Making a browser-based sim game coding help

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Making a browser-based sim game coding help

Postby DragonFlower » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:12 pm

Hello! I've tried googling, but I've gotten very little answers so I was hoping that perhaps someone on here could help me. I'm looking to learn how to code a pet sim, much along the like of Horse Reality, Lioden, Howrse, and other similar pet breeding websites.

Firstly, I have NO idea what coding format these websites use. Html, Html4, css, flash? What's going on? What sort of tutorials would I want to look up? I want either links to relevant turtoials on how to build this type of site from the ground up, an explantion of how to do it, or just in general what I can google that will help me as my current google searches have resulted in nothing. Thank you.
xxx

" The dog has seldom been succesfull in pulling man up
    to its level of sagacity, but man has frequently dragged
    the dog down to his. "
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx- James Thurber
            xxImagexxImagexxImage
DragonFlower

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Making a browser-based sim game coding help

Postby ~Phantom » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:15 pm

You can have a look here, as these are currently the only ones that people have kindly provided us with.
PHP adoptables
Javascript adoptables
Pet site builders

You will, if you want to make the whole thing purely by yourself with no help, need to know at least HTML (5 is the most recent that browsers go by I'm pretty sure?) Php, Javascript, and css are always helpful to know.
There will not be much information on this site as it is not a coding/help with coding site. You're better off looking at google, specifically stackoverflow and other sites. If I was you, I'd ensure that I knew how to code properly before even thinking about creating a site from the very beginning.
┌─────────────────────────┐

Image Image Imagex

└─────────────────────────┘
~Phantom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby -------------- » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:43 am

DragonFlower wrote:
    Hello! I've tried googling, but I've gotten very little answers so I was hoping that perhaps someone on here could help me. I'm looking to learn how to code a pet sim, much along the like of Horse Reality, Lioden, Howrse, and other similar pet breeding websites.

Firstly, I have NO idea what coding format these websites use. Html, Html4, css, flash? What's going on? What sort of tutorials would I want to look up? I want either links to relevant turtoials on how to build this type of site from the ground up, an explantion of how to do it, or just in general what I can google that will help me as my current google searches have resulted in nothing. Thank you.

Flash can goes harder. that learning coding (such as PHP and Javascript) are take long time to learn them well.

follow which phantom said
--------------

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rolly-chan » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:42 am

What the others said is very much true, but since info like that isn't easily found if you're just starting and don't know where to look, I'd recommend starting with the easy stuff and working yourself up to the more complex stuff. Be aware that it'll probably take a long time until you'll be able to actually create a whole, functional adoptables website (at least if you want functionality similar to the sites you listed).

Start with HTML and CSS. Those aren't programming languages but there for structuring your website. It's good to have a pretty firm grip on them. HTML5 is the current standard, but that should come up once you do some research and find tutorials.

Javascript is what I would recommend tackling next. It's what gives your website an interactive component and makes it more dynamic. Since it might not be that easy to find - I can recommend this (completely free) javascript course:
https://watchandcode.com/p/practical-javascript
It teaches you the most important concepts and features in a practical and easy to understand way (imho, at least). I did that course and think it's good.

And as for your server-side programming language... pick the one you prefer. PHP is very wide-spread still, yes, but it's really not as important to pick the most popular language for your purposes. The major languages out there all have their uses. That said, it's still probably easier if you pick PHP, because there are adoptables "frameworks" out there like kitto.
So, just pick one, find tutorials or courses for it, and go.

And lastly... databases! There is a lot to learn about databases and how to effectively (and safely) use them. Don't underestimate this one.

I recommend learning by doing. Do try to hand-code while you learn, until you get a grip on it. The more you try out, fail and try again until it works, the better you'll get at it (and faster, just reading won't help you).
I guess that's a lot to take in (and it might sound way too much), but it's actually quite fun if you're that way inclined :) Having patience definitely helps.

(to make it more fun - you can absolutely start making more basic websites (and add functionality / edit to improve the more you learn) while you learn! I just wouldn't recommend putting them out there on the web. Leave them in your local environment / on your computer. Imho it's more fun if you create things you actually want to create ^^)
Rolly-chan

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me