Guide to CS Rarities *update in progress*

Discussion about the Pets, Items, Dress-ups, Events, Site, Forum or other CS features!

Re: Guide to CS Rarities

Postby Seasonal » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:54 am

Maybe a unique perspective but I think this gives us more information about pets that sit on the VR-OMGSR line. Perhaps the pets that went OMGSR when the bee/RBM/zebra did are also sitting on that very thin line, but they weren't pushed over just because of random chance. Even though they have different rarity labels now, we know that they are still very close to OMGSR.

I think the coming months will give us more insight into whether or not this is true; if the bee was just bordering VR and happened to be pushed over the edge by the re-release, we should see it jump back to OMGSR very soon. ^^ I don't think the placements are inaccurate, I think RNG simply caused more of these pets to be adopted. How long they stay VR will be very telling.

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗
about - characters - trades
need to contact CS staff?
submit a help ticket here!
╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝
Seasonal
Admin Assistant

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aurora Storm » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:36 pm

Seasonal wrote:Maybe a unique perspective but I think this gives us more information about pets that sit on the VR-OMGSR line. Perhaps the pets that went OMGSR when the bee/RBM/zebra did are also sitting on that very thin line, but they weren't pushed over just because of random chance. Even though they have different rarity labels now, we know that they are still very close to OMGSR.

I think the coming months will give us more insight into whether or not this is true; if the bee was just bordering VR and happened to be pushed over the edge by the re-release, we should see it jump back to OMGSR very soon. ^^ I don't think the placements are inaccurate, I think RNG simply caused more of these pets to be adopted. How long they stay VR will be very telling.

Ideally it'd be super helpful for all the URs to start off VR so we have a better idea of how rare they are by comparison. Up until 2013 we had rarity fluctuations for the URs, I don't know whether this stopped because the rarity calculations changed or maybe because the same amount of URs are being released to a larger user-base and are therefore rarer to begin with now? It's definitely interesting to see how re-releases affect rarities since I always thought the algorithm was designed to release pets equally but I guess a RNG can't actually guarantee that every time.

My best guess is you're right and the three pets that dropped were all just on the cusp of VR/OMGSR and they'll go up soon. But they obviously weren't as close to VR as the Pink Sorbet, Natural Blue Rat, and Pirate Rat were last year even though those three turned OMGSR after the Bee, Zebra, and RBM were already OMGSR. Argh it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me lol but very interesting to track these changes nevertheless.
╔═ · ✧ · ════════════════════╗
guide to cs rarities | trades | need help?
╚════════════════════ · ✧ · ═╝
Aurora Storm
General Helper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Asvoria » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:43 am

I personally think that the RNG part is exactly the factor that we can't really deal with. Basically every year on the 18th, a rarity roulette starts off and tumbles pets through the ranking, completely destroying every positioning that we have thought to be accurate. Even now, some pets that we deem at the bottom of the VR list, could have been released so sparsley over the years, that they are bordering at OMGSR and will receive that final push next year, when RNG resists to distribute more of that pet.
On the other hand, pets that fluctuate often or have had some weird, unrelateable jump in rarity, could have received a boost and are now so frequently among players, that they will never hit that OMGSR again.
Seasonal's thought of just waiting and seeing if bee & friends regain their old rarity tag quickly is probably the best indicater to show how much they moved down the ranking. If nothing happens with their rarity until next year... well there's probably no way to accurately guess their placing in that case :>
Asvoria

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aurora Storm » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:37 pm

Asvoria wrote:I personally think that the RNG part is exactly the factor that we can't really deal with. Basically every year on the 18th, a rarity roulette starts off and tumbles pets through the ranking, completely destroying every positioning that we have thought to be accurate. Even now, some pets that we deem at the bottom of the VR list, could have been released so sparsley over the years, that they are bordering at OMGSR and will receive that final push next year, when RNG resists to distribute more of that pet.
On the other hand, pets that fluctuate often or have had some weird, unrelateable jump in rarity, could have received a boost and are now so frequently among players, that they will never hit that OMGSR again.
Seasonal's thought of just waiting and seeing if bee & friends regain their old rarity tag quickly is probably the best indicater to show how much they moved down the ranking. If nothing happens with their rarity until next year... well there's probably no way to accurately guess their placing in that case :>

Yeah, I agree with this. I think the UR Cookie/Aussie is a good example, it was OMGSR years ago and hasn't ever gone up again, despite other pets that were more "common" at the time surpassing it by turning OMGSR.
╔═ · ✧ · ════════════════════╗
guide to cs rarities | trades | need help?
╚════════════════════ · ✧ · ═╝
Aurora Storm
General Helper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Loelya » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:41 am

friendly bump! 💜
ImageImage
~ and here you are, continuing on,
despite how hard it's been ~

adult || she/shey/they
Loelya

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Asvoria » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:18 am

bump <3
Asvoria

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Loelya » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:11 pm

friendly bump! 💜
ImageImage
~ and here you are, continuing on,
despite how hard it's been ~

adult || she/shey/they
Loelya

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dreamsofcrows » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:45 am

So I've been on Chicken Smoothie since 2014, and while I'm no 2009 joiner to the site I still consider 7 years under my belt no small feat.

That being said...

What the heck is a non?!

I've seen people pricing (ex) list pets as '1.5 nons', '.75 nons' etcetera, but what is a "non"? A non mainlist? A non version of a specific dog (i.e. Non sunjewel, non coon tail, etc)? In the years I've been on and trading on this website the definition of a 'non' has never been clear to me.

ImageLOCK YOUR NFT/NEFT PETS IF YOU DON'T WANT OFFERS. SIMPLE AS THATImage
Dreamsofcrows

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Fleabag. » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:48 am

Bumping to mark!

aries ♈︎ | she/her | flea
    ImageImage
    ImageImageImageImage

The world is your exercise-book, the pages on which you do your sums.
    It is not reality, although you can express reality there if you wish.
    You are also free to write nonsense, or lies, or to tear the pages.

trade | | 𖤓 | 🇵🇸
Fleabag.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lennie » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:30 am

Dreamsofcrows wrote:So I've been on Chicken Smoothie since 2014, and while I'm no 2009 joiner to the site I still consider 7 years under my belt no small feat.

That being said...

What the heck is a non?!

I've seen people pricing (ex) list pets as '1.5 nons', '.75 nons' etcetera, but what is a "non"? A non mainlist? A non version of a specific dog (i.e. Non sunjewel, non coon tail, etc)? In the years I've been on and trading on this website the definition of a 'non' has never been clear to me.

I hope it's alright that I'm offering an answer ^^;
    In the most literal sense of the term "non", you're right with your idea of it being associated with specific dogs, though as it applies to general trading values the term goes a little further in meaning:
    A majority of the trading terms commonly used on the site now are from the discontinued rarity list.
    A "non" serves as a baseline value in trading (along with the terms sorb/sorbet & MA/mid-advent)
    ✧ The term non comes from four particular dogs from July 2008 - the non-swirl, the non-jewel, the non-coon, and the non-tag
    ✧ The term sorbet/sorb comes from this litter from July 2008 [the four outcomes are pink, yellow, green, and blue]
    ✧ The term mid-advent comes directly from the discontinued rarity list. While the list is no longer considered a primary pet value resource (as it is outdated and there were contentions about the accuracy of pet placement in the list), the term is still utilized for the category of pets once included in/around the tier 7 category* of the list in terms of general value
    [It is worth clarifying here that MA value pets are not limited to just the pets in this tier category - this is just to highlight where the name originates from / *If you have seen people refer to a pet as a t# advent, the acronym comes from this tier system]

A general guide commonly seen in pet worth threads now breaks the terms down as:
    1 non = 2 sorbs = 10-12 mid-advents (MAs) = 100-150 '09 rares
    1 sorb = 0.5 nons = 5-6 MAs
    1 MA = 7-8 '09 rares

Loelya breaks down the terms non and sorb in the Demand Data Cloud thread with some of the history behind the pet values which I would recommend reading if you want some more information ^^
    demand data cloud - "value of a 'non'/value of a 'sorb'"

Since you mentioned it, the term "main list" is also from the discontinued rarity list, as is the term "september list" which you may see being used as well~

Also this is a small note but I figured I should mention it since I happened across it earlier today - the image link for the White Shima Wolf on page 2 leads to a "404 Not Found" error ^^
|x|x|x┌─────────────┐
|x|x|x|x|they / he | trades
|x|x|x||||||||||||||cs help
|x|x|x└─────────────┘
|x|x|||"the hunt is everything,
|xand the pack is always ready
"
Lennie
General Helper

My pets
My items
My wishlist