Did anyone here play any CD-ROM games?

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Re: Did anyone here play any CD-ROM games?

Postby lil.pinknugget » Thu May 17, 2018 11:19 pm

K-9-Dog wrote:Heck yes! I used to play putt putt travels through time like crazy, and I got the official app game for my iPad, and my goodness the nostalgia <33

I grew up on jumpstart, to even blues clues and the lion king 2 game rom c:

Ahhh~ The nostalgia is hitting me now.
lil.pinknugget

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lil.pinknugget » Thu May 17, 2018 11:50 pm

Dama wrote:This brings back memories. I remember playing Barbie Riding Club for hours ... I think there was a bell that you had to ring somehow and something about a wild horse and a rainbow ... kinda want to play it again now but it's long disappeared.

You need to play it again! Even if it may be easy to play now, it was pretty hard when I was younger. Looking back, I think that game is one of the best games I've ever played and that was ever out there. It's too bad though that they probably won't work with new model software etc.
lil.pinknugget

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby U wot m8 » Fri May 18, 2018 2:28 am

Dama wrote:This brings back memories. I remember playing Barbie Riding Club for hours ... I think there was a bell that you had to ring somehow and something about a wild horse and a rainbow ... kinda want to play it again now but it's long disappeared.

I played it as well, I always wanted to know if that little horse u get at the end can get older????

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
U wot m8

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lil.pinknugget » Fri May 18, 2018 2:32 am

TerritorialCreep wrote:

I played it as well, I always wanted to know if that little horse u get at the end can get older????

I think I never finished the end of the game because it's been long since I've played and I thought it was difficult at the time. I got to watch the ending on YouTube and spoil it for myself. I really love the ending!
lil.pinknugget

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dama » Fri May 18, 2018 4:03 am

lil.pinknugget wrote:

You need to play it again! Even if it may be easy to play now, it was pretty hard when I was younger. Looking back, I think that game is one of the best games I've ever played and that was ever out there. It's too bad though that they probably won't work with new model software etc.

The game was way before its time I'm sure. Unfortunately I know a lot of old PC-ROM games like Putt Putt and Freddi Fish definitely don't work on newer software, and this would be no exception, which is a shame since I'd love to play them again. If you were really invested in playing these old games you could probably buy an old PC and order the games from eBay but I bet they won't be cheap or are probably hard to come by these days. I did a similar thing last year and bought a refurbished PlayStation 2 and a ton of old PS1 and PS2 games just for the nostalgia.

TerritorialCreep wrote:

Sadly I'm pretty sure the only time you actually get to see that little horse is right at the end, so you never get to see it older than that, but wouldn't it have been nice! Maybe they should make a spin-off game.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
there's room for us in heaven
we could stay this way forever

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xx
xx

about me
• • •
listography
• • •
need help?
• • •
credit
Dama

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lil.pinknugget » Fri May 18, 2018 5:04 am

Dama wrote:
lil.pinknugget wrote:

The game was way before its time I'm sure. Unfortunately I know a lot of old PC-ROM games like Putt Putt and Freddi Fish definitely don't work on newer software, and this would be no exception, which is a shame since I'd love to play them again. If you were really invested in playing these old games you could probably buy an old PC and order the games from eBay but I bet they won't be cheap or are probably hard to come by these days. I did a similar thing last year and bought a refurbished PlayStation 2 and a ton of old PS1 and PS2 games just for the nostalgia.

I might do it actually. Seems like a lot of fun right?
lil.pinknugget

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Fri May 18, 2018 12:15 pm

One of my favorite games growing up was Return to Ringworld. I could never get past "getting the datacron disk" or w/e it was and since this was the 90s, that meant you were stuck like that forever. My best friend and I would play it over and over again even though it was only 15 mins of play.
The real allure to the game was the ship's computer. We loved feeding the character until the screen yelled at us, "Stop already! The food is not that good!" It also had this sweet card game called Outpost Alpha. We'd play that for hours and hours.

Any adventure game, I loved. Anything from Sierra Online. The King's Quest series.. the one where it was just a bunch of puns. Where you had to throw a head of iceberg lettuce in a boiling river to make it cool down- those kinds of puzzles.(Errr.... was that CD-ROM or 3.5" floppy...?)

I also went through... 5 or 6 disks of Morrowind then told myself that fate just wouldn't let me play The Elder Scrolls.

Another favorite was Arx Fatalis. It had some neat hunger and cooking mechanics. I still play that game thanks to steam.
Speaking of thanks to steam, I bought:
Hexen, Hexen 2, quake, Wolfenstein 3D, Xwing, Tie Fighter....

Funny thing is, my SPORE disk won't work. The CD key is invalid because the company changed hands so many times. Customer Service basically told me to buy a new copy. :/
ImageImage
Come buy old rare pets in bulk for gems!
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby U wot m8 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:39 pm

Shian wrote:One of my favorite games growing up was Return to Ringworld. I could never get past "getting the datacron disk" or w/e it was and since this was the 90s, that meant you were stuck like that forever. My best friend and I would play it over and over again even though it was only 15 mins of play.
The real allure to the game was the ship's computer. We loved feeding the character until the screen yelled at us, "Stop already! The food is not that good!" It also had this sweet card game called Outpost Alpha. We'd play that for hours and hours.

Any adventure game, I loved. Anything from Sierra Online. The King's Quest series.. the one where it was just a bunch of puns. Where you had to throw a head of iceberg lettuce in a boiling river to make it cool down- those kinds of puzzles.(Errr.... was that CD-ROM or 3.5" floppy...?)

I also went through... 5 or 6 disks of Morrowind then told myself that fate just wouldn't let me play The Elder Scrolls.

Another favorite was Arx Fatalis. It had some neat hunger and cooking mechanics. I still play that game thanks to steam.
Speaking of thanks to steam, I bought:
Hexen, Hexen 2, quake, Wolfenstein 3D, Xwing, Tie Fighter....

Funny thing is, my SPORE disk won't work. The CD key is invalid because the company changed hands so many times. Customer Service basically told me to buy a new copy. :/

I'm going on offtopic here, but would you reccomend Arx Fatalis? It popped some time ago on my steam reccomendations and I wonder if I should buy it

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
U wot m8

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Sat May 19, 2018 8:01 am

I do. Get Arx Fatalis, then immediately getArx Libertatis then run Arx Libertatis as a non steam game and run that from now on.
It's basically an unofficial patch that stops some crashes and bugs and stuff. So long as you don't mind 90's graphics... There's some things I had to look up a walk through for, but all the puzzles make sense. :) The only thing that might be difficult is the magic system. You draw symbols with your mouse and sometimes its picky so there's a bit of a learning curve, but once you pick up the quirks it's pretty fun. Or you can ignore magic for the most part and just run melee.
ImageImage
Come buy old rare pets in bulk for gems!
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me