What do trading terms mean to YOU?

Discussion about the Pets, Items, Dress-ups, Events, Site, Forum or other CS features!

What do trading terms mean to YOU?

Postby Darkcloud! » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:52 am

I've noticed a lot of inconsistency across trading lingo/terms- what I mean is terms like:
-overpay
-trading down
-first come, first serve (FCFS)
-not for trade (NFT)
-re-send
-suggestion

-Overpay could be one single more pet, or 3-4 rares!
-Trading down ranges from "nothing under a rare" to "only want the exact same rarity or higher"
-FCFS could mean you accept the first one and then see if anyone re-sends and accept those, since they traded with you first- or you just accept whatever is next in the list and tough luck to any auto-cancels.
-NFT could be absolutely NEVER for trade, or only for a dreamie/right offer
-Re-send could be when it auto-cancels or if the other person declined without an edit or message.
-suggestion could be that you want the other person to edit, or that you aren't quite ready to commit to the trade

I've found that when two users use these terms in different ways, it tends to make trading impossible and people get combative.

What do these or other trading terms mean to you? I'd love to see if there's any sort of consistency with how users handle them:
for example, if someone says they will only take overpay, how do you judge what to offer?
when you do FCFS, do you look for re-sends and accept them?
do you accept re-sends if you cancelled a trade without a message?
if you send a suggestion/accept them, is it to signal a desire to barter or some other purpose?

Would it be helpful to put together a guide on these terms/ what people generally think is the etiquette behind them?

semi-active, missed years 2012 and 2013 entirely- about halfway to catching up!
Looking to complete years 2011, 2014-16 and 2021-23!
Darkcloud!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: What do trading terms mean to YOU?

Postby autoRegenesis » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:13 am

Ooh, interesting questions! Let's see... for my part:

Overpay: Hard for me to judge when it comes to high-value stuff (where you get into the MA's and NON's and such), but more straightforward when it comes to average everyday pets. A 2020 rare is worth another 2020 rare. Overpay for that rare would be the addition of other rares (from the same year or otherwise), or added C$. When I overpaid for the banner cocoon last Halloween, I included (if I remember correctly) some C$ and a handful of wishlist pets.

'Trading Down': Trading a pet of a higher rarity for several pets of a lower rarity. Maybe also trading an older pet for several more recent ones, but I usually think of trade-downs as being primarily rarity-based.

First come, first serve: Admittedly only something I ever did personally once, but when I ran a giveaway, I never prioritized resends--trades were coming far too fast for that to be viable, so I usually expect the same of anyone offering something on a FCFS basis.

Not for trade: To me, not for trade means not for trade. That's why my Butterfly Wolf spares folder is labeled as "Very hard to trade for"--with the right offer, I'd part with some. I'm personally part of the "If you don't want offers on it, lock the group" school of thought for full-on NFT stuff. A pet in an unlocked group labeled "NFT" is not something I'd ever offer on, though.

Re-send: I consider a resend to only be due to an auto-cancel. If someone cancels a trade without message, I take that as a "they are not interested at all" and move on. I usually don't cancel trades without a message unless my reasoning for cancelling is "eh, nah."

Suggestion: Suggestion, in my view, is any trade sent as editable. No further nuance beyond that.

As for the guide question, I don't think it's feasible because there's so much difference in meaning when terms are used. Standardization just isn't possible.
Sir Quacksly Quackington, Dapperest of Ducks

Avatar by rainbowpanda101, check them out!
autoRegenesis

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: What do trading terms mean to YOU?

Postby Darkcloud! » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:39 am

Thanks for chiming in! I agree with a lot of this and is how I do things too.

The only one that I would do differently is FSFC- in my head, if someone was first, it's not their fault that they got auto-cancelled, and if I continue to ignore their resends, they will always end up at the end of line- I like to use the search bar at the bottom of the trade page for that.

That being said, if other people chime in and have the same outlook as you, I feel like there could be a guide made since those are all fairly simple explanations.

semi-active, missed years 2012 and 2013 entirely- about halfway to catching up!
Looking to complete years 2011, 2014-16 and 2021-23!
Darkcloud!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me