Upcoming Rarity Changes Discussion

Discussion about the Pets, Items, Dress-ups, Events, Site, Forum or other CS features!

Re: Upcoming Rarity Changes Discussion

Postby IndigoNight » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:50 am

Anyone know when the crow rat is from? It recently went rare and I think I have it, but can't find it.
Just yer average flamingly liberal blue-haired ghostwriting mom who refuses to grow up
IndigoNight

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby I'm Grey » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:06 am

IndigoNight wrote:Anyone know when the crow rat is from? It recently went rare and I think I have it, but can't find it.

ᴡʜᴏ ɪs ᴄᴇʟᴇʙʀɪᴛʏ ɴᴜᴍʙᴇʀ sɪx?

space spacespace ʀᴀᴛ ᴄᴏʟʟᴇᴄᴛᴏʀ space
space sʜᴇ/ɪᴛ/sɪʀᴇ spacespace ᴀᴅᴜʟᴛ, ᴋɪɴᴅ ᴏғ spacespace ᴀ ᴊᴏᴋᴇ space
I'm Grey

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby answrs » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:21 pm

*whacks brown retro dog with stick*

WHEN WILL YOU GO RARE IT'S BEEN NINE YEARS I MEAN HONESTLY

/deep sigh
After 11 years of seeking, I finally obtained my all-time dream on October 1, 2020 ;w;

answrs

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Obius » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:51 pm

Answrs wrote:.

/deep sigh

It all boils down to math and the number of active users/ retired users who kept those pets. Here are a few possibilities to consider.

1. Recirculation from quitting users. Usually when someone quits, they dump most of their uncommons and under in giveaways. The rarer the pet, the less likely they are to give them up (in case they want to come back). So they log off forever (or a really long time) keeping the rarer pets offline.

2. The pound recirculates pets. Most pound pets are from multi account cheaters. Once they are banned, all the pets get put up for adoption. This means more pets to fewer users. (All those extra accounts no longer count but their pets still do...) Many users donate to the pound as well instead of doing giveaways. I have donated many unwanted pets (nearly all uncommon and under) to the pound so they go to better homes.

3. CS growth in not linear. In theory, every pet should reach maximum rarity cap** eventually. But that only works if users join exponentially. If 1000 users joined when CS first opened, a pet that is uncommon (say 1 in 10, or 100 in all) will become OMGSR when the number of accounts pass 100,000 (without re-release). But if 100,000 users adopted now, an uncommon pet (also 1 in 10, or 10,000), you would need to pass 10 million users (without re-releases) for those 10,000 pets to become OMGSR. Instead, a 100,000 to 200,000 increase would not be as big for the pet's value. (It would merely double its worth, 1 in 20) If a rare is less than 1 in 40, it would take more than 400,000 registered active accounts to reach rare status. (Or enough of them go offline long enough to do it) At the current number of 10,000, more than 50% would need to disappear forever to reach rare status.

**Christmas is the rarity cap. It is why the vast majority of pets will never be list pets (since rares show up more often than very rares.). The only pets that grow in rarity forever are store pets. They are guaranteed to be the rarest given enough time.

So a small bit of advice: Ditch the unpopular pet for a prettier one that has a better return on your investment.
Paying 6 c$ per each!
.Image

We come bearing COOKIES!!!
ImageImage
I love Lemurs!
Obius

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby answrs » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:01 am

Obius wrote:
Answrs wrote:.

/deep sigh

It all boils down to math and the number of active users/ retired users who kept those pets. Here are a few possibilities to consider.

1. Recirculation from quitting users. Usually when someone quits, they dump most of their uncommons and under in giveaways. The rarer the pet, the less likely they are to give them up (in case they want to come back). So they log off forever (or a really long time) keeping the rarer pets offline.

2. The pound recirculates pets. Most pound pets are from multi account cheaters. Once they are banned, all the pets get put up for adoption. This means more pets to fewer users. (All those extra accounts no longer count but their pets still do...) Many users donate to the pound as well instead of doing giveaways. I have donated many unwanted pets (nearly all uncommon and under) to the pound so they go to better homes.

3. CS growth in not linear. In theory, every pet should reach maximum rarity cap** eventually. But that only works if users join exponentially. If 1000 users joined when CS first opened, a pet that is uncommon (say 1 in 10, or 100 in all) will become OMGSR when the number of accounts pass 100,000 (without re-release). But if 100,000 users adopted now, an uncommon pet (also 1 in 10, or 10,000), you would need to pass 10 million users (without re-releases) for those 10,000 pets to become OMGSR. Instead, a 100,000 to 200,000 increase would not be as big for the pet's value. (It would merely double its worth, 1 in 20) If a rare is less than 1 in 40, it would take more than 400,000 registered active accounts to reach rare status. (Or enough of them go offline long enough to do it) At the current number of 10,000, more than 50% would need to disappear forever to reach rare status.

**Christmas is the rarity cap. It is why the vast majority of pets will never be list pets (since rares show up more often than very rares.). The only pets that grow in rarity forever are store pets. They are guaranteed to be the rarest given enough time.

So a small bit of advice: Ditch the unpopular pet for a prettier one that has a better return on your investment.
I know how rarity works and is calculated. It was a frustration post. I was here before (official) rarity was a thing.

We were having this same conversation back in 2014 about this same dog.
Also it's a hoard pet so insulting its appearance is in bad taste, even if it didn't hold sentimental value, insulting the art and thus artist is still in bad taste. >>
After 11 years of seeking, I finally obtained my all-time dream on October 1, 2020 ;w;

answrs

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Obius » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:25 am

My apologies for not realizing you were an older, more experienced user. It is not a habit of mines to check users profiles regularly (I have not used a computer to play CS in over 5 years. Avatar profiles are not loaded in mobile). I was merely reacting to your post.

As for the "insulting bit", I do not consider saying "prettier one" to be disrespectful in the least. I might as well say more popular or cooler instead and it would be the same thing to me. If I really wanted to be insulting, I would have specifically called the pet something bad.

And yes that pet is unpopular. It has been sitting in my trade groups for years with little interest from others. I still have it in trades btw. Just because a pet is supposedly hoarded does not mean it is widely wanted. Rats are hoarded in excess by very few people. But if you try to get a fair trade with one.. well.. you are in for alot of unfair cancels and years of watching the pet sit.
Paying 6 c$ per each!
.Image

We come bearing COOKIES!!!
ImageImage
I love Lemurs!
Obius

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SkywardtheDragon » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:55 pm

I may have a theory about the brown spot and trading: it doesn’t get traded for much because there’s very few uncommon pets from that time. Many don’t like trading down rarity, and the three-month rule is the easiest and most common trade to understand, but there are very few uncommons from those three-month periods before and after.
Lights off!

ProtectImagePickles

SkywardtheDragon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Michael's Fan. » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:27 pm

i think this one became rare!
Michael's Fan.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SkywardtheDragon » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:24 am

Finally, the uncommon dog is uncommon.
Lights off!

ProtectImagePickles

SkywardtheDragon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bark » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:01 pm

The GH litter from this year are uncommon? Wow. I think it's because of the adoption limit, it was rather smaller than last year. (Please correct me if I'm wrong or I'm just not remembering right) Pretty cool!

Plus the bat on the site's anniversary release from this year is another interesting change. At least it wasn't the malk dragon, I don't want people to start hyping on it again rip

SkywardtheDragon wrote:Image
Finally, the uncommon dog is uncommon.

Agreed 👌👌👌👌👌
bark

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me