how long do y'all wait to cancel a trade?

Discussion about the Pets, Items, Dress-ups, Events, Site, Forum or other CS features!

how long do y'all wait to cancel a trade?

Postby daggersandarrows » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:01 am

Exactly the title; I've only recently returned from a long hiatus and I'm trying to figure out the ins and outs of trading again and I never did much of it to begin with...anyone have a standard amount of time they wait? Just to free up pets who are selected from that trade, I think I'd kinda wait indefinitely for adoption center stuff.
returning user.
adult.
it/its.
trade with me
i LOVE malk foxes and i like fennecs, butterfly wolves, and anything biology or rainbow themed
salamoonder on flight rising
daggersandarrows

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: how long do y'all wait to cancel a trade?

Postby the taco » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:02 am

It all depends if I have a lot of active trades and want free space, like a week, especially if the user has been inactive. If they've been active, maybe shoot a pm? Honestly, I'm not super picky with that and have waited longer than that before canceling.
Image Image
the taco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby joe cool » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:05 am

I wait one week. That way it gives both me and the person I sent the trade to respond in a timely manner.

For myself, I reply to trades within one day, but its closer to a couple hours at maximum. I don't like wasting anyone's time, so my turnaround for a response is typically quick.
snoopy | any pronouns
snoopy connoisseur and promoter
i like to gift people often!
joe cool

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby P1nkStrawberryBurst » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:33 am

I know that people can get busy sometimes, and log in only once a month. So I give them a full month.

For me though, I respond to trades ASAP. Unless I'm asleep of course.
P1nkStrawberryBurst

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Juliamon » Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:11 am

I generally wait a week. Most trades I initiate are with people who had just posted in a trade thread or bumped their own trade thread, so I figure a week's generous enough--if you don't want trades Right Now, don't post Right Now! The week leeway is just in case they lost connection or otherwise were pulled AFK, or are using the FTT (I've been on the other side of a trade in all three situations so I understand), and I don't like keeping pets tied up much longer than that without at least some communication... especially during events where I'm trying to help THEM out by giving them a dupe of mine that they asked for.

If someone sends me a trade and I don't want to accept it right away, I typically message them to let them know the situation so they don't think I'm going to leave it there to rot. I figure that if something would annoy me, it would annoy someone else, so I want to be courteous.
she/they, adult
Juliamon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Regency » Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:15 am

At the end of the month I clear most of my trades; with the exception of new ones and auction attempts/art payments. There's one that I kept for months because I was holding out hope the person would come back online. It was a trade of over 300 deer from someone who was quitting. I removed all deer I already have from my WL so that I could focus on completing the collection. I had to sort through over 1000 pages (stopped at December 2013) of pets and pick out all the deer. A few months later I finally decided to cancel.
I clear it more frequently during events. Depending on what duplicates I have, my trade box blows up if I post in the swap thread. Same for monthlies I guess. Events can sit for a week or so before being cleared.
Regency

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Concept » Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:57 am

For me, I usually let a trade sit for a week or two. Maybe a few days if I manage to get the pets elsewhere. I never cancel right away unless it was a mistake and if that happens I leave a message on the trade explaining why! Since my own life is busy and I can forget I have a trade if I only get a chance to glance at it before I have to be somewhere, I wouldn't hold anyone else to standards I don't hold myself to XD
Concept
Official Artist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me