the new doctor

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Re: the new doctor

Postby Scarf » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:21 am

Ah, I was thinking about this thread the other day...I felt bad that I never replied to you Javin. I wanted to say, that is an awesome picture :O Yay for South Wales! I'm from New South Wales, totally counts as the same thing :D

The reason I was thinking about this is because I just finished watching The Ice Warriors, and it has the most failtastic science of anything I have ever watched ever. Not just silly, like TARDISes towing planets, but bad research on a bigger scale than your point about Venice (which is a very good point :B). I learned that in the future we will have a bigger population and food production technology which together lead to us cutting down most of the trees, which will cause a decrease in carbon dioxide levels and cause a second ice age, with glaciers which move so fast that they can crush buildings in a matter of hours. So...yeah. I don't know how much they knew about climate change science in the sixties, but surely it was easy to work out which way photosynthesis works :/

However, despite the fact that the science made me go "wth?" and I can't stand Ice Warriors (really bad lipsync and wheezing D:), I enjoyed the story. It was fun, and I was in it for the characters (well...maybe not so much for Victoria). And I think they did it because they could, with the technology they had. The glacier sets were actually quite good for a time where everything was cardboard and wobbled, so why have science that makes sense if making stuff up to allow them to show off their ice-cave making skills would do just as well. I think the spitfires in space were the most recent in a very long line of "ooh, we can make something awesome with this new tech that we have, LET'S MAKE IT BIG AND SHINY". Half of the Four episodes I've seen have had this...Robot's massive robot with the tiny Sarah Jane doll in its hand, melting Sontarans in The Sontaran Experiment, odd (rotoscope-y?) effects with antimatter monsters in Planet of Evil (including a giant one against a floaty Four), shiny Vardans made of tin foil in The Invasion of Time...all brilliant stories (well, maybe not The Sontaran Experiment :B), because they were fun, but all full of silliness because they had new things that they wanted to try, and they wanted to make things as big and epic as possible and logic be damned.

Which is why Pratchett's point about them being fantasy is a good one...quite a lot of suspension of disbelief is required :D

I think the arrogant "COME AND GET ME" thing has been developing for a while too...I can imagine it working with Six and Seven to an extent, and I think that in terms of character development the Time War pushed the Doctor into the sort of character who can make statements like that. Nine, Ten and Eleven all have very "I am awesome, I can do things that you could never dream of, don't push me or you will regret it" moments, and I think they're acceptable considering what he's been through. Maybe earlier Doctors wouldn't've done it, but more recent Doctors have been through a lot more, and are older and a little darker.

But yeah, I'd definitely recommend the most recent series, even with the bits of silly :D And I'll have to track down that Five story...I really want to watch one, and if you say it's good then I'll see if I can find it :D

..Image
scarf + luth
.[nerdthing + treething]
there's something you'd better understand about me,
'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it
- I am definitely a mad man with a box -

..Image
Scarf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Motty » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:35 pm

i reccon david tennant was the best doctor.
Motty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Scarf » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:58 pm

Motty wrote:i reccon david tennant was the best doctor.

Come along to the actual fanclub and tell us why.

..Image
scarf + luth
.[nerdthing + treething]
there's something you'd better understand about me,
'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it
- I am definitely a mad man with a box -

..Image
Scarf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery