Dates don't matter that much campaign!

Discussion about the Pets, Items, Dress-ups, Events, Site, Forum or other CS features!

Re: Dates don't matter that much campaign!

Postby musicgurl333 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:45 am

I tried the experiment again with some uncommon pets. Like last time, I picked 20 users randomly and looked at the open groups (pets were added to my WL for easier searching.)

Jan '20

Jan '16

Jan '12

March '10

Jan '09
musicgurl333

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Poserpanda » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:25 pm

I think I understand what is going on in this campaign, and I approve of what I can comprehend.

Neoncherry64 wrote:100% support everything said here!!! It’s kinda sad though, because things don’t seem to be changing in the economy anytime soon. The only thing that would 100% convince everyone into trading differently is if another rarity upheaval was introduced with like, a “uncommon+” rarity in between rare and uncommon. Or maybe a rarity in between R and VR. But that probably won’t happen.

I like this idea, but if it ran in the opposite direction. Instead of adding more rarities, why not take away rarities? There's less colors and names to come up with, the graphic wouldn't have to be changed much either. I think it may complicate things less. Not sure though. Or, instead of adding more rarities/taking them away, why not re-release even more pets?

still wrote:It’s the same problem with the c$ math and the list conversions; at a certain point, all of the rules just get ridiculous and contradictory. It makes it really hard to trade for pets I actually want, because it always feels like I have to overpay just to make sure I’m not inadvertently sending an unfair trade.

People keep using terms like, "Non" and "List". I'm not entirely sure what they mean, but they seem to be arbitrary terms based on which artist made one really cool piece of art that will not be released again? :what: I have no idea. But I have had that sort of thing happen to me.
Paraphrasing what people say in cancelled trades wrote:You sent me an unfair trade! I have rules! :x

I don't know what every single user considers to be fair for a trade of their pets. There are a ton of people on here who may not be able to trade "fairly" with others, just because of the different set of rules that everyone has. What's fair to one person, isn't fair to another, just based on how they feel about certain art. I don't like "over-paying" for a single pet, even when someone is doing it for me. I just am not comfortable with the thought of someone paying me in one "rare" pet that is super old, and they get fifteen pets of a variety of rarites. Apparently I'm getting the better deal. :/
I just want to be able to give people what I have extra of, for what they're willing to part with. If you really don't want to part with it, then lock it. If you do, make it accessible.
I don't wish to list the number of trades that other people have cancelled, just because I traded unfairly with them. I don't know your pet heart, and sometimes people refuse to edit suggestions. I feel like suggestions help people not to "break" others rules, but not many people are actually willing to take the time to edit trades. It's why I don't always send a message when trading others. How do I know you'll accept? Even if I think I have followed the rules, some people will cancel or let the trade rot. I'd prefer if everyone who let trades rot on purpose, (not based on the time they have to spend on the website, just because they said in their rules that they would.) should just cancel the trade.

Paraphrasing wrote:You sent me a suggestion! May Cthulhu curse you! :x

On a alternate, but still related note, I don't think hoarding pets helps the economy either. If you have extra, and the person is offering something on your wish-list, then why not accept? Personally, I don't think anyone should hoard any pet, regardless of what they pay for it. It might help the "economy" if more pets were freely traded, instead of keeping massive amounts to themselves. Does a user really need over a thousand of the same pet? Over a hundred? Over thirty?
It doesn't normally affect the trades that I send out, as I can normally find people who trade very easily. But it bothers me, unfortunately. :oops: :?
Image]
Poserpanda

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Bilaz » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:03 pm

PoserPanda wrote:On a alternate, but still related note, I don't think hoarding pets helps the economy either. If you have extra, and the person is offering something on your wish-list, then why not accept? Personally, I don't think anyone should hoard any pet, regardless of what they pay for it. It might help the "economy" if more pets were freely traded, instead of keeping massive amounts to themselves. Does a user really need over a thousand of the same pet? Over a hundred? Over thirty?
It doesn't normally affect the trades that I send out, as I can normally find people who trade very easily. But it bothers me, unfortunately. :oops: :?

I have to say I disagree honestly? And not just because I'm a hoarder. Think about it this way, if everyone played the game the same way (collecting) then everyone would be stuck with the very same duplicates and nobody to trade them with. Because that is the definition of very common pets. If a few people hoard very commons pets, and trade off what would have been "their collection" for them, that makes the very common pets a trading commodity again.

You can also reword this: "Does a user really need over a thousand of the same pet? Over a hundred? Over thirty?" and say instead: "Does a user really need every single design on the site? Hundreds and thousands of pets which aren't even favourites of theirs?"

Nobody really needs any pixel pets if you think about it! :D This is a game about accumulating stuff! Trading for stuff and locking it away is what we do on this site!

Furthermore: as someone who doesn't collect pets but instead hoards, I adopt every single one of my pets straight into my trading group. So even if I get only one of the rare outcome it's up for grabs (I have my only yellow macaw in my trade group right now). Isn't that "freely trading", "more pets' as well? I don't see many collectors putting all their non duplicates, except for their favourites, up for trade.

If someone really wanted my green petal cat, which I doubt since they're very common and everywhere, I'd probably track another one down just for them, I'd appreciate their appreciation of my favourite pet of the site :lol:

People shouldn't leave their hoard groups unlocked though, I can understand that *that* is very annoying, but you can say the same things about collectors. A lot of people leave all their species groups open and just tell people to look for duplicates

But yeah to summarise: this game is about trading and locking stuff up. I support every way of doing this, because that is how we all have fun on this site. The fact that not everyone is working on the same goals means that there are more pets available for all of us and good deals to be made!
╔═════════{♥}═════════╗
And so all things, time will mend
So this song will end...

╚═════════{♥}═════════╝
x➤ My OC Erik, I love to write stories
x➤ Sasha - ISFJ - vegan - adult
x➤ Proud tea drinker and cat lover
x➤ Feel free to send me a message! ©

Image x Image x Image
Bilaz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Poultry Milkshake » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:38 am

I've noticed the experiement a lot of people have been doing of randomly looking in user profiles for pets of specific rarity/date. Keep in mind that older users are probably more likely to go "incognito" and not appear in the online users display in the forum menu. Newer users might not know the hide function exists, and they would also be more likely to have only newer pets. To have an accurate experiment, maybe try to select some offline users too and see how it turns out. Just something to consider, I guess!
Pet's name: In Memory of Mushroom :3
Poultry Milkshake

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby musicgurl333 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:11 am

Poultry Milkshake wrote:I've noticed the experiement a lot of people have been doing of randomly looking in user profiles for pets of specific rarity/date. Keep in mind that older users are probably more likely to go "incognito" and not appear in the online users display in the forum menu. Newer users might not know the hide function exists, and they would also be more likely to have only newer pets. To have an accurate experiment, maybe try to select some offline users too and see how it turns out. Just something to consider, I guess!

I personally have just been picking random people posting in the forums. It’s easy, and it ensures they’re active users. But certainly anyone is encouraged to run their own variations on the experiment. :)

By the way, for anyone thinking, “I can’t be bothered doing that,” I suggest combining it with your regular trading. Because it’s basically just searching for trades, except with a couple of extra pets that you’re looking for. You could even do it with pets already on your WL. Doing this experiment has actually led to a couple of successful trades for pets that I’ve been looking for for ages!
musicgurl333

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Poserpanda » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:50 pm

Bilaz-Paraphrasing wrote:You can also reword this: "Does a user really need over a thousand of the same pet? Over a hundred? Over thirty?" and say instead: "Does a user really need every single design on the site? Hundreds and thousands of pets which aren't even favourites of theirs?"
Nobody really needs any pixel pets if you think about it! :D This is a game about accumulating stuff! Trading for stuff and locking it away is what we do on this site!

I think it is quite different to get one of every single kind of pet, than to keep getting the same one into the thousands. That's the part I find excessive. I'm not gonna stop anyone from picking what pictures they want to keep, I just don't like the idea of it. Most of the time it doesn't affect my trades. :)

I'm going to try the experiment that ya'll have come up with. It should be interesting. ;)
Image]
Poserpanda

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Bilaz » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:50 pm

PoserPanda wrote:
Bilaz-Paraphrasing wrote:You can also reword this: "Does a user really need over a thousand of the same pet? Over a hundred? Over thirty?" and say instead: "Does a user really need every single design on the site? Hundreds and thousands of pets which aren't even favourites of theirs?"

I think it is quite different to get one of every single kind of pet, than to keep getting the same one into the thousands. That's the part I find excessive. I'm not gonna stop anyone from picking what pictures they want to keep, I just don't like the idea of it. Most of the time it doesn't affect my trades. :)

I'm going to try the experiment that ya'll have come up with. It should be interesting. ;)

But why? If I may ask? I'm not looking to start an argument and I respect your opinion. And I'm really really pleased that you're being so kind about it and respect everyone's choice of how to play despite how it makes you feel, so thank you very much! This is why I'm interested in hearing more of it actually! But you didn't really respond to my other points :(
Like if nobody hoarded very common pets that they wouldn't have any trading value? I still believe trades such as these: trades/viewtrade.php?id=67813156&userid=815696&signature=zfZQg2BnK8T7roDIzWPSDg
are helpful to the economy? As well as the fact that hoarders might put non duplicates and rares and such up for trade like I do :/
I'm really just curious what you think :D
╔═════════{♥}═════════╗
So this song will end...

╚═════════{♥}═════════╝

Image x Image x Image
Bilaz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lacuna » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:13 pm

Hoarding absolutely helps the economy. I don't want a complete collection. I want thousands upon thousands of the same pets. And despite how many I own, people were still able to find thousands more easily for trade when I held a quantity auction a few months ago. No one goes looking for these pets and is unable to find them, despite the ridiculous number I have on my account. Besides that, because I don't collect everything, more monthly pets I don't end up keeping are put in circulation because I'm not required to collect the same way as everyone else.

I bring them up also because the way I trade for them matches the idea that rarities don't matter "that much." You can see this in my trade thread where I lump years together and don't make all year groups double the next one. I definitely think there are likely to be fewer older pets in circulation due to them finding permanent homes, and therefore I do value them more, but overall it's not exponential. I'm always happy to make swaps that are pets of similar-ish date and same rarity, as long as nothing is a particularly sought after outcome.

TLDR: Totally support the message of this thread!
Lacuna
Roleplay Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Bilaz » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:15 pm

Lacuna wrote:
    Hoarding absolutely helps the economy. I don't want a complete collection. I want thousands upon thousands of the same pets. And despite how many I own, people were still able to find thousands more easily for trade when I held a quantity auction a few months ago. No one goes looking for these pets and is unable to find them, despite the ridiculous number I have on my account. Besides that, because I don't collect everything, more monthly pets I don't end up keeping are put in circulation because I'm not required to collect the same way as everyone else.

I bring them up also because the way I trade for them matches the idea that rarities don't matter "that much." You can see this in my trade thread where I lump years together and don't make all year groups double the next one. I definitely think there are likely to be fewer older pets in circulation due to them finding permanent homes, and therefore I do value them more, but overall it's not exponential. I'm always happy to make swaps that are pets of similar-ish date and same rarity, as long as nothing is a particularly sought after outcome.

Thank you very much for your support!!!!
I actually really appreciate your answer. I've had the same experience with my very common cat hoard. I found pretty much most of them in groups called 'duplicates', 'for trade', or even 'unwanted'. And so, I give them older wishlist pets I only have one of because I don't like them that much. Meanwhile they want one of each pet, so the trade is welcome, and both of us benefit from the fact that there are a load of different playstyles!
╔═════════{♥}═════════╗
So this song will end...

╚═════════{♥}═════════╝

Image x Image x Image
Bilaz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .lemon » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:22 am

Bilaz wrote:
Lacuna wrote:

Thank you very much for your support!!!!
I actually really appreciate your answer. I've had the same experience with my very common cat hoard. I found pretty much most of them in groups called 'duplicates', 'for trade', or even 'unwanted'. And so, I give them older wishlist pets I only have one of because I don't like them that much. Meanwhile they want one of each pet, so the trade is welcome, and both of us benefit from the fact that there are a load of different playstyles!

I 100% agree with everything said about how hoarding helps the economy here on CS. I have a zebra hoard that is well into the thousands, and I still I find that nearly everyone I'm trading has a couple. If these people are trying for a complete collection, and the zebra I am trying to trade for is a duplicate, it really helps us both out if I can offer them a pet they don't yet have in exchange for a pet I'm looking for.

I think that's what makes the game fun as well! Since some people collect, some people hoard, and some players do something completely different, it gives the game more of an edge I guess? Since every single player isn't after every single pet, in a way, hoarding definitely helps the players that choose to collect every pet!
she/her (:
Trade Me Zebras! I buy any two wishlist zebras for 1 C$ (:
Also always actively seeking the Malk Bumblebee Spider!

.lemon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me