Least favorite book

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Re: Least favorite book

Postby Cassini » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:58 pm

partly cloudy wrote:
impidimp wrote:
anything by john green lol. man has no talent and is a weirdo, and i don't mean that as a compliment

definitely agree... some most of his books are awkward and bizarre

I'm more than a little concerned that [at least as far as i'm aware] all of his books seem to focus on the often perverse and highly unfiltered lives of teenagers. (I do however hold nothing against other authors who actually manage to pull off writing similarly themed texts) When I was younger I adored Looking For Alaska, but through skimming the text during a room clean out I was disgusted that an adult man was s*xualising a 16 year old girl to the point of some of her main defining traits being ""she really likes s*x, she cheats on all her partners because she likes s*x so much, and is in a questionable relationship with a man several years older than her."" Green also grotesquely described her s*xually-appealing qualities in great detail numerous times throughout the text. Again, this character is suppose to be 16. I find this completely inappropriate coming from an adult man.

Obviously there are a plethora of other issues with his works but I frankly can't be bothered to write them haha
cass | she/they | trades | gallery███████
Cassini

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby POSTAL 2 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:18 am

bluebudgie wrote:I really didn't like Tuck Everlasting. I just can't stand the main character. It was a little boring too.

I don't like the newer Warrior books. I find the characters really annoying. The older books were good but now I just stopped reading them.

This is an old post, but, personally? Tuck Everlasting is one of the best books i've ever read.
We read it in school a couple of years ago, and honestly it had me on the edge of my seat. I wanted to keep reading to find out what happened. We even watched the movie when we were done reading the book (although i think i was sick that day because i remember i didn't go the day that happened)
Warriors is one of my favorite book series of all time, personally. I don't find as much interest in it as i used to (mostly because i refuse to read anything other than manga/comics now unless it's for school, even then Warriors got a manga anyways) but when i used to love it it was my favorite. I read it very rarely now, though.
You're entitled to your own opinion, but i personally disagree.

max | any neoprns/him | may 5 | adult | i like to um. half,ife

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
POSTAL 2

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PARK » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:53 am

TECHNOPHYLE wrote:
partly cloudy wrote:
impidimp wrote:
anything by john green lol. man has no talent and is a weirdo, and i don't mean that as a compliment

definitely agree... some most of his books are awkward and bizarre

I'm more than a little concerned that [at least as far as i'm aware] all of his books seem to focus on the often perverse and highly unfiltered lives of teenagers. (I do however hold nothing against other authors who actually manage to pull off writing similarly themed texts) When I was younger I adored Looking For Alaska, but through skimming the text during a room clean out I was disgusted that an adult man was s*xualising a 16 year old girl to the point of some of her main defining traits being ""she really likes s*x, she cheats on all her partners because she likes s*x so much, and is in a questionable relationship with a man several years older than her."" Green also grotesquely described her s*xually-appealing qualities in great detail numerous times throughout the text. Again, this character is suppose to be 16. I find this completely inappropriate coming from an adult man.

Obviously there are a plethora of other issues with his works but I frankly can't be bothered to write them haha

yes, thank you! someone gets it
he's such a creep and his writing style is mediocre at best
PARK

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ghostie.. » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:02 pm

Kawaii wrote:I have to read To Kill a Mockingbird for school and tbh it's complete garbage.
It's boring, the plot is non existent, and it's just the worst thing i have ever read. 0/10. Burn it in a fire.

oof. my heart xD

I actually really adored "To Kill a Mockingbird", though mostly for the character Atticus. Seeing him try to shape the hearts and minds of a town who just wasn't ready for it was such a catch for me. Its the book that kicked off a "must read all the classics" phase. Though I definitely see why others don't like it; it is quite slow in the beginning ^^;

the Scarlet Letter on the other hand... yikes. The plot was predictable to the point of me being capable of writing a complete essay after only reading the first three chapters. (I got an A+ on the essay, ahahaha).

ghostie..

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:36 pm

snapdragon. wrote:
Kawaii wrote:I have to read To Kill a Mockingbird for school and tbh it's complete garbage.
It's boring, the plot is non existent, and it's just the worst thing i have ever read. 0/10. Burn it in a fire.

oof. my heart xD

I actually really adored "To Kill a Mockingbird", though mostly for the character Atticus. Seeing him try to shape the hearts and minds of a town who just wasn't ready for it was such a catch for me. Its the book that kicked off a "must read all the classics" phase. Though I definitely see why others don't like it; it is quite slow in the beginning ^^;

the Scarlet Letter on the other hand... yikes. The plot was predictable to the point of me being capable of writing a complete essay after only reading the first three chapters. (I got an A+ on the essay, ahahaha).

uhm hello. Yeah I didn't like TKaM because its always super hyped up to represent racial issues but that is actually about 20% of the plot the rest is kids conspiracy theories about that guy who never leaves his house.
Also the author really lets down with the racial part because the guy on trial tries to break out of jail before they even pass the sentence and I really feel like that...just makes the character look guilty which I don't think the author wanted to make you feel that way, but I think they didn't handle it fantastically

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ghostie.. » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:28 am

TheSongOfTheStars wrote:
snapdragon. wrote:
Kawaii wrote:snip.

snip.

uhm hello. Yeah I didn't like TKaM because its always super hyped up to represent racial issues but that is actually about 20% of the plot the rest is kids conspiracy theories about that guy who never leaves his house.
Also the author really lets down with the racial part because the guy on trial tries to break out of jail before they even pass the sentence and I really feel like that...just makes the character look guilty which I don't think the author wanted to make you feel that way, but I think they didn't handle it fantastically

Hi! I think in the books defense, you do have to remember that this is all based in the perspective of Scout, a young (6-9, I think? It’s been a while since I read the book) girl, the daughter of the lawyer defending the accused. Which is why some of the racial issues are downplayed, because it’s a broad and frightening topic to try to explain to a kid, especially in the time of the Great Depression when racial tensions were so high and ‘equality’ was a newer idea.

Though, I do know for certain that the accused was shot attempting to flee after being found guilty despite the very plausible alternate explanation that Atticus offered to the jury - that the young woman was attacked by her father rather than the accused.

I have to respectfully disagree over the fact that you don’t think that racial issues play a bigger part in this book. Throughout the entire novel, Atticus does his best to impose the thought that you shouldn’t judge a man unless you’ve “walked a mile in his skin”. Defending a poor, African American boy despite very real threats from his neighbors (when they tried to gang up and hurt/threaten him into dropping the case, only to be somewhat foiled by Scout’s sudden appearance), to scolding his children for disturbing the recluse “Boo” Radley. Who, as I recall, is white but did suffer mental issues due to an accident in his childhood.

You really have to almost step back to really get the entire story from To Kill a Mockingbird, and try to imagine yourself in the Alabama town which is something I really enjoyed in the novel, though it’s easy to see why others wouldn’t like it as much.

Sorry for rambling, this book means a lot to me, shdjskskssk. Though I respect your opinion and can see why not everyone likes it.
ghostie..

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:29 am

All those points are fair and I guess my memory isn't that good

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FlareChain » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:19 pm

I dont read a lot anymore, but easily everything after the first season of Warrior Cats, except the first half of Dawn of the Clans, the Mangas and most of the Super Editions. (Except SkyClan's destiny, that one was just bad)
I dont know... the first 6 books of Warriors is pretty good, it offered something new and most of the characters were pretty damn solid, such as Lionheart, Yellowfang, Fireheart, Graystripe, Ravenpaw, Tigerclaw, Bluestar, Whitestorm, Cinderpelt etc. and the plot, which stretched over the entire 6 books was exciting and well written as well. However, the quality of the books slowly began to drop with "The new prophecy"; which, I admit, starts of decent with interesting characters right from the start but slowly drops when the fourth book rolls around. But the real damn starts with "The power of three" and especially "omen of the stars" which is just.... soooo bad....
I really started to dislike the characters in Power of Three, which only got worse with every new book where all the characters started to get more and more hollow, boring and just generally....bland... I really couldnt care less about the protagonists of the omen of the starts books and most of the background characters don't even have more than 1 personality trait or any depth whatsoever. They kill off uninteresting characters while the protagonists live for eternity.
Characters like Dovewing, Ivypool, Lionblaze etc. are just so damn awful, and by Omen of the Stars, there are only a few exceptions I still care about (like Jayfeather, for example) and I just continued reading in the hopes that the godawful written goody 2 shoes characters all die. (ESPECIALLY Squirrelflight. Omg I do hate this character sooo much)

Most of the Super Editions were still good and all of the Manga's were enjoyable, and after I read Dawn of the Clans 2 years ago, I was fairly surprised how much better this season was. However, that only applied for the first half of books, until they started to do some very odd, weird writing again... Clear Sky's redemption arc was horribly written, characters like Star Flower were just terrible and the forced drama in the last two books was painful to read. Not to mention that most of the scenes seemed rushed as well...

I heard that season 6 was good again, but I really, really don't want to read those books again - imo the Erin's should finally finish this book series, or at least try something completely new like Dawn of the Clans, but instead of telling the story of their ancestors, the story could set in 50 years in the future or something like that.
I loved the books when I was 11/12/13, but now, so many years later, I honestly can't see why so many people - especially in a older age - would go crazy over those books, since on top of that, they are not even written very well - and I don't only mean the characters or some weird prophecy plots.
(And to be honest - my favourite characters, aside from Yellowfang and Jayfeather, must be all the villains, since they at least try to make the books more exciting and try to kill off all those boring, one dimensional characters xD)

Young Dragon & Furry Artist
DeviantART|||Instagram
FlareChain

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Johto » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:03 am

The book Hatchet. Reading it was a struggle for me, honestly.
Anna | She/her | Nonbinary
Fictional middle aged
man Enthusiast | I love
Zelda, Pokemon, Sonic,
FFXIV, No More Heroes,
MGR, Okami and Devil May Cry

I love animals in general, I
think marine life is really cool

Fandoms on my Carrd
Carrd | Toyhouse | Click if you dare
Funny video that I change sometimes

(I go by TwilightBard on most platforms)
Johto

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby POSTAL 2 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:22 am

Oh yeah, first post on this page reminds me, SkyClan's Destiny was garbage lmao

I don't like Pokemon Adventures Diamond, Pearl and Platinum. Out of all the Pokespe books i have read, that specific arc is the only one i did not like.
Platinum was annoying and so was Pearl. It was a boring read, and the only character i liked was Diamond.
2/10 would not recommend
If you wanna read Pokespe read, like, GSC or RSE. Those are super good reads.

max | any neoprns/him | may 5 | adult | i like to um. half,ife

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
POSTAL 2

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me