Film Review & Discussion

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Re: Film Review & Discussion

Postby Silverhart » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:16 am

That's interesting, and also not very surprising. I always find it annoying when animated movies with similar themes come out at the same time. I really don't understand the mentality behind it. I mean, there are so many great stories worth telling, and different settings to explore! It's one thing to take inspiration from older sources; like 'Prince of Egypt' from Exodus, or 'Road to El Dorado' from the old 'Road to' movies, but why take a random idea from a competitor that may prove to be a flop? It doesn't seem like good business sense to me, but then, what do I know? XP

I've read and heard some stories about 'Metropolis', but I don't know if they're all true. It's Trivia Page on IMDb has some interesting tidbits such as:

IMDb wrote:Much to Fritz Lang's dismay, Adolf Hitler and Joseph Goebbels were big fans of the film. Goebbels met with Lang and told him that he could be made an honorary Aryan despite his Jewish background. Goebbels told him "Mr Lang, we decide who is Jewish and who is not". Lang left for Paris that very night.

That gave me shivers when I first learned that. It's always fascinating to learn the social and political feelings of the time and see how those influenced the creators and the audience. I also found it interesting how it was based on a novel, written by Fritz Lang's wife, with the end goal of turning it into the film. XD They're such different mediums.

It was also the first feature-length sci-fi film and inspired tons of other creators. Just - overall an incredible film to study and learn about.
Silverhart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:20 pm

Silverhart wrote:
IMDb wrote:Much to Fritz Lang's dismay, Adolf Hitler and Joseph Goebbels were big fans of the film. Goebbels met with Lang and told him that he could be made an honorary Aryan despite his Jewish background. Goebbels told him "Mr Lang, we decide who is Jewish and who is not". Lang left for Paris that very night.

Ok sorry about the image but seriously, that's messed up. That Trivia Page is really interesting though. It's clearly been a very influential film.

The animation studios dueling with each other like that is actually pretty fun, in a way. It's like you give them each a general theme to work with, and see what take each studio puts on it. In my film classes we do somewhat similar things. We'll work in groups of four to make one film, then split into groups of two to edit it. So in the end you get two different versions of each film, and it's interesting to see the different takes. Competition in the way that animation studios do it is pretty productive! Especially since it's not always obvious which studio will fare better in the box office. Madagascar did much better than Disney's The Wild, but Finding Nemo did much better than Dreamworks' Shark Tale. I think it's become more of a friendly business competition than both studios maliciously trying to tear each other down. They seem to have come to respect each others' accomplishments.
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silverhart » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:49 pm

I know - it's pretty crazy. Interesting though. I gotta say - I have learned some interesting trivia just from reading up the backstories behind certain films. That's another reason I love old film so much - it's like stepping into a time machine for a bit.

I guess it could be seen as fun - I mean there are a lot of movies that seem to have been caught up in that whole competition that I really enjoy, but personally I just prefer seeing more variety in films. It seems a waste of effort and money to try and out-compete a rival company by copying their latest theme, when you could be doing something original that's better quality, and reap the benefits of that. If two films come out that have similar premises, one of them is going to do well while the other doesn't. It seems like a guaranteed loss for one of them.

But then, I don't know how that whole industry works. I'm just an outsider looking in. XP It might just be my own tastes too - I like seeing a lot of variety, and having a lot of different visual styles, genres, and stories in my films to choose from.
Silverhart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Salsaverde » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:13 pm

Sorry, guys! I've been quite busy with school-related activities. A little off topic here, but World War II is literally one of my favorite eras to read about. It's also a good setting for a movie. That possibly explains why Saving Private Ryan is one of my favorites.

⌜ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ⌝
[female] - [video games] - [film student]
[science fiction] - [history buff]
[cephalopods] - [Christian] - [dare to play]

⌞ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ⌟

ImageImageImageImageImage

Katrina wrote:"May happiness find you and yours...
and remember that bad times
are just times that are bad."

in space no one can hear
‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ you scream ‍. . .
Salsaverde

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:42 am

Haha hey I haven't been online a whole lot either the past few days. Been busy travelling. :/

Silverhart I agree that it's nice to see variety too in animation. I think it's fairly evenly balanced, you have the competitive films, but then there are also films a studio is releasing that other studios don't try to compete with. I don't recall there being any competition for Inside Out, or The Good Dinosaur. Those are only recent examples though. In fact I don't think I've seen much competition of late, and if there has been then I've been entirely oblivious to it. Maybe Zootopia and The Secret Life of Pets? Those are coming out this year, but not super close...

Also since I'm thinking about animation right now... I'm super excited for that new Disney film, Moana. It's weird but I really like the "modern" Disney princess films, basically anything since Mulan. That and I'm also pretty curious about those live action remakes that Disney is up to. BFG by Spielberg, Pete's Dragon is getting a remake, and The Jungle Book too.

Also Zitrone, have you watched Band of Brothers and The Pacific? I just started Band of Brothers because I heard it's supposed to be a sort of spin-off TV series from Saving Private Ryan.

Aaaand on a very different note, my boyfriend just today bought me a limited edition steelbook copy of Jumanji and I'm so freaking excited about it. It used to be one of my favorite movies when I was a kid, and I haven't watched it in years. x3
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Salsaverde » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:01 am

polerberr wrote:Also Zitrone, have you watched Band of Brothers and The Pacific? I just started Band of Brothers because I heard it's supposed to be a sort of spin-off TV series from Saving Private Ryan.

...don't remind me. My brother has the whole series on VHS (classic, I know). The whole time he watched it, I was so busy. I just haven't got the time to start it up again because it's really long and I don't have the time. Not until basketball season is over, at least.

⌜ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ⌝
[female] - [video games] - [film student]
[science fiction] - [history buff]
[cephalopods] - [Christian] - [dare to play]

⌞ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ⌟

ImageImageImageImageImage

Katrina wrote:"May happiness find you and yours...
and remember that bad times
are just times that are bad."

in space no one can hear
‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ you scream ‍. . .
Salsaverde

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Physical-Pancakes » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:51 am

hey, I hope it's not too late to do this, but I'm kind of a film fanatic, and I wanted to join so...

Favorite movie, and why: Indiana Jones and the raiders of the lost ark is probably my all time favorite movie, just because it's really fun, and it's the first pg 13 movie I ever saw, so I guess it kind of has a special place in my heart. I know it's not the truly best of all films or anything, but I smile every time I see it, and something about how it's just fun really makes me happy. There may not be a lot to be said about creative cinematography, or important themes about life, but something about watching Nazis get thrown from vans makes me happy. I love Harrison Fords performance, and Marion's general awesomeness made somewhat of a role model for young me. I love fast-paced action, moving from set piece to set piece, while still giving us a little room to rest in between (Ex: The boat scene, the beginning of the market scene before the action happens). I love the fun tone, and the upbeat music, and how different and also fun all the characters are. Obviously you've everyone saying that it would have played out the same without Indiana Jones, and it might have, but without him who would the audience root for? From a film making perspective the action hero is an important of any action movie that keeps the audience engaged and gives them someone to cheer for, and I love having someone to cheer for. Anyways I guess that's a bit of essay, but there you have it.
And as you can see by my signature and icon, my current movie obssesion is 1920's 'The Mark of Zorro' starring Douglas Fairbanks.

Least favorite movie, and why: Now, I don't know if this movie ever had a theatrical release, but it's on the lifetime channel pretty often, and some of my family members seem to really enjoy putting it on, so I don't know if it's through repeated viewings, or if it really is the bland characters, the awful plot, and the terrible depiction of women, but the movie Something Borrowed is atrocious. I mean, there's bad, there's boring, and there's entertaining bad, and this movie falls somewhere between bad and boring. Basically, there are two girls who have been best friends forever, they meet this guy in college and one of them starts dating him, even though the other has a crush on him. Flash forward a few years and the same girl who was dating him in the beginning in engaged to him, and other girl is still majorly crushing on him. So crush girl and fiancé boy end up starting a relationship behind the guy's fiancé's back. It's mostly about them dealing with the affair, and trying to hide it, and at one point a different male character pretends to be gay to get a girl to leave him alone, and that paves the way for some nice homophobic humor that I won't get into. It's pretty bland, but the end it what really gets me, what just makes me want to scream. Not only is the main character (the girl who is in a secret relationship with her best friends fiancé)'s cheating justified because the girl who was engaged was also cheating on her fiancé, but the main character and her best friend since childhood stop being friends and the main character goes on to marry the guy she was cheating with. So the message of the movie is "Cheating is okay as long as your both doing it!" and "Always abandon your best friends for 'love'!" I just hate it, and I hate that assumes women will just drop their best friends in the whole world because some attractive guy likes them.

Best movies ever seen:
The technically best movies I've ever seen are probably Requiem for a Dream, and maybe Murder, My Sweet. I'm a pretty big fan of noir movies so I've seen a lot of them, but Murder, My Sweet is probably my favorite so far. It's a real classic noir film with all the tropes, a femme fatale, a murder, a secret identity, and some really well done voice over, which you don't get often. Usually voice overs kind of suck. There's also classic westerns, like the good the bad and the ugly, which I personally think is way better than a fistfull of dollars, The Man who Shot Liberty Valence is one I found a bit overrated, and as far as john wayne movies go, I think True Grit is still my personal favorite, Taxi driver is good, and shares some interesting Parallels with Leon the Professional, which, aside from a few scenes, I mostly enjoyed, but anyways, I've probably said too much here, so that's that.

Worst movies ever seen:
The worst movies I actually enjoy are probably Austenland, and Spacehunter: Adventures in the forbidden zone, and I guess Miss Congeniality and it's sequel, which I actually really like because I think it has an important message about every good deed isn't love, and just about the nature of love, and also the importance of friendship and not pitting yourself against everyone around you, but enough about my secret enjoyment of Sandra Bullock movies. Bad movies that are bad that I don't like include that Adam Sandler movie where he goes to hawaii, not 50 first dates, but you know what, I don't like that one either, so whichever I guess. The most recent worse movie I've seen, however, is Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip, which I recently saw in theaters at the request of my 15 year old sister. There were only about 8-10 other people in the theater, all with small children, and let me tell you, I heard no laughter out of even the youngest child. The jokes were stale, and more annoying than funny, the chipmunks were cgi monsters, it was as bad as expected, and absolutely not worth ten dollars to go and see. In conclusion, I am an idiot who listens to my sister too much.

Favorite Director:
Probably Guillermo Del Toro, I love Pan's Labyrinth, and all the Hellboy movies, and I just think that all his movies are really creative and interesting, and I wish he hadn't backed out of The Hobbit.

Favorite Actor: I will watch anything Harrison Ford has been in because Indianna Jones and Star Wars ruined me.

Favorite Actress: I think either Sigourney Weaver (Go Ellen Ripley!) Or Saorise Ronan (because her performance in Hanna is amazing.)

Any Film Critics you follow?:
Not really, I just listen to some reviews on youtube here and there. I'd like to be a film critic because I love both complaining, and movies, but I dunno.

Anyways, I'm so sorry for the giant wall of text I have just created, I sort of just love movies. Also, This year's Ex-Machina deserves an oscar for something, and I'm really dissapointed that it was nominated in so few categories.
“If this could be -
The high Sierras I would level to your feet -
The wild waves on Capistrano's shore should
pay you homage - I'd make the desert a
million roses yield - - to die in shame
before your beauty- If this could be!”
~Zorro, The Mark of Zorro, 1920
Physical-Pancakes

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:08 am

Physical-Pancakes wrote:hey, I hope it's not too late to do this, but I'm kind of a film fanatic, and I wanted to join so...

Favorite movie, and why: Indiana Jones and the raiders of the lost ark is probably my all time favorite movie, just because it's really fun, and it's the first pg 13 movie I ever saw, so I guess it kind of has a special place in my heart. I know it's not the truly best of all films or anything, but I smile every time I see it, and something about how it's just fun really makes me happy. There may not be a lot to be said about creative cinematography, or important themes about life, but something about watching Nazis get thrown from vans makes me happy. I love Harrison Fords performance, and Marion's general awesomeness made somewhat of a role model for young me. I love fast-paced action, moving from set piece to set piece, while still giving us a little room to rest in between (Ex: The boat scene, the beginning of the market scene before the action happens). I love the fun tone, and the upbeat music, and how different and also fun all the characters are. Obviously you've everyone saying that it would have played out the same without Indiana Jones, and it might have, but without him who would the audience root for? From a film making perspective the action hero is an important of any action movie that keeps the audience engaged and gives them someone to cheer for, and I love having someone to cheer for. Anyways I guess that's a bit of essay, but there you have it.
And as you can see by my signature and icon, my current movie obssesion is 1920's 'The Mark of Zorro' starring Douglas Fairbanks.

Least favorite movie, and why: Now, I don't know if this movie ever had a theatrical release, but it's on the lifetime channel pretty often, and some of my family members seem to really enjoy putting it on, so I don't know if it's through repeated viewings, or if it really is the bland characters, the awful plot, and the terrible depiction of women, but the movie Something Borrowed is atrocious. I mean, there's bad, there's boring, and there's entertaining bad, and this movie falls somewhere between bad and boring. Basically, there are two girls who have been best friends forever, they meet this guy in college and one of them starts dating him, even though the other has a crush on him. Flash forward a few years and the same girl who was dating him in the beginning in engaged to him, and other girl is still majorly crushing on him. So crush girl and fiancé boy end up starting a relationship behind the guy's fiancé's back. It's mostly about them dealing with the affair, and trying to hide it, and at one point a different male character pretends to be gay to get a girl to leave him alone, and that paves the way for some nice homophobic humor that I won't get into. It's pretty bland, but the end it what really gets me, what just makes me want to scream. Not only is the main character (the girl who is in a secret relationship with her best friends fiancé)'s cheating justified because the girl who was engaged was also cheating on her fiancé, but the main character and her best friend since childhood stop being friends and the main character goes on to marry the guy she was cheating with. So the message of the movie is "Cheating is okay as long as your both doing it!" and "Always abandon your best friends for 'love'!" I just hate it, and I hate that assumes women will just drop their best friends in the whole world because some attractive guy likes them.

Best movies ever seen:
The technically best movies I've ever seen are probably Requiem for a Dream, and maybe Murder, My Sweet. I'm a pretty big fan of noir movies so I've seen a lot of them, but Murder, My Sweet is probably my favorite so far. It's a real classic noir film with all the tropes, a femme fatale, a murder, a secret identity, and some really well done voice over, which you don't get often. Usually voice overs kind of suck. There's also classic westerns, like the good the bad and the ugly, which I personally think is way better than a fistfull of dollars, The Man who Shot Liberty Valence is one I found a bit overrated, and as far as john wayne movies go, I think True Grit is still my personal favorite, Taxi driver is good, and shares some interesting Parallels with Leon the Professional, which, aside from a few scenes, I mostly enjoyed, but anyways, I've probably said too much here, so that's that.

Worst movies ever seen:
The worst movies I actually enjoy are probably Austenland, and Spacehunter: Adventures in the forbidden zone, and I guess Miss Congeniality and it's sequel, which I actually really like because I think it has an important message about every good deed isn't love, and just about the nature of love, and also the importance of friendship and not pitting yourself against everyone around you, but enough about my secret enjoyment of Sandra Bullock movies. Bad movies that are bad that I don't like include that Adam Sandler movie where he goes to hawaii, not 50 first dates, but you know what, I don't like that one either, so whichever I guess. The most recent worse movie I've seen, however, is Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip, which I recently saw in theaters at the request of my 15 year old sister. There were only about 8-10 other people in the theater, all with small children, and let me tell you, I heard no laughter out of even the youngest child. The jokes were stale, and more annoying than funny, the chipmunks were cgi monsters, it was as bad as expected, and absolutely not worth ten dollars to go and see. In conclusion, I am an idiot who listens to my sister too much.

Favorite Director:
Probably Guillermo Del Toro, I love Pan's Labyrinth, and all the Hellboy movies, and I just think that all his movies are really creative and interesting, and I wish he hadn't backed out of The Hobbit.

Favorite Actor: I will watch anything Harrison Ford has been in because Indianna Jones and Star Wars ruined me.

Favorite Actress: I think either Sigourney Weaver (Go Ellen Ripley!) Or Saorise Ronan (because her performance in Hanna is amazing.)

Any Film Critics you follow?:
Not really, I just listen to some reviews on youtube here and there. I'd like to be a film critic because I love both complaining, and movies, but I dunno.

Anyways, I'm so sorry for the giant wall of text I have just created, I sort of just love movies. Also, This year's Ex-Machina deserves an oscar for something, and I'm really dissapointed that it was nominated in so few categories.

It's never too late to join. ^^ Most of us here have been kinda busy lately so it's nice to get another person in. And, I'll make a wall of text to go with your wall of text. Honestly this is why I made the thread. :lol:

Raiders of the Lost Ark is such a fantastic film. It's really the epitome of the action hero movies. I can't tell you how many times I've seen it, because it just does not get boring. Like you said, it's the fun tone and that John Williams music that gets you all excited, and then Harrison Ford. He played the role perfectly, that mixture of being really cocky and full of himself, but also really passionate about his work. He's incredibly reckless, but that works for him. That, and, let's be honest, he's really really hot. His character is kind of written to be the perfect scruffy reckless American adventurer in the same way that James Bond is written to be the perfect suave British gentleman-spy. (Gentlespy?)

You think Miss Congeniality is a bad film? I mean I wouldn't call it a great film myself, but I think it's a pretty funny, well written, well performed comedy chick-flick. I don't think I'd call it my guilty pleasure, nah I'd reserve my guilty pleasure title for Phantom of the Opera. I hate that I love it. Such an over dramatic, creepy, unbelievable plot, all centered around 'love' of course (bleh), but the music really gets to me and I guess I have a thing for the Phantom. (What is actually wrong with me?)

So the only noir films I've seen are The Third Man and The Maltese Falcon, and I wasn't really sure where to go from there. I should probably give Murder, My Sweet a watch, you make it sound like something I'd be into.

And hey you brought up Westerns and that made me super giddy and excited because I've been watching a lot of them the past month! Only last night I watched For A Few Dollars More, and the week before I watched Fistfull. Yeah of that trilogy, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is my favorite. It's actually my all time favorite film, in general. IMO, everything about it is perfect. Music, cinematography, acting, plot (exciting and easy to follow). I think the Dollars trilogy kind of gets better with every movie. You have A Fistfull of Dollars, which is okay, but the plot gets a bit confusing because all of the characters look the same and I can't keep track of who's in what family and what's going on. Eventually I'm only watching it because the music is good and I know there'll be some kind of showdown at the end. Then For a Few Dollars more really improves on the plot itself, I found that the performances were in general a lot better, especially with Lee van Cleef, though the plot does get a little bit muddled near the end. Aaaand then comes The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. It's just the first two movies, but really perfected. Ennio Morricone nailed the music, especially at the end with The Ecstasy of Gold. The plot is great because it doesn't introduce too many characters like the previous movies, it sticks around the three characters, and only now and then another character comes along, but doesn't remain important. It's a lot less difficult to get confused as to what's going on, and then when you finally get to the showdown, it's paced beautifully. That and this time we get the perfect acting mix, Clint Eastwood, Lee van Cleef, and Eli Wallach play perfect two dimensional characters, haha. I guess the films only real rival as far as Westerns go, or at least Spaghetti Westerns, would be Once Upon a Time in the West, and the most amazing thing is that they both come from the same director.

Have you seen the Coen Brothers' version of True Grit? I have yet to watch the John Wayne version but it is on my to watch list. I really liked the Coen Brothers film so hopefully the original is even better.

Guillermo del Toro was going to direct The Hobbit, though? Wat? Jeez he probably would have saved it. Poor Peter Jackson, I don't know what happened to him. Lord of the Rings was so amazing... and then we get The Hobbit... I was so looking forward to it, it still upsets me that it was such a disappointment.

Also I'm sorry you had to go see that Chipmunk film. :lol: Sounds torturous.
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Physical-Pancakes » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:24 am

I totally agree with your description of Harrison Ford, another reason to love that movie, he was probably my first celebrity crush. I don't think Miss Congeniality is bad, as much Miss Congeniality 2, it's at the point where I own a dvd of the movie and keep it hidden, because I really it, but it's nit the best sequel out there. It's also a fun chick flick, and I like that it focuses less on romance than the first one, but most of the jokes fall pretty flat, so I dunno. If you like noir films at all I'd definitely recommend Murder, My Sweet, it was based on a novel called Farewell, My Darling, but the changed the name because the lead actor was known for musicals, and they were worried about confusing the audience. I can't say it's better than the maltese falcon (I have yet to see that one.) but it's pretty good as far as noir's go.

I liked the plot of a fistfull of dollars, with clint eastwood helping that lady and her family, the issue was that I didn't understand his motivation to do so at all, and yeah, I can never tell who is who in any movie until at least the second act, and so I had no clue who was in which gang, but I did really enjoy that final showdown, and the classic bullet proof vest of course. I almost forgot to mention Clint Eastwoods own cinematography, but I guess that's way more prevalent in, like, Hang 'em High. That's a pretty okay western too, but I don't think it holds a candle to The Good the bad and the ugly.

I have seen the cohen brothers True Grit, and it's a really great movie, and remake, it takes the plot, and elements from the original, and changes them enough to make an original movie, while still keeping the heart of the story. The main differences are that Jeff Bridges's Rooster Cogburn is more of a... Realistic drunk, I guess would be the word, while John Wayne's Rooster is more of a hollywood lovable drunk. I wouldn't call the original even better, actually, they're both really strong movies, it just depends on what you like. The original has a bit more of an optimistic ending, with John Wayne riding off into the sunset while Mattie Ross waves at him, (she doesn't get bitten by a snake in that movie, as far as I remember). So if you like darker story lines, then you'll probably like the remake better, but if you're more into the optimistic endings then the original probably will be better for you.

Yeah, the hobbit did not need to be three movies, I heard the Peter Jackson didn't even want to direct it, he just got roped into it, so that pretty much sucks, could have been a way better movie, but oh well I guess, I mean, at least we'll always have the Lord of the rings.

Anyways, speaking of the Cohen Brothers True Grit, how exited is everyone for their new movie Hail Caesar?
“If this could be -
The high Sierras I would level to your feet -
The wild waves on Capistrano's shore should
pay you homage - I'd make the desert a
million roses yield - - to die in shame
before your beauty- If this could be!”
~Zorro, The Mark of Zorro, 1920
Physical-Pancakes

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silverhart » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:04 pm

That's true polerberr - about less films in animation seeming to directly compete nowadays. I like that, personally. I know Pixar was working on a film a few years back called 'Newt', which was basically the same plot of 'Rio'. It was canceled, and people seem to think the release of 'Rio' that made them decide to shelf the project, which only makes me have more questions honestly. XD 'Moana' looks great! I cannot wait for it! And since I'm a Kipling fan, I'm also super curious about the new 'Jungle Book' and if it will resemble the animated film or the book more closely. My favorite film version is still the 1942 live-action film with Sabu. It's absolutely beautiful, and I would definitely recommend it.

Ah, these are all movies that are on my list of things to see!

Just tonight I watched 'The Magnificent Seven'. It was fantastic! Now I'm really curious to watch 'Seven Samurai'. I could've sworn I've seen it before, but I think I'm confusing it with 'Throne of Blood' - another excellent Japanese film from the 50's. (I keep a list of all the films I've seen, and 'Seven Samurai' isn't on it - yes, I know, I'm a nerd. XP) But yeah, I haven't seen any of those Westerns (other then the 'True-Grit' remake). They're all on my 'must-watch' list though. It's funny - I seem to gravitate toward the more obscure Westerns, or the more comedy focused ones then the really epic, good ones. XD My grandpa's a huge John Wayne fan though. I'll have to see about maybe inviting him over to watch the original 'True Grit' with me sometime.

I haven't seen 'The Hobbit' films, but having read 'The Hobbit' I'm truly baffled that they were able to make any kind of movie out of it, let alone three. It holds a very rare distinction of being one of the only books to put me straight to sleep (which says a lot since I read some pretty dry history books for fun). It was like pulling teeth to get through it.

I don't know enough about their new film to make any real comment on it. I mostly stick to the old stuff, unless it's animated. From the trailers it looks pretty interesting though. Probably won't check it out unless I get some good recommendations on it, but that's how I am with a lot of movies.
Silverhart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me