Full Collections vs Specific Collections; how to sort?

Discussion about the Pets, Items, Dress-ups, Events, Site, Forum or other CS features!

Full Collections vs Specific Collections; how to sort?

Postby TANKMEN » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:10 pm

this is something that was on my mind as im starting to figure out what i want to work on on CS!

if you are going for a full collection of any kind (month, event, year, specific lines, full 100%) but ALSO have a specific niche collection - how do you organize these pets when they would be in more than one group at once?

for example, say you collect all 2023 pets and all PPS pets and have separate groups for each. if you got a 2023 PPS, which group does it go in? would you have to get a double to put it in both groups, or does one group take precedence over another?

if you get doubles, how do you handle super rare pets, list pets and OMGSRs and the like?

wondering peoples thoughts and practices on this!
Image TANK » THEY/XEY/SHE/PUP

------Autistic Adult PF-DID system
------Ex-2009 player
------PPS Collector and forever child!
PFP: @jijistu
TANKMEN

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Full Collections vs Specific Collections; how to sort?

Postby Solloby » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:20 pm

I would do this:

Dogs
Dogs PPS
Dogs 2023
Dogs 2023 PPS <-- the pet would go here in your example

Some of my groups (e.g. Dogs 2008) are incomplete because some of the pets are in dress up groups instead. It doesn't bother me because I know I own the dog and roughly where it is. If they are more common pets then I think it's fine to collect two if you want one for the main group and one for a special collection. But for rarer pets I wouldn't bother.
Solloby
I take care of the CS archives and
sometimes submit pet/item designs.

Characters :: Artwork

Help
You can find Help in the main navigation menu.
If your question or problem is not answered there, please use the Help System.
I am not a mod and cannot help you so please don't PM me for site help.
Solloby
Archivist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wookieinmashoo » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:19 am

I have a specific created section just for collections and anything above it (except monthly and events) are duplicates of some sort. I don't organize pets by date, I feel that's a bit too much for me. If I did, I would pick the example given above. I have Dogs, Dogs (altered) [for significant edits since dogs are the most likely to get them], and Dogs (PPS). I really wish there was a way to make breaks and subsections without having to resort to making empty groups for labels
Wookieinmashoo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TANKMEN » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:38 am

thank you guys for the responses! hearing what other people do (or would do) really helps me figure out how i want to sort my own pets :D

Solloby wrote:I would do this:

Dogs
Dogs PPS
Dogs 2023
Dogs 2023 PPS <-- the pet would go here in your example

Some of my groups (e.g. Dogs 2008) are incomplete because some of the pets are in dress up groups instead. It doesn't bother me because I know I own the dog and roughly where it is. If they are more common pets then I think it's fine to collect two if you want one for the main group and one for a special collection. But for rarer pets I wouldn't bother.

i really like this suggestion, thank you! i know that trying to collect doubles of some of the most desired pets in the game (PPS in particular) would be a losing battle so this is a really good way to be 'inclusive'.

i still wanna hear what other people do if anyone has any other ideas :D
Image TANK » THEY/XEY/SHE/PUP

------Autistic Adult PF-DID system
------Ex-2009 player
------PPS Collector and forever child!
PFP: @jijistu
TANKMEN

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ButterflyChaser » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:11 pm

I view my individual year sets as kind of a holding pen until I find a more fitting group. They are seldom ever complete because of this.

Oddly I have this thing ever since I joined CS to have a focus on the pets I get in each litter without trading. Those pets typically stay in my yearly groups unless I have more than 3. If so, one I'll usually bump to my trade groups.

The pets I get in trades, from the pound, and and re-released pets typically get sorted into one of my themed groups. It does get tricky if I get only one pet that fits more than one theme. I may bounce it around until I am satisfied.

Also I don't do hoards of single pets. My preference is instead to gather as many pets that fit the chosen theme instead. This system does not require completion. Each theme is an ongoing project with no set endpoint.

I do however like to own as many pets as I can, so I can own a complete set. They just don't have to be in the same place.
Looking for: Halloween 2019 pets. I have tokens but missed the trade in times due to no internet access the end of October.
ButterflyChaser

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me