Voltron: Legendary Defender » Fanclub V1

Join or create fan clubs about your favorite things!

Re: VLD Fanclub | S8 Dec. 14th

Postby Alfor » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:31 pm

I disagree that the canon Adashi ship is queerbaiting. You have to remember that their hands were tied from all sides and they had to push extremely hard just to get a canon gay couple in the first place. To my understanding they had very little control regarding it. When you are working for a company like dreamworks, you have to go through MULTIPLE groups of people to get approval for certain things. Going ahead with something despite the big boss saying "no" is a career death sentence when it comes to entertainment.

The entertainment industry is a giant and complicated web. There's a lot of things that go on behind the scenes we may never hear about, or things the big guys don't want us to know. This includes lots of unfair stuff such as potential homophobia from the company the show is tied to. Even if the producers of the show don't agree with it, they have to follow what THEIR boss says, or they're fired and their show is cancelled. Dreamworks gets the final say. Not the Voltron crew. I would not be surprised in the least if Adam was killed off because Dreamworks demanded it.

EDIT: And while I do agree that they could've handled the ship better, I'm giving them the benefit of a doubt. We rarely get representation in the media to begin with. They had limited options and did the best they could, even if they stumbled a bit along the way. People are obsessed with perfection to the point where if its not perfect on the first try, they blow things way out of proportion and throw a massive fit over it... which is exactly what a huge portion of the fandom did. I understand being upset, because you have a right to be upset, but the overall fallout of Season 7 (especially regarding the Adashi ship) was extremely unhealthy and alarmingly violent.

Not perfect =/= queerbaiting.

Gay characters don't NEED to be in a relationship in order for our representation to be valid.
Alfor

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby werewolfisms » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:20 am

I agree 100%.

I saw someone awhile ago when season 7 first came out who was talking about coming out to their family with it, but was discouraged by Adam's death, and I'm not trying to hate on them but they shouldn't have been
They should have said "That man is gay, but he still risked his life for earth like many others! He's strong and capable, and he isn't different from anyone else. He doesn't have a huge label on his uniform saying "THIS MAN IS GAY" but he still is. He's just like the other members of his crew, and he died just like the rest." Or something hella empowering,, sorry for rambling??
werewolfisms

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Endlessechoes » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:13 am

I agree, however I am a little skeptical because of She-Ra's release. She-Ra is guaranteed to be loaded with lgbt content and it's er.. under Dreamworks. That's why I'm a bit iffy on the whole thing, because there's a lot of places She-Ra could go with lgbt+ yet it seems Voltron is held back even though they're both under dw. However, as Alfor said I'm sure there's a ton of business that goes on behind stage we don't know about, so I'm sure there's a reason for that.

echo | she/her | ily
TOEW | stars | 🍃 |
adhd consumes me daily
send me a trade or else i kiss u
Endlessechoes

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Alfor » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:01 pm

Yeah that part is a bit confusing tbh. Its possible that the backlash they got regarding Voltron's lgbt+ rep is potentially playing a part in it, but we'll never know for certain. The overall situation is confusing for anyone who isn't working for Dreamworks and doesn't know what is happening behind closed doors. At the end of the day we just gotta remember that they're human too. Nothing is ever truly perfect. The best they can do is learn from the mistakes they made, and work on producing better representation for minority groups. Threatening them and causing riots in the fandom won't help with that. I still don't understand why some fans thought (or still think) its a good idea to send nasty messages to the VAs, producers, etc. They are people with feelings just like us.

Speaking of She-ra, I really wanted to get into it but the fandom is really nasty right now. A lot of the toxic voltron fans moved over there, and its easy to tell because they keep comparing She-ra to Voltron when they're two completely different shows. I usually don't mind comparisons (I love them actually), but people are doing it for the sole purpose of going "this show is better!" and essentially gaslight anyone who still loves Voltron. It makes no sense. If you hate Voltron that much, stop talking about it? Move on and focus on what you like? Its not that hard to stop pestering everyone who still likes the show. Enjoy your show in peace and let us to do the same.

Anyone using tumblr, or other medias that use tags, might have to blacklist quite a few tags for a while. It sucks, but that's the only way to avoid the toxic behavior going around. Don't beat yourself up if you feel like you need to block a few blogs too. Again, there's nothing wrong with weeding out the toxicity in your feed or preventing toxic people from interacting with you. You don't deserve to have nasty people having a go at you over fictional people in a fictional world.
Alfor

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby JillianC » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:14 pm

Are you up to date || Not yet.
Favorite Character || Shiro
Favorite Paladin || Space Dad
Favorite Lion || Blue
Your Ships || KLANCE and Kolivan/Antok
Other || Sam is my spirit animal
JillianC

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Endlessechoes » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:22 pm

Ahh welcome both of you! Some more fellow Klance shippers <3

echo | she/her | ily
TOEW | stars | 🍃 |
adhd consumes me daily
send me a trade or else i kiss u
Endlessechoes

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Alfor » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:42 pm

Hello and welcome to the club!

@ Jeremy - huge agree, young alfor is cute. but also reckless. zarkon probably wanted to break his neck more times than he could count.
    he finally got his wish one day lol
Alfor

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby chlorophyll » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:49 pm

why hello new peoples to our cult club!

i have no idea who antok is but personally i'm more for krolia/kolivan (krolivan?)
𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐦𝐞,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----venn / veee / leafy | agenderflux | they / he
----inactive for the most part sorry!
----sometimes i miss oekaki too much tho
----------------------------------------------------
𝐢 '𝐦 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐚 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐯𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐭𝐨𝐥𝐝!
--------------------♪ ♫ ♬ (flash warning) --------------------------------------
chlorophyll

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Alfor » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:26 pm

I think Antok is the blade member who has a tail? I mean some of them have tails, but he was one of the more prominent/main blade members we saw in an earlier season. Haggar/Honerva killed him.
Alfor

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Endlessechoes » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:39 pm

Antok was hella cute ngl

echo | she/her | ily