A Guide to Hoarding - All you need to know about hoards!

Discussion about the Pets, Items, Dress-ups, Events, Site, Forum or other CS features!

Re: A Guide to Hoarding - All you need to know about hoards!

Postby DisabledLlama » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:12 am

FlitterRayne wrote:Something else you might point out is the strategic point hoarding can have. ;)

I've noticed someone hoarding a specific type of pet, and I've always wondered at it. I got to thinking about what advantage it -could- have for them.

If you're a hardcore trader, you -could- hoard the uncommon outcome, or a series of pets you think will be sought after in the long term, thinking it could go up in rating in the future.

Meaning: I'm going to hoard the (example, nonexitstant) Sparkleberry Swirl dog. It's the uncommon outcome. In 2 months, possibly more, that uncommon could turn to rare. Now I'll have 20-50-More rare pets to trade.

Now, not every uncommon would turn into rares. Or, even rares that someone would want all the time. But...if you plan well, I can see how finding a pet, or series of pets, that people are raving about, that's aesthetically pleasing and well liked, could very well be sought after in the future by people who are newer to CS. Even newbies can get rare outcomes you know, so they might just be willing to trade them. ;) ((Meaning, never discount the newbies!))

Just my two cents. I'd, personally, never hoard. I don't see the point in it, besides strategic value, but I personally prefer to have only 1 pet, and maybe some in trades. But I wouldn't go crazy for it, nor drive my brain crazy trying to figure out which is tomorrow's winner. :lol:

For me, hoarding doesn't mean 'Oh this will totally be rare after a few months! I must have 50 of them for trading fodder!'.
I think that if your going to hoard, do it because you want to keep them, not because you figure the pet could be rare in the next couple months, and will help you get the next rare you miss.

Although, I'm pretty sure that some people 'hoard' for that reason as well.

Image Image
DisabledLlama

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby starcrusher » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:06 am

Along with your reasons for hoarding--some people hoard all pets that were born on a specific day, usually their birthday. ;D
starcrusher

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jeweled » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:04 am

DisabledLlama wrote:
FlitterRayne wrote:Something else you might point out is the strategic point hoarding can have. ;)

I've noticed someone hoarding a specific type of pet, and I've always wondered at it. I got to thinking about what advantage it -could- have for them.

If you're a hardcore trader, you -could- hoard the uncommon outcome, or a series of pets you think will be sought after in the long term, thinking it could go up in rating in the future.

Meaning: I'm going to hoard the (example, nonexitstant) Sparkleberry Swirl dog. It's the uncommon outcome. In 2 months, possibly more, that uncommon could turn to rare. Now I'll have 20-50-More rare pets to trade.

Now, not every uncommon would turn into rares. Or, even rares that someone would want all the time. But...if you plan well, I can see how finding a pet, or series of pets, that people are raving about, that's aesthetically pleasing and well liked, could very well be sought after in the future by people who are newer to CS. Even newbies can get rare outcomes you know, so they might just be willing to trade them. ;) ((Meaning, never discount the newbies!))

Just my two cents. I'd, personally, never hoard. I don't see the point in it, besides strategic value, but I personally prefer to have only 1 pet, and maybe some in trades. But I wouldn't go crazy for it, nor drive my brain crazy trying to figure out which is tomorrow's winner. :lol:

For me, hoarding doesn't mean 'Oh this will totally be rare after a few months! I must have 50 of them for trading fodder!'.
I think that if your going to hoard, do it because you want to keep them, not because you figure the pet could be rare in the next couple months, and will help you get the next rare you miss.

Although, I'm pretty sure that some people 'hoard' for that reason as well.

Isn't it hoarding however you look at it? xD

I hoard because I like the designs (but I also tend to lean toward dogs with blue eyes for some reason). Along the way I tend to end up with rares, and so I can end up using them as trade fodder if I ever decide to 'break up' the hoard. Take, for example, the fact that I unintentionally ended up with a whole pile of null PPS's; you can do both at once -- hoard for pleasure and advantage. C:
Jeweled

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kidar_Wolf » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:10 pm

Nice guide to hoards :)

I hoard pets that look like my real ones, and horses that look like ones I rode at my old riding school. Those two are pretty fun, simple hoards to keep track of. Kind of tricky finding animals that match the real ones though :)
Kidar_Wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Turq8 » Sun May 02, 2010 9:11 am

I keep my hoards pretty simple- I hoard the October '09 sparkle dogs. 3 variations; 2 common, 1 uncommon, so I can have a varity and a challenge if I want, and I just love the way they look! I have...*counts on fingers* about 106, I believe, but it's a never ending hoard for me, I love them too much! I also just started hoarding Maus' dogs from last month, because I love how they look. Also a common/very common hoard.
(Possibly) Back after a long hiatus!
If you have any questions or need help, feel free to ask me, I'm always happy to help!

Turq8

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 'Possum » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:14 am

Interesting guide.

I've got a ton of hoards. Most of them started by accident after I realized I kept collecting the same pets over and over again in trades. It's like some of them I just can't resist. And the list is getting longer and longer. I only have about four or five hoards that were specific and intentionally thought out with a plan and a goal and an exact target number. Other than that it's just I see it in somebody's trades folder, I like it, I send a trade for it and I've got another Jan' 09 Dark Eyed Leopard Dog. ^_^ So the majority of my hoards are never ending because I just can't stop collecting them.

One hoard I have that's different and I just thought of it because I got another trade for some is my Pool Ball Pony hoard. I'm hoarding them until I get enough to put them in proper numerical order in my collection. Then they're going to whoever wants them so I never have to look at them again because they're driving me nuts. :lol: So I guess that's a temporary hoard for the sake of arranging certain pets in a particular order.
'Possum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby paigeandclyde » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:29 am

this is a great guide!

...just one thing. the link in the bottom of the first post doesn't work... ;)
paigeandclyde

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Seasonal » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:31 am

Thanks for letting me know. :3 The guide hasn't been posted on in a while so I couldn't find it and since there is yet another records thread, I hadn't updated it.

I'm glad that you like it. C:

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗
about - characters - trades
need to contact CS staff?
submit a help ticket here!
╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝
Seasonal
Admin Assistant

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rosalind » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:54 am

Great guide Seasonal!

Hi there, I'm Rosalind!
I used to be a General Helper
so if you are looking for any help send in a help ticket. CS's amazing team will help you!
I'm not very active anymore, although I occasionally pop on so replies to PMs and trades could be slow.

[Character Thread] [Fursona Thread]

ImageImageImageImageImage
Rosalind

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Razzle~ » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:47 pm

I have another idea to add to the hoard ideas. Pets who look like your real life ones.

I hoard the white Shima PPS pups because they look like my dog, Blizzard, and that's why I named the group 'Blizzard team'. XD

Lots of people have CS pets who are their favorites because they look like their RL pets, so they hoard them.
so I haven't been on this site in like, forever, so I'm briefly back on to get rid of lots of my pets in exchange for art of my dog. Also if you do art and want pets send me a pm I'd love to work something out
You can contact me on my tumblr - @puppiesfortheblind - if I don't respond in a reasonable timeframe
~Razzle~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me