Recent Rarity Change List [January Update in progress!!]

Discussion about the Pets, Items, Dress-ups, Events, Site, Forum or other CS features!

Re: Recent Rarity Change List

Postby Thalassic » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:19 am

████ I'm sure this has been discussed before, but is anyone sure about why the dramatic drop in rarity?
    I mean, this pet right here, as long as I remember it, it has always been rare, but now it is uncommon all of a sudden.. and no explanation I can come up with makes sense at all, since usually mot pets go up in their rarity instead of going down.
xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x
xxxxxxxx

x
x
xxx

x
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Zan | NB | they/them | pan/ace
xxxxxx lgbtq+ | atheist | satanist | artist xxxxxx
sig art ; avatar art
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x

xxxxxxxx
x
x
xxxxxx

x

xxxxxxx
Thalassic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lucky333123 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:26 am

Zanjux wrote:
    ████ I'm sure this has been discussed before, but is anyone sure about why the dramatic drop in rarity?
    I mean, this pet right here, as long as I remember it, it has always been rare, but now it is uncommon all of a sudden.. and no explanation I can come up with makes sense at all, since usually mot pets go up in their rarity instead of going down.

There could have been a lot of that spider that was rereleased or a members who have a bunch of them could have come back.
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
──────────────────
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
──────────────────

───────────────────────────
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

┌────────────┐

If you need any help, feel
free to ask ^.^ dates matter
I am a holibomber!
I have gifted _60_ people.
I have received _35_ gifts.

└────────────┘
┌────────────┐

└────────────┘
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
lucky333123

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Fuzzeh » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:49 am

lucky333123 wrote:
Zanjux wrote:

There could have been a lot of that spider that was rereleased or a members who have a bunch of them could have come back.

A lot of people come back around December only for the rerelease. Probably just a bunch of people with the spider did so.
Fuzzeh

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Obius » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:32 am

You know... Maybe the rarities are not as true as we all like to believe....

Let me explain (hopefully without coming off as against the site). We all know pet rarities must manually be assigned for each pet as it is not straight up automated by the server. This allows for a few advantages. It allows Tess & the admins to fudge the rarity if certain pets are expected to be less common. This especially if expectations are high for event pets. Or if a demand on a pet isn't as good as the staff liked, things can be tweaked a little. It allows the staff to control the market and please more people. Once the event is long gone, they can shift it bck to where it was. Or (as evil as this nay be) even make a pet more "common" to improve trading on it. You may not like the thought of it, but until all pets get automatically updated in real time, they will always have some say on pet demand.

Another thing is few would be able to tell exactly how rare a pet really is because th actual numbers are secret. If they were public, we would instantly know where a pet sits value wise and would not trade lower numbered pets as easily. It might even kill trading in extreme cases or create major demand runs. Which is why I suspect Nick not doing anymore "most wished for pets". Another thing is there would be more open objections during rereleases as we would know how many got out. So I can see why numbers are secret.

Heck the rarity system has been majorly tweaked already. It wouldn't surprise me if its done multiple times over.
Paying 6 c$ per each!
.Image

We come bearing COOKIES!!!
ImageImage
I love Lemurs!
Obius

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DaDwarf » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:41 am

@WASSAP , staff does not 'tweak' rarities to influence demand lol rarities are pretty much set after they are set/put up.

But, in yer second point, yes, we don't actually know the numbers.

Here's an example:
1000 points = common
500 points = uncommon
300 points = rare
100 points = very rare.

Now for example, we have a very rare. This pet has 100 points because (very rough example plz) there's 100 pets just like it on the site, while there are 1000 people. Which means only 1 out of 10 people has the pet.

Now, during the rerelease, 1 more of these pets get released. That means that, it's no longer 100 points, but 101 points THUS getting it bumped down to rare. As soon as a couple more members join CS, it will go back up to very rare because that restores the balance.

This is very rough and it's very late for me so excuse if i don't make sense lol
DaDwarf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Obius » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:53 am

I can't be sure on that. If the rarity is set, we would know it automatically after the last day of the last pet to grow up. I am pretty sure this can be automated for less workload. Also while staff can't tweak rarities, it doesn't stop admins or the site owners from pushing a rarity to its nearest tag. So an uncommon easter dog that is just short of rare could easily be nudged a little. In the end, no one would know. Most staff wouldn't know anyways cause such a decision is made by 1 to 4 people. And being able to alter the market can be very useful if trading activity is down.
Paying 6 c$ per each!
.Image

We come bearing COOKIES!!!
ImageImage
I love Lemurs!
Obius

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lena. » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:15 am

WASSAP wrote:I can't be sure on that. If the rarity is set, we would know it automatically after the last day of the last pet to grow up. I am pretty sure this can be automated for less workload. Also while staff can't tweak rarities, it doesn't stop admins or the site owners from pushing a rarity to its nearest tag. So an uncommon easter dog that is just short of rare could easily be nudged a little. In the end, no one would know. Most staff wouldn't know anyways cause such a decision is made by 1 to 4 people. And being able to alter the market can be very useful if trading activity is down.

Yeah but why would the admins do that. It doesn't really make sense nudging a pet up, because as dadwarf said if a few more people joined it would go up anyway. And as for the rarity showing up the day after the pets final growth that in my opinion would make it all very confusing. I mean if every pet that grows gets its rarity at random times throughout the month it would to me seem confusing keeping track of all the months rarity changes. And seeing as trading activity fluctuates I honestly do not think the admins would change pets rarity to keep it going. I don't think anything to do with trading activity would really concern them unless it was really extreme (and even then I don't think they would bump up or down rarities) because as the admins of the site I think they have much more important things to do with the site than things that can be easily changed by the users of the site.

Sorry if all that is confusing (I'm really tired :P)

●►►► ℓɛиα. ◄◄◄●

♫ let's pack our bags and run,
get away from everyone ♫

`•.¸¸.•'•.¸¸.•'•.¸¸.•'•.¸¸.•'•.¸¸.•'•.¸¸.•'•.¸¸.•'•.¸¸.•´

My name is Lena, I am an Australian girl and an avid reader, photographer and pianist. Lover of all things unique, beautiful and different.

`•.¸¸.•'•.¸¸.•'•.¸¸.•'•.¸¸.•'•.¸¸.•'•.¸¸.•'•.¸¸.•'•.¸¸.•´

my siggy shoptrade thread
Lena.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby RavenclawHobbit » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:36 pm

I agree with Lana. What use is it to the staff if rarities fluctuate anyway? There's little to no incentive for them to cheat in that way even if they wanted to, and I like to believe our staff are more scrupulous than that.

Rarities cannot come out as soon as pets grow up because the newborns are available to adopt all month. If a whole bunch of people got online on the 30th and adopted newborns, they could change the "rarity" of the pets they adopted. It would be chaos. So the staff makes the wise decision of waiting until all the newborns are adopted and grown, so we can start off with an accurate picture of their rarity.

I think even more proof that the admins do not and can not nudge rarities is the fact that the Griffon Store pets of 2011 were rare for a few months before turning very rare. This is because of their popular design and the number of people who bought them. If the staff was really interested in fudging the data as you suggest, they would have made them start off as very rare like all the other store pets. But they did not, they let the rarities take their natural course.
Bring your daylight, bring your dark,
    ~~~~~~~Share your silence, and unpack your heart.

My DAMy Art BlogCharacter WebsiteAsk Gavin & Chase
About Me: Call me Raven or Meg, whichever you fancy. I'm female, vegetarian, a guinea pig owner, artist, and horseback rider. I love fandoms, from Harry Potter to Game of Thrones to Chaos Walking to Sherlock and most recently, Star Wars!. I don't log in as frequently as I used to, so please be patient when waiting for PMs and trades.
RavenclawHobbit

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 'Possum » Thu May 01, 2014 1:23 am

So, has anybody else noticed that the Easter pets and everything from April on back has now gotten it's rarity. Aside from the current store pets obviously, as they're still available for another month...

OMG! So...

...Uncommon!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I get so darn tired of the monthly "OMG! Line art edit! It's obviously gonna be Very Rare! " :roll:
Every time we get something eye catching...
It truly does become tedious after a few years...
'Possum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby plutonian » Thu May 01, 2014 4:41 am

'Possum wrote:
So, has anybody else noticed that the Easter pets and everything from April on back has now gotten it's rarity. Aside from the current store pets obviously, as they're still available for another month...

OMG! So...

...Uncommon!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I get so darn tired of the monthly "OMG! Line art edit! It's obviously gonna be Very Rare! " :roll:
Every time we get something eye catching...
It truly does become tedious after a few years...

Haha, I was like SEEE when the lion was uncommon only. It wasn't that rare even; demand made it seem rare. I seen most users get average of 2 of the Jester PPS.

Wow; half of the Easter pets are rare. And the blue and white spotted bunny is only uncommon. ^^;
╔═━»━═╗
=
╚═━«━═╝
╔═══───══───═══╗
==
==
=====ImageImage⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
╚═══───══───═══╝
plutonian

My pets
My items
My wishlist