The Cavy(Guinea Pig) Lovers Club

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: The Cavy(Guinea Pig) Lovers Club

Postby Puddles. » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:30 am

I like Mrs.Piggy's name. Cx
ImageImage
Puddles.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kickin' up dirt » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:04 am

Thank you :)
Kickin' up dirt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:15 pm

Hi! I love guinea pigs; I have three.

Image Holly
Yes I know, she's really fat in this picture. This was taken the day I brought her from the shelter and she was very fat. Since then she has slimmed down a lot c:

Image This is Marshmallow, one of my little boys. Licorice is his brother.

Image Licorice!

Image Licorice and Marshmallow cuddling
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby little rowzerz » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:40 pm

I have a cold right now, so I am staying away from my guinea pigs and my hamster, to prevent them from getting sick. Once they get sick, it's very hard to save them.
Please check out my goat thread in the Animal Chatter forum, it has a poll for extra fun: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1765712
Jesus <3ImageImage
THANK YOU so much, Depressed Shadows for my dreamie!!
My biggest gift: 137 pets(all wish list) and 53 items(all wish list)! :D
little rowzerz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kickin' up dirt » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:56 am

little rowzerz wrote:I have a cold right now, so I am staying away from my guinea pigs and my hamster, to prevent them from getting sick. Once they get sick, it's very hard to save them.

I've never heard of something like that.
Kickin' up dirt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:18 am

Guinea pigs have very weak immune systems and can indeedy get illnesses from humans. Generally bacteria, not so much viruses but it's best to be safe and have minimal contact while you're ill. c: They'll be fine for a few days
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:49 pm

Unfortunately, the time has come. I must separate my little boys! :( I don't want to do it, but they won't stop fighting. If I take one of them out as soon as I put him back in they start humping each other and squeaking. Luckily I have an extra cage for emergencies that I'm going to put Marshmallow in. I just have a question: Is it best to put the cage near Licorice's pen so they can see each other or not?
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Puddles. » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:24 pm

Honestly, they'll be very hostile to each other either way. They consider the cage their 'territory' so it depends how territorial your piggies are. I have my cages stacked, so they won't see each other unless outside...
ImageImage
Puddles.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Indian pony~ » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:04 pm

One of my pigs,oreo has been quite aggressive lately. first she was chasing jellybean around and yesterday she started nipping at me.any suggestions?
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
~Indian pony~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:57 pm

Cookie Jar wrote:Unfortunately, the time has come. I must separate my little boys! :( I don't want to do it, but they won't stop fighting. If I take one of them out as soon as I put him back in they start humping each other and squeaking. Luckily I have an extra cage for emergencies that I'm going to put Marshmallow in. I just have a question: Is it best to put the cage near Licorice's pen so they can see each other or not?

What's the size of your cage? How long had they been living together? How old are they? Humping and squeaking is fine and normal behaviour for 2 guinea pigs sorting out who's in charge. It's when they start chattering and such that you need to be wary and when they're fighting or about to fight that you seperate them.
Read through this: http://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm introductions is at the bottom listing safe behaviour.

~stablebum~ wrote:One of my pigs,oreo has been quite aggressive lately. first she was chasing jellybean around and yesterday she started nipping at me.any suggestions?

What size cage do they have, do they share it? How old are they? How long have they been living together if they have? What were you both doing before she nipped you? If she didn't break the skin she wasn't necessarily being aggressive, just scared or upset. What does she do when she chases Jellybean? Just chase or mount or something?
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me