Oekaki Board Changes - IN PROGRESS - instructions inside

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Please tell us what you'd like for the oekaki organisation!

The new suggested changes sound good, let's give it a go!
76%
I prefer the original organisation (Beginners - Advanced, Sketches)
17%
I don't have a preference
7%

Total votes : 391

Oekaki Board Changes - IN PROGRESS - instructions inside

Postby Tess » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:01 pm

Thanks everyone for your feedback! We will add new boards and start re-sorting the old boards soon.

Topics in these boards will soon be moved: Beginners, Intermediate, Advanced, Sketches & Experiments

Once the new categories have been added, please feel free to post your art to those. Access to the old boards will soon become restricted to prevent new posts being added to them. Once we have finished sorting all the old topics into the new boards, the old boards will be removed.

Moderators are moving all of your topics manually, so this may take several weeks to get everything sorted. Thank you for your patience!

OPTIONAL: If you want to help us to sort your own oekaki topics out of the old boards:
Please edit an initial into the start of the topic title to let us know which board you want it in like so:
  • Add (H) for Human/Humanoid
  • Add (X) for Anthro
  • Add (A) for Animals/Creatures
  • Add (L) for Landscape/Scenery
  • Add (O) for Objects/Abstract/Other
  • Add (R) for Reference Sheets

For example:
Old title: Squiddy at the beach
New title: (A) Squiddy at the beach

This will now be sorted into animals.
It's not necessary to rename your topics if you don't want to, as we will get to your topics eventually, but this speeds up the process :)

Recently we asked you to give us feedback about our idea to change some of the oekaki boards!

Please click here to see the earlier topic if you haven't read it yet :)

Boards that would be replaced:
  • Beginner's Oekaki
  • Intermediate Oekaki
  • Advanced Oekaki
  • Sketches and experiments

We had many great ideas and suggestions from you about how to organize the new categories, so we've revised our list accordingly :)

Updated List of suggested replacement boards:
  • Human/Humanoid
  • Anthro (added due to user recommendations)
  • Animals/Creatures
  • Landscape/Scenery
  • Objects/Abstract/Other
  • Reference Sheets
We will also split the Adoptables board into 2 categories:
  • Closed Species/Communities
  • Independent Adoptables/One-offs

Not included:
  • Combos - Many drawings contain multiple subjects e.g. animal+landscape. If your pic could fit in multiple categories, just choose the one category you think best describes your subject.
  • Sketches - Some of you requested that we keep the sketches board, however we feel that this may continue to be used as a general dumping ground. Sketches are welcome on the Oekaki, and should be sorted into whichever board best describes the content. There's no pressure for you to fully finish and polish every drawing that you want to share.

I suggest that we try this split and see how it goes! If we find that some of these categories become too crowded or too empty then we may need to merge or split them further in future, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it :) Staff will re-sort the old topics into these new boards (which will take time, so we will prioritize the most recent posts)

Thanks for voting in the last topic. Please let us know what you think of the updated suggestions in the new poll!
Click here if you need help from CS Staff or General Helpers!
Tess
Admin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Oekaki Board Changes - NEW POLL

Postby grafaiai » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:24 pm

it looks cool! including anthros with humans & humanoids seems a little tough, since the split between bipedal creatures/animals and actual human/oids seems further than the split between them & quadru+pedal creatures/animals.
i'm also hoping the categories will be somewhat lax, since a group of pokemon with their trainer or something like that could go either way? but that's what it sounded like from the combo description :')
is it possible to implement a way to sort your piece after you finish it, or move it more easily? since i (and lots of other artists) tend to end up with a piece pretty different than i initially set out to make, it'd help things end up in the right place without putting too much strain on mods.

also, i don't know if it's just me, but the link to this post in the previous thread doesn't work? it leads me to a "you are not authorized to view this forum" page, i had to find this post in the forums themselves :)

adult 🐸 xe/he 🐵 trashguts
aka tg, cricket, weevil
🐛
discord : trashguts
...but! be warned that i am not
much of a conversationalist

toyhou.se : trashguts
prone to Experiencing Mental Health,
please understand
🦟
adopt & base usage TOS
art shop thread!
🪳
i have lots of free toyhou.se
codes, message me for one
🦗
C4C / AMA / art thread / <3
grafaiai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby liiontai » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:31 pm

If the sketches board is going to be removed, we will need an easier to way to change what board it ends up going into. The subject of a drawing changes very easily, so perhaps it will be better to pick the board in the publishing step? Oftentimes the subject i’m drawing changes drastically, as most of the time I don’t go into a drawing with a specific goal in mind.
ImageImageImage
emily • she/her • lesbian
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
CS HelpArt Shop
My THThistlehooves
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
commissions: OPEN
art trades: closed

hi! :3c call me liion/emily
pm me if you need help !!
used to be liontamer321
liiontai#0492

i'm really into vtubers and
vocaloid at the moment!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Trade Thread • rat collector
aest timezone
ImageImageImage
liiontai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tess » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:34 pm

trashguts wrote:it looks cool! including anthros with humans & humanoids seems a little tough, since the split between bipedal creatures/animals and actual human/oids seems further than the split between them & quadru+pedal creatures/animals.
i'm also hoping the categories will be somewhat lax, since a group of pokemon with their trainer or something like that could go either way? but that's what it sounded like from the combo description :')

I think if you're in any doubt about which board to put something in just pick the board that seems to have the most similar content. We might change that organisation if it seems to not work very well, but I think a lot of anthro art is fairly distinct from other animal art

same for doing something like combo art of pokemon and their trainer - pick the board you think it fits best in. There will always be some that fit equally in 2 or more categories, but in that case they're also not 'wrong' for appearing in one of those 2 boards

is it possible to implement a way to sort your piece after you finish it, or move it more easily? since i (and lots of other artists) tend to end up with a piece pretty different than i initially set out to make, it'd help things end up in the right place without putting too much strain on mods.

Yes we are working on this :)
also, i don't know if it's just me, but the link to this post in the previous thread doesn't work? it leads me to a "you are not authorized to view this forum" page, i had to find this post in the forums themselves :)

Oops, thanks, fixed the link now!
Click here if you need help from CS Staff or General Helpers!
Tess
Admin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:50 am

ooh I didn’t recognise this until now, this is a really good idea! I’m really excited and looking forward to it; it will be much easier to view art I’m interested in personally!

Postby Lostfairy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:02 am

The new list looks perfect to me!! Tess, thank you for willing to listen to the users and also for realizing that the Oekaki boards needed a better sorting system. <3
Lostfairy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby xx. » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:47 am

I'm a little unsure on clumping anthro with human(oid) as this site has a much higher anthro artist base than human base, and if I'm browsing for human art I really dont want to see animals standing on two feet. I think anthro would be better suited to animal since... anthros are still animals more than humans.

the rest however I do love, especially that you took the adoptable situation into account! looking forward to seeing where it goes 💗
xx.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby prisms. » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:03 am

This looks good so far! However I do have a question. Will Comics and Pages still be a thing or will they be removed or changed at all? I use that board sometimes and I was wondering what would happen to it when the boards get sorted.
Quitting cs, wont be v active here,
Carrd has places to find me I guess

toyhouse
prisms.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:34 am

Echoing what others have mentioned about categorizing anthro art. This seems tricky. Back when I browsed art shops, it seemed like anthro art is distinct from both animal/creature art and human art. I myself do not do anthro art; I do human art (or humanoids like elves and vampires that can pass as humans with additional features) and occasionally animal art that has bad anatomy or is heavily chibified. Anthro art seems like something else entirely, as far as drawing goes.

But I definitely get that anthros can visually look more like humanoids than animals/creatures, so as far as viewing is concerned, maybe anthros are closer to humans/humanoids.

But also, animal/creature OCs tend to have anthro forms more often than humans/humanoids have creature/"anthro"/etc forms, I think. So maybe anthros are closer to animals/creatures than humans/humanoids as far as viewing goes, too.

... maybe we need a separate board for anthros? lol

Or maybe they can go in either board, depending on how close to being human or animal the anthro is??? (paws vs hands, snout vs human facial features, etc) idk
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Larkspur1678 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:44 am

I agree with others that anthro/furry art should be separate from humans. I know I personally wouldn’t feel right posting my anthro art in a human category, as they’re still an animal/creature, just on two feet. Also it seems that the demographic interested in furry art is the same one that’s interested in feral art, so putting them in humans is taking them away from that demographic and mixing it into another that isn’t interested in furry art. People can choose to label their style of anthro humanoid if they want to put it in that category, but I feel that it should go into animal/creature by default.

Adult • She/they
Toyhouse

Icon by MRLFRK on FA
Animation by DarkMoonRay on Twitter
Larkspur1678

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me