For all us oldies..

Discussion about the Pets, Items, Dress-ups, Events, Site, Forum or other CS features!

Re: For all us oldies..

Postby nickjr » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:29 pm

PrettyPieK wrote:
Has anyone else noticed the amount of people quitting from both old and new members because they complained about greed on here? I just came back from around a two-year hiatus, and it seems the demand of some pets have went up immensely. What caused this change? I remember when people would quit because they didn't have time, but I've talked to many users that have quit recently and it's all because people are apparently greedy?

I've noticed this as well and it makes me really sad. I feel like we're in a positive feedback loop in a negative way: greed has been getting worse, demand has been getting more extreme, patience has been fraying more and more quickly... Why? In 2011 it was only a really bad annoyance. In 2013 it was worrying. In 2015 it was really bad. Now it just sounds extreme and I don't know what's going on. (I mean, I do--it's a positive feedback loop--and I even know why--because of human nature and the demographics of this site roughly lining up with the target audience--but...)
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FriedApplePie » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:02 pm

'Possum wrote:Eh...the climate has definitely changed around here.
I haven't noticed people quitting because of it...but I don't honestly pay that much attention to the trading boards anymore. Though trading is quite a challenge this past few years.

I've been trading since I got back almost two weeks ago so I've been stalking the trading boards lol. The demand is crazy and it is extremely difficult to trade for me since I've missed so much, I just hope I can catch up again.

nickjr wrote:I've noticed this as well and it makes me really sad. I feel like we're in a positive feedback loop in a negative way: greed has been getting worse, demand has been getting more extreme, patience has been fraying more and more quickly... Why? In 2011 it was only a really bad annoyance. In 2013 it was worrying. In 2015 it was really bad. Now it just sounds extreme and I don't know what's going on. (I mean, I do--it's a positive feedback loop--and I even know why--because of human nature and the demographics of this site roughly lining up with the target audience--but...)

That actually makes sense, I just wish there was a way to reverse it. I can only imagine how it will be in the near future. I hardly can get a decent trade now, but it doesn't help that I don't have much extra to offer for newer pets either without it being underpay on my side.

I'm just glad I got a Raven Dog, not to mention other store pets, from when it originally came out. If I had never got it then I may have never been able to get near one now. I would have never thought it would go for nons. Wish I had bought two back then and saved them both. I've been trying to get recent store pets now and the demand is depleting all my rares I had in stock. I may have to buy C$ next month just so I can buy store pets for now on.

████
████
𝗼𝘂 𝘄𝗮𝗻𝘁 𝗮 𝗽𝗶𝗲𝗰𝗲xx

.xxImage
...▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
┌───────┐

Returning Member
October 12th
Loving Apple Pie

└───────┘
x
- of
me?
FriedApplePie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gren » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:41 pm

**waves hello to everyone**

I can also agree about it being more difficult and such with trades now... I was on a long hiatus for a couple of years or so, and just recently been active. It’s crazy to see how all the demands have changed drastically. I’m so used to the moon swirl being the most sought after, and now it’s the UR tiger dog and sunback... and how much people are paying for the old store pets. Thank goodness I have my favorite ones that have been stored away. lol
Gren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shinryu » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:20 pm

I would love some sort of contest again, too!
    Preferable not another cake contest, because I struggle even with store bought baking mixes we already had one and something different would be refreshing. But it would be exciting~

OceanBlast wrote:
Some people are so rude nowadays and it's really hurtful. Back then everyone was nice and quite often if i sent a fair trade people would send it back giving me the pet/s for free. I was gifted so much!! It was really normal for people to gift old items, rares etc. it was such a nice atmosphere.

I'll have to say, I do remember a lot of drama from those days. The TTAY and Trade Rant threads were in full action, and I admit I read and for a while used both, meaning I witnessed a good share of rudeness and arguments. So in that aspect, I don't really feel like CS has gotten any better or worse. It's just something hard to avoid with a community as big as this one, especially with the broad age range represented.

People still gift a lot! I still see it happen often that people give each other missed outcomes for free, help others with obtaining dream pets, or make it a goal to gift certain amounts of people.
    I see people have their wishlists filled with their friends' WL pets, and the good trade thread is very active.
    Gifting games like Lights On Lights Off, Holibombs, and Secret Santa are super popular.
    There's still a ton of generous people around, I think this is something that still holds as true for the community as it did back then <3

nickjr wrote:
PrettyPieK wrote:
Has anyone else noticed the amount of people quitting from both old and new members because they complained about greed on here? I just came back from around a two-year hiatus, and it seems the demand of some pets have went up immensely. What caused this change? I remember when people would quit because they didn't have time, but I've talked to many users that have quit recently and it's all because people are apparently greedy?

I've noticed this as well and it makes me really sad. I feel like we're in a positive feedback loop in a negative way: greed has been getting worse, demand has been getting more extreme, patience has been fraying more and more quickly... Why? In 2011 it was only a really bad annoyance. In 2013 it was worrying. In 2015 it was really bad. Now it just sounds extreme and I don't know what's going on. (I mean, I do--it's a positive feedback loop--and I even know why--because of human nature and the demographics of this site roughly lining up with the target audience--but...)

Seeing the state of the list economy makes me more glad than ever that I long achieved my dreamies and only ever deal in advent lists any more .-.
    People have started applying demand backwards, it seems? Demand used to be a concern about trading a pet off, like "ah, nobody is offering on my cake dog, I might settle for underpay". And then they'd be like "Hey, I'm trading my cake dog for several tiers lower, any takers?".
    But now I see people apply it to pets they are actively offering on, and outright expecting that they should get it for underpay from traders who never said they are willing to give it away below value.

...On the topic of "high demand pets", though:
    Honestly, I've found myself avoiding to actually call it "demand" any more in many of those extreme cases.
    There's a proper word for what's going on. It's price gouging.
    It's true that if enough people regularly overpay for a pet, its value will rise naturally. But people don't want to pay 'nons for ravens'. There's a huge difference between "Wow, I really like this pet and I want to make extra sure this person accepts my trade, so I'll toss in overpay" and "I hope I am overpaying enough to make this person consider my trade".
    Using the highest offers one has seen a pet go for as a new average for what to expect is entirely unreasonable.

[ formerly ZEL ] [ they/he ] [ Germany ]      And what of you, my mirror?      [PCE] [FR]
                           currently mostly inactive
Shinryu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby puu » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 pm

Eh it doesn't bother me at all. I can't really call myself a CS 'oldie' but I think most people who spent 7+ years on this site at this point kind of gave up on rare trading? I only come here to host giveaways and buy store pets, but that's about it. Most older members already achieved their dreams on this site and don't leave because well... you already devoted like 7+ years of your life to this site, why stop?

I do feel like people have become less friendly in the community, but it would've eventually happened. I mean as the site gets older more people are going to want to collect ALL the pets. It's only going to get more intense with time. Especially with all the newer members.
ew
puu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:51 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot about the rant threads. Those got really nasty OTL

You made me go and google "price gouging" LOL Dang. I think I'll just casually start using that term now and see if anyone picks it up. (Probably won't happen since I don't participate in trade discussions much anymore)
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DisabledLlama » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:54 am

That whole price gouging thing is so true. I remember like, 2 years ago is when the crazy asking price for a BA or BMD skyrocketed (more than likely due to VR hoarding).
Then I disappeared for a bit due to work taking all my time, have come back while I'm on leave, and the prices are still stupid crazy.

I saw an auction for BMD that had someone offering a Green Toxic... and it's not even considered for an auto-win. wth? If I wasn't super attached to mine, I might consider auctioning some of them.

Image Image
DisabledLlama

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby houndoom » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:04 am

DisabledLlama wrote:That whole price gouging thing is so true. I remember like, 2 years ago is when the crazy asking price for a BA or BMD skyrocketed (more than likely due to VR hoarding).
Then I disappeared for a bit due to work taking all my time, have come back while I'm on leave, and the prices are still stupid crazy.

I saw an auction for BMD that had someone offering a Green Toxic... and it's not even considered for an auto-win. wth? If I wasn't super attached to mine, I might consider auctioning some of them.

I KNOW I ve been gone for 2 years and its all gone down the drain. To be fair the Black Advent has always had stupid high demand for some reason, but i definitely dont remember the BMDS going for so much back in the day.

Also the Rant threads arent a thing anymore? Oh man....those were the days. It is so weird to recall chickensmoothie drama.. :lol:

Xxxx
lance | they/them
───────────────────────────
it's all we need to get better!
fr | bestie | sig art credit
houndoom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DisabledLlama » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:11 am

lancelotl wrote:
DisabledLlama wrote:That whole price gouging thing is so true. I remember like, 2 years ago is when the crazy asking price for a BA or BMD skyrocketed (more than likely due to VR hoarding).

I KNOW I ve been gone for 2 years and its all gone down the drain. To be fair the Black Advent has always had stupid high demand for some reason, but i definitely dont remember the BMDS going for so much back in the day.

Also the Rant threads arent a thing anymore? Oh man....those were the days. It is so weird to recall chickensmoothie drama.. :lol:

Oh god the drama... I'm not sure if drama still happens like it used to. Anyone remember the FTT xat chat? sigh those were the days. I used to know rarities and fair trade stuff pretty well back then...

Image Image
DisabledLlama

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby houndoom » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:27 am

i thought i hallucinated the FTT Xat im incredibly glad someone else remembers that...that...was actually a lot of fun 😂 #xatsquad4lyfe
i cannot believe there was one point in my life when i struggled to learn the rarities and pets and know the inner workings of the site so well because i wanted to be popular...on an adoptable pixel pet website...sigh.
oh also speaking of demand i remember the August Lion PPS....GOD i saw one of them going for list pets back in the day, i used to think that was crazy! aaaand then again today i took a casual stroll through the auction threads and saw an UR Cinnabun being auto'd by..a raven dog....*chants* price gougiiiing

Xxxx
lance | they/them
it's all we need to get better!
fr | bestie | sig art credit
houndoom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes