{ inklings writing contests } NEW CONTEST

Find a competition to enter your artwork in, or create an art competition for others!
Forum rules
Art theft is not tolerated here. Do not copy/trace/edit/use anybody's pictures without their express permission.
If you are unsure, read the full art rules here.

will you be entering?

yes!
26%
maybe ??
65%
nope
9%

Total votes : 23

Re: { inklings writing contests } 20 ONE SHOT CHALLENGE

Postby The Pirate Dragon » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:20 am

I'm pretty excited about this challenge! I may try to do it myself.
I'm not really active here anymore. Please don't ask for my pets or OCs!
The Pirate Dragon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

for the uh. song contest

Postby calliopë » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:27 pm

Bitter wind scored all in its path. With ready fangs, winter bit through the last remnant of autumn, silencing it with the fall of the last remaining soldier – a dried leaf, toppling from a broken cedar tree. Washed beneath the fluttering droplets, all composed of a unique structure, never to be formed again, the warmth the sun fought so bravely to provide found a chilly grave. Alaska’s seasons were brief – gone so quickly, one might miss them with a bat of an eye. It was cruel really, to have something dreamt of ripped away so sudden. Those who dared to inhabit the brutal, unforgiven land, however, didn’t seem to mind the recession of brief warmth. They were not foolish enough to dream of its permanence in a place always riddled with cold.

Saiorse Addinell may have not needed the rays of the sun like other beings, but that made it no less of an obvious absence. Of all the opportunities and vices given to her by her peculiar state of body, she had to wonder why, much like the joy of tasty treats had vanished, feeling the extremes of weather had not graced her. It took something absolutely seasoned or spiced for Saiorse to taste through the venom in her saliva – so why, in Apollo’s name, did she have to be susceptible to the cold? Certainly, she still had the limitations of her human body: she had not grown appendages, or extra powers – no, such was fairytale. Even so, these limitations were high above that of the mundane. She could survive far worse than the fragile bones of the meager. Should it not be for the unquenchable desire that lacerated the back of her throat, perhaps being a vampire would not be so grotesque.

Her round face was hardly visible beneath the cover of coat and scarf. Crimson fabrics swaddled the thin woman from head to toe – she’d even managed to slip on wool mittens, despite the restrictions they posed. Aside from a small gap where her silver eyes glared through, she looked as if she were a pole snuggled in a drift of snow. She briefly attributed herself to the sign supposedly marking the farthest point of the Earth – the North Pole. Her eyes narrowed. Perhaps she would like the South Pole better; she would go through warm country to get to that extreme, at least. A long sigh heaved from her chapped lips, dried from the dreaded cold while she ripped the mask from her face in order to speak to the man that had driven her from their cozy cabin in the first place.

Alexander LeRoy, the man that she had – unfortunately, she thought, at this second – walked centuries with. Their story had begun back in a kingdom, lost to the history books. Few remembered the land of Iradel, as it was nothing but a fantasy living in the backs of the minds of feet that touched it. Alexander and Saiorse were two of seven members left alive to recall the fluorescent birth land of the supernatural. A minimal number, compared to the faces Saiorse often struggled to remember. Even so, no matter the unfathomable stretch of time the pair had spent together, the same crooked smile touched his face as the day they’d met. Saiorse found herself wishing she’d burnt it right off of his face a millennia ago.

“This is absolutely ridiculous, Alexander,” she promptly told him, her voice stern and demanding. He knew that tone well. It most often paid him a visit when he forgot to take the trash out and their pet Samoyed dog, Briskly, strew it all over their living room. “What is the point of all of this? I see nothing and it is very cold. I know of a thousand things I would much rather be doing that do not involve being out in a snowstorm.”

All evening Alexander promised her a sweet surprise – usually this involved purchasing her something outlandish (a penguin, for example, for their last anniversary). Most of the time it was accompanied by a feast meant for an entire town, which Saiorse could barely take a bite of. Alexander was not the best of cooks. Admittedly, the ambassador was quite relieved when Alex had walked through their front doors and proclaimed that her adventure could not be purchased or forged – merely, experience. She’d expected a night on the town, ice skating on the newly frozen lake, perhaps even a romantic ride on the ferry.

Not standing in the gusting wind, looking at a bunch of lousy trees.

“That is because you are a stubborn woman and refuse to look any harder than requires of you not to trip over your own shoes.” His words, albeit brash, held a playful tone. Saiorse’s eyes only mimicked the glower of a peregrine whose breakfast had been stolen by a sparrow. It made Alex smile broaden. She was absolutely adorable when she was angry with him.

Saiorse’s hands swept, her coat making a ruckus when her arms flung to the side in exasperation. Her motion was meant to sweep in their surroundings – a small Cliffside, overlooking the town of Anchorage. They had taken refuge here, when called upon by an old friend – Khodai – to protect someone he loved. Long ago, Saiorse and Alexander had vowed to remove themselves from such pleadings, but the blundering man held a special place in Saiorse’s heart. Upon his request for assistance, Saiorse had not hesitated to agree.

It was unfortunate that she had not asked precisely where Khodai’s trouble lay.

Saiorse’s jaw unhinged to continue her rant, but a large roll of his eyes and a ‘shush’ made her teeth click together with a blunt snap. Hot breath flew from her nostrils, curving like angry smoke from a dragon. Alex, smiling once more, turned his back to her at the risk of following punishment. Saiorse’s toes curled inside of her snow-soaked boots. He walked away from her, his step happy and full of impatience. She thought his strides were meant to carry him right over the edge of the plateau – but he ducked beneath the shelter of a tree prior to his tumble. Impatience burned a hole through her chest.

When he returned, Saiorse was not sure what the object he held happened to be – not until he deposited at the end of the cliff, striding right back for her with a sly, cunning grin that overpowered even the northern lights shimmering over their heads.

“No,” Saiorse gasped, backpedaling.

“Oh,” Alex chuckled. “Yes.”

“Get away from me!” Saiorse shrieked, her voice betraying the control she attempted over her terror.

“Come now, little monster,” Alex teased, eyes glinting. “You can’t possibly be scared of an activity children enjoy.”

“You have lost your mind, Alexander,” Saiorse hyperventilated. Were her eyes filling with tears? Brilliant.

There was not much left in the world for the vampire to fear – aside from heights. No matter how many times Saiorse was faced with the decision to leap or surely-face-a-horrid-death, she could not force herself over the edge. There was something about plummeting into uncertainty that was strong enough to stand the test of time. That being said, there was no way – no matter what was done to her – the brunette would ride a sled off the tallest overlook in the whole of Alaska.

Their chase was unseen by the normal eye – she’d made it halfway back to their home before a human could have comprehended that she’d gone. Even so, Alexander was a tricky boy – and so he had his wife clasped in his chaining arms long before she had a chance for escape. Kicking, squealing, wailing curses in a language dead on the tongues of humans for ages, Saiorse was transported back to the rickety platform meant to serve her death – or so she was convinced, anyway. Teeth sank through Alexander’s hands. He hissed, but squinted one eye, holding on to his squirming lady, no matter her fuss.

Somehow, Alex managed to plop onto his sled – built by himself, thank you very much. He dropped her between his legs, his arms and thighs serving as inescapable traps that bound her to him. With struggle, Alex rocked back and forth, scooting the sloppily built deck closer to the slope. His shoulders bobbed, his eyes squeezed shut with his humor as Saiorse’s wails only grew higher in pitch the closer they grew to the edge. The fronts of the legs peeked over the edge and with a final shove, they were off.

Her scream found death when she buried her face into the crook of his arms, both hands shooting to dig into his kneecaps. Alex bit his tongue, flinching with the fire that her grasp brought. He held her tighter, pressing her back to his chest as they began their descent, flying down the slope like a bullet straight from the barrel. It took him little than a moment to squeal with happiness. All efforts were forced into keeping himself from throwing his hands in the air, lest he desire a swift end from the hands of his wife.

Clutching at a frayed rope attached to his invention, Alex watched, his lips pulling into a cheeky, prideful grin. They reached a small turn, marked by a flag that he’d placed there early that day in his preparation. Once past, Alex turned his rope gently. The sled skidded across the snow as he’d planned it would (testing inventions are for ninnies – and Alexander LeRoy is in fact, not a ninny). The sled carried them smoothly to the right, delving into a canopied path, protected by the arms of trees.
      It took all of his strength to pry Saiorse’s quivering face from the shield of his arm – but the moment he brought her eyes to view their road, Saiorse’s fear fell prey to awe.

For as far as she could see, lights hung over the naked arms of the trees. Glass bottles of all different colors dotted the winter wonderland, casting colors Saiorse hadn’t known existed over the blanket of white covering their trek. All along the sides of their journey, different formations composed of ice and snow sat. A dog, baring the same features of their own pet, a bunny, a giraffe (Saiorse’s favorite animal). Even two snowman giving each other a hug. Saiorse’s grip over Alexander’s legs relaxed, followed by the rest of her body. Alex’s grasp over her transformed to a protective armor, to a sweet embrace.

As the trees began to thin, the stoop leveled. It arched up, slowing the sled significantly, until they crested over a very small hill, carrying them calmly to a patch that Alexander had cleared. Silence fell over the woman is arms while the sled lurched to a simple halt.

“Alex,” she finally said, her voice void.

His lips pursed briefly. Had she not enjoyed herself?

“Yes, love?”

Silence.

“Can we go again?”

calliopë

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

--

Postby watermelon. » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:47 am

loving all of the entries <3 contest #2 ends tomorrow, please be sure to get your entries in asap! (pm me if you have any special circumstances but would like to enter? i may consider extending the date)

anyone who is entering the 20-one shots, make sure to link your thread so we can keep track! also - this is just a little thing, but coding your entries would be extremely nice on my eyes. i find the normal size text hard to read (i prefer small), but it's your choice. and lastly, be sure to give us updates once in a while.
Last edited by watermelon. on Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
watermelon.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:06 pm

How should we code them? You mean like make them bigger/center them?
I was gonna update when I got half-way through, but I'm on Nine right now!

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby calliopë » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:58 am

good luck everyone!
lovers
into friends
━ ━ ━ ━ ━ ━ ━ ━ ━ ━ ━ ━ ━
[ cali ] [ she/her ] [ writer ]
i make stories i guess
moderator on advanced scribes
━ ━ ━ ━ ━ ━ ━ ━ ━ ━ ━ ━ ━

move on
TO STRANGERS !
calliopë

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:56 am

I'm on the last five of the 20 one shot. How's everyone else doing?

Done!

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FaerieBoy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:59 pm

This appears to be dead. Out of curiosity, is it possible to conclude the two contests? I don't mean to be a pest, I'm just curious who won.
FaerieBoy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

--

Postby watermelon. » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:13 am

hello it's the world's worst contest thread ownder here to announce the winners of the contests c: i am so sorry this has taken so long, life is rough sometimes.

first of all, our ongoing 20-one shots challenge was completed by TheSongOfTheStars! so they will win our first prize. as for second place i don't believe anyone ever made it, but if you did (or if you plan on doing it) please pm me and i can get the prizes to you - i'll probably be taking it off the front page so if you are interested make sure you get to me quick.

as for the song contest that i should have judged 4 months ago -
    1st place: astorëa!
    2nd place: Insane Snuggles!

it was very interesting to see all of your different styles of writing and the kinds of music you like. everyone did a wonderful job! i wish everyone could win, but there's always a next time! a new contest will be posted soon, and prizes will be distributed as well. if you see this and you were a winner but haven't recieved your prize yet, please know that it's probably my laptop being ridiculous (this post took way longer than it should have).
watermelon.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: { inklings writing contests } WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:33 am

Aweeesooome!! I got my prize, thanks Mel!!!

TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: { inklings writing contests } NEW CONTEST

Postby calliopë » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:54 pm

Great job everyone!! I really enjoyed reading over everything <3 you're all such talented writers!
calliopë

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me