Digitally Distinct: Signature Tutorial Thread

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

GIF FAQ

Postby Falls » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:38 pm

This is a compilation of different answers we've received concerning GIF issues:

My overlay turned black! What do I do?
chrome wrote:Usually, you have to redo the overlay. Try saving the files under different names, and then redoing the overlay.

rize wrote:oie is poopy. basically what i do to fix that is take/find a very small image (30x30px) and place it near the corner of the canvas where it isn't interfering with my edit, and continue placing gifs. usually that does the trick.

Beyoncé wrote:Also, you can go to the transparency settings, use the first setting and then click the black area.

Why are my GIF overlays turning out so pixelated?
Levi Ackerman wrote:When using Gifs, make sure they are of the highest quality of that Gif you can find. Because if you don't, the gif turns out grainy when you export it out of the program you are using. [Note from Of The Falls: View the rest of this explanation here.]

One of the GIFs in my overlay keeps flashing! What do I do?
chrome wrote:Usually, you have to redo the overlay. Try saving the files under different names, and then redoing the overlay.

Levi Ackerman wrote:When making a gif overlay, all of the gifs you use have to be the same length, or you cut them to the same length. By length I mean frames. Every gif has at least two frames in order for it to work, like a movie in a way. If you got two gifs and layered them on the same image, they should work, right? Well, yes.

There are a few exceptions to this rule. This is the main exception. If one of them is longer than the other, then it will go for a longer time period. Changing the time of the individual gifs for it to work will not work either since you are merging it all into one gif, it runs on one speed and one speed only.

What I mean is if you have a gif with 20 frames going at 0.1 seconds per frame and then another gif with 10 frames going at 0.2 seconds a frame, it won't work because the whole image will either be 0.1 seconds long or 0.2 seconds long and the image with 10 frames will flash and disappear because of this.

So when making a gif overlay, make sure all of the gifs you use have the same amount of frames, otherwise it will not work.

You can edit the number of frames in your GIF here.
Last edited by Falls on Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
﴾ Ғαℓℓs ﴿

CS Status:
semi-inactive

Coding Help:
click here

Sig Requests:
closed

Emergency?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxI'llxalwaysxacceptxPMsxandxhelpxrequestsxfromxfriendsxandxoldxacquaintances.
Falls

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Digitally Distinct: Signature Tutorial Thread

Postby roelian » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:02 pm

So I did this thing. What do you guys think? ;w;
Please ignore how funky the text box looks, I'm working on that
▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰

text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text
▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰
roelian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Falls » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:05 pm

It looks like a simpler Levi Ackerman piece! (That's a compliment, by the way. xD I really like LA's stuff.)
It looks like you made good use of all the guest tutorials. Well done!
﴾ Ғαℓℓs ﴿

CS Status:
semi-inactive

Coding Help:
click here

Sig Requests:
closed

Emergency?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxI'llxalwaysxacceptxPMsxandxhelpxrequestsxfromxfriendsxandxoldxacquaintances.
Falls

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby roelian » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:10 pm

Thank you ;w;
I'm going to have to save this signature for later though, as I'm not into Attack on Titan enough to use it as a signature yet. XD I need to watch and read more. ; - ; But yes! 3 days ago I hadn't the slightest idea of how to code or do image manipulations! Thank you so much for all the help here! cx

samael || he/they || adult
|| ✧ nep ✧ || ✧ jean ✧ ||
roelian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Goostarion » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:13 pm

NorthStarRaven wrote:So I did this thing. What do you guys think? ;w;
Please ignore how funky the text box looks, I'm working on that
▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰

text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text
▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰

*Late with starbucks to the complement party.*
    It's looking chill as.
    There are a little things here and there that are a little unorthodoxy place, but I won't go into detail unless you want me to describe them out for you; but other than that, it looks really good.

Of The Falls wrote:It looks like a simpler Levi Ackerman piece! (That's a compliment, by the way. xD I really like LA's stuff.)
It looks like you made good use of all the guest tutorials. Well done!

*Flushes* Oh stop it you *Giggles and rolls around in a ball of flusteredness*
    In another topic, would I be able to create a Visual Hierachy tutorial based on Font selection and font visualization? This is something I learnt in college and did an extensive amount of time dedicated to this topic on it.
I am on mobile.
Current mood: Casually being able to talk to the country's parliament is fascinating.
Don’t you want to see a highlight?
Join your union
Goostarion

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Falls » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:15 pm

@NSR:
*falls off chair*
Three DAYS??
Oi, that was quick 0.0

Heh, but I understand how obsession can really speed up that process.
It took me only 3 hours to make the entire tutorial because I was so hardcore focused on that one thing.

@Levi: Visual say what now? *Leans forward* Do tell.
(yes, I know what Hierarchy means. I'm just not familiar with Visual Hierarchy.)
﴾ Ғαℓℓs ﴿

CS Status:
semi-inactive

Coding Help:
click here

Sig Requests:
closed

Emergency?

Falls

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby roelian » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:21 pm

Of The Falls wrote:@NSR:
*falls off chair*
Three DAYS??
Oi, that was quick 0.0

Heh, but I understand how obsession can really speed up that process.

Heheh yeah. .-. I'd been trying to figure it out from various snippets of signatures people had made me before, but it all looked jumbled and wild to me. Having the tutorial and the resources in front of me turned me into a monster. I wasn't going to stop until I'd created my own signature that I deemed worthy. And even now I'm itching to make something better. o-o I have a problem. Please halp. xD

samael || he/they || adult
|| ✧ nep ✧ || ✧ jean ✧ ||
roelian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby watermelon. » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:24 pm

Haha I love how everyone's like "Yeah i made a new signature"
and it's all amazing
then there's me- who could make these cool ones but is too lazy to put in the time

Yessss
[wear a mask] [she/her/hers]
[feel free to dm me]
watermelon.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Goostarion » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:25 pm

Of The Falls wrote:-Snip-
@Levi: Visual say what now? *Leans forward* Do tell.
(yes, I know what Hierarchy means. I'm just not familiar with Visual Hierarchy.)

Visual hierarchy is a form of of visual emphasis on a set of words. For example:

The fox jumped over the lazy dog
    compared to
    compared to
    compared to
    compared to

The emphasis on the doing word here makes the word stand out and it visually is the most important word in the whole sentence. It gives the sentence character because of this.
    There are millions of other alternations between how text is visually emphasized, of course. That was just a short example to try and explain it.
I am on mobile.
Current mood: Casually being able to talk to the country's parliament is fascinating.
Don’t you want to see a highlight?
Join your union
Goostarion

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Falls » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:27 pm

...It hurts...
Y'all be coming in and telling me you got BBCode figured in a week, and then I look at my own track record... And almost wanna cry crocodile tears of BBCoding sorrow. It took me 3 years of tinkering to get sorta good and then make a tutorial. And that wasn't even that good until all our contributors started dropping in.

@Levi: Ah, I see. Sure, you could make a tutorial. We shall see if it makes it to the front page.
BTW, no need to ask for permission to make tutorials. As long as they're not already on the front page, I don't mind.
﴾ Ғαℓℓs ﴿

CS Status:
semi-inactive

Coding Help:
click here

Sig Requests:
closed

Emergency?

Falls

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me