wrong or if there is anything I can do to increase our bond and get him to trust me. I'll try anything but taking him out of his cage. Also, I was planning on getting another parakeet soon. Is this a good idea? Or should I wait until Quinn (my bird) can step up? Could really use the help Thanks.

one question first...
how does the partner of the male react to you and your mother, maybe you could use her/him to train the male :?:

then how large is the aviary or flight cage and how interesting are the toys for them? how long is the time you train the two birds each time each day:?:

just dont touch, dont hunt the birds in the cage, when you Need to do the claws just use a fluffy towel to catch and hold them with towel over the head and calm word...

birds are no toys, they will remember things like a elephant and know who did try something, they often will have one person they like, sometimes only one sometimes more and when you have bad luck it will be a aunt or uncle or sibling who only visits once aa yer...you cant do aything against this.....some will never let human take them on the hand or touch them more the a second, when at all....

it is careful training training traing and so on....it is not we do it today and push the hand with food in the tiny cage and want them to go on and then do nothing for weeks...each day holding the hand at the front of cage with the most loved Food on it....or a spoon or one of your fingers, no movemet no touchy touchy of bird at all, thee bird is the one who Needs to come to you not the other way.
clicker training is also a thing that can help in each day training..

but be ready and not angry or sad.... that even with sittig there for hours over years, and training them with target and loots of calm and love,.. that they maybe got on a target-bowl-spoon but never your hands or let you touch them more than a short moment....or only let a stranger-visitor touch them....they are birds.
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mothmanofficial » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:34 pm

@Spearow
I have never owned cockatiels, but it seems to me like the best thing to do is put them in if you have enough room. If not, get the cage a close as possible so they are at least near him. If he accepts them, great. If not, just put the cage close to him like I mentioned before.

╔══════════════════════════════╗
Ace | He/him| INFP | Avatar FAQ | Carrd
╚══════════════════════════════╝

╔═════════════════════════╗
My head is filled with bees and all of
them are playing the trombone feature
from Phantom Regiment's 2023 show
|Thanks for coming to my TED talk|

╚═════════════════════════╝

Mothmanofficial

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spearow » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:29 am

@Luzien and Sparkfire
Thank you both for replying. <3

This poor boy is having an awful time singing and singing for her. I’ve seen cockatiels in pet stores all mashed together in community viewing “tanks” in the wall, my mother’s cage is bigger than the one my boys are in. And when they were hatchlings, we had them all in the larger cage for a few months until ultimately we gave one male hatchling to a family friend, and I got the other two boy siblings. Both cages are in the same house but in seperate rooms, they sing to each other a lot xD or if one hears my moms car pulling up and starts screeching in excitement they all start oml

I think I’ll take my little guys in and set their cage next to papa, see what they think of each other. <3
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
xx
xxxImage
xx
xxx
❥ Trade me?
x x
xxtradesisolistoAuction
Spearow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby seasons greetings » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:03 am

Username: seasons greetings
How many birds do you own? ( if applicable ): 2
How long have you had them?: i have had my cockatiel named rosie for almost 9 years now and my parakeet for a few months
What brings you to the bird chat?: i looooveee birds!!!!!!!

have an amazing day! ♡
seasons greetings

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spearow » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:58 pm

An update on my birbs, best picture i got of them. ^^ From left to right, Harley (father), Doon-Ranmaru (son), Kyohei (son). (: The father is much happier now with his sons after losing his mate.
No bickering (except the usual between the sons!).
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
xx
xxxImage
xx
xxx
❥ Trade me?
x x
xxtradesisolistoAuction
Spearow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:58 pm

that is really nice :D
could you put them together asap or did you do it as you did want too, with the cages next to each other?
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me