Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Art Q&A | Got an art question? by Error

Artist Error [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour, 8 minutes
Drawing sessions 2
29 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

by Error

by Error

Art Q&A | Got an art question?

Postby Error » Mon May 27, 2024 5:44 am

I might have an art answer!

Years ago, when I first started out as an artist on here, an artist I looked up to offered to help anyone with their art questions. I still think of that moment fondly and thought “hey! Maybe I can do the same thing now?”
    So yeah! If you have any art related questions or need help figuring something out. Feel free to ask!

You’re welcome to color in the drawing to show exactly what you want help with. Then you can add me and I’ll make up a little tutorial for you!

Basic Info
    • I’m drawing on here using my iPad Pro and Apple Pencil.
    • You do not need a tablet to draw. While it can simplify things, I recall seeing some pretty amazing artists who used trackpads and mice.
    • Oekaki doesn’t work well for drawing with only your fingers. It acts funky.

Answered Art Questions

How do you shade?

How to draw backgrounds/landscapes?

Answered iPad/Apple Pencil Questions

Oekaki Behavior and Pencil Use

Why does the Pen Pressure Doesn’t Work with Apple Pencil?
      possibly causes include:
    • The circle next to the brush size isn’t filled. When selected/filled in the pen pressure should activate.
    • Safari Browser is the only one that has worked for me.
    • Only Draw setting needs to be turned on in the Apple Pencil setting. (Pencil will only be used for drawing.)
Last edited by Error on Mon May 27, 2024 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Error

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Art Q&A | Got an art question?

Postby Infohazard » Mon May 27, 2024 6:09 am

This is so nice of you!
May I ask how you shade?
TH/Artfight
He/Him

Not doing well, art will be very slow
Infohazard

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ophanimera » Mon May 27, 2024 6:52 am

I had a few questions about what it's like to use an iPad!

- Does iPad have pen pressure on Oekaki?
- In order to use iPad with Oekaki, do you also have to use a touch-rejecting glove?
- What are your most common difficulties with using Oekaki on iPad?
bats // it/its // adult

formerly rainboxys
discord @ somnacanth
ophanimera everywhere else

commission TOS

ophanimera

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby arcadia. » Mon May 27, 2024 7:04 am

would you recommend an Apple Pencil for iPad? is it worth it? or is there another crayon/stylus you have used in the past and have liked?

also any tips for drawing landscapes?

thank you if you get to my question!

───── ❝ the sea said goodbye to the shore
    so the sun wouldn't notice ─────xxx
    e + she her + artist + omam
    currently reading:
    down among the sticks and bones

arcadia.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Fawntura » Mon May 27, 2024 9:31 am

Background/landscapes? How do you go about those? I can never figure them out myself and they completely scare me!
╭━━━━━━━━╮

𐂃
𐂃
𐂃
𐂃
𐂃
𐂃
𐂃

╰━━━━━━━━╯

Hi You can call me Fawn or Ace! I currently own VW's & NSW's!
My DMs are always open!
My Commissions for MYOs, Customs and art pieces
Are Open! Just Shoot me a DM!

ImageImageImageImage
Fawntura

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Error » Mon May 27, 2024 10:53 am

Infohazard wrote:This is so nice of you!
May I ask how you shade?

ophanimera wrote:I had a few questions about what it's like to use an iPad!

- Does iPad have pen pressure on Oekaki?
- In order to use iPad with Oekaki, do you also have to use a touch-rejecting glove?
- What are your most common difficulties with using Oekaki on iPad?

1. Yes! It has pen pressure, but it can be a little bit odd. The opacity pen pressure doesn’t work well, no matter how softly I press the opacity won’t lighten up. So I have to do that manually. Otherwise the line width is great!
    2. No, but I do close out the tool menus I’m not using, otherwise my palm with activate the menus. Otherwise, if it’s just the canvas, I can rest my hand on the screen. I highly recommend entering full screen view to also limit the things to touch.
    3. Currently my main trouble is a “Share” option popping up in Safari right above the edit tab, you can’t use the max brush size without lagging, and I can’t lock the transform tool so that, if resizing a square for example it won’t remain a perfect square.

But I really enjoy drawing using my iPad and if I want a fancier program I just hop over to Procreate.
arcadia. wrote:
    would you recommend an Apple Pencil for iPad? is it worth it? or is there another crayon/stylus you have used in the past and have liked?

also any tips for drawing landscapes?

thank you if you get to my question!

Fawntura wrote:Background/landscapes? How do you go about those? I can never figure them out myself and they completely scare me!

The Apple Pen is the only one I’ve used for my iPad and I do enjoy using it. It charges super fast and is pretty similar to drawing with a pencil or my Intous Pro.

As for landscapes and backgrounds, I’ll work on a mini tutorial for that later! So stay tuned!
Error

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ophanimera » Mon May 27, 2024 11:55 am

Thanks for answering my questions!! I’ve been contemplating upgrading to an iPad and your answers are very helpful in making a decision.
ophanimera

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby COOLDOGOOO » Mon May 27, 2024 1:39 pm

hi there! this is really nice of you to do c:
anyways, i was wondering- how do you draw backgrounds?

and i have and apple pen but i don’t know how to use it for pen pressure on oekaki ;w;
JUST CAME BACK FROM HIATUS !
Coming back after a hiatus! I didn't check my oekaki notifs, and had 1k+ unread. I don't have the time to check them all, unfortunately, so if there is something you'd like me to check/be aware of, please PM me! <33 I hope you understand! (art coms are still open, for USD only and considering c$)

my toyhouse <3

Check out Vidapup's free
sig pets
! <3

Please consider commissioning me; I appreciate it a lot! <3

had last 1426 oekaki
COOLDOGOOO

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spiritstar3 » Mon May 27, 2024 2:04 pm

Honestly...how to draw a rabbit?

Also, how to draw horses maybe ((I've drawn them lying down and I think it looks fine. I just can't seem to draw them standing, and definitely not running or anything)
Spiritstar3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Error » Mon May 27, 2024 5:47 pm

COOLDOGOOO wrote:hi there! this is really nice of you to do c:
anyways, i was wondering- how do you draw backgrounds?

and i have and apple pen but i don’t know how to use it for pen pressure on oekaki ;w;

Background Tutorial Is Done!

Odd! Are you making sure the little circle next to the brush size is black? That turns the pen pressure on and off. I am using Safari and I know I tried using Firefox before and it didn’t work right. So it could be a browser app issue too. Another thing is to check if your Apple Pencil is set to Only Draw. This should be in the Apple Pencil settings section within the iPad’s settings.

Spiritstar3 wrote:Honestly...how to draw a rabbit?

Also, how to draw horses maybe ((I've drawn them lying down and I think it looks fine. I just can't seem to draw them standing, and definitely not running or anything)

This is where references definitely help a lot. I’ve struggled to draw cats for a good long while, so I often found pictures online and tried my best to replicate what I saw. Taking note of things like muscle shapes and bone structure without really diving too much into learning the names of things.

Start by finding a good reference image (Chicken Smoothie has some nice ones in their stock gallery) and break it down into simple shapes. if I’m struggling and can’t eyeball it just right, I’ll trace over the image and turn everything into circles and rectangles. Then I’ll take those shapes and try drawing them alone before adding details on top. Then I’ll use a different reference and try to draw from it what I learned from the other one.
    Unfortunately, there isn’t an easy answer to how to draw an animal! it all comes down to studying the forms and breaking things down into simple shapes that you’ll be able to remember.

ophanimera wrote:Thanks for answering my questions!! I’ve been contemplating upgrading to an iPad and your answers are very helpful in making a decision.

Of course! And I do recommend an iPad if you’re unable to sit at a computer often! I enjoy the freedom to draw wherever I am compared to sitting behind my laptop.
Error

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me