Guide: Extended release pets

Discussion about the Pets, Items, Dress-ups, Events, Site, Forum or other CS features!

Re: Guide: Pets with contradicting release and adoption date

Postby KupferudelWolf » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:46 am

This explains a lot XD and I certainly remember:
On June 29/30, 2012, there was an enormous storm in Northern Virginia that knocked out CS's server; CS had to be restored from a day-old backup...

But I have a question. I checked to see if it was answered in this thread, but I found nothing. Does this affect the value of the pet at all?

For example, let's take the 2nd Gen Green Batdog. Is that worth an '08 Rare, an early '09 Rare, or neither since it released much longer than an '08 or early '09 Rare? I've always traded for the Batdog with an '09 or '08 Rare but traded it away for an '08 Rare. I've had people try to convince me that it's worth an '09 Rare, though....
I would trade all my pets for their equivalent value in Shima Longtails in a heartbeat.

You got to gather up what you need.
You got to choose a direction.
And when the moment is right for you,
you got to go.
                  — Above & Beyond ft. Zoe Johnston, "You Got To Go"
See the lights:
spinning fire!
A thousand stars...
I try to fight
my desire:
your Aurora.
Day One, "Aurora" (VIP)
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Flight Rising :: Eldemore

1v1 me scrub [1x1 RP info]

My CharaHub [Characters]

I'm always looking for more Shima Long-Tailed dogs! <3
KupferudelWolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:46 pm

CrimsonWolfTail wrote:This explains a lot XD and I certainly remember:
On June 29/30, 2012, there was an enormous storm in Northern Virginia that knocked out CS's server; CS had to be restored from a day-old backup...

But I have a question. I checked to see if it was answered in this thread, but I found nothing. Does this affect the value of the pet at all?

For example, let's take the 2nd Gen Green Batdog. Is that worth an '08 Rare, an early '09 Rare, or neither since it released much longer than an '08 or early '09 Rare? I've always traded for the Batdog with an '09 or '08 Rare but traded it away for an '08 Rare. I've had people try to convince me that it's worth an '09 Rare, though....

Hi, sorry for the late response!

The values of these pets can be tricky to determine based on just their rarity and availability dates; you're probably better off asking for their values in this thread and getting advice from some of CS's more experienced traders.

As a general rule of thumb, though, these pets are usually worth less than whatever their adoption/release dates suggest. "Usually" is the key word; some pets are in higher demand than others and may also be rarer (like the Green Batdog), so their value is closer to what their adoption/release date may suggest, but you still shouldn't say that, for example, the rare Gray 2nd gen PPS is worth a January 2009 rare just because it was released in January 2009.

Longer availability = more pets were adopted as time went by, so they're usually not as rare as pets released at around the same time. (The rarity tags reflect this a bit; for example, some of the regular monthly November 2008 pets [card dogs, green/pink pastel dogs, blue/orange royal dogs] are already "very rare", yet two of the Vampire x Mismatch dogs are still uncommon.)

I'm actually not sure exactly what you're asking; if you're asking if the longer availability affects the value of the pets compared to other regular monthly pets from around the same time, then yes, it does affect the pets' values significantly if the pets were available for more than a couple of months (it's mainly just the pets in this post whose values are affected; the pets in the other posts weren't available for long enough to significantly change their values from a regular "monthly" pet).

If you're asking if the adoption dates of the pets affects the individual pets' values, then no; a Green Batdog adopted in November 2008 is technically worth the same as a Green Batdog adopted in August 2009, since the system recognizes them as the same pet. (Of course, there are people who prefer older adoption dates and stuff, but that's a different story xD)

I hope I answered your question ^_^
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby KupferudelWolf » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:50 am

nickjr wrote:
CrimsonWolfTail wrote:This explains a lot XD and I certainly remember:

Hi, sorry for the late response!

The values of these pets can be tricky to determine based on just their rarity and availability dates; you're probably better off asking for their values in this thread and getting advice from some of CS's more experienced traders.

As a general rule of thumb, though, these pets are usually worth less than whatever their adoption/release dates suggest. "Usually" is the key word; some pets are in higher demand than others and may also be rarer (like the Green Batdog), so their value is closer to what their adoption/release date may suggest, but you still shouldn't say that, for example, the rare Gray 2nd gen PPS is worth a January 2009 rare just because it was released in January 2009.

Longer availability = more pets were adopted as time went by, so they're usually not as rare as pets released at around the same time. (The rarity tags reflect this a bit; for example, some of the regular monthly November 2008 pets [card dogs, green/pink pastel dogs, blue/orange royal dogs] are already "very rare", yet two of the Vampire x Mismatch dogs are still uncommon.)

I'm actually not sure exactly what you're asking; if you're asking if the longer availability affects the value of the pets compared to other regular monthly pets from around the same time, then yes, it does affect the pets' values significantly if the pets were available for more than a couple of months (it's mainly just the pets in this post whose values are affected; the pets in the other posts weren't available for long enough to significantly change their values from a regular "monthly" pet).

If you're asking if the adoption dates of the pets affects the individual pets' values, then no; a Green Batdog adopted in November 2008 is technically worth the same as a Green Batdog adopted in August 2009, since the system recognizes them as the same pet. (Of course, there are people who prefer older adoption dates and stuff, but that's a different story xD)

I hope I answered your question ^_^

Thank you for your response! I had more to that post, but it appears that a moderator removed it despite the fact that it violated no rules...

Anyway, I was talking about the longer availability affecting the rarity, sorry for the confusion. Thank you so much for your answer!
I would trade all my pets for their equivalent value in Shima Longtails in a heartbeat.

You got to gather up what you need.
You got to choose a direction.
And when the moment is right for you,
you got to go.
                  — Above & Beyond ft. Zoe Johnston, "You Got To Go"
See the lights:
spinning fire!
A thousand stars...
I try to fight
my desire:
your Aurora.
Day One, "Aurora" (VIP)
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Flight Rising :: Eldemore

1v1 me scrub [1x1 RP info]

My CharaHub [Characters]

I'm always looking for more Shima Long-Tailed dogs! <3
KupferudelWolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:33 am

CrimsonWolfTail wrote:[snipsnipsnip]

Thank you for your response! I had more to that post, but it appears that a moderator removed it despite the fact that it violated no rules...

Anyway, I was talking about the longer availability affecting the rarity, sorry for the confusion. Thank you so much for your answer!

You're welcome~ Glad I answered your question C:

Maybe you accidentally deleted the additional stuff you had in your post? Sometimes, right before I post, I hit a few keys by mistake (such as Shift + Up, then the slash key), and part of my post gets deleted right before I post it, and I don't notice until later xD (and since I have a form-saving tool, I can look back and see that the last saved version of my post was incomplete, while the version right before it is complete, lol)
CS staff members are reasonable and don't delete stuff for the fun of it; they only delete things that break rules (there's a compilation of CS's rules here) ^_^ In addition, if they remove something from a post, there's usually a note at the bottom of the post explaining why (like "Last edited by username; reason: Do not post your password" or something [that's just an example]). :3
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keith-Kogane » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:39 pm

Alright, I have a question.

I have this pet: Image

The date says 2009-03-07, but it appears in my group with pets from 2011-04.

Why?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xx"Never limit yourself because
xxof others’ limited imagination;
xxnever limit others because of
xxyour own limited imagination."
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxAlways open for trades
xxxxxxxxLibramasculine
xxxHe/him, maybe they/them
xxxxxx♡♡ Space, nature ♡♡
xxxxxxDMs always open~xxx
Keith-Kogane

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:42 pm

L.e.o.n.a.r.d.o.TMNT wrote:Alright, I have a question.

I have this pet: Image

The date says 2009-03-07, but it appears in my group with pets from 2011-04.

Why?

I believe that's a different scenario than what this topic talks about, but I see why you asked ^_^

I'm pretty sure your pet is a recreated pet. It is very rare for Nick to recreate pets (this usually happens if there's a hacker that deletes a valuable pet or something), but when he does recreate pets, they have a new ID number that makes it seem like they were adopted right at that newest moment. However, the pet's other information (what the pet is and when it was originally adopted and etc) is identical to the original pet's information.

As for why your pet shows up in a strange place: it has to do with that new ID number that I mentioned. Pets are arranged in your pet groups by ID, not adoption date. (It just seems like they're sorted by adoption date because that usually seems to be the case.)

I hope I answered your question!
Last edited by nickjr on Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Centri » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:48 pm

The sorbets were available in both July and August 2008, I have one from July:
And some from August:
Centri

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:00 am

Centri wrote:
The sorbets were available in both July and August 2008, I have one from July:
And some from August:

I can't believe I forgot about the sorbets even though I have one dated August, too xD Thanks for pointing that out! Added ^_^

nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Efrafa » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:08 am

THANK YOU, NICKJR, FOR WRITING THIS GUIDE.
---------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------

You've cleanly resolved insider information, rumor, and conjecture on,
which pets are not what they appear.
You've answered the detailed questions of the curious,
of those who want to thoroughly learn about each piece of their collection.
You've provided a critical modifier to knowing raritites.

On a personal note, you've completed an investigation that I began and saved me so much time and effort! (I bookmarked your topic of course.) For people like me--who treasure hunt for specialized guides to learn more about this epic trading and collecting game--you've added an exciting new scroll for discovery. :D
Efrafa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:05 am

Aw, thanks. You making me blush >/////< Glad I could help! I remember quite a bit about CS's early days, so I figured that this kind of information would be better sitting in a thread than stuck in my head xD

nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me