Character Adoption Addicts Anonymous v.26 Summer Event

Join or create fan clubs about your favorite things!

Re: Character Adoption Addicts Anonymous v.26

Postby Sunlitsecrets » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:38 am

Wow, new thread! Very exciting <3

To start it off, I'll ask everyone a few questions.
Code: Select all
[b]How do you go about designing characters? What do you start with? Colors, a personality?[/b]
[b]What's your favorite name for a character you've ever seen? (Yours, or someone else's)[/b]
[b]Show me a character of yours from an unusual species! Something besides feline and canine. Like, does anyone have any mice?[/b]
--------------
my characters!
-infj, hufflepuff
-traditional artist
ImageImage

Sunlitsecrets

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kaerou » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:01 am

How do you go about designing characters? What do you start with? Colors, a personality?
    I love to start with a color palette first (I usually pick out the colors from a song that I really like- the colors usually come from the mood of the song or I just imagine what the song would "look like," if that makes sense).
    What's your favorite name for a character you've ever seen? (Yours, or someone else's)
    From my characters, my favorite name would probably be Kalispel. I just love the name so much?? There's not really a reason why I love it, but I just adore the sound of it and it's meaning. It's a Salish word meaning "flat land above the lake." I also love NARANDA's names for all of her characters tbh. All of their names are so unique and they're fitting to the character! I especially love Hiroyuki and Reika's names. Again, they're so fitting to the character and I just feel like I can "understand" their characters through their names.

Code: Select all
    [b]What's your favorite color palette for a character?[/b]
    [b]Do you have any characters whose personalities are based off of someone you know irl?[/b]
    [b]Compared to last year, have you increased or decreased your character family?[/b]

And to answer my questions:
    What's your favorite color palette for a character?
    My favorite color palette would probably be neutral, soft browns, greys, yellows (like Luna and Kalispel). I do like occasional dark red-ish colors, like Caeli's.
    Do you have any characters whose personalities are based off of someone you know irl?
    I actually don't right now, but I used to.
    Compared to last year, have you increased or decreased your character family?
    Like my post last year, I've been fairly consistent. I don't think that I've increased but I've decreased by a few characters- which I'm quite pleased with.

I'm looking for some HQ characters!
    I have some list pets, including: UR Bee, Hollyfox Dog, Cake Dog, etc! Please PM me with offers.
kaerou

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Discordia » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:35 am

How do you go about designing characters? What do you start with? Colors, a personality? Usually personality, but sometimes I just doodle until I come up with something that I really like :3
What's your favorite name for a character you've ever seen? (Yours, or someone else's) Ugh, I'm so bad with names! I really like the name Annewyne, which was an old character of mine. I really should revamp her now that I think of that.
Show me a character of yours from an unusual species! Something besides feline and canine. Like, does anyone have any mice? So I don't own this one anymore, I sold it to someone (honestly, I don't remember who- if you own it please let me know so i can update my records, since I try to keep track of who I gave things to) But i figured this might count since I drew this picture as well as designed the character. She's an otter
I really have to make some other species characters, feeling slightly inspired now from all these questions.

I'm just gonna edit this in here since I posted so recently. Did this little winter-y doodlebob of Juliet today:
Not the most quality thing I've drawn but I thought it was cute
Last edited by Discordia on Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

░░░░░░░░░░░░
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
coding Deviantart Art Shop TH link
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
I'm likely just a figment of
your imagination
Always happy to talk about characters

text text text text text text text text
text text text text text text text text

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
░░░░░░░░░░░░

━━━━━━━━━━━━━

══════════════════

━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Discordia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leverage » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:41 am

@Sunlitsecrets Thank you so much for posting such awesome questions! Also, I know I didn't comment on your post of art on the last thread, but it's been really great to see how your art has improved! I've always been a huge fan of your art style, and I can definitely see that you've been working at it <3
      @starblush Thank you for the questions as well, and best of luck purchasing a new character or two!
      @Discordia An otter is a pretty unique species, and that's a nice design!

---------------------------------

How do you go about designing characters? What do you start with? Colors, a personality?
      I'll be honest, it's pretty rare that I design characters-- I don't tend to have much confidence in my own creativity when it comes to designing. When I do design, I generally start with a concept, such as a species and a theme, and go from there-- for example, I have a really cool idea for a griffon right now using some less commonly seen species, and one of these days I'll get around to actually experimenting with a design. Sometimes, however, I start out with a name, strangely enough!

What's your favorite name for a character you've ever seen? (Yours, or someone else's)
      I'll be honest, as soon as you ask me to remember names, I blank completely. I'm also pretty strange with naming my own characters- some have really meaningful or interesting names, such as Nalani, a winged harpist who plays in the court of the wind deity whose name means "serenity of the skies". Others have much less meaningful names, like a bobcat who I referred to as "that dude' so many times while trying to decide on a name that now he's just named Dude.

Show me a character of yours from an unusual species! Something besides feline and canine. Like, does anyone have any mice?
      I have some characters of more interesting species! Alas, no mice, but I do have Khan [designed by me], a demon snake, as well as Kalei [designed by Coyotesoot on DA], a wyvern, and Vartouhi [designed by AzureSoleiL], a dragon of sorts.

I can't say that I have a single favorite color palette, though I do have some general trends I really enjoy-- I'm realizing now I have a number of characters who are made up of light greys. I love greys and browns, and other natural colors such as creams.

Do you have any characters whose personalities are based off of someone you know irl?
      I can't say that I do!

As expected, I have increased my characters count. I'm pretty bad that way honestly.

-------------------------------

While I have a lot I would like to share over time, I'm going to limit myself before this thread gets too long---

I received some amazing art from treeiights/treelights

Magni, who was designed by Resolute

Kivulu, who was designed by deadove on DA
leverage

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lowpolypony » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:44 am

How do you go about designing characters? What do you start with? Colors, a personality? I start with a basic description (personality, traits, physical description, interests/abilities), then move to designing after i have a good grasp on who they are
What's your favorite name for a character you've ever seen? (Yours, or someone else's) do cartoon names count ? because skeletor is the best name ever
Show me a character of yours from an unusual species! Something besides feline and canine. Like, does anyone have any mice?
Image this is my mermoo vincent, designed by emmigator. there are new lines now but i havent paid for a transfer yet. his palette is the colors of the nonbinary flag.
What's your favorite color palette for a character? i love pastels; mint, pastel yellow, and pastel pink make a lovely pallet. but i also love black with dark red and/or dark green.
Do you have any characters whose personalities are based off of someone you know irl? hmm... i have a "bully" character and i suppose he is based off of my bullies from middle and high school in general.
Compared to last year, have you increased or decreased your character family? oh boy i have SO many more characters. last year i had.. hmm.... three transformers characters, and five elf oc's, and i think that was it!! i have SO many now!
NAACP Legal Defense Fund
please read my rules before sending a trade
lowpolypony

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Malleus » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:42 am

Oohh that new thread smell!

I usually prefer blues and silvers, so characters like Oritsu, Alo, and Hokori are exactly my type of palette!

I mean both Oritsu and Hokori were customs anyways so that was my doing in the first place--

A whole bunch of them, if I were to get into technicalities, are based off people I know. But in terms of the characters outside of those technicalities, a few of my characters will take elements from people I know ( Hakaze, for example, takes quite a few things from my boyfriend ) while others will take a few elements from me ( Alo and Azaria both, though different elements of me ).

Increased, and I've been trying to decrease it back down to absolutely no avail--

Also I really wanna get out of my art slump and work on stuff I owe, but I can't seem to kick myself to do anything really productive quite yet so I'm throwing these out there again since YCHs require less from me and maybe I can in fact, kick myself--

I also need motivation to work on transferring things to toyhouse. One day. One day...

@ leverage Man treelights art is always so gorgeous ;A; Both those pieces are amazing!
@ Discordia Aww that doodle is really cute! And that otter character is cool! I adore otters!
@ starblush You're welcome to look through my characters and see if anything catches your eye!

Malleus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby L0TUS » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:53 am

@starblush Thank you for the questions, and good luck with your search for characters!
@Discordia - Don't see many otter characters around ;v; That gal has such a pretty design!
@leverage - Congrats on the art—it's absulutely stunning. I'll definitely check that artist out!

When designing characters, I usually start with a color palette, then I determine what the character will do, and based off of that, I add markings and accessories. Once I've finished designing it, I give it a backstory, personality, etc.

Honestly, I don't really give my characters 'human' names—I usually give them simpler/more natural names, and/or names that have meanings behind them. Some of my favorite simple names are Nyx, Juniper, and Eclipse. I rarely give my characters meaningful names, though.

Oh boy, I have a few unusual characters. I have a skunk, seal, kangaroo rat, goat, and Honduran white bat. I'm also working on a ton of new characters (because I don't need/want any more dogs/cats), including a badger, wolverine, bear, chameleon, possum, raccoon, sugar glider, brush-tailed possum, binturong, pine marten, toucan, cow, Gila monster, snail, sheep, chinchilla, hawk, and a flamingo. They're all works in progress right now.
Here's a picture of my goat; she doesn't have a name yet. Art & design by Ittam.
image.png
image.png (46.9 KiB) Viewed 292 times

Yesterday, I received this custom bat character from castlevania on here/Sadbuhu on dA. I already love him so much. <3 I'm currently looking for art of him and a few other characters. I have a mainlist rat and bunch of rares+ and store pets to give in exchange. Please PM me if you're interested! Thanks!
Last edited by L0TUS on Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
L0TUS

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby shatterhowl » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:07 am

@Squalo - I face the same conundrum with character amount, sometimes I really forget exactly how many characters I've created and developed from scratch to the ones that have somehow come into my care along the way. It's definitely difficult when your unsure who to contact or who would really want to look at your characters sometimes. As for toyhouse, I feel the same way. Shamelessly had a toyhouse account for so long, low-key hasn't taken the time to upload every single character I have. Haven't even made an attempt because uploading takes to much time for many of my characters who have too much art... plus I often mess up too much when I upload. :") Maybe we'll get out wish? One day to upload everything to toyhouse ahaha Also good luck with your YCH, I don't have any anthropomorphic styled characters but if I did I'd absolutely love to order one! It's very pretty <33
      @L0TUS - Oh man, I really have to say that I definitely have to applaud to you. The dedication to diversity in your characters in amazing, I'm going to be 110% honest with you, I didn't know the name of some of the animals despite seeing them in person before. That's really cool that you have a toucan and a binturong! Plus all the other cool animals out there. Also Ittam is just a wonderful designer, I've always loved their designs. They put so much time and effort into each one and you can definitely tell when you look at them that they were designed by them. Their art style is also undoubtable, it's lovely~ <33 Also that custom bat is beautiful, I really love the golden complexion and the gradience in them, it's quite fitting. Good luck with your search~
      @leverage - I can't say I haven't ended up calling one of my characters untitled and not keeping the name because it stuck after taking action but Dude is pretty fun and pretty hilarious I must say so myself. "That Dude" forever lived on it our hearts hahahah! I really like your originality with name creation, it's very clever, good job! Treeiights' artwork is really beautiful, I love the way they shade and line, it's very unique to them for sure. Those pieces were definitely a great catch and another thing those characters are gorgeous. cx
      @Discordia - All I could suggest for seeking out your former character is maybe a reverse search? Maybe you could seek through your messages to if you recall when you let go of her? I don't think I've ever seen her before otherwise from my few years around here. If I was you, I'd seek back in my posts to. You may find some clues detective! <33 Really pretty background in Juliet's piece by the way, the posture reminds me of a scene from a very old movie, the snow is also really cool! Nice work x3c

As for designing characters, I often start with the full character typically, developing their quirks, backstory, likes, mostly everything that would give me prior knowledge needed to design them. I also use a lot natural colors, I'm a huge sucker for warm colors; usually oranges, browns, and reds. Usually I add accents depending on colors I find fitting or sometimes I just keep completely basic colored characters. Usually if I'm designing a character for someone else I ask varieties of questions of what exactly they are looking for, I make sure to ask what they certainly don't want to avoid it. I usually try to give my characters and others atlas three defining traits that are different from others and that's been a goal of mine ever since I've started to design my own and other's characters.

This is certainly a hard one. I really love to name characters and I spend hours and hours finding the most perfect name for my characters in which is fitting or accents their history in depth somehow. Come to think of it, I recently saw the name Mistral or Misty. I had no idea what exactly a mistral was until I searched it up, which it is a wind in upper Europe, it blows northeast. I thought this name was really pretty because it has a ring to it, you could say it many times and it would still have that timbre in the "st". It's a really pretty name and that was the first time I've ever seen something like that used on a character. The name choice is limitless in this world.

I made a brief nod to this early actually. I'm totally a sucker for warm colors, reds, browns, oranges - you name it. I have a serious problem, when I get another character with warm colors I'm usually thinking to myself, Great work, now you have another orange character, another one. I've said this to myself many times, I'm always just so drawn to warm natural palettes. I try to stay far away from neons since I have a tad trouble drawing them due to my eyesight,, [ yes, they do bleed my eyes heh.] but otherwise I really go for any colors but I do have some preferences. I also really appreciate character diversity so if it's a character that's completely striking and very colorful for various reasons, I'd also really like that as well.

Actually, I do this a lot. Lots a my characters allude to personal experiences and memories in my life. Most of my more personal characters are based of myself, my family, and my closest friends. I have many characters dedicated to people I've lost over the years and sometimes to a specific point of time in my own life that I don't want to forget. I often use my character to write new stories while maintaining my own, I try to make everything mean something in my world of characters. Sometimes I even get inspired by the people I meet, usually by the way they live their life or maybe even their enthusiasm.

As always, my character family has actually increased by only so much, I've been recently cutting down on those I couldn't really form the best of connections to but there's still many characters I adore and love that will never, ever be leaving my side. I definitely didn't have much of the characters in my family increase twice it's mass but it's definitely only about a quarter of the characters I've created and received over the time being. I try to stay away from creating more but sometimes I slip with a great idea and I'm inspired to continue with the idea.

A minor/brief reflection of 2017... Personally, I think 2017 was definitely not the height of my activity in years but I definitely spent a lot more time working on other projects rather than public projects with friends and such. I think it was better this way since it gave a lot of diversity in my activity which was very beneficial because I could be much more productive in many aspects. I think 2017 was a good year, a lot happened through out it and often it kept me on my toes. As for art, I really loved to do commissions here and there and sometimes if I ever had the time, I'd draw really relaxing pieces for myself which kept me in a good standpoint for sometime. 2017 was somewhat unique to me, it felt very different compared to my other years around. I'm really happy to be apart of this community and even though I may not seem to be online, or post as much as I used to, please note I'm still here even if so. Thank you for another great year CAAA! <33

Commission-wise, as for saying a warm welcome to the new year, I still have my commissions open and they probably will stay open after the new year but it all really depends. My most recent examples and pieces can typically be seen at the top of the tabs and pages among the site. I'd really love to work on more pieces for others at the moment, (as for most of the time I don't have inspiration to draw other art that's towards myself,)-- Thank you so much for reading and I hope you have a splendid day! Also, the piece below was a commission from Mayadabanana on DA, they are pretty awesome and really friendly! You should totally check them out <33

I'm really proud of the shading on this piece and the lighting I think it really compliments the character (Mayadabanana's Tojiba)

I'm actually seeking out maybe a few more characters to end off the year strong, I'm really interested in anything that is an individualistic in it's own way but I'll look at mostly anything that's feral or possibly humanoid based. I'll also look at unique species but I'm in no way interested in closed species. I can offer art and probably more characters, also the remainder of my items on my CS account if your interested in that. Though, I'll look at anything! Feel free to hit me up in a PM,,,

( super-sorry for the long post! wanted to post something larger due to my activity)
shatterhowl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ki-neko animura » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:36 am

@shatterhowl - gorgeous art!!! Congrats on it!
@lotus - that goat is adorable! You really don’t see many of them!!
@lev - I love that art. That second piece is gorgeous.

Hey all so I am going to look at offers for my characters. I don’t know why I am just in the mood to oook at offers.
I will take
Points/usd
Characters (love felines)
Art
List pets

Characters for sure for sale here - https://sta.sh/220wxwlhmka1?edit=1
My mains - https://sta.sh/2puxx5smgjf?edit=1

Pm me if interested!!
ki-neko animura

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby paper planets » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:38 am

usually, I pick a colour palette first. I just find them off of google or sometimes I find a picture or take a picture and make my own colour palette. if I'm going for a more realistic design, I'll get a picture of the animal I'm doing and take the colours from that.

Ahh.. That's hard. I really love it when characters get odd or just cute names. Like Thunder or Bird. Usually I can't seem to pull it off, but it's worked for a few of my characters. I have a German Sheoherd character who's name is actually Delilah, but is mostly called by her nickname, Ducky. Then, I have a dog character with a leaf on his head named Sprout and my fursona is named Mink, which is probably my favourite name I've come up with c:
    I also love star/outer space inspired names, just because I love the stars and all that. for example, I have a character named Mimas and Mimas is the name of one of Jupiter's moons.

I have a baby rat character named Pip! He is inspired by my little pet rat I had who sadly died when he was only five weeks old. I was super sad when he died, so it helps that he lives on in a character. C,:

I love brown colour palettes. Anything with browns and a dull green or blue or even a bright colour is great for me.

Ah.. I only really have my fursona based off of me

Decreased. I realized that I was just a neglecting a lot of my characters, so I picked the ones I really loved and the ones that meant a lot I me and kept those. And it feels so much better. I always felt stressed before, about keeping up with all of my characters, now I only have a handful to worry about and it's not even worrisome when I truly enjoy drawing and developing them. C:
paper planets

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me