We need your feedback: Bigger, less frequent pound openings?

Put your most valuable pets, items or C$ up for auction and see how high the bidding will go!

Should we have bigger, less frequent pound openings?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:26 am

Yes - increase pound size to 1800 pets and open 1.7 times per day
35%
No - keep pound size at 1300 pets and open 2.4 times per day
65%

Total votes : 3234

Re: We need your feedback: Bigger, less frequent pound openi

Postby AncientEldritch » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:16 am

Buster2918 wrote:
avaloafe wrote:keep the bot. i’m not chronically online all the time and cannot continuously check this website. i am an adult with a house and full time job, so i love being reminded automatically when it’s close to the pound opening. AND the lost and found for that matter. i’m only on this site these days for pet collection. i’m sure a lot of others are too. there’s nothing wrong with coming on just for the pound, and then logging off again. there’s absolutely no harm in that. :) the pound bot does literally NOTHING besides give reminders (which is also good for banners during events) and give an image of what rare+ pets are in the next opening. that is something EVERYONE can do by looking at the pounds profile and viewing pets ^^

you also CANT ban the bot. it isn’t made by CS admins/apart of CS in a way. it’s made by an individual user. so even if cs mods take away being able to see the next pet opening, the bot will still remind us that it’s opening soon. :3

I agree that the bot (if it just gives notifications) should stay- and like you said, it would be impossible or very difficult to prevent any and all bots from doing something such as notifying users of pound openings and such. Idk much about the bot being spoken about, as I just set timers on my phone, but if it's not a bot on site snatching pets at the speed of light with some sort of coding, I do not see a problem. It is not cheating or exploiting. These users are just putting in more effort than the average player by being efficient with their time and should not have this harmless option stripped away from them to be forced to check the site. I check the site every once in a while, but I'm not going to be refreshing more than 3-10 times a day for the pound. I have far more to worry about in my daily life, and in a world where technology and automation is becoming more and more advanced, it's efficient to embrace it so long as it's not an exploit. (I mean, that's efficient too, but it would be against the rules for sure.)

Exactly. It's not like the bot is being gatekept from anyone, it's available to everyone through a discord group. I'm an adult that works full time and I love being able to use discord to check the time and set a reminder for the pound.

Slight tangent, I'm also seeing a lot of accusations of scripting and botting being used to grab pets and literally no evidence being provided. I'm in two large chicken smoothie discord users and have never seen any evidence of anyone cheating, everyone has varying luck and those with better 'luck' are typically just the people who can identify rares quicker.

AncientEldritch on Toyhou.se and Deviantart!

I love sending gifts and live for Halloween and Holibombs, though I use any holiday as an excuse to send random gifts.

Come hang out in the Chicken Smoothie Discord Server~
AncientEldritch

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Darkcloud! » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:50 am

AncientEldritch wrote:
Exactly. It's not like the bot is being gatekept from anyone, it's available to everyone through a discord group. I'm an adult that works full time and I love being able to use discord to check the time and set a reminder for the pound.

Users 13 and under should not be on discord. In some areas the minimum age for discord is 15/16. The bot is solely a tool for adults. No one is owed rares.... or every pound opening.

semi-active, missed years 2012 and 2013 entirely- about halfway to catching up!
Looking to complete years 2011, 2014-16 and 2021-23!
Darkcloud!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AncientEldritch » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:25 am

Darkcloud! wrote:
AncientEldritch wrote:

Users 13 and under should not be on discord. In some areas the minimum age for discord is 15/16. The bot is solely a tool for adults. No one is owed rares.... or every pound opening.

Who said anyone was owed rares??

AncientEldritch on Toyhou.se and Deviantart!

I love sending gifts and live for Halloween and Holibombs, though I use any holiday as an excuse to send random gifts.

Come hang out in the Chicken Smoothie Discord Server~
AncientEldritch

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nicnova » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:32 am

Darkcloud! wrote:
AncientEldritch wrote:

As someone with ADHD, without the pound bot I'd literally never catch the pound ever again :lol:
██ ▌
██ ▌
██ ▌
██ ▌
██ ▌
██ ▌
██ ▌
██ ▌
██ ▌
██ ▌
██ ▌
██ ▌
██ ▌
██ ▌
██ ▌
───────────────────────────────
❝This world is made of...love and peace!❞
█████████████████████
┌────────────── [ ✰ ] ─┐
Hi! I'm Nico, feel free to message me
if you have any CS questions.
FR - Auction - trade? - ©
└─ [ ✰ ] ──────────────┘
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

────────────────────────────
⤷. WANTED: VASH THE STAMPEDE
────────────────────────────
DEAD or ALIVE
𝟞𝟘,𝟘𝟘𝟘,𝟘𝟘𝟘,𝟘𝟘𝟘.𝟘𝟘 $$

━━━━━━━━━━━--━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┈┈┈ ┈ ┈ ⤴︎
████████████████████████████████
Nicnova

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyca » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:42 am

Darkcloud! wrote:
AncientEldritch wrote:

That's not the fault of anyone operating the pound bot though. They didn't make up COPPA laws. The pound bot isn't harmful in any way, other than I guess to people who refuse to use it? LOL
Black Lives Matter
AlishaIV is my roommate!
We trade sometimes and
share a computer/IP address!

Check out all
my dressed up
pound catches!

My trade thread!

January 19th is my birthday : )
I collect pets with that date!

Pyca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Grey Stuff » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:20 am

Darkcloud! wrote:
AncientEldritch wrote:

Look, being real here, if you’re 13 or under you have way more time than an adult to be constantly checking the Pound and setting timers or whatever so I’m gonna go out on a limb and say it evens out.
▐ █
▐ █
▐ █
▐ █
▐ █
GREY - THEY/AE - CHRISTIAN

I'm genderfluid and so my secondary
pronoun may change, but my primary
pronoun will always be "they." Thx!

WRITER - LINGUIST - SUBTITLER

FlightRising
Pride PLUS
Pronouns Pg

𝗦𝗘𝗘𝗞𝗜𝗡𝗚:

The Grey Stuff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aaron✦ » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:25 am

If admins felt that the pound bot were an exploit or against our rules, it would be removed. If you'd like to make a suggestion regarding it please use the suggestions board - otherwise please try to kind to everyone and stay on topic to the question at hand regarding the size of openings. :)

x
x

[
x
x

1 pet to go!icon
need help?guidesfor newbies

he/xey - no they/them
Image Image Image

x
x

]
Aaron✦
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ButterflyChaser » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:09 am

Just saying the last two or three times have been very disappointing for me.

I will appear at the 60 second countdown and when it hits 1 second, the page will stall to load for a good 4 to 5 seconds min. It goes from 1000+ to 600 pets within two refreshes.

Today I saw a wishlist pet and even though it did not have the "already taken" tag on it I clicked and it did nothing. I clicked 3 times and then got the already taken message and directed back to the pound when I kept refreshing hoping for pets before 2022 and ended up having to settle on a pet from March of this year.
Looking for: Halloween 2019 pets. I have tokens but missed the trade in times due to no internet access the end of October.
ButterflyChaser

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sm06sm » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:54 am

I just don’t really see how changing the pound size is going to help unfortunately. Especially for us adults. I’m doing good if I can make it to a single opening in 1 day with the way it is set up. I can see the appeal of just increasing the number of pets, but ultimately I don’t think that would extend the opening very long. I think it was a good thought, but I’m not convinced the change would help.

I do appreciate the attempt at sorting out the pound, I just don’t think an increase in pets and a decrease in openings is the solution!
sm06sm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Radiowlet » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:01 am

just caught up on this thread. seeing a lot of suggestions that sound good but a few i really dont like (please dont make the pound totally blindly random. being given no choice in the matter would just make things way less fun.)

personally i'm mostly indifferent to the pound's next adopt pool being visible, because I didn't know it was a thing you could do before this thread, so it wouldn't affect me much, but now that i do know it's an option i do like that that's there, and would prefer it stay that way, but i wouldn't be terribly upset if it were removed. if it is kept, i think making it more clear that that's an option would be a good idea, seeing as from this thread alone it's clear that isn't common knowledge.

i also don't get why so many people are acting like it's bad or wrong for older, more experienced players to have an advantage. that's just inherent to how games like this work. someone who's spent more time on something will naturally have an advantage. yes, games like this should be newbie-friendly, but they don't need to be catered to to the point of a near-100% balance. you play the game, you learn tips and tricks, you get rewarded for the time you put in. it's not realistic to expect for everyone to be able to play at the same amount of optimization whether they've been playing for 10 days or 10 years. that's what guides are for.
in my opinion the pound existing at all is pretty newbie-friendly on its own, the supply of older pets isn't just limited to who was around years ago and who already has the means to trade for em. everyone gets a random chance. people are saying rng doesn't need fairness, i think the rng is fairness. everyone has the same equal shot to get what they want, whether that's something rare, something off their WL, or something they just think looks nice.

i'm saying this as a recently returned older player who, experience-wise, is functionally still a pretty newish player. i was under 13 and knew NOTHING of the economy back when I played in 2017, and I'm struggling to get a grasp on things now. i came back to an account full of 2016-2017ish pets, which gave me lots of good trading fodder (stuff that was just uncommon at best back then, mostly common, but has naturally gone up over the passing of time and the updated rarity tag system), but i still had to learn (and still am learning!) how to trade effectively and what pets are worth what. i also personally haven't and will never bother to memorize the appearance of every single old/high value pet on the off chance that I see one in the pound. i never wouldve guessed there were people that did that, i admire the dedication but i could never lol.

i do agree with the person who earlier on said that people need to stop seeing the pound as a rare dispenser and that it's not made for that. I understand that the pound is one of the only ways newer players can get rares, but that's a symptom of a bigger problem with the site's economy rather than a cause to change the pound to cater to getting rares often. the idea of a second dec 18th-like event is very appealing to me and i feel like would be a great help. more ways in general for newer (or returning but inexperienced, like me) players to get rare pets would be good.
(also, back in 2017, i never got a single rare from the pound. but i've gotten multiple since i came back to the game at the start of this year. so if the goal is to make rares more accessible specifically via the pound, then either I just had terrible luck as a kid or there has been significant improvement on that front.)
the pound certainly has room for improvement, but the pound specifically not being a reliable source of rares is not the problem.

also ftr a discord bot pinging when the pound opens is functionally the same as setting a timer to tell you personally when it's opening. itd be silly to ban that. im not in any cs servers so i have no horse in that race but itd be silly i think.
call me radio !! she/it pronouns, queer furry artist. i'm a returning old player who's gotten pulled back into the game. i'm always open for trades!

formerly XxnightpeltTFM. i've done a lot of flight rising/chickensmoothie crosstrading, any references to that username are referring to me! my flight rising username is finchsplash.
Radiowlet

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me