Lord of the Rings - the OFFICIAL Elvish Dictionary!

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Lord of the Rings - the OFFICIAL Elvish Dictionary!

Postby Greenleaf » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:55 pm

Mae govannen, mellyn nîn! (that means, "well met, my friends!") I see you have come across our thread. ;)
Now that you are here, you are probably wondering, "What is this doing here? Is this another LOTR geek fanthread?"
I can answer some of your questions. For one, yes, this is a fanthread of the Lord of the Rings.
"Oh," you are probably thinking, "big deal. We have had LOTR Elvish fanthreads in the past, so this has to be just some random thing that is totally not important,"
That is where you are wrong, my friend. This is
the OFFICIAL Elvish Dictionary of CS.

This thread is entirely dedicated to the prolonged study concerning one of Tolkien's made up languages, called Elvish. Tolkien had made up this language entirely by himself to use in the writing of the Lord of the Rings, and he could write, speak, and converse fluently in Elvish (though of course he had no one to converse with :lol: ). Though the Professor passed away nearly fifty years ago, we aim to keep his languages alive by creating a large dictionary made up entirely of English - Elvish translations. This thread will also include:

Grammar concerning both Sindarin and Quenya
English translations to both Sindarin and Quenya
How to write in the many various runes of Middle-earth,
and much more!

And, to help you with your way around ;) ,

Main post!
English—Sindarin translations 1 and English—Sindarin translations 2; it includes Sindarin grammar.
These are English to Quenya translations, part one, and English to Quenya translations, part two! :D Includes grammar, as well.
And finally, the runes of Middle-earth!

This dictionary would never have existed had it not been for my awesome friends at the LOTR thread. A big thank you to them <3

Here is the list of awesome people who helped during the development of this thread, as well as helping to provide various websites for help or translations.

If you want to be added, please post on this thread telling me! <3 I will add you as soon as I can. ;3

This post will be updated when it needs to be. ;P

Hope this thread will help you!

Le hannon <3,

-CatLover221/Legolas~Greenleaf

Disclaimer: None of us on here own the Lord of the Rings, the sources used, or the Elvish language. This thread was created entirely for our own entertainment, as well as to help other users/writers with Elvish.
Please note: Feel free to use this offsite; Elvish doesn't belong to us anyways :P
It would be nice if you credited us though :')
Also, PLEASE NOTE that a large majority of this dictionary has been taken from various websites, other sources, or from our own knowledge. We did our best to choose trustworthy sources and post only what we think is legit Elvish, but we can not be guaranteed that this is 100% correct.
Last edited by Greenleaf on Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:21 pm, edited 8 times in total.

-------'-'------
Chinese ● queer
bi ace ● musician

------------''--
--------------------
#BlackLivesMatter
click here.

--------------------
-----'--'-------
Li 立 ● she/ze ●
student ● writer

-------'----'---
Greenleaf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Newsboard

Newsboard

Update 1, 04/28/2013: The Dictionary has opened! <3

WIP. ;)
Last edited by Greenleaf on Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Greenleaf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Sources we used :)

This is the list of sources we used for the making of this dictionary.

Nevrast.net - I used a lot of words and grammar from this site to apply to the dict. ;) It is an excellent resource.
Elvish.org - I used this mainly for grammar and phonetics. I relied heavily on this.
Ambar-Eldaron.com - Again, I used many words from this useful site. Everything is excellently written, in my own humble opinion. :P

More resources will be added as I update this dictionary.
Last edited by Greenleaf on Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Greenleaf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Sindarin, part one!

Postby Greenleaf » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:03 am

These are the Sindarin translations, part one! :3 It is written in alphabetical order, from letters A to M.
Everything here will be written in this format:
English word - Sindarin translation - maybe something else you may need to know.

A

a - da - please note, the word 'a' is used very rarely in Elvish. For example, instead of saying 'da roch' (a horse), one would simply say 'roch'. I don't even know why the word 'a' would need a translation in Elvish, as we never use it anyways, but nevertheless I put it up here just in case.
abandon - awarth
abandonment - swarth
abhorrence - deloth
abhorrent - thaur
abide - bar
abominable - saur - see 'abhorrent'.
about - nia
above - or
abroad - palan
abundant - ovor
accent - andaith - literally translated as 'acute accent'
according - egor
account - trenar
n
- may be written as narn
across - thrad
afar - palan
affect - pres~
affected - prestannen
affection - míl
again - ad-
against (the) - dan (din)
(of a person's) age - anrand
agile - celeg
ago - io
air - gwilith
alas - nae
(to be) alive - cuin (cuino)
allegiance - bui-
allow - dab-
alone - eriol
and - a
angel - (f)aenil, (m)aenos
anger - rúth
angle - nas
animal - radag - note the word mammal is lavan
annals - ínias
anniversary - edinar
appear - thi-
army (of a 'wall formation') - thangail
army (of a 'wedge formation') - dirnaith
around - os-
arrive - anglenn(o)-
arrow - pilin (plural) pillindi
article - bach
as - sui
ash - lith
ashen - lithui
assembly - húd
authority - balan
autumn - iavas
awaken - echuiv-
awe - gaya
axe (like an axe stroke :P) - hast

B

WIP. 'A' section finished.
Last edited by Greenleaf on Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Greenleaf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Sindarin, part two.

These are the Sindarin translations, part two! It includes the last thirteen letters of the alphabet, from N to Z, and also includes Sindarin grammar.

Sindarin Grammar
These are a few grammar terms I know that can really help. :3
They will be written in this format:
Grammar term - meaning/definition/how its used - example.

Prefixes/suffixes

ú-~ - common negative prefix - ex. ú-chenion means "I do not understand", opposite to henion, which means "I understand"
~on (sometimes written as ~in, as in pedin, which means, in this case, "I speak") - common suffix relating to "myself" - ex. aníron means "I desire/wish"; anír is the root word, so adding "~on" turns it to "I desire", if that made any sense X'D
~ach (sometimes written as "~ich", as in pedich, which means in this case "you speak")- common suffix relating to "you" - ex. heniach meaning "you understand"

Past, present, future tense

Let's use the root word anír (meaning to desire or wish) as an example.
~a adding ~a to the root word makes it present tense - ex. aníra, changes the root word to"desires/wishes"
~ant adding ~ant to the root word turns it to past tense - ex. anírant, changes the root word to "desired/wished"
~ath adding ~ath to the root word turns it to future tense - ex. anírath, changes the root word to "will desire/wish"

WIP.
Last edited by Greenleaf on Tue May 21, 2013 7:39 am, edited 7 times in total.

-------'-'------
Chinese ● queer
bi ace ● musician

------------''--
--------------------
#BlackLivesMatter
click here.

--------------------
-----'--'-------
Li 立 ● she/ze ●
student ● writer

-------'----'---
Greenleaf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Quenya, part 1

These are the Quenya translations, and the words are written in alphabetical order, from A to M.
WIP.
Last edited by Greenleaf on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

-------'-'------
Chinese ● queer
bi ace ● musician

------------''--
--------------------
#BlackLivesMatter
click here.

--------------------
-----'--'-------
Li 立 ● she/ze ●
student ● writer

-------'----'---
Greenleaf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Quenya, part 2

These are the Quenya translations, and the words are written in alphebetical order, from N to Z. This also includes a note on Quenyan grammar.

WIP.
Last edited by Greenleaf on Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

-------'-'------
Chinese ● queer
bi ace ● musician

------------''--
--------------------
#BlackLivesMatter
click here.

--------------------
-----'--'-------
Li 立 ● she/ze ●
student ● writer

-------'----'---
Greenleaf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Runes of Middle-earth

Postby Greenleaf » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:08 am

reserved
Last edited by Greenleaf on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

-------'-'------
Chinese ● queer
bi ace ● musician

------------''--
--------------------
#BlackLivesMatter
click here.

--------------------
-----'--'-------
Li 立 ● she/ze ●
student ● writer

-------'----'---
Greenleaf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

A short note concerning trusty Elvish sources

Postby Greenleaf » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:10 am

Lol... Open to posting... Um, feel free to mill around till I finish updating everything. ;P

And anyways, just a note on what trusty Elvish sources one may use.

Tolkien never really completed the whole Sindarin language. Many words were created, true, and he also created a fairly detailed grammar structure of the language. But he never actually finished the language, overall.
That gives us plenty of space to wriggle around somewhat and take our own guesses at certain places in Elvish. Take a look at http://www.realelvish.org , for example. It has fairly accurate notes and a whole list of various reconstructed Elvish words.

Due to the lack of its actual creator and the unfortunately unfinished language, some people sometimes slack off and make their own variations of Elvish, rather then study and take the time to lead the facts. Many websites have been created using their own made up phrases and words, and it is rather unfortunate that some of these websites are actually quite well known and trusted by many people.
Now, I don't mean to openly flame here, but whoever created the Elvish translations on http://www.grey-company.org needs to do some serious reworking on their Elvish word lists. Oftentimes they mix up Sindarin with Quenya, or even combine it at times, and they also make up their own hodgepodge of 'Elvish' to carelessly put up on their site.
Take the common insult go kiss an orc, for example. Now, the correct Sindarin translation of that insult is bado mîbo orch. However, the translation they include is auta miqula orqu. That is extremely incorrect, and the combination of Sindarin+Quenya in just that one short phrase is just rather insulting.

When browsing the web for other typical Elvish translations, it is extremely important to be able to tell fact from fiction.
-for one, when you look at the website, take a good look around for any signs of "Grelvish" (mixture of English and Elvish). Try looking for root words of English embedded in the phrase.
For example, take a look at this incorrect translation: elen sila lumenn omentilmo. What they mean to say is "a star shines on the hour of our meeting", but you will immediately notice the use of this strange word lummen.
Now, "lummen" you could easily be able to tell as "Grelvish". It sounds suspiciously like the English word luminous, which means to cast a faint, glimmering glow, and by the way it is used in this sentence, you can see what they are trying to say; it's just not quite right.
Note that the correct translation would be to say "gîl síla erin lû e-govaded vîn".

Keeping a good eye out for incorrect Elvish sources and for Grelvish as well, could help a lot. ;)
And if you have ever used or are currently using Gray Company as your elvish source... I would personally shy away from it from now on.
That's basically all the advice I can throw to you. XP
Last edited by Greenleaf on Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Greenleaf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Lord of the Rings - the OFFICIAL Elvish Dictionary! Open

Postby Alatar Maia » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:34 am

I can send you some alphabet stuff for Quenya Tengwar
Pet's name: Fortunatus