trying to find a hosting site?

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

trying to find a hosting site?

Postby cosmyn » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:34 pm

ok, so, i can't pay for a domain. i just want to make a site kind of like this with a mix of pokefarm.. however, none of the free hosting i've tried have worked. its starting to get VERY annoying. i have tried the following:
- jcink
- proboards
- hpage
- epizy
[ myn / he - him - his / pokeheroes ]
[ currently accepting trades for ;; C$, WL pets, WL items, pokeheroes stuff ]
cosmyn

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: trying to find a hosting site?

Postby Rolly-chan » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:58 pm

If you want a website with similar features to CS and Pokefarm it will be very hard to do if you don't know how to program, or don't have someone who can program it for you. If you don't know how to program yourself, I suggest asking for help on here. I'm sure there are other people who would like to try programming a game like that - at least I've seen a lot of people offer their help :)

If you do know how to program, that last host you list is actually a suitable host for such a website. It has a lot of good features and, honestly, sounds too good to be true for a free webhost. (though you might run into problems with hotlinking - e.g. you can't post a picture from your website on the CS forum)

But maybe I misunderstood what you intend to do? Are you maybe planning on doing everything manually, just similar to CS and Pokefarm? In that case you won't need a lot of programming knowledge.
Rolly-chan

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cosmyn » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:16 am

it isn’t the best host, considering it said my site was made but none of the changes would save or show on my site. i do intend on making something like cs or pokefarm, but nothing i’ve used so far has every feature i want. hpage makes you pay for forums and member sign up (wild, right?), and epizy wouldn’t save anything.
cosmyn

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rolly-chan » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:42 am

What exactly have you tried to do / how did you set up your website? It says that after adding a domain name for a website, it can take up to 72 hours for the website to become available/visible.

hpage isn't really the right host for a virtual pet website. It's geared towards personal blogs, portfolios and everything with rather static content. The other two (jcink and proboards) are forum hosts, and that's the only thing they host, so you won't be able to create all the functions you might want, for example growable adoptables. You can use them to host your forum, though, if you'd like to separate it from your website.
Rolly-chan

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cosmyn » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:07 pm

proboards has a plugin that were using that adds a pet game, etc, so thats what were using for the time being. i can't have something that doesn't make changes immediately, considering i cant test anything if it doesn't update immediately. this is the current site. most things are temporary as things stand, as were getting art and stuff done.
cosmyn

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby -------------- » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:09 am

I'm using epizy with high php/coding knowledge and i'm running my own pet site on it very well. I'm suggesting you to use Mysidia Adoptables for your own site and other things for forum. On proboards you cannot directly access FTP/Cpanel plus the files. you'd get back to InfinityFree( epizy), it has access to FTP/Cpanel plus the files.

However you can contact our community on https://forum.infinityfree.net

and epizy wouldn’t save anything

How? i don't see how it doesn't save anything. You have to have knowledges about how to work with cpanel and other things else.

And note: Neither of free hosts are best. Premium hosts have everything and the best platform to do premium things on it. They have to be purchased.
--------------

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rolly-chan » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:18 am

Can you tell us exactly what you did on epizy to create your website? Maybe we can help figure out where it went wrong.

You might want to set up a development environment on you local machine instead of editing the active website directly. That's safer and won't break the website for your users when you make new things and test them (and some of those new things inevitably create errors).
You can develop and test the code on your machine and then upload it to your hosting service when you're done.

Xampp is a good php environment that's pretty easy to set up on windows and Mac (also Linux but I assume you're not using a Linux os), for example. There are also other environments if you'd like a more lightweight one, but some are difficult to set up if you haven't done such a setup before.

If you want pets / adopts that grow over time and/or through clicks you will have to write the code for that yourself or copy/use it from free sources (like mysidia or kitto). Both of those give you a good basis imho :)
Rolly-chan

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me